Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Review] Guild Wars 2: Raising the Bar

17810121321

Comments

  • JackdogJackdog Charleston, SCPosts: 6,344Member

    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

    This game offers what I want, and that's enough for me. It's fun, it's not tiresome, It has tons of stuff to do, It gives lots of choice, It's beautiful.

     

    my feelings exactly, only thing I would add is no sub fee. It ain't perfect but it is a damn sight better than any other fantasy based MMO in my opinion

    I miss DAoC

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal
     

    My theory, my definition.  Burnout for theory this means anything more than 6 months.

    so basically your theory is anyone who played wow for  > 6 months even if not consecutivley enjoys GW2 more than people who played wow for <6 months? To me just seems like people who enjoy themeparks for the most part enjoy this game more because it's one of the best themeparks ever made.

    My theory is...  if playedTimeWoW >= 6 months then GW2_score = high

             

    guess it works considering you would know all of the issues wow had in the core questing and gameplay mechanics and how much GW2 improves on these issues imho:)

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by laserit
    Have you guys all tried this new game? Maybe Bill should review it, it's called Forum Wars

    Yeah, but I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription.  

  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

    I think some folks are forgetting that reviews are also opinions. Bill is no more qualified than any of you to rate games, he's just giving his personal experience, which is probably part of his job. If you treat reviews as definitive guides to which games you should play, then you're probably missing out on some truely enjoyable gameplay.

    Personally, I'd give GW2 an 8.0. I can't see the 9.3 score myself. Maybe Bill has been taking lessons from Bitton, who reviewed D3 and scored it an 8.5. image

     

    But a "review" is a critical analysis by definition.  It's more than just an opinion.  And being that he has stamped it with the "official MMORPG review" stamp it carries a bit more weight than any of the others here.

    There is a big difference between a scholarly review, or critical analysis, and a review by a peer. Bill is a gamer just like you and I. AFAIK, he has no technical aptitude or skill in game development, so it would be improper for him to conduct a critical analysis of any game architecture.

    Besides, gameplay reviews hardly fall into the "serious critique" category. They are not about the underlying technology, they are about gameplay. They belong with movie reviews and music reviews, i.e, other forms of entertainment.

    Optional PvP = No PvP
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Wow wasn't the first themepark

    EQ was
  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

    I think some folks are forgetting that reviews are also opinions. Bill is no more qualified than any of you to rate games, he's just giving his personal experience, which is probably part of his job. If you treat reviews as definitive guides to which games you should play, then you're probably missing out on some truely enjoyable gameplay.

    Personally, I'd give GW2 an 8.0. I can't see the 9.3 score myself. [mod edit]

     

    But a "review" is a critical analysis by definition.  It's more than just an opinion.  And being that he has stamped it with the "official MMORPG review" stamp it carries a bit more weight than any of the others here.

    There is a big difference between a scholarly review, or critical analysis, and a review by a peer. Bill is a gamer just like you and I. AFAIK, he has no technical aptitude or skill in game development, so it would be improper for him to conduct a critical analysis of any game architecture.

    Besides, gameplay reviews hardly fall into the "serious critique" category. They are not about the underlying technology, they are about gameplay. They belong with movie reviews and music reviews, i.e, other forms of entertainment.

    I take my movie reviews quite seriously, thank you very much.

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

    with 56 critic reviews with an average score of 91 i'd say Bill is pretty much on par with every other critic.

    Almost 1400 gamespot user average 9.1

     

    Ive watched gamespot user reviews for years now and the average from there has always been a lot closer to what I feel about a game.. well closer than metacritic user reviews at least

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Pacific Northwest, WAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wow wasn't the first themepark

    EQ was

    Actually, the roller coaster was, with the ferris wheel coming in a close second.

    Optional PvP = No PvP
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Orlando, FLPosts: 448Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    I totally agree with that score - which is well deserved just for having the "balls" to get away from the WoW clone model in an AAA theme park MMORPG. And it's a success.

    Those who don't like it are for most either bitter sandbox fan who are just hating on every new MMORPG anyway (so their opinion isn't worth much), or prisoners of the EQ/WoW clone model where everything should be a grind for a shiny purple reward instead of just playing for fun.

    There are very few MMORPGs I'd rate above 9.0 in the 17+ years I'm playing the graphic version of that genre - and GW2 is one of them.

    I would say that most of the people hating on it are bored. The idea of the game seemed better than the actual implementation. There are tons of posts of people who didn't realize what combat would be like minus the trinity or a game without gear / vertical progression. There are a lot of people who don't want to redo content being down leveled. They are not all "bitter" sandbox fans or "prisoners" of the WoW/EQ model. Even if they are, why must you demean them for something they like. To them, grinding for that purple may be fun.

    They are bored precisely because they need that gear carrot from EQ/WoW clones. Without it, they can't play a game... they can't play a game just for fun, like many did in games like UO and AC1.

    And yes, I "demean" them... I demean people who need a game to be a second job at max level to play it. And I do that because they are the main cause why all AAA MMORPGs in the last 8 years are WoW clones. I'm glad to have a game where the gameplay doesn't drastically change and force you into a group based raid grind at max level. Seriously, all those grind greedy people can play WoW or any of its numerous clones, and just stay the hell away from the only AAA theme park game in 8 years which had the balls to move away from that rigid model.

    PS: this comes from a guy who played WoW for 8 years (including beta) and will certainly try Pandaria at some point. But for hell's sake, it's time to break that mold... for those who want more WoW, there is WOW. I'm glad to have a game that is NOT WoW. Not to mention all those who have tried to imitate the master sucked at it.

    The endless chain of mediocre to bad WoW clones is broken. Any true MMORPG fan should rejoice, even if he doesn't like GW2, because despite him not liking it, the game is a success showing that things can be done differently. Or do you guys want to spend the next 10 years getting more poor WoW clone after poor WoW clone?

    To some people that is fun..... Who are you to dictate what is fun to a person. I see you being no different than someone who tells someone that they are playing the game wrong.

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Izik

    Originally posted by ShakyMo

    Izik:

    This game isn't designed for you. I like gw2, but I can't bloody stand EQ, and I'm not that keen on wow.


     

    Well considering both of those games created this genre, I think it's fair to compare them to GW2.

    How can something that wasn't released until 2004 be credited with creating the genre?  It (WoW) didn't create anything, it popularized the genre.  This kind of quote is as bad as saying "WoW was the first MMO".

    Indeed, the first successful graphical MMORPG (beside early niche stuff like The Realm or Meridian and a few others) is Ultima Online. And Ultima Online is definitely closer to Guild Wars 2 than to any EQ/WoW clone.

     

    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    I totally agree with that score - which is well deserved just for having the "balls" to get away from the WoW clone model in an AAA theme park MMORPG. And it's a success.

    Those who don't like it are for most either bitter sandbox fan who are just hating on every new MMORPG anyway (so their opinion isn't worth much), or prisoners of the EQ/WoW clone model where everything should be a grind for a shiny purple reward instead of just playing for fun.

    There are very few MMORPGs I'd rate above 9.0 in the 17+ years I'm playing the graphic version of that genre - and GW2 is one of them.

    I would say that most of the people hating on it are bored. The idea of the game seemed better than the actual implementation. There are tons of posts of people who didn't realize what combat would be like minus the trinity or a game without gear / vertical progression. There are a lot of people who don't want to redo content being down leveled. They are not all "bitter" sandbox fans or "prisoners" of the WoW/EQ model. Even if they are, why must you demean them for something they like. To them, grinding for that purple may be fun.

    They are bored precisely because they need that gear carrot from EQ/WoW clones. Without it, they can't play a game... they can't play a game just for fun, like many did in games like UO and AC1.

    And yes, I "demean" them... I demean people who need a game to be a second job at max level to play it. And I do that because they are the main cause why all AAA MMORPGs in the last 8 years are WoW clones. I'm glad to have a game where the gameplay doesn't drastically change and force you into a group based raid grind at max level. Seriously, all those grind greedy people can play WoW or any of its numerous clones, and just stay the hell away from the only AAA theme park game in 8 years which had the balls to move away from that rigid model.

    PS: this comes from a guy who played WoW for 8 years (including beta) and will certainly try Pandaria at some point. But for hell's sake, it's time to break that mold... for those who want more WoW, there is WOW. I'm glad to have a game that is NOT WoW. Not to mention all those who have tried to imitate the master sucked at it.

    The endless chain of mediocre to bad WoW clones is broken. Any true MMORPG fan should rejoice, even if he doesn't like GW2, because despite him not liking it, the game is a success showing that things can be done differently. Or do you guys want to spend the next 10 years getting more poor WoW clone after poor WoW clone?

    To some people that is fun..... Who are you to dictate what is fun to a person. I see you being no different than someone who tells someone that they are playing the game wrong.

    You only answer to like 10% of my post, at best.

    Let me ask you a question... There are 10 Mc Donald's like restaurants in a street. And suddenly, some guy opens a Taco Bell. I intentionally use two fast food examples so you can't use that as argument. Would anyone complain that for once, someone tries something different. For hell's sake, you aren't even forced to eat at the Taco Bell, there are 10 Mc Donald like games just a few meters away.

    That my point. For 8 years, I've seen people here complain that every new MMORPG looks like WoW. Now that one doesn't look like WoW, the same people complain that it doesn't look like WoW. If that isn't nonsense... of course it is.

    I don't dictate what is fun to a person. But I'm also amused at people complaining that the food at Taco Bell isn't the same than at Mc Donalds. [mod edit]

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • ElSandmanElSandman BrisbanePosts: 94Member
    All I can say is that being over this "bar" must be a bad thing, and I am very glad for all the MMORPGs that have manged to sail under it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Hmm don't think uo is really closer to gw2 than wow is.

    To me gw2 is a mix of daoc, gw1 & coh. That's where I see most of its philosophy and ideas coming from. (not just WvW from daoc either)
  • zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

    Terrible, just total fluff ignoring its many horrendous aspects or problems again..

     

  • IzikIzik Granite Bay, CAPosts: 111Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Izik

    Originally posted by ShakyMo

    Izik:

    This game isn't designed for you. I like gw2, but I can't bloody stand EQ, and I'm not that keen on wow.


     

    Well considering both of those games created this genre, I think it's fair to compare them to GW2.

    How can something that wasn't released until 2004 be credited with creating the genre?  It (WoW) didn't create anything, it popularized the genre.  This kind of quote is as bad as saying "WoW was the first MMO".

    Indeed, the first successful graphical MMORPG (beside early niche stuff like The Realm or Meridian and a few others) is Ultima Online. And Ultima Online is definitely closer to Guild Wars 2 than to any EQ/WoW clone.

    yeah because GW2 is also an isometric sandbox experience (http://www.lnx.gen.tr/data/media/37/UOKR_SS09.jpg

    ./facepalm

     

    My point was EQ and WoW pioneered the genre, and almost every game mechanic in current mmos stems directly from those two titles (you could also argue DAOC pioneered pvp).

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

    with 56 critic reviews with an average score of 91 i'd say Bill is pretty much on par with every other critic.

    Almost 1400 gamespot user average 9.1

     

    Ive watched gamespot user reviews for years now and the average from there has always been a lot closer to what I feel about a game.. well closer than metacritic user reviews at least

    We'll discredit the critics when they write positive reviews for SWTOR, but they are right on when they do it for GW2. /rollseyes......

     

    Where did I credit them? i just said Bill was on par with them.. again I don't put much stock in critic reviews for any game.. gamespot user reviews though i have found on par with my own views of most games

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by Izik

    yeah because GW2 is also an isometric sandbox experience (http://www.lnx.gen.tr/data/media/37/UOKR_SS09.jpg

    ./facepalm

    Oh yes, because the main aspect of a graphical MMORPG is the way its graphics are displayed...

     

     

    Originally posted by Izik

    My point was EQ and WoW pioneered the genre, and almost every game mechanic in current mmos stems directly from those two titles (you could also argue DAOC pioneered pvp).

    You can't be serious. EQ had some part in the pioneering, even though MUDs based on the very same model (which is directly inspired from the age old Dungeons and Dragons) existed decades before EQ. But WoW? I love that game, but they added nothing to the genre. They mixed up what worked and perfected it. Note that it's not a bad thing, and WoW is one of the best MMOs ever released, but pioneering? Nope, no way. They didn't pioneer anything in the genre. If anything, EQ ruined the genre for over a decade by stalling it into the EQ and then WoW clone model we all know. Games like UO and AC1 were way more innovating than EQ or WoW, and so is GW2.

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • IzikIzik Granite Bay, CAPosts: 111Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Izik

    yeah because GW2 is also an isometric sandbox experience (http://www.lnx.gen.tr/data/media/37/UOKR_SS09.jpg

    ./facepalm

    Oh yes, because the main aspect of a graphical MMORPG is the way its graphics are displayed...

     

    lol you're the one comparing GW2 to UO. I pointed out the gameplay and graphical systems are nothing alike.

    Since graphic display don't matter to you, I guess I'll start comparing GW2 to Diablo 3.

  • IzikIzik Granite Bay, CAPosts: 111Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Izik

    My point was EQ and WoW pioneered the genre, and almost every game mechanic in current mmos stems directly from those two titles (you could also argue DAOC pioneered pvp).

    You can't be serious. EQ had some part in the pioneering, even though MUDs based on the very same model (which is directly inspired from the age old Dungeons and Dragons) existed decades before EQ. But WoW? I love that game, but they added nothing to the genre. They mixed up what worked and perfected it. Note that it's not a bad thing, and WoW is one of the best MMOs ever released, but pioneering? Nope, no way. They didn't pioneer anything in the genre. If anything, EQ ruined the genre for over a decade by stalling it into the EQ and then WoW clone model we all know. Games like UO and AC1 were way more innovating than EQ or WoW, and so is GW2.

    That's like saying Apple didn't pioneer the digital music market because MP3 players existed before the IPod. 

     

    You lost all credibility saying GW2 is more innovative than EQ and WoW. Talk about fanboyism.

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,271Member Uncommon
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Osaka, ARPosts: 363Member



    Originally posted by player666

    I'm sorry I bought the game, it's like sugarcoated same shit mmo we've been playing since WOW. This review is all about the sugarcoat.





    Guild Wars 2 lives up to its hype." and "INNOVATION – 10" made me LOL.





    Overall the review is so fake , it feels like reading about another game...










     

    ^

    absolutely this.

    Yet I wait for someone to explain how REMOVING things is innovation. GW2 = WoW with further dumbed down systems and nicer graphics. That´s it. WoWclone in new disguise, innovation value to the industry = ZERO

    Fetchquests 2.0 with interactive quest log updates, death of grouping and trinity. Congratulations Innovation 10, and good to know all devs will jump on GW2ified WoWclones for the next decade instead of something new.

    I´m going to play EvE and Secret World until World of Darkness comes out, thank god there are companies like CCP and Funcom, both pioneers of REAL innovation and breaking the WoWmold, not this overhyped Arenanet interpretation of "innovation".



     

  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member

    It's hard to take this website seriously when they give SWTOR 9.5s and Vanguard a 6, and now claim that GW2 raised the bar...

     

    People, the bar has been up there. AC, EQ, DAoC, UO, SWG, those games raised the bar. We've been wallowing well under the bar for about 8 years now thanks to WoW and its platoon of clones. GW2 is the first AAA MMORPG in years to even come close to the old MMOs (by, go figure, reusing ideas from Dark Age of Camelot) but lets not pretend its the best there ever was. It's just the first game to actually TRY in 8 years, but that doesn't invalidate the greatness of those golden age MMORPGs.

  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

    [mod edit]

     

    People, the bar has been up there. AC, EQ, DAoC, UO, SWG, those games raised the bar. We've been wallowing well under the bar for about 8 years now thanks to WoW and its platoon of clones. GW2 is the first AAA MMORPG in years to even come close to the old MMOs (by, go figure, reusing ideas from Dark Age of Camelot) but lets not pretend its the best there ever was. It's just the first game to actually TRY in 8 years, but that doesn't invalidate the greatness of those golden age MMORPGs.

    I have a question, why do people want the old MMOs? Come on people, there is a reason the genre has changed. The market wants it. These people who comment about how this game comes close or offends them becuase the old MMOs were better gotta be kidding me. You all remind me of a English teacher who refused any new English. We had to pronounce words like metaphor into metapher and crap like that. We hated it. He also had an odd superiority complex that I do not understand to this day. Back to the main issue, my point is things change and grow as time goes on. Hopefully, for the better. There is a reason old MMOs do not exist. Becuase they weren't as good as you remembered them. In fact, they sucked. 

  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto



    Originally posted by player666


    I'm sorry I bought the game, it's like sugarcoated same shit mmo we've been playing since WOW. This review is all about the sugarcoat.






    Guild Wars 2 lives up to its hype." and "INNOVATION – 10" made me LOL.






    Overall the review is so fake , it feels like reading about another game...










     

    ^


    absolutely this.


    Yet I wait for someone to explain how REMOVING things is innovation. GW2 = WoW with further dumbed down systems and nicer graphics. That´s it. WoWclone in new disguise, innovation value to the industry = ZERO


    Fetchquests 2.0 with interactive quest log updates, death of grouping and trinity. Congratulations Innovation 10, and good to know all devs will jump on GW2ified WoWclones for the next decade instead of something new.


    I´m going to play EvE and Secret World until World of Darkness comes out, thank god there are companies like CCP and Funcom, both pioneers of REAL innovation and breaking the WoWmold, not this overhyped Arenanet interpretation of "innovation".




     

    It always makes me laugh seeing trolls like or +1 each other. I guess it makes them feel as if they are many. Posting 15 times in one forum doesn't make the majority much less give you the the right to say "I told you so", but I am sure you know that. Is it amusing to you? Do you think you are aiding the world by spreading your godly word to the battleground states.... I mean players? I   am interested in this. The game is good, if not great. Return to your tsw forums, and let the population, that you obviously think cant make there own opinion, decide which game is better. 

  • LarsaLarsa NurembergPosts: 990Member

    Looks like gratulations are in order. No game in the long history of MMORPG.com has ever reached a 9.3 score. GW2 is the first and only one. For now GW2 is the best MMORPG of all times.

     

    Personally, I didn't play the game and likely never will. I just don't get it.

    I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Originally posted by zymmanyx
    I was warrning  4 excesive negative coment @ GW2  ! very nice ! NCsoft @ ArenaNet  dont accept critics !!!!???? very nice ! anyway 4 me GW2 is a crap game !

    look everyone! I'm going to pull a yakamoto: +1

Sign In or Register to comment.