Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a girl...no really, I'm a girl. Well, maybe not.

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Playing always guys. I rather try to create a fantasized "what if" alternative me. Sorta. Also, in most MMOs femals chars looks ridiculous. Sorry, but that's how I feel about it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Approximately 35 of the 80-odd characters I play across a dozen different games are female; most of the rest are male. A few are indeterminate.

I'm male.

In other news, what a fresh and interesting topic this is, I can't believe nobody has ever thought to discuss it before...
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Banquetto
    Approximately 35 of the 80-odd characters I play across a dozen different games are female; most of the rest are male. A few are indeterminate.

I'm male.

In other news, what a fresh and interesting topic this is, I can't believe nobody has ever thought to discuss it before...

Hm data hm data hm data hm data I got you babe... I got you babe

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Miner-2049er
    Originally posted by Valkaern

This subject has come up countless times on these forums over the last decade and has only proven that that, as always, there's a lot of different people on the internet.

This is true. However, I reckon that the number of cross-gender players has steadily increased over the years.

In some of the first games I played (SWG, FFXI) players truly seemed a little shocked if the girl was a guy in real life. Nowadays, in a game like Tera there are probably more female avatars than male. Just my opinion but I feel the gross-gender playing has become more expected and therefore accepted.

There's some truth in that: men are more tolerant of gender bending now and women have learned that if they play male characters they won't get digitally stalked nearly as much.

My recent favorite was a huge Norn male warrior I saw in Lion's Arch last night dressed in what appeared to be a pink and purple tutu...nice look image

It's fantasy so have fun with it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Only a male character.  I don't have any problems with guys that play female characters, as it's really meaningless anyway, but I like to be able to identify with my character, and can't do that as a female.  

Btw, although I don't have any issues with guys that play girl characters, I have to say that the excuse of "Well, if I'm going to look at a character all day, it might as well be a hot female" is about the most dumbass reason anyone can come up with.  Whenever I hear an idiot say that, I just roll my eyes.  If you honestly find a pixelated female preferable to look at, you need to get out of the house more.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I always play male characters.

Well, once I rolled a male elf and for all intents and purposes, it might as well have been a female character. image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I make female chars just to piss off the wife.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

This female player mostly rolls female toons. But every once in a while, I roll a male.
    /shrug

• MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82
    i kinda LOL on this thread... :)
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I'm a girl, always play a girl. And I like pink.....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

I play more female than male characters, but it really isn't dramatically skewed by gender.

Then again, I write professionally; I'm a professional storyteller; I do community theater, and when I was a kid, my contralto voice got me a lot of "boy" parts (I could sing tenor if it didn't go all the way down to C or people weren't fussy about tone) in youth musical theater and choir/glee/whatever.

I'm not un-feminine, but I am a good actress, and I enjoy the stretch of "playing" a male as much as I enjoy imagining playing an elf or an alien.  Frankly, it is sometimes more easy for me to imagine an elvish female of a certain age (I'm 53 -- I have a son who's 19 and sometimes seems more alien than...aliens...)  than a human teenage male -- but lets not go there... oh wait, I did...:)

I am proud that my males "pass."  And I sometimes have fun passing as different cultures.  I play SWTOR on the EU RP server, and people are invariably shocked I'm American, usually qualifying that as a compliment) -- and if they are playing with my dark-side main, a decidedly male Sith lord tank, they are often boggled that it's a 53 year old woman behind the keyboard if I bother to reveal that.

My most common reason for revealing my age and gender is, actually, to express my requirement for people to be respectful regarding women, gays, minorities, etc. in chat when I am playing with them.  I will not play with jerks who can't be civil about other people, and I'm not talking about strict PC crap (although I will do some consciousness raising) but I'm talking about the really foul stuff -- what I think of as XBox Live culture, if you're familiar.  It just spoils my time online.  I don't need to hear parts of my anatomy being used as terms of disparagement for other people's bad habits.  It grosses me out and makes me feel like trash.  

You can spin it out from there.  I have totally lost groups from them freaking because the tanky evil sith turns out to be their gramma.  *sigh*

Proto grrl gamer geeks just wanna have fun?  But not with the overly sincere dickwolf contingent, sorry...

yrs

Shava

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    The only time i've genuinely played a female character was for DAoC's Valkyrie class. Beyond that and a few other gender locked games, I always play a male.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

If I make a male character then I identify with it. If I create a female character it then becomes a "character". As if I was leading it through a book/adventure.

I usually try all the male options first then if I'm dissapointed the female options usually don't dissapoint.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I swing both ways.....  :D

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• LoviotorLoviotor Member UncommonPosts: 16

I'm a munchkin.

I play whatever gives the best stats.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I am male and it depends on the class. Standard armor either works, but if it's robes or a dress like outfit such as a mage or warlock in WoW, I roll female. The males just look funny in a dress.
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by bcbully

funny for years I played all males, until I made my first chick toon. At that point I understood. It's much more ummm pleasing watching the backside of a chick toon for X levels. Especially in GW2 ;) 

Do you also wear silk womens panties in RL because they are more comfy?

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I play both. Male for more manly proffessions like warrior and a girl when playing mage etc.

I asked a friend once, why he is always playing with female characters. He told me: "If i have to play MMO's for 4-6 hours daily, i rather watch girls ass than dudes. I think he was quite right :).

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Mawnee
    Originally posted by bcbully

funny for years I played all males, until I made my first chick toon. At that point I understood. It's much more ummm pleasing watching the backside of a chick toon for X levels. Especially in GW2 ;) 

Do you also wear silk womens panties in RL because they are more comfy?

I don't know which is the saddest part of this post. The homophobic approach in life "touch a barbie doll and you turn gay" attitude or the fear that a potential cyboring target may not be of the perceived sexual orientation.

Get over it, mmorpgs are not women picking clubs, but an escape from reality. If your best bud picked an opposite sex actor as his favorite, would you slap him the sexual orientation card or would you (as a normal person would) attribute it to different taste than yours?

Bottom line, he may have a fetish for dressing or undressing his female avatar. What's your excuse for picking a male one?

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I always play male characters.

But I don't judge, I pretty much assume that 80-90% of all girl toons are played by guys. Whatever floats your boat.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I'm a male and in mmo's I have never rolled a female.   Ever.   I prefer not to be asked if I'm a man or woman every 15 minutes.  Also you gamers are more than free to do as you like but cross gender avatars annoy the heck out of me.  Sorry.   They just do.  A lot.   I won't give you any grief about it though.  I never have given any male player playing another gender any kind of hard time.  If I find out they're a guy in real life I'm not usually even the one that brought it up. 

In other words yea, I'm highly freaking annoyed but I keep it entirely to myself.  That's good enough right? 

Anyways sometimes in single player RPGs I might play as a woman after beating the game two or three times playing male just to get a different experience.  I admit I've enjoyed it every time I've done it.  But even that is a little rare. 

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

I'm a male and my main toons are male only. However, my "clone toons" (one who does grind for me) are all females and have names with little meaning (once got some "lover" asking if I was really female and that "lover" needed girl-friend in that MMORPG...).

Why did I create them? I need to have lots of toons to grind Turbine points in Lotro (it's pretty legal there) and I don't care how that character would look like or how his/her name would sound. it could be "Abc" or "Noname1".

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I am a girl and i usually play girls. mainly cause i can never make a guy look good. =(

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Prolly a mental block for me but can't play as a girl. MMOs to me are living out fantasies through your char. Prolly why I can't play as a chick cause I can't really project myself on to a chick. Only female char I play as in game is Drow Ranger in Dota 2.
  • battlerodentbattlerodent Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

whats the difference?

I don't give a crap what people are in reality or out of it.

If you don't know the difference between males and females....well, good luck in life, champ. :-D

ZING! so hard.

I consistently roll both depending on what I feel like suits my idea of the virtual person I'm about to create better. IMO some classes like f.e. guardians or engineers work better with male characters while f.e. mesmers and necromancers develop more depth with females.

If I meet a female character ingame I treat them as a real-life male by default.

Funny.. When i meet a character in game, i tend to treat them like a gamer, end of story.