Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quite frankly, this looks bad....

SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54

Link

As an old hardcore NeverWinter:Nights players, and D&D table-top player this game simply looks bad. Repeat the same attack-50 billion times + shieldbash + some random "daily" skills.

It just looks like a D&D version of Vindictus. Remember, almost everything is instanced as well, and from every interview i've read it seems like just another linear-themepark with tons of instancing.

Am I the only one disappointed about this :/? Seems as if Cryptic struck again, and I even saw several Champions Online & STO animations being reused for monsters & I swore that I'd seen some of those sword animations from Champions Online as well.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I really can't wait for this title but honestly, Cryptic.... need I say more.... most likely will not have any longevity.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    I really can't wait for this title but honestly, Cryptic.... need I say more.... most likely will not have any longevity.

Keep in mind this is also going to be a "Free to Play" title based off of "Player Created Content". The problem is that the "Player Content" created for servers in NeverWinter:Nights is 100% completely different. What Cryptic is doing is simply "Quests" and "Missions" made custom by players, but in NWN it was about ENTIRE WORLDS & servers worth of custom content...rules...sometimes even classes & loot.

They've done a horrible thing here in my opinion :(! Plus, i've seen the content engine they've developed as it has been tested on the STO players for quite some time. It isn't that great at all :/

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

It's longevity will probably stem from the ease of adding user generated content(UGC), alas 4th edition rules are what they plan on using, but that's not their fault Wizards of the Coast designed it more akin to today's MMOs

It'll be fine if it plays well, has good story for the base game, and UGC that is not highly exploitable.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

It's longevity will probably stem from the ease of adding user generated content(UGC), alas 4th edition rules are what they plan on using, but that's not their fault Wizards of the Coast designed it more akin to today's MMOs

It'll be fine if it plays well, has good story for the base game, and UGC that is not highly exploitable.

That's what they said about SWTOR (save for the UGC part). You don't see the issue with having such a limited number of skills, type of attacks, etc?

Watch that video again, you'll be doing the same attacks 9,000 times in a single story with limited special skills. Not to mention they're reusing animations from STO & Champions online.

I don't see longevitiy here whatsoever other than it being a F2P title and those linger on like zombies.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

That's what they said about SWTOR (save for the UGC part). You don't see the issue with having such a limited number of skills, type of attacks, etc?

Watch that video again, you'll be doing the same attacks 9,000 times in a single story with limited special skills. Not to mention they're reusing animations from STO & Champions online.

I don't see longevitiy here whatsoever other than it being a F2P title and those linger on like zombies.

Not really, most times often enough people only boil down to using the same skills over and over anyway. Running over the same content over and over creates boredom moreso than skill rotations.

Also from what I gathered, is that you equip skills kinda like Guild Wars, so you have more available skills, just can access only a few active ones when you go adventuring...(I could be wrong, but eh..)

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    I can't wait to try it tbh. I find it interesting with the few skills it has rather than if it had tons of them. I suspect they will rely heavily on the foundry which imo looks fantastic (there are a couple of videos on youtube explaining it).
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

So don't buy it, and don't play it.  Seriously, designers are going to keep putting out the same generic trash because it's "easy" to produce and enough people try it hoping for something different to return a profit.  Until players stop playing by those rules, the most we can hope fore are "innovative" MMO's like GW2, which really aren't.

You make me like charity

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Link

As an old hardcore NeverWinter:Nights players, and D&D table-top player this game simply looks bad. Repeat the same attack-50 billion times + shieldbash + some random "daily" skills.

It just looks like a D&D version of Vindictus. Remember, almost everything is instanced as well, and from every interview i've read it seems like just another linear-themepark with tons of instancing.

Am I the only one disappointed about this :/? Seems as if Cryptic struck again, and I even saw several Champions Online & STO animations being reused for monsters & I swore that I'd seen some of those sword animations from Champions Online as well.

Thoughts?

1.  You have only seen the video for one class that demonstrated 4 skills.  Something tells me combat is far more in depth than you think it is.

2.  Everything WAS instanced until Perfect World came in and told them to make it more open world.  If instancing is such a problem for you, then why are you cursing PWE instead of thanking them?

3.  You are not the only one disappointed, but like everyone else who is disappointed, it is because you are judging a game that isn't even in beta.  Also, the animations being reused is probably because the game isn't in beta as well.

My final thoughts: you are hating the game for all the wrong reasons; reasons that will either be fixed by the time it is released or only exist in your mind at that.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Keep in mind this is also going to be a "Free to Play" title based off of "Player Created Content". The problem is that the "Player Content" created for servers in NeverWinter:Nights is 100% completely different. What Cryptic is doing is simply "Quests" and "Missions" made custom by players, but in NWN it was about ENTIRE WORLDS & servers worth of custom content...rules...sometimes even classes & loot.

They've done a horrible thing here in my opinion :(! Plus, i've seen the content engine they've developed as it has been tested on the STO players for quite some time. It isn't that great at all :/

Keep in mind that in reality, you know next to nothing about the game yet still think you can judge it.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I loved the original Neverwinter Nights.

But seeing the Cryptic badge associated with this title just put it straight down the bottom of my shopping list.............

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well the video does say  'The fighter can get dozens of different skills, these are just a few...'

Aside fro that, they do have skilltree-ish progression. I wouldn't call it an actual skill tree as I believe you can get all the skills independently of one another as you progress, but didn't get to really fiddle with it much more than a once ofer review while playing a demo.

The part that did bug me a bit are the stricter mechanics differences between the classes. Like the rogue uses dodge, the mage can phase, and the fighter has a block ability, but all these are tied to the same command. Fighters don't get a dodge skill. Rogues never block. I know they don't traditionally tend to, but this makes it so off-builds aren't really viable things.

Like I really liked my dex based greatsword weilding eladrin I made in 4E (ruleset Neverwinter is being derived from). Used a feat that applied dex as my martial skill instead of str so I became a highly mobile teleporting melee combatant (could move on average 15 squares a turn, and then could use an encounter power to move another 6, at level 3). I like the way the game played, but I just don't think they have the same variety that D&D has in the classes. And that's even in regards to 4E, which was terrible with it's variety. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the game is free, you don't have to worry about buying it lol

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    The game is free anyway. I have decided to give this game a try when available, maybe create a quest or two.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Nobody can judge the game before it's out.

To be fair, I'm extremelly excited about the Foundry and it's possibilities. It's free-to-play, and it's based on cooperative gameplay, rather than competitive. Can't wait to get my group of friends and run player-created content with them, or create content myself for my friends to play. Or for anyone to play.

It just needs to get enough options for customization of NPCs/dungeons/loot and enough people interested to be an endless source of fun.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Well. I generally agree.

But just for the defence of the game. It does look pretty good. And it will have semy decent player generated content.

It could be mildly interesting.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The game is Free to play like you mentioned so why do you care? At this point, they are obviously not going to scrap all their work because of what some of the public says. If they tank sucks to be them ArcheAge will take their customers for having the "open world" sandbox. This type of review doesn't do anything for the community or for the people that actually want to try the game. You lose nothing for trying the game for an hour or two to see if you enjoy it. 
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Lol yeah, can't wait to see the cash shop on that one.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I don't have high hopes for this one, but I'll still give it a go.

Suprisingly, most games a thought looked awesome ended up being lackluster and vice-versa.

• CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I honestly don't think this game will be a breakthough in the industry, other than the foundry it doesn't have something special. Still though it will be a nice fun game to play with your friends and family, since it will be free you don't have to worry about wasting money.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    well it's still early however, I would be leary as I've seen what they haven't done with STO for about a year now. Sure stations are nice and all and the foundry has improved but the foundry wasn't supposed to be the end all replacement for pve content forever.

It is still early, and from what i've seen that doesn't look like it's all 1 button attacking in your video.

Wait and see more before we make final judgement.

Trust me I'm no fan of cryptic but we do need more footage and more data before casting final say.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I have a gut feeling its going to be a lobby game. I haven't delved deeply into player generated info, so don't quote me on this, but it sounds like it'll be missions players can create, and not areas players can congregate. One of my fondest memories of the original title was hanging out in a player made pub and role playing. Let's see how it goes. I'm skeptical but interested because of the IP. I'll forgive A LOT for abeir toril D&D
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Cryptic.

/thread

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Foundry system would like to have a word with you.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

1) How did you expect a fighter would attack? Seriously...

2) It is based on the 4.0 ruleset, which is more action oriented.

3) These initial videos are obviously just showing the staple skills, there will be a whole hotbar full of skills to get. 

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Started playing Neverwinter nights again (and am enjoying it a lot more than GW2 even dated as it is) recently and remembered how good games like that and Baldurs were. However, it would be folly to think Neverwinter could ever have been like they were. 

The central problem is that ten years ago games were still very nichy and even percieved as nerdy as unsociable so they could get away with being complex and faithful to the D&D system of the day and reach an expected investment:profit margin. Unfortunately with the likes of WOW et al., games have earned a level of respectability that they never had in latter days, sadly matched with inflated development costs. What results is an industry where it has become next to impossible to make anything passably close to the old 'quality' standards that isn't aimed at mass appeal (and therefore predictably dumbed down by a paper and dice players - or old Bioware - standards). Investors will not tolerate the risk and, obviously, no investors=no money=no game. However, I am an endless optimist and I always hope that some clever set of people out there who understand the dimishing returns of generic fare and how big a market there is for an modernised version of Baldurs/Neverwinter nights without seeing the market researched gamer as a simpleton with no patience who likes cartoon avatars with big shiny swords. Perhaps the success of the exhanced version of Baldurs due out soon will demonstrate this to the powers that be?   

Neverwinter may turn out to be dumbed down simple fluff relative to Baldurs/Neverwinter nights but the one thing that is consistent is the ability to make user made content and that could save it by from geneic-itis. This could give it an edge. Time will tell but anyone can be Cassandra and say everything is rubbish before it's been played, doesn't really help all that much does it?