Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2's Class System vs Rift's Class System

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

GW2's Class System vs Rift's Class System

which do you enjoy more between the two?

which you feel is more balanced?

In GW2, you have 8 classes, and each have trait lines unique to their class, but many of the passives are the same across classes.

also you have the weapon skills, along with the heal/Utility/elite skills to choose from and special class mechanics.

now in Rift, you have 4 classes, each with 9 spec trees that perform unique to each other.

you allowed to pick 3 trees at any time and hybrid it anyway you like.

Certain trees have their own special tree mechanics.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I havne't played RIFT since the first month of release, didn't like it due to me being an altaholic and it only having 1 path of advancement for each faction.

But from what I can remember, there were similar abiities in the different souls, at least in the first half of the game, so you really just chose whichever one you liked best. But overall, I like the mixing and matching of souls and find it to be a superior class system to GW2's as far as fun goes. Not sure about balance though.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Imo gw2 has better classes for pvp and rift has better classes for pve.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

RIFTs system is exceptionally unbalanced.

GW2s system is extremely well balanced.

Those are my opinions on this particular subject.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eves "class" system is the best
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

RIFTs system is exceptionally unbalanced.

GW2s system is extremely well balanced.

Those are my opinions on this particular subject.

Part of that probably has to do with the fact that GW2 offers jack squat for customization, compared to Rift's system.  And to be clear, I'm playing GW2, not Rift, so this isn't fanboy talk.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Kind of a dumb poll to be honest. Rift's class system wins hands down, but thats just due to the design choice. They wanted to allow for that open flexability in play while GW2 focused on a more enclosed style to try and provide more balance (granted its not really achieved but lets face it, perfect balance is impossible to achieve). Rift just will beat GW2 without question unless GW2 really opens up the classes and makes them far more flexible and customizable with far more effect on your character while still also providing the ability to create many unique builds.

Solely on class, its just not really a fair fight and as much as I love rift, I can't exactly go about putting pure blame on GW2 for having an inferior class system. Its their design choice primarily as an act of balance. Sure it won't reach the level of Rift, but it does have some interesting components to it, the biggest one being the mesmer. 

The only thing that GW2 has on Rift is balance, and honestly Rift isn't all that terrible in this field at all despite the diversity and flexability of builds. Its actually very close in that regard to GW2 despite GW2 giving far less options for customizing.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    RIFT's class system (in theory) was a great class system.  It's a shame that, at least in the six months or so that I played it, they seemed to be unable to balance the different trees, often forcing you into certain builds that you might not have wanted to play, or force you to change your build every time there was a patch if you wanted to raid.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

GW2. Mainly because they can balance classes around weapons and Traits, which makes it alot easier to balance.

Some classes in GW2 can be better than others on different things and in different ways. A warrior support differently from an Elementalist or Mesmer. In Rift you mostly use healing support, though in next expansion they are making the Warior class better, as the Warlord had to bad support abillities.

In GW2 they can add new skills to the game and they don't have to release a new whole class. If they feel like Thief, that have very few weapons need a need weapon type, they can easily add a new weapon for them and have a much easier time to balance utillity skills and traits with those 5 new weapon skills. In rift you have 30+ new skills that you need balance with 4 other souls.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Rift's archetype soul abilities are so redundant you could remove 90% of them and they wouldnt be missed. Now if Rift allowed you to choose 3 souls from ANY archetype to combine then It would be awesome as it is I prefer GW2's system

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    RIFT's class system (in theory) was a great class system.  It's a shame that, at least in the six months or so that I played it, they seemed to be unable to balance the different trees, often forcing you into certain builds that you might not have wanted to play, or force you to change your build every time there was a patch if you wanted to raid.

Thats... actually not to big of a deal. There are prefered builds for min/maxing but that exists in any game, GW2 would have it if they had raids. The biggest class of trouble tended to be warrior, which with changes actually has quite a lot of dps varients now for example (since I'm most experienced with it)...

DPS PvE:

51 Champ /   Para /  RB - Amazing AoE and one of the highest ST.  2H

51 Champ /  BM - lower AoE then about though slightly higher ST. 2H

38 Para /  Champ  /  RB - Best ST, almost identicle to 44 para. DW

44 Para /  Champ /  RB -  Near identicle with 38. DW

51 RB / Para - AoE DW version. Good Dps. DW

26 BM / Champ - Support ST. Decent damage though mostly there for support. 2H

26 BM / Para - A little more odd match but still viable for support role. DW

Thats just PvE variations that exist, granted some do work well in PvP as well. No one can really tell exactly what it will turn out to be in storm legion but for now Warrior (which had the weakest choice for viablility) currently has a lot of options.