Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long before Blizzard anounce sales for release day of MoP

roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/13/wows-cataclysm-demolishes-lich-king-sales-record/

The above link is dated the 13 th december 2010 . It tells of the impressive ( thats an understatment really ) sales figures for the launch of Cataclysm on 7 the December 2010 . This is 6 days after its release and includes digital sales as well as boxed sales .

Thus far it is 9 days since the release of MoP so logically Blizzard should have the release day sales and as of yet these have not been released to the press .

I'm starting to wonder when and if Blizzard will release them .

edit ( i m sure someone will pull me over of my spelling of announce I did realise I forgot to put the extra N in but posted accidently before I could put it right )

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    if it's lower we might just get the monthly press release, failing that we might need to wait for the quartly report.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    There are massive queues to get in realms at the moment. That does not mean large sales of MoP however, players could just want to login and roll a free panda without the expansion, or just log in to chew the fat.. after going to the offiical forums I get a preliminary hunch that the panda's are not going down too well, and have put people off the game. So far.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

You'll get the information when Blizzard can frame it in a positive light.

So if they didn't sell as many copies by opening day as Cata did, don't expect them to annouce it.

When/if sales catch up to and exceed Cata's sales numbers that's when they'll make an annoucement and it will seem like a great triumph, perhaps masking the fact people were slower to purchase than the last time around.

If they never catch up, they'll hold off as long as possible, and try to keep it under the radar.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by nyxium
    There are massive queues to get in realms at the moment. That does not mean large sales of MoP however, players could just want to login and roll a free panda without the expansion, or just log in to chew the fat.. after going to the offiical forums I get a preliminary hunch that the panda's are not going down too well, and have put people off the game. So far.

The last I  looked at the english speaking EU servers there were 4-5 locked out of 10-15 high/full load severs . It was only in these 4-5 locked ones there were massive ques .I couldn't get into outland because there was que of 500 + . I had no problem getting onto the other high servers . There were also a huge number of low population servers compared to Cata . I remember even deathwing managed to get upto medium when that was released .

I think your post is slighly misleading because the huge ques are very limited ( in the EU at least ) .

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=6147208

2,7 mln copies in first week.   Subs rise to 10 mln. 

Now important will be figures 1  and 3 months from now on.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by fenistil

MOP undersold LK - WOTLK had 2.8m in the first 24 hours

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/11/20/wows-lich-king-sells-record-2-8-million-copies-in-24-hours/

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/11/20/wows-lich-king-sells-record-2-8-million-copies-in-24-hours/

When WOTLK came out WoW was still going full steam ahead though, it's in a much different place now to then. I only played about 2 total months of the 22 or so Cataclysm was even availavble, bought it day 1, played a month, went back for another month to kill deathwing and ditched the game again. I have just today bought MoP I expect others ( many in my guild ) are in a similar scenario, Cataclysm was pretty bad and the large decline in sub numbers reflect that.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

And what is the point there?

The game is very old and there is more competition than ever. I hate WoW, but I don't think anyone should have expected this to be their highest or even second highest selling expansion ever.

If I ran a game company I would be thrilled to sell 2.7 million copies in a week and have 10 million subscribers.

i was giving contextual information

Blizzard is the best selling mmo but MOP seems to be the weakest selling expansion for Blizzard in the last 4 years

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

It looks like they did give the figure today . It was eventually in line with what I expected .I'd forcasted around 2.5 million in the first week .

It also shows why Blizzard didn't offer release day figures because they were most likly comparitivlydisapointing compared to Cataclysm .

A weeks sales do put it in a better light . I suspect release day sales were about 1.5 - 2 million which would have looked pretty bad .

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Who really cares which game sells how many?  I mean, I couldn't care less about numbers sold.  Play the game, if you like it, play it more.  If you don't, go troll somewhere else lol.  If I see another "this game sold this many" or "this game has this many players" threads, I'm going to scream my head off.  Why does it even matter?  

I can tell you that I have characters spread across 3 servers, ALL 3 of them have had a queue since launch at one time or another.  One of them has a queue everyday starting at about 3-4pm CST and ending around 11pm CST.  None of these servers used to have a queue, and hasn't had a queue since Burning Crusade.

What's really funny is that any developer would love to sell a million copies, let alone 2+...sold more than any other game has players still lol...if that's bad, then I guess I'm wrong.

Edit: Forgot to mention that some of the best times I've ever had in any MMO was in small games that probably only had maybe 400-500 players...It's a game, it's about fun, not numbers.

Originally posted by Gravarg

some of the best times I've ever had in any MMO was in small games that probably only had maybe 400-500 players...It's a game, it's about fun, not numbers.

i agree that numbers dont matter for personal fun

but numbers still get tossed around as source of measurement like everything else under the sun

taking about numbers is no worse than talking about politics ;)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

i was giving contextual information

Blizzard is the best selling mmo but MOP seems to be the weakest selling expansion for Blizzard in the last 4 years

Because 2.7 million isn't a lot...

All you people just wetting yourselves for this game to die, especially posts from people thathate the game or have not played since Vanilla, who cares? Post after post of the same bullshit. People complain about the treadmill in WoW, don't any of you get tired of seeing the same threads over and over again?

Now all of you count to 2.7 million, make a post when your done.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Aori

People got burned with Cata, they are waiting to see if MoP will be the right path.

MoP releases after a terrible expansion and in a still very shaky economy.

Alot of players because of financial reasons are dispersing to B2P/F2P options. Right now GW2, D3 and TL2 are good recent options this year. There are quite a few other games coming out and a few that have been out for awhile now.

its a reasonable explanation -- especially w D3 selling 10 million 3 months ago

everything ive heard about MOP is that its a good expansion despite weaker sales

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

A damn near decade old mmorpg sells 2.7 million copies in ONE week before they release in China and this crowd is harking on it selling less that the last expansion? After so long do you really expect the game to continue to out perform itself? While at the same time it's STILL out performing the competition. Let's not debate that little nugget, but do yourself a favor and try to think of ANY mmorpg expansion released  that has outperformed it's previous expansion or matched it. You won't find those numbers and you know why? Because no other mmo developer EVER releases those numbers! And no one in the industry cares about them either.

I even tried to look up GW numbers for how the original sold as oppose to the expansions and no one is bothering to seperate the numbers. They are all lumped together as one big number at 6.5 million. And if you divide that number by the number of expansions then you get roughly 1.6 million per release. Now compare that to WoW's numbers at 4.7 million per release with the exception to the last expansion at 2.7 million. And if you lump together Blizzard's game + expansions like GW's, you get a whopping 21.5 million copies of WoW roughly sold.

I repeat, that is not bad for such an old game. To steadily out perform EVERY competitor since it's last exansion release 2 years ago says a lot about the impact it still has on the industry. That list includes: TSW, GW2, SWTOR and a slew of F2P and expansions for all of those games.

And this is coming from a guy that currently enjoying the sh*t out of GW2 and looking foward to enjoying DF: UW, AoW and AA.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    But....but....everyone on the Gw2 forum said they only sold 700k....I'm confused :p
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

A damn near decade old mmorpg sells 2.7 million copies in ONE week before they release in China and this crowd is harking on it selling less that the last expansion? After so long do you really expect the game to continue to out perform itself? While at the same time it's STILL out performing the competition. Let's not debate that little nugget, but do yourself a favor and try to think of ANY mmorpg expansion released  that has outperformed it's previous expansion or matched it. You won't find those numbers and you know why? Because no other mmo developer EVER releases those numbers! And no one in the industry cares about them either.

I even tried to look up GW numbers for how the original sold as oppose to the expansions and no one is bothering to seperate the numbers. They are all lumped together as one big number at 6.5 million. And if you divide that number by the number of expansions then you get roughly 1.6 million per release. Now compare that to WoW's numbers at 4.7 million per release with the exception to the last expansion at 2.7 million. And if you lump together Blizzard's game + expansions like GW's, you get a whopping 21.5 million copies of WoW roughly sold.

I repeat, that is not bad for such an old game. To steadily out perform EVERY competitor since it's last exansion release 2 years ago says a lot about the impact it still has on the industry. That list includes: TSW, GW2, SWTOR and a slew of F2P and expansions for all of those games.

And this is coming from a guy that currently enjoying the sh*t out of GW2 and looking foward to enjoying DF: UW, AoW and AA.

I don't think anybody stated their sales were bad. I believe anyone to a man would admit it's still very impressive especially due to the age of the game.

The sales number comes up because it is also well known, as Blizz has reported themselves, that they are/were bleeding subs.

Now bleeding to Blizz is an entirely different thing than bleeding to other companies but on a percentage basis it has been very significant. Lost revenue is lost revenue.

This was the x-pac that they wanted to bring players back. Rekindling the horde vs alliance fued.

The sales number is the first barometer to see if Blizz has suceeded in their goal. I would say at the 1 week mark probably not. Sales are down from previous x-pacs. Again, that doesn't mean they are awful, just down.

Alot of people will buy, sub, play for a while then cancel again.

The 6 month mark will be very interesting for Blizz and the direction of WoW.

ive only mentioned Blizzard compared to Blizzard in this thread

but since ANET has been mentioned - they too have a site for press releases

http://www.guildwars.com/events/press/releases/

ncsoft used to give a 2 year quarterly history of new GW1 accounts being sold

(not to be confused w campaigns -- these are new accounts)

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/ncsoft-releases-quarterly-report-guild-t10355520.html?s=03c4de217efb063cd387c2af2fa6ac77&t=10355520

QTR / Accounts
    Sep 2006 / 2,447,000
    Dec 2006 / 3,122,000
    Mar 2007 / 3,555,000
    Jun 2007 / 3,917,000
    Sep 2007 / 4,500,000
    Dec 2007 / 4,878,000
    Mar 2008 / 5,159,000
    Jun 2008 / 5,377,000
    Sep 2008 / 5,589,000
    Dec 2008 / 5,803,000

Originally posted by Ghern

I don't think anybody stated their sales were bad. I believe anyone to a man would admit it's still very impressive especially due to the age of the game.

The sales number comes up because it is also well known, as Blizz has reported themselves, that they are/were bleeding subs.

Now bleeding to Blizz is an entirely different thing than bleeding to other companies but on a percentage basis it has been very significant. Lost revenue is lost revenue.

This was the x-pac that they wanted to bring players back. Rekindling the horde vs alliance fued.

The sales number is the first barometer to see if Blizz has suceeded in their goal. I would say at the 1 week mark probably not. Sales are down from previous x-pacs. Again, that doesn't mean they are awful, just down.

Alot of people will buy, sub, play for a while the cancel again.

Yes, yes they're bleeding subs. Everyone knows it including Blizzard as you so pointed out. Is it that hard to understand with such an old ass game? It's like someone constantly telling me that Vanessa Williams is damn near 50 years old and me saying: Yeah, but she still looks good! Or better yet your grandpa is taking all newcomers in a boxing match and constantly whooping their asses and someone pointing out: Hey look! He's getting tired!

Well no sh*t after knocking out 10 people half his age or younger. We all know he won't last forever...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

Alot of people will buy, sub, play for a while the cancel again.

Yes, yes they're bleeding subs. Everyone knows it including Blizzard as you so pointed out. Is it that hard to understand with such an old ass game? It's like someone constantly telling me that Vanessa Williams is damn near 50 years old and me saying: Yeah, but she still looks good! Or better yet your grandpa is taking all newcomers in a boxing match and constantly whooping their asses and someone pointing out: Hey look! He's getting tired!

Well no sh*t after knocking out 10 people half his age our younger. We all know he won't last forever...

Well, I suppose because people find it interesting to watch.

It's in your right to get frustrated by all the talk about it but that isn't going to make it stop.

All the stuff you pointed out should be obvious to everyone. It does not mean people will just stop discussing it though.

ive only mentioned Blizzard compared to Blizzard in this thread

but since ANET has been mentioned - they too have a site for press releases

http://www.guildwars.com/events/press/releases/

ncsoft used to give a 2 year quarterly history of new GW1 accounts being sold

(not to be confused w campaigns -- these are new accounts)

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/ncsoft-releases-quarterly-report-guild-t10355520.html?s=03c4de217efb063cd387c2af2fa6ac77&t=10355520

QTR / Accounts
    Sep 2006 / 2,447,000
    Dec 2006 / 3,122,000
    Mar 2007 / 3,555,000
    Jun 2007 / 3,917,000
    Sep 2007 / 4,500,000
    Dec 2007 / 4,878,000
    Mar 2008 / 5,159,000
    Jun 2008 / 5,377,000
    Sep 2008 / 5,589,000
    Dec 2008 / 5,803,000

Those numbers INCLUDE campaigns sold as well since you cannot have a expansion without the original. I thought I explained that. They never released the sales figures of each campaigns sold seperately. I'm sure if Blizzard released a 2 year spread of how many WoW accounts were added since it's original release date til Dec 2006 you'd see number dwarfing those of GW.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I've come to the conclusion you will never see this number, ever. Lets all just move on and understand that WoW's subs will slowly go down more and more over time. I do believe it will be around for a long time but after MoP i just don't think they are going to put that much more into it and focus on Titan more.

Peace

Lascer

Those numbers INCLUDE campaigns sold as well since you cannot have a expansion without the original. I thought I explained that. They never released the sales figures of each campaigns sold seperately. I'm sure if Blizzard released a 2 year spread of how many WoW accounts were added since it's original release date til Dec 2006 you'd see number dwarfing those of GW.

GW1 and WOW expansions are impossible to compare

unlike other mmos -- you could buy a different GW1 campaign like Factions or Nightfall and need nothing else

for other mmos, expansion is worthless unless the base game is included

GW1 had a variety of bundlepacks but only 1 expansion (Eye of the North) that required an existing game

otherwise,

you are correct, if comparing sold accts to sold accts, WOW may be as high a 100 million

(even everquest claims they had 20 million accts over the course of history)

Well no sh*t after knocking out 10 people half his age our younger. We all know he won't last forever...

Well, I suppose because people find it interesting to watch.

It's in your right to get frustrated by all the talk about it but that isn't going to make it stop.

All the stuff you pointed out should be obvious to everyone. It does not mean people will just stop discussing it though.

Yeah I know it won't stop. Look, I've been at this (mmorpg gaming) for a long time. Been playing mmorpgs before WoW hit the scene and will be playing them well after it makes the final curtain call. It's just odd to see that some people can never get this game out of their system and I think the current and future crops of mmorpgs are the only things suffering from it. I've managed to move on while at the same time I don't hold any ill will toward my time in Azeroth. It was a good experience for me and I don't regret it (I learned some valuable lessons about myself as a mmorpg player). But some of the chuckleheads here are treating their time in Azeroth as a relationship gone bad rather a lesson learned (whether it's the evils of raids, gear threadmills or questing).

And people tend to hold on and fester in the memories of bad relationships much longer than bad experiences. They, unlike experiences, tend to carry over to the next relationship. While bad experiences, on the other hand, can be reflected on or reversed. I mean really, where do you think all that vemon will be directed at once WoW shuts down for good?

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

GW1 and WOW expansions are impossible to compare

unlike other mmos -- you could buy a different GW1 campaign like Factions or Nightfall and need nothing else

for other mmos, expansion is worthless unless the base game is included

GW1 had a variety of bundlepacks but only 1 expansion (Eye of the North) that required an existing game

otherwise,

you are correct, if comparing sold accts to sold accts, WOW may be as high a 100 million

(even everquest claims they had 20 million accts over the course of history)

Both are still content  based on the original game made from the same company.  They can very well be compared: both are methods of distributing content.