Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one that misses leveling over years?

12346»

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by evolver1972

You're right.  We should have to grind and grind over a super long period of time in order to....what?  Reach max level so we can grind and grind over a super long period of time to get some better armor and weapons?

Yah, thats what I miss.  This the thing that bugs me though.  You assume , atleast by your response it leads me to conclude, that  all we did was gind grind grind.  I remember throwing parties in games, hell even before they became a fixture in modern MMOs we had christmas and new years parties. ( Put togeather by the players themselves no  less..forgot that part. ) Oh guess what else we did.  We talked to each other.  We knew each other in real  life or pretty close to it.  I cant remember how long it has been since...shit...since Ive even cared enough to join a guild. 

If the PvPers can get thier niche  games..why cant some small indy make a Old school throwback game.

No thanks.

As for GW2 leveling in a week...yeah ok.  Maybe  some people do it for some reason, but I've been playing regularly (say, maybe 8 hours per week, maybe slightly more) and my toon is 53.  So, I guess if people want to make the game their second job and play it 8hrs per day, yeah, they can level in a week.  But I would ask, why?  What's the point?  The game isn't about running to endgame.  It isn't about leveling, so why try to do it so quickly?  I say enjoy the game while your playing the game.  Stop trying to treat it like every WoW clone out there.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I guess you could call me old school, or a grumpy old man, but I truly miss the old days when it took at least 6 months to level to max level. 

GS3 originally had an average time-to-cap of a decade.

It's not a better or a worse approach; you remained entertained either way (provided you still have goals to chase).  The old grindfests just used simple leveling PVE as an extended carrot for as long as they could get away with it.  Then (usually) switched to raiding or PvP to keep bored-and-capped players hanging on for just a bit longer.

Given better (modern) 'endgames', the leveling content doesn't have to carry as much of the burden alone.

It's arguable whether simple hunting/normal PVE leveling will keep more or fewer players interested, in the long run.

Reading the forums over the last few years, I'd argue that there aren't many players with the patience to remain interested for a decade, anyway.  Sure, we've gathered a bunch of the outliers on this forum.  But compared to the overall MMO playing population, not many make it to the end of a decade without burning out and leaving the hobby entirely.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    That is another thing.  There is really no need for guilds.  It is so simple to create one everybody has a guild... might just be them in it though,

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I do miss the older style MMOS.  I don't find anything really wrong with todays mmos so much, but personally I just can't seem to relate to my character when I played Rift and GW2 with the speed of leveling.  I look back at playing these 2 games and not one moment stands out to me as being special.  Rifts mentality was for the game to start at 60 and that's a shame.  It was also too linear as well.

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by coretex666

On one hand, I miss the old days you described. On the other hand, I have a very demanding job, so that it would be almost impossible for me to progress in this type of game. Back in times when I enjoyed these games, I was able to play 20 hours per day :).

Despite all that, I would still want the levelling to take that long.

I agree. I miss DAoC, but probably couldn't play like that any more. It's time has passed for me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by evolver1972

You're right.  We should have to grind and grind over a super long period of time in order to....what?  Reach max level so we can grind and grind over a super long period of time to get some better armor and weapons?

No thanks.

As for GW2 leveling in a week...yeah ok.  Maybe  some people do it for some reason, but I've been playing regularly (say, maybe 8 hours per week, maybe slightly more) and my toon is 53.  So, I guess if people want to make the game their second job and play it 8hrs per day, yeah, they can level in a week.  But I would ask, why?  What's the point?  The game isn't about running to endgame.  It isn't about leveling, so why try to do it so quickly?  I say enjoy the game while your playing the game.  Stop trying to treat it like every WoW clone out there.

In GW2, levels are devaluated and adjusted (forcefully) to match the content. So in reality, you aren't really "80" until you're done with the game. And even then, when you aren't entering other zones. They've only given you the illusion that you are really 80. So, that said, how does the following list not apply to your statement? Especially given that in much of this, you'll be down leveled while doing it, or your level doesn't really matter such as crafting. It's still the same. You are grinding.

http://guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/80-things-do-level-80

<span at300bs="" at15nc="" at15t_twitter"="">

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Every single mmorg I'm the history of mmorgs have grinds, it's like arguing its annoying you have to constantly kick a ball.. In a football match.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I like many of the same things....
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I guess you could call me old school, or a grumpy old man, but I truly miss the old days when it took at least 6 months to level to max level.  In today's games it takes maybe a week, if you're slow, to get to max level.  I truly believe that in MMOs, unlike other games, the "end" should never be there.  Yes, today's developers add in content for capped characters to do, but it's just not the same as leveling up.  Take Guild Wars 2 for instance, I heard that a player leveled from level 1-80 in 2 days...really?  That couldn't be fun at all, and it misses the whole point of MMOs.  I think alot of developers (and players) have forgotten that in MMOs the "endgame" isn't what MMOs are about.  It's about exploration, discovery, learning new things, and yes killing.  Old MMOs had more to do with learning than today's MMOs.  Today's MMOs you can log in day one, and never have to go find some spreadsheet telling you which weapon is best for your level.  Today's MMOs you never have to go to a wiki, or heaven-forbid, buy an actual book with a map and how-tos, just so you don't get lost.

I know there will probably never be a game like old EQ or old DAoC or old Ultima Online or really old Neverwinter Nights, back when it took a minimum of 6 months to get to the end.  Heck, in the original DAoC it took longer to get the last 2 levels than it does to get to cap in today's games.  Alas, there is no real reason for developers to make games like this anymore.  The majority of players aren't like me.  They want thier rewards upfront and as soon as possible.  They don't want to spend hours on end killing things or doing quests just to get a single level.  They want 20 levels in that time.

Just my two cents from an old dinosaur lol.

Stop playing videogeames 40+ hours a week and it'll take you longer...

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I do not miss extremely long treadmills of levels, at least in the sense of a themepark mmo. Leveling can be a grand adventure, but the problem is that so many developers have two different games within their mmos. First is the leveling game, which can teach you about the game, the world, and how to play their particular game. However, it's largely unrewarding in the sense that you will have persistence in your rewards (aside from the gradual increases of power).

Once you reach end game in many mmos that's where the game truly begins. That's where the more rewarding content in (again, in terms of persistence), and more often than not, only challenging content is at the "end".

In so many ways, Asheron's Call had it right. Levels were more of a guideline and did offer some increases in power, but it was their XP allocation system that was truly where you got your power from. The random loot system was also rewarding, in the sense you had a chance at finding some really great stuff at pretty much any level of the game. You could dungeon crawl, or hunt across the wilds, or even camp in a decent outdoor spot for good xps and loot. Since there wasn't really an "endgame" there never really was a massively huge rush to level quickly through the game.

Too many players are too used to having artificial stop gaps in order to have an "endgame". Theoretically, in WoW you could stop at 60, 70, 80, and 85 and raid to your heart's content. The reality is that the content is now dated, and unrewarding, so practically no one stops to raid through the previous raid tiers.

We would have to have a game that had no levels, was skill based, and character progression more resembled stairs than an upward curve (I mean a mix of verticle and horizontal progression points). Traditional endgame content, such as raiding, would have to be adjusted so that there would be a point in doing it regardless of your overall skill level.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

90% of developer time is spent on pre top level, 10% is spent on post top level. You work out what part of the game is going to be the best to play. MMO's need more mid level content to keep people subscribing for extra months to get to top level or enough faction structure and time spent on end game to keep them interested.

MMO's often make mistakes about what they think players want, take AOC for example. Why develop a whole new starting area, it was mid game and end game that needed sorting out. Mid and end game problems were accute in that MMO, but are true to a somewhat lesser extent for any MMO.