Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't really see why people like this gam so much

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by Mardukk

It will be one of the first Sandparks.  Basically a themepark with a lot more freedom.  I don't think it's hype it's more hope that it will work, as it will be the first of it's kind.

My only concern is that the combat will be WoW type combat.  I think GW2 (and even TSW) nailed MMO combat and it will be tough going back to WoW style.

GW2 has terrible combat IMO.. 

Well it's certainly more interesting than WoW combat (talking solo PvE).  Maybe if WoW added a dodge/evade mechanic it would be ok.  Maybe AA will add this?  

I would put up with quest hubs and WoW combat for some of the systems this game is said to have.  

People that argue against  wanting more freedom perplex me.  Hell, I would even put up with PvP if it actually meant something.  Let me ruin faction by killing my own guards or players, give me the freedom to be an idiot but have consequences in place for those actions.  Things like this are why I'm excited for this game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It will be one of the first Sandparks.  Basically a themepark with a lot more freedom.  I don't think it's hype it's more hope that it will work, as it will be the first of it's kind.

My only concern is that the combat will be WoW type combat.  I think GW2 (and even TSW) nailed MMO combat and it will be tough going back to WoW style.

Well it's certainly more interesting than WoW combat (talking solo PvE).  Maybe if WoW added a dodge/evade mechanic it would be ok.  Maybe AA will add this? 

Hopefully.  When I saw AA's combat, it brought my hype meter back to earth.  I'm still looking forward to it though, for it's other features, but like I've said in the past, combat means a lot to me, and it'd be hard going back to that kind of combat after playing a few of this year's releases.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Forget your hopes about dodging.   Adding dodge to AA combat would have same sense as adding it to WoW's combat. 

This would need drastic changes in skills number, skills actual effects, in itemization, character development and animations. 

It is too late now.  Remember AA is in totally last stages of production.   Polishing and creating content.      What you're asking is bascially redoing combat system from scratch - not gonna happen- because of above things it would require as well.

Of course just adding dodge-roll button and animations would not be so hard, but as I said It would not make sense without totally redoing everything else in combat.   Imagine WoW, Swtor or EQ combat with real dodge....unless you want just a way to get out of a fire dodging rather than runnin out.

Still this type of combat was fun for me for few years and I think it can be fun again.

As for GW2  - it'scombat imho works great in WvWvW.   It is boring as hell in PvE though.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Since most haven't played it yet, many like the idea of this game. Hope drives hype better than anything else with MMOs. It overrides all logic, reason and history.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Since the vast, vast, vast majority haven't tried it, people aren't in a position to say they like or dislike it.  As for being hyped by it, who can say.  The grass is always greener on games that are upcoming.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Tera 2.0

You heard it here first folks.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Keylogger

Tera 2.0

It can't be Tera 2.0 without the zero tab target action combat.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Hopefully.  When I saw AA's combat, it brought my hype meter back to earth.  I'm still looking forward to it though, for it's other features, but like I've said in the past, combat means a lot to me, and it'd be hard going back to that kind of combat after playing a few of this year's releases.

There is nothing great about having two invulnerability buttons on cooldown, because that's all GW2's "dodge" is. If you want to see true dodge, you'll have to play TSW. For all it's faults in combat, the implementation of dodge is actually true to its name. It allows you to dodge out of harms way. If you dodge inside the damage field, you'll get hit, unlike GW2, where you can dodge inside a massive enemy crater of hate and don't get a scratch.

Down state? Sure, that's a nice idea and it works great both in PvE and PvP. It forces people to expose themselves to try and save their mates in PvP, it gives one last chance in PvE. GW2's "dodge" however is just a cheap way to include invulnerability into the game. Invulnerability jump would be a most appropriate title.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Originally posted by Eir_S

There is nothing great about having two invulnerability buttons on cooldown, because that's all GW2's "dodge" is. If you want to see true dodge, you'll have to play TSW. For all it's faults in combat, the implementation of dodge is actually true to its name. It allows you to dodge out of harms way. If you dodge inside the damage field, you'll get hit, unlike GW2, where you can dodge inside a massive enemy crater of hate and don't get a scratch.

Down state? Sure, that's a nice idea and it works great both in PvE and PvP. It forces people to expose themselves to try and save their mates in PvP, it gives one last chance in PvE. GW2's "dodge" however is just a cheap way to include invulnerability into the game. Invulnerability jump would be a most appropriate title.

I kind of agree with you, but I think the implimentation of a more in-depth dodge system would have cost them both in money and time.  The fact remains, I was personally not thrilled with the very static looking combat of AA.  That does NOT mean I won't play the game... if anything, it would be a sub model payment plan that kept me away.  GW2's combat doesn't impress me just because of dodge.  The area of its combat that impressed me more was the ability to use 90% of your skills while moving.  If AA does that, it's taking a large leap in the right direction, in my opinion.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Tera 2.0You heard it here first folks.

Trust me AA is no Tera..lol

Does Tera have player built castles, that you siege over for resources ?

http://youtu.be/Bs4VWg2PjpE

• pdabb38pdabb38 Member Posts: 43
    Well, if  it lets ranged dps fire/cast while running like in GW2,I hope the clip range is far enough out so it could be possible to get away from a zerg of casters/archers. Guild cites and resourses sounds like what shadowbane had, which was its best feature(maybe the only good feature).Having a seperate safe zone for pve is okay, It worked good in DAoC. Will it have persistant dungeons or is it all instanced?
  • LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

http://steparu.com/reviews/mmo-rpg-reviews/672-archeage-online-review

one of your best resources for the game.  Check it out and enjoy.  The game definitely has potential but like all games watching/observing a game is completely different then playing it since there are too many nuances that we need to experience ourselves to judge the game properly.  

Also check out   http://www.steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/879-black-desert-online-preview another game with potential.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by Laross

http://steparu.com/reviews/mmo-rpg-reviews/672-archeage-online-review

one of your best resources for the game.  Check it out and enjoy.  The game definitely has potential but like all games watching/observing a game is completely different then playing it since there are too many nuances that we need to experience ourselves to judge the game properly.  

Also check out   http://www.steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/879-black-desert-online-preview another game with potential.

Other than Char Creation, Steparu avoided CBT5 entirely, and seemingly much of the end of CBT4. Good videos, but hardly current.

XLGames official channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/archeage?feature=g-user-u  XLGames

Russian:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcheageAdvaita?feature=g-user-u  Advaita Guild

http://www.youtube.com/user/HoTTab1CHtv?feature=g-user-u   HoTTab1CH

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL74DDD3FEE1FA19F7  Goha.ru

German:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bcofido?feature=g-user-u  ArcheAge.de

English:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF193916B5B916DBE  YogCast

Voiceless:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmaterasuOkamiYami?feature=g-user-u

Yes, a VERY depressing scarcity of english language videos. Yogcast not withstanding.

• ShenjShimpoShenjShimpo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Deleted User

People will get behind anything that has hype or appears to be popular.

Also, there was some mis-information spread around that this was going to be some epic sandbox...which its not.

its a sandbox!" hype that was placed upon it...so its going to be hard to tell how this one will pan out.

it is a sandbox game play it first before saying craps thx

i did

• ShenjShimpoShenjShimpo Member Posts: 16

I think TSW nailed MMO combat and it will be tough going back to WoW style.

WHAT ??

it is one of the worst combat an mmo could ever done

as for gw2 there is nothing original in its combat....its just another tab target combat game wich is fine i dont care but nothing original at all

combat wise TERA is the best but apart that the game is crap

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Topherpunch
    I am not here to bash the game, I am just looking for wisdom and some highlights as to what makes this game so awesome. I do enjoy the next new MMO much like the next guy, it is just finding a good reason why it is a good game is my problem. What makes this game stand out? I would rather hear it from someone who actually played it though.

You and I both brother, you and I both.

Nothing about AA makes me swoon with anticipation.

Coming from someone who adores GW2 and is waiting on TESO despite not knowing anything other than it being a blatant SWTOR clone I'm not sure your words carry much weight, no offense.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Topherpunch
    I am not here to bash the game, I am just looking for wisdom and some highlights as to what makes this game so awesome. I do enjoy the next new MMO much like the next guy, it is just finding a good reason why it is a good game is my problem. What makes this game stand out? I would rather hear it from someone who actually played it though.

Unlimited freedom.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Tera 2.0

Trust me AA is no Tera..lol

Does Tera have player built castles, that you siege over for resources ?

http://youtu.be/Bs4VWg2PjpE

Well.. as i watched this vid i genuinely thought how boring this combat looks. Ok, i know it is the well know tab targeting combat as we all know since EQ(DAoC, Wow or any other game), but the point is this kind of combat was even boring at the past when EQ launched first. At that time i thought, and as much as i know, almost everyone else, ok, we have to endure this kind of combat, because another kind of combat isnt possible in a massive multiplayer environment with the latency issues and all that stuff.

But is that true nowadays? With broadband internet and a lot better latency, too?

I really like sandbox games, i really like a deepth economy, and a lot what i see about ArcheAge is what i wished for a long time for a mmo. But i seriously dont know if i can stand that kind of combat any longer. And GW2 isnt that different.. ok, you can move during casting, and you can some kind of dodge. But well... it will not change anyway, this game is almost ready in the last beta phases.. they will not change something fundamental like the combat. So i have to try and look if i can stand that kind of combat one more time.

BUT please developers, come up with something better, something more involving.. think along Mount&Blade and improve upon that and make it playable in a massive multiplayer environment.. Please, come on.. just try it.

And about Tera.. it is at least a step in the right direction, when it comes down to combat.. but the standing still until my skill and the animation is done is as awkward as the complete tab targeting combat and should really just die out.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Smikis
    sandbox themepark  (........)

made me laugh, thx for that :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Thane
    sandbox themepark  (........)

made me laugh, thx for that :)

I like to look at it like a sandbox with tools and toys in the box. The toys are more of the themepark gameplay, but the beauty from my understanding is, if you dont want to play with a certian toy in the box, its your choice.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185
    castle building, house building/furnishing, raising battle pets, underwater treasure hunting,  planting trees/crop, milking cows, hang gliding, building boats, giant seat monsters, ship transportation, destorying pretty much anything you can build in the the game. Whats not too like? Only thing I can think of is the combat looks boring but everthing else looks amazing & I'll take all the sandbox features over cut scenes & voice acting as the main strong point of a game anytime.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    sandbox themepark , no such game existed so far, you either have poor quality broken zero content indie sandbox, or themeparks we beat in a month and had too many in last 10 years, fact that it have more new features than every game in last 10 years combined, helps it too

sandbox themepark = themepark...so funny how they try to advertise that..lol.  Game looked good early on...but now its just starting to look like everything else.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

People do not like Archeage, they fall to Archeage hype.

2 different things.

• zigzagsIIzigzagsII Member UncommonPosts: 11
    OP, nobody likes this game yet since nobody here speaking english has ever played it. Its just the pre release hype that happens in every game. As we learn from history, it means absolutely nothing and in no way is an indication of a game's future success.
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by zigzagsII
    OP, nobody likes this game yet since nobody here speaking english has ever played it. Its just the pre release hype that happens in every game. As we learn from history, it means absolutely nothing and in no way is an indication of a game's future success.

You would be suprissed how many English speaking players played the CBT's, but we are posting on fansites rather then here, since 80% of the posters here are trolls and they are getting manipulated with advertisements from GW2, WoW, D3 and so on (by the big west companies, who just care about the income).

Im not saying that AA is perfect, it still needs some optimizing. Ive been trying out all the new games, starting from GW2, TSW... and ive enjoyed AA lot more than these, even tho that i didn'd understood a word on Korean. The game is complex, already has lots of elements (even more to come) and its harder than the usual western MMO's (even tho that they started to make it easier in some aspects during CBT5, hope they give up on this "make it easier" cancer, and give us back the challenge what we enjoyed earlier in MMO's pre WoW).