Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Happened To The Vision?

Comments

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

How has everyone else failed to use such a simple system?  This would have worked great in The Secret World, and even fit into the lore by simply saying "some of thses guys refuse to get along".  To me it is more ludicrous to think that these three factions that have been fighting for hundreds of years, just decided to play nice without ever having a beef with one another.  That was another huge turn-off about this game.  It just feels like they couldn't decide if it was an adult game, or a kids game sometimes.

Well, having played AoC, another MMO Funcom made and that had FFA PvP: I wouldn't exactly make the comparison of 'safe non-PvP open world' with kiddy game and 'PvP open world' with adult game. The vibe and atmosphere on such PvP MMO's, AoC included, can be toxic and more immature adolescent than their PvE equals. Even more, I can see how the devs might have thought after AoC FFA PvP servers, 'hmm, yeah, let's keep open world non-pvp'. Not saying that they did, but I wouldn't find it surprising if they did.

However, your description of a limited, and voluntary optional PvP system as SWG had sounds like a good alternative too.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by smh_alot

How has everyone else failed to use such a simple system?  This would have worked great in The Secret World, and even fit into the lore by simply saying "some of thses guys refuse to get along".  To me it is more ludicrous to think that these three factions that have been fighting for hundreds of years, just decided to play nice without ever having a beef with one another.  That was another huge turn-off about this game.  

It just feels like they couldn't decide if it was an adult game, or a kids game sometimes.

Well, having played AoC, another MMO Funcom made and that had FFA PvP: I wouldn't exactly make the comparison of 'safe non-PvP open world' with kiddy game and 'PvP open world' with adult game. The vibe and atmosphere on such PvP MMO's, AoC included, can be toxic and more immature adolescent than their PvE equals. Even more, I can see how the devs might have thought after AoC FFA PvP servers, 'hmm, yeah, let's keep open world non-pvp'. Not saying that they did, but I wouldn't find it surprising if they did.

However, your description of a limited, and voluntary optional PvP system as SWG had sounds like a good alternative too.

Yeah, sorry.  That was a bit of a non sequitur.  I meant that as a general statement more than just the PvP aspect.

The cool thing about the opt-in style world PvP, is that if you wanted to completely stay out of it, you could provided you didn't attack things like rebel or imperial faction spawns out in the world.  But even if you did that, you could toggle on-leave and wait for your flag timer to change back to PvE while avoiding people.  I did it all the time.

There were raging PvP fights and duels in some of the cities, and at times I would join in and other times I would watch or go on about my business.  It basically elimates the toxicity that BadSpock was referring to, except for the occasional chump calling you a carebear because you won't duel him.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    It seems to me they could add opt-in flagged open world pvp in TSW and not break the game that's there today. they have the single server tech now -- what's to prevent funcom from overlaying the feature?
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Whether or not their tiny semi-monthly updates are good enough for a sub fee is subjective.   For me, it's not.  Hey, if they start delivering a better gameplay experience, I'll reinstall the game and pay them a sub fee.  Right now, the game isn't worth it to me.  Like many others, I got out of it most of what is there to get.

A better gameplay experience is just as subjective. Maybe we can chock it up to the game not being for you, as there monthly content updates are on par with Rift who was praised for there frequency of updates.

Originally posted by Draron

Whether or not their tiny semi-monthly updates are good enough for a sub fee is subjective.   For me, it's not.  Hey, if they start delivering a better gameplay experience, I'll reinstall the game and pay them a sub fee.  Right now, the game isn't worth it to me.  Like many others, I got out of it most of what is there to get.

A better gameplay experience is just as subjective. Maybe we can chock it up to the game not being for you, as there monthly content updates are on par with Rift who was praised for there frequency of updates.

Apparently, it's not for very many others either...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Ortwig
    It seems to me they could add opt-in flagged open world pvp in TSW and not break the game that's there today. they have the single server tech now -- what's to prevent funcom from overlaying the feature?

Lack of balls.  The same reason we got a themepark with a killer skill wheel

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Well, then I guess you should ask yourself why the game is failing now.  I find it hard to believe that Ragnar's original vision for this game was to create a themepark that had, at best, 60 days worth of gameplay in it unless you want to dungeon grind forever.  In fact, we know there were major changes along the way, including world faction PvP.  The game was dumbed down, and it's clear to see by how robust some systems are, and how lame others are.  It's like they mashed two games together to get it released faster.

60 days of gameplay for who? I don't average more than 2-3 hours of gaming per day including weekends (closer to 2) and TSW certainly isn't the only MMO I play. I'm subbed because it will take me way longer than a mere 2 months to see this storyline to end, especially if I want to play through all 3 factions.

Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Well, then I guess you should ask yourself why the game is failing now.  I find it hard to believe that Ragnar's original vision for this game was to create a themepark that had, at best, 60 days worth of gameplay in it unless you want to dungeon grind forever.  In fact, we know there were major changes along the way, including world faction PvP.  The game was dumbed down, and it's clear to see by how robust some systems are, and how lame others are.  It's like they mashed two games together to get it released faster.

60 days of gameplay for who? I don't average more than 2-3 hours of gaming per day including weekends (closer to 2) and TSW certainly isn't the only MMO I play. I'm subbed because it will take me way longer than a mere 2 months to see this storyline to end, especially if I want to play through all 3 factions.

I'm a casual player as well.  I can assure you that unless you are dragging your feet on purpose, it doesn't take long to finish the game, and that includes grinding your elites and some of the nightmares.

Good on you though.  I hope it lasts for ages for you.  Game's far too shallow for me to hang out past the story line.

Apparently, it's not for very many others either...

True, but it does have the highest metacritic user review of a recent MMO and was the highest rated game here on MMORPG.com for awhile. Take it for what it is. The amount who bought it doesn't matter anyways, it's the retention rate.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Wanda Maximoff nuked him.  Along with most of the rest of the Avengers. (see: Avengers Disassembled)

He got better, eventually.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Funcom is a crappy company end of story.  If this game was put out by anyone other then Funcom I would of given a shot but I do not buy anything from Funcom anymore.  They will never be a A list company.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I do think the OP has a point. I would love to see more sandbox elements to compliment the Story and themepark gameplay. This game would be perfect for player created content. Hopefully we will see some of that in future updates.

I enjoy what is there, I would love to see improments as well.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Wanda Maximoff nuked him.  Along with most of the rest of the Avengers. (see: Avengers Disassembled)

He got better, eventually.

Heheh. Spousal abuse at it's finest. Was wondering if I was the only one who read the title as that.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Icewhite

What Happened To The Vision? Wanda Maximoff nuked him. Along with most of the rest of the Avengers. (see: Avengers Disassembled)He got better, eventually.

Nope. She said 'No More Visions', and that was that. But the Phoenix and Hope will solve everything ^^

Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Well, then I guess you should ask yourself why the game is failing now. I find it hard to believe that Ragnar's original vision for this game was to create a themepark that had, at best, 60 days worth of gameplay in it unless you want to dungeon grind forever. In fact, we know there were major changes along the way, including world faction PvP. The game was dumbed down, and it's clear to see by how robust some systems are, and how lame others are. It's like they mashed two games together to get it released faster.

I'm a casual player as well. I can assure you that unless you are dragging your feet on purpose, it doesn't take long to finish the game, and that includes grinding your elites and some of the nightmares.

Good on you though. I hope it lasts for ages for you. Game's far too shallow for me to hang out past the story line.

I think it's best when talking about length of gameplay, it's best to talk in concrete gameplay or /played hours, not in actual days bc the average time someone plays per day can vary a lot per person. Gameplay hours is better. For example, I'd estimate to reach level cap in GW2 something like 120-150 hours if you play it for the very first time. However, how long that'll take in real days and weeks, that'll vary from 1 person to the next. Person A can achieve L80 in 7-10 days of playing, while person B might do several months about it, while the actual amount of gameplay hours of the two persons to reach L80 might not even be that far apart at all.

Hmm, I don't know. The modern day horror/dark fantasy setting, the no levels and no classes thing, the more challenging than usual in an MMO Investigation Missions and a number of other quests and mob encounters, I think there are actually quite a number of aspects where they've shown that they're not afraid to stray away from the norm. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't or couldn't do it in other ways as well that they didn't, but it'd be an unfair dismissal of the things they did have the balls to do differently to not acknowledge those. After all, you only have to look at some other AAA themepark MMO's that stayed far closer to the themepark concept and took less risks in changing features how it also could have been done.

Hmmmm I'm not sure that's exactly the case. They took quite a few gambles by doing a niche modern day setting, level less progression, investigation missions etc. lots of innovation and I know they've been hinting at player created content. The SWG model of opt in open pvp sounds ideal. I love the idea of not completely segregating pve and pvp players and it could introduce some very cool story elements as well.  Of any company I'd actually bet on funcom to make this sort of leap.  

Just chiming in to say Funcom has a lack of balls for not implementing a PVP toggle overlooks them going against the norm. Any reason outside of lack of balls would better explain why it's not there.
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Other than their interesting skill system FunCom's TSW is a buggy mess and should never have been released in the state it was in. they announced the game way to early built up to much hype and released way to early.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

Just chiming in to say Funcom has a lack of balls for not implementing a PVP toggle overlooks them going against the norm. Any reason outside of lack of balls would better explain why it's not there.

Agreed. I'd almost say schedule, budget, resources,developer exhaustion would be more likely reasons.  I bet if you cornered Ragnar he'd actually be in favor of it. 

Originally posted by Presbytier
    Other than their interesting skill system FunCom's TSW is a buggy mess and should never have been released in the state it was in. they announced the game way to early built up to much hype and released way to early.

Judging from the reviews it's received, it's far from a buggy mess and wasn't released too early. Not saying it doesn't have bugs, but it's a far cry from say GW2's unfinished higher level zones DE's. I couldn't go an evening on my 60ish Warrior with running into a DE that was bugged. And that's from a company that said it was released "when it's ready".

Edit: Didn't mean this to sound like an attack on GW2. I think it's a great game, was only using a recently launched game as an example.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Funny, I've ran into one bug the entire time I've been playing. Just for an example of another recently launched game, GW2, I've ran into 4 bugs in one playtime. Mind sharing what bugs you've ran into that made it a mess?

sure most is fixed by now but when I played chat was a horrid mess and was constantly going down completely IE no one could world chat at all. There was another bug that cause you to lose all your custom chat channel settings anytime you zones anywhere. Gear managment was a mess swapping builds would usually not save gear and sometimes random abilities would drop off.. Numerous quests were bugged if multiple people tried to interact with the same object at the same time. Those were my main issues through launch upto 3 weeks in.. but again sure most of these are fixed by now

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Funny, I've ran into one bug the entire time I've been playing. Just for an example of another recently launched game, GW2, I've ran into 4 bugs in one playtime. Mind sharing what bugs you've ran into that made it a mess?

sure most is fixed by now but when I played chat was a horrid mess and was constantly going down completely IE no one could world chat at all. There was another bug that cause you to lose all your custom chat channel settings anytime you zones anywhere. Gear managment was a mess swapping builds would usually not save gear and sometimes random abilities would drop off.. Numerous quests were bugged if multiple people tried to interact with the same object at the same time. Those were my main issues through launch upto 3 weeks in.. but again sure most of these are fixed by now

Yea, they've been working on them. I edited the post after you quoted to make it clear I wasn't bashing GW2. But IMO, bugs that halt progress are far worse than having to manually change your gear or such. The quest bug isn't really a bug, only one player can use a quest item at once. Even still, it's far from a buggy mess that the person I quoted mentioned.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

Judging from the reviews it's received, it's far from a buggy mess and wasn't released too early. Not saying it doesn't have bugs, but it's a far cry from say GW2's unfinished higher level zones DE's. I couldn't go an evening on my 60ish Warrior with running into a DE that was bugged. And that's from a company that said it was released "when it's ready".

Edit: Didn't mean this to sound like an attack on GW2. I think it's a great game, was only using a recently launched game as an example.

I played TSW day one and thereafter for three weeks. The game suffered from severe performance lag, RAM leakage and other poor optimization issues. Not to meantion bad and unfinished character animations and graphics. GW2 launched exceptionally smoot in comparison.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Yea, they've been working on them. I edited the post after you quoted to make it clear I wasn't bashing GW2. But IMO, bugs that halt progress are far worse than having to manually change your gear or such. The quest bug isn't really a bug, only one player can use a quest item at once. Even still, it's far from a buggy mess that the person I quoted mentioned.

all games have bugs just really depends how game breaking they are to people and how fast the devs fix them that really matters

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

TSW is no more buggy than any other mmo on the market today. they all have glitches and funcom has been pretty responsive given all the turmoil at the company. they held back an issue to deal with a major exploit. the only reason I wish they had held back was to release the game in October and advertise the hell out of it.   the game is solid though. 

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Rayshe

i donno, it was exactly what i was asking for. your generalizing alot there, and speaking for alot of people who probubly dont agree with you.

Funny thing about this whole "your own Storyline" it doesnt work in anything other than a Sandbox game. if you want your story hardwired into the system you need to play a Tabletop, because that wont happen otherwise. As it stands im playing the game with a bunch of Dagon Worshopers who create their own part of the storyline within the game setting. We stage events and have discussions in the local Pub. as of late our storyline has been the fight against the Renegade Draug who have turned away from Dagon to worshop The sword Beaumont uses in Solomon Island (i hate giving spoilers so i wont name said sword).

The ability to have your own story is there. you just need to play it but as i said, "your own Storyline" cant be hardwired into the system and this is not a sandbox game. It doesnt mean you cant still create a setting and play. ya know what, if your started a story you would probubly find others to join you.  

Before you accuse me of not knowing what a sandbox is, my 2 favorate games other than TSW was Face of Mankind and Eve.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  My post was basically an op-ed.  However, I still think if the game was more hybrid or sandbox in nature, it would have a much stronger and larger niche market.  Again, my opinion.

It's failing because it never really brought anything new to the table just like Rift and SWTOR didn't bring anything new to the table.  Very intriguing setting, some nice quests but when you look at the mechanics at it's core it never really brought anything new to the table.  If you put out a game with good mechanics then your game will succeed, if you don't then it will have lack-luster performance.

In the end very early off people already knew this would be a very niche crowd.  Those who are fed up with the fantasy will enjoy TSW but those that are looking for a new innovative game won't find it in TSW which just copied the mechanics of WoW just like every other MMO company with the exception of a select few.