Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE server for darkfall UW?

Comments

• Ragnarok_delRagnarok_del Member UncommonPosts: 15

I was talking about the community, as in forum members not subscriptions. Darkfall never even reached 50 000 sales mostly because it was taking soooooooooooooooooooooo long to be able to buy the game.

It took me over a month to be able to buy it. A lot of people never got to buy the game, especially americans because the sales hour were retarded. (most people were working/sleeping when the shop opened and it only lasted for 5 minutes.)

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by RagnarokLoW

I was talking about the community, as in forum members not subscriptions. Darkfall never even reached 50 000 sales mostly because it was taking soooooooooooooooooooooo long to be able to buy the game.

It took me over a month to be able to buy it. A lot of people never got to buy the game, especially americans because the sales hour were retarded. (most people were working/sleeping when the shop opened and it only lasted for 5 minutes.)

AV has mentioned what their sales numbers are, and I think it was above that.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    it was at one point, well it was over 500k users for the community, it never reached that in subs not even close.

500k users is irrevelant. They can be bots or players with multiple accounts. For example, in DF, i know a lot of players who  own from 2 to 10 subscriptions. On mmorpg.com, DF 1.0 used to be the most popular game. It was the most popular everydays. That was obviously a spam bot since it wasnt possible to have that many hits and not a single one of them posting a response or a thread for a week long.

Since that day, the popularity of the game was never clear for those who did not tried the game.

Darkfall was the most popular game here because there would be about 6 threads a day from trolls and vaporware nuts comparing conspiracy theories about how the game was a social experiment.

He is referring to after the game launched, not the pre-launch theories. I remember it to. It suddenly jumped up very high in the ratings (not hype meter) for a few days. IIRC the staff here also wound up resetting the entire ranking because of it.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

hmmm, I keep hearing how difficult it is for professional programmers to program.  Maybe additional schooling is in order?

• Ragnarok_delRagnarok_del Member UncommonPosts: 15
    their numbers included trials, double, triple, quadruple account. Juiceman, a hacker on NA went through about  10 to 30 accounts buying each one of them after getting perma-banned for hacking. He made account spoofers live off his hacking.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

AV has mentioned what their sales numbers are, and I think it was above that.

150,000 have bought the game. 

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Don't know... this American was able to buy 2 copies the first day.

1 everday for the next 3 days.  Then I gave up cuz I didn't want to have an account I don't need and no idiot to pay me 3-8x the price I paid for it.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by fascism
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

You really want to throw that stone when DF was all about who could macro there skills to max the quickest, then faceroll underskilled opponents?

Pot meet kettle, seriously.

• robin392robin392 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by googie23
    its a great way to bring alot of new players into the darkfall world and when they are ready they can come to the PvP server and start a new character. never make an option to transfer from PvE to PvP.

Going with the 'NO' crowd on this as well. PvE is meant to fuel the PvP. I agree that it works well in other games, but a PvE server in DF would completely miss the point of the game itself. Conquest and domination are the names of the game. 

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    Originally posted by fascism
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

You really want to throw that stone when DF was all about who could macro there skills to max the quickest, then faceroll underskilled opponents?

Pot meet kettle, seriously.

And the statement was wrong how? It was a throw away comment in response to another (admittedly amusing) throw away comment.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

I do not see the deve team having the time to change the game to fit a more pve ruleset. It would require a ton of work as the game is created from the ground up as a pvp game. Perhaps a softer loot rule and small safe zones would work as a quick attempt for a pve server.

I know from the original DF release that the hardcore epeen crowd act like anything less than full loot, gank-warfare is a sin against the universe but the plain and obvious truth is that a pve server would attract a TON of players DF would not normally get. The devs are simply throwing money away but I applaud their vision and they have the right to stick with it.

I agree with posts above that the best pvp is when pve drives pvp. I've stressed this on MANY occasions over the years but sadly pve sucked quite bad in the original DF. I would not want to see it lessened more by taking out pvp entirely in DF which would flat out ruin the game but softer rulesets could easily be created on a server that has zero impact on players who wish to play on normal servers. There is no reason for purist pvp players to be angry over it if development isn't impacted it.

You stay sassy!

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193
    Does DF have no gameplay value beyond the PvP aspect?
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by futnatus

Very limited in the first game. Almost zero pve purpose other than grinding skills and farming for base creation the guilds mad rushed to using the bugs and exploits they hid from the devs upon release. They added more and more pve content through patches through. It was pretty much a barren world early on. Compare this to Asheron's Call where you would spend countless hours exploring the huge world simply for pve reasons.

I cannot speak of what the current DF pve status is but I know it is somewhat of a focus in the newer version. It is my the most important aspect to the game I look forward to seeing. Pvp, as exciting as it can be, is never anything more than killing players and siege warfare which frankly is repetitive and does not utilize an entire virual world without pve. Everything is resource controlled through crafting which is supposed to drive pve and pvp. The largest issue was the total lack any sort of ecology giving any feel of a living world in which to live in. That is what I hope to improvements in.

You stay sassy!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by xpiher
    A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

I would try the game if it had a PvE server and I am probably not the only one..

UO is still going because of Trammel after all.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

I would try the game if it had a PvE server and I am probably not the only one..

In spite of Trammel you mean.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78

Originally posted by Tamanous

Originally posted by futnatus Does DF have no gameplay value beyond the PvP aspect?
    Very limited in the first game. Almost zero pve purpose other than grinding skills and farming for base creation the guilds mad rushed to using the bugs and exploits they hid from the devs upon release. They added more and more pve content through patches through. It was pretty much a barren world early on. Compare this to Asheron's Call where you would spend countless hours exploring the huge world simply for pve reasons.   I cannot speak of what the current DF pve status is but I know it is somewhat of a focus in the newer version. It is my the most important aspect to the game I look forward to seeing. Pvp, as exciting as it can be, is never anything more than killing players and siege warfare which frankly is repetitive and does not utilize an entire virual world without pve. Everything is resource controlled through crafting which is supposed to drive pve and pvp. The largest issue was the total lack any sort of ecology giving any feel of a living world in which to live in. That is what I hope to improvements in.

This paints a very different picture to the Darkfall I have been playing since release. There have been mobs all over the place for years and people PvE all the time for crafting mats, gold and other stuff. Bare in mind that equipment has a durability in Darkfall so you need to PvE to replace your gear even if you never lose it in a fight. Since Darkfall has a very large map and certain mobs that drop stuff you need for specific things only spawn in some parts of the map travelling to PvE is also something people do.

If you want to see how many mobs are around open this map and tick all mobs on.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by googie23
    its a great way to bring alot of new players into the darkfall world and when they are ready they can come to the PvP server and start a new character. never make an option to transfer from PvE to PvP.

NO.

The devs have said time and time again they will not do this, and while they have been less then honest att times this is the one

thing they have stuck to and i can respect them for that. they didn't do it in DF1 they won't do it in DF2.

Now understand the games either not for you or man up and deal with what the game IS.

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78

Just to show that the world was not barren at release I found a map I made, and it is not fully filled in, for my guild back in the early days after release: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.baldock/df/mapm.jpg

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

The game is not for you then, move along nothing for you to see here.

Sure a 100 carebears will request a major change in DF's core idea so they can play for a month discover its not really a pve game  and then ditch it. Changing Df's core game element on the other hand will drive away most of its current fans.

Call me old school but dumbing down and easyfing any game is not a plus. DF, and DFUW is at its roots a full loot pvp game. if your looking for GW2 or Wow with different style this is porbably not your game. 

Originally posted by futnatus

It has a lot of fantastic exploration and the best monster AI in the industry. There are some decent quests too. Exploring the land and fighting hard monsters with friends almost feels like a COOP Elderscrolls games at time, with the constant threat of PvP danger. I also got hooked on the crafting, but its fairly simple.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

In spite of Trammel you mean.

Well stated image

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Falesh

Just to show that the world was not barren at release I found a map I made, and it is not fully filled in, for my guild back in the early days after release: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.baldock/df/mapm.jpg

Some of parts "not filled in"  weren't in game at release.

Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by Falesh

Some of parts "not filled in"  weren't in game at release.

Yes, they were, actually.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Ok, so I was completely opposed to a pve server for DF:UW.  Earlier in this thread I even stated that it was like asking Blizzard if WoW would ever have a pvp full loot server.  It'll never happen, the developers don't believe that what makes a game good.

Thinking on the subject I came to an interesting compromise for everyone.  What if they had a server that was PvE on certain days of the week and PvP on others.  The PvE-ers could have time to explore, grind out some spells or weapons, craft ... etc.  The PvP-ers would have some sheep to slaughter providing the PvE-ers were at a level of skill they felt comfortable giving it a go.  Say, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday and Sunday, the mixed server would have PvE and consentual PvP.  On Friday and Saturday it would be on ..... open PvP with full Loot.

They could even mix it up a bit more by doing open PvP but not full loot on some days.  I know this goes against the very essence of what Darkfall is. Personally, I am fine with the full loot PvP mechanic, I just know a lot of people wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole because of it.  Just some thoughts on how to ease people into the brutal world that is Darkfall.

It is also entirely possible that this has been mentioned before.  I did not read through the whole thread.  If so, then ...... carry on.

Hairysun

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Really no compromise can be made.  PvE only server would not be the same game.

This discussion has been closed.