Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Guild Wars 2: Raising the Bar

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by grimal

Longevity 9?   How in the world did you come up with this number?

Edit:  I guess since "hundreds and hundreds of hours" equals a 9, the expectation is for an MMO to satiate our appetites for a month?  If so, what's the big deal if it's B2P or P2P since all the content is done within that first month and there is never a need to pay past the inital box price?

There is tons of longetivity in this game simply with the pvp. Best in the industry, IMO.

But if one is not interested in the PVP, then what?  How is there longevity for the PVE players?

That is definately questionable. But there is longetivity there, if you like it or not is more personal.

Well, if you want to look at it that way, you can say every game has a 9 longevity even if it's a matter of nothing to do since there might be 1 person that actually likes logging in and doing absolutely nothing.

Edit: This is the much larger problem of the method in which reviewers review MMOs.  You cannot give an MMORPG a fair score until after the honeymoon phase has worn off.  Otherwise, it's all an emotional response with little thought behind it.  This keeps getting pointed out again and again yet every reviewer wants to put their review out after a few days play of a game in a genre that by its very nature is supposed to have a long-time playstyle.  Its a sad day indeed when an MMO has the same shelf-life of a console game and we go and give them a 9 for it.

There is a big difference from logging in and doing nothing, because there is nothing to do and doing nothing because you don't want/like to do it.

Ok, but one can argue every MMO has endgame.  So why don't they all score a 9?  What makes this endgame any different?

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I think the game does some good things and bad..    Exploration is very good for a theme park game, however if you do not like to explore you can fast travel.          Graphics are very good.         voice overs and production are good not great.      Combat is good not great.        Story line and quests are confusing , I listen to the stories but they are either uninteresting or scattered and not cohesive--I like the stories and quests in SWTOR and TSW quite a bit better.        Crafting once you figure it out (the manual is crap so good luck) is ok, again not as good as Vanguard, Eve, Fallen Earth , EQ2 and others.            PvP is good, again confusing (who are you fighting for, why , what are the rewards? etc),  I personally liked the PvP in GW1 better.

So If you like your themeparks to have exploration in them, with good graphics and decent yet confusing PvP this game is for you

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Nice write-up. Glad to see a game that was hyped finally live up to it. Kudos ArenaNet.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Its seldom that I agree with a review as much as I agreed with every aspect of this review. Good job.
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Edit:  I guess since "hundreds and hundreds of hours" equals a 9, the expectation is for an MMO to satiate our appetites for a month?  If so, what's the big deal if it's B2P or P2P since all the content is done within that first month and there is never a need to pay past the inital box price?

There is tons of longetivity in this game simply with the pvp. Best in the industry, IMO.

I was going to leave this whole review and thread alone and let the super fans have their moment all cheering about how amazing this unamazing game is.

Best PvP in the industry? I've PvPed in pretty much every MMO that has had the option and I've been playing MMOs since The Realm. This is some of the most boring PvP I have ever encountered in my entire gaming life. This statement is so absurd I can't even fathom it.

To put in perspective how crazy this statement is, it made me post in this thread when:

The innovation score should have been a 1. They literally did NOTHING new. How can they have a 10 innovation score without innovating? It is ridiculous. Yet I did not post in this thread.

Longevity? Really? The game gets boring faster than most MMOs out there. It is one massive boring kill task or WvW boring pointless zergfest. There is little longevity to this game on a large scale. There will be a small audience that sticks with it for a long time, like almost any product, but it doesn't have mainstream longevity at all. Yet I did not post in this thread.

Such a high overall score? They game was fairly polished (with a big exception being DEs that weren't in the starter zone. I can't count how many of those I saw bug out) which is a good thing. The graphics weren't bad, not amazing, but not bad. It is easy to learn and easy to figure out where to go next. All of those things are good things. The problem is the game lacked substance. They took out the fun part of MMOs: good/deep story, interesting quests in varied interesting dungeons with a wide variety of puzzles/bosses, having lots of customization, creating socialization, quality PvP with a point. It left in the kill and gather tasks and the exploration awards (which pretty much every game does now anyway). Yet I did not post.

But to have the insane audacity to claim best PvP in the industry. That blew my mind so much I literally had to post. To take a queue off of a pissed off NYT writer I will simply end with: Really? Best PvP in the industry, really? Really?

To claim it's the best PvP in the industry is just as bad as claiming it has the worst. 

Look at your point in orange.

That statement makes me disregard all of your "MMO experiences". I don't give a crap what you've played. If you can't look past a zerg, and see what a game has to offer. Then so be it, but I say it's a load of BS.

This goes for any poster, on any game, disregarding it because of a simple zerg.

Hating the game because of hackers, botters, siege placements, class or population imbalances, even a disagreement in game design are all things I can not refute. Because no matter how you play the game, those will always be there.

But a zerg? Really? Like, really?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I feel some scores certainly are too high, a game never deserves a 10 in anything for starters because that deems it is perfect, which we all know is impossible.

I hope GW2 can add to the endgame because my friends have only been playing for 2-3 weeks and they don't know what to do besides PvP, they look how they want to look and now there's nothing really left.

Hopefully they add in Guild halls, GvG PvP, maybe personal housing one day, arenas, dueling, etc.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Easily the best MMO in years, very fun on every level. My problem with it though would be lack of incentives, you kinda just run around at max level. Aside from PvP world events are....meh. Not saying that raiding is needed, but possibly more sandbox features, housing, minigames. etc. Idk, I need to play more of it yet but I can't say I have an issue with the game. Paid $60 for it, got more out of that money than maybe any other purchase before it.

edit: In terms of video game purchases that is. ;p

• PaczykPaczyk Member Posts: 6

How can a MMO that still dosen't even have a fully functional party/raid system get 9/10? No to mention NO ENDGAME.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

So you've already spent $30 dollars in gems in less than 2 months? Hmmm. Let's see...$15 a month would be 2 months of ALL content...I think you would have spent less with a sub...Just saying...

It's not that I don't appreciate this particular game being FTP. I'm just emphasizing that when people moan about subscriptions they should look at the actual cost of so-called FTP.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Paczyk

How can a MMO that still dosen't even have a fully functional party/raid system get 9/10? No to mentio NO ENDGAME.

Tell me about it, lol  My whole guild quit already because there is no end game.  Just the same maps every night in W v W v W which is their endgame.....  The game is good and well-made but more like a 7.5 it is not that "great"......

Heck I had more fun in Warhammer as the RvR had actual consequences and rewards.....

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Wolvards

I was going to leave this whole review and thread alone and let the super fans have their moment all cheering about how amazing this unamazing game is.

Best PvP in the industry? I've PvPed in pretty much every MMO that has had the option and I've been playing MMOs since The Realm. This is some of the most boring PvP I have ever encountered in my entire gaming life. This statement is so absurd I can't even fathom it.

To put in perspective how crazy this statement is, it made me post in this thread when:

The innovation score should have been a 1. They literally did NOTHING new. How can they have a 10 innovation score without innovating? It is ridiculous. Yet I did not post in this thread.

Longevity? Really? The game gets boring faster than most MMOs out there. It is one massive boring kill task or WvW boring pointless zergfest. There is little longevity to this game on a large scale. There will be a small audience that sticks with it for a long time, like almost any product, but it doesn't have mainstream longevity at all. Yet I did not post in this thread.

Such a high overall score? They game was fairly polished (with a big exception being DEs that weren't in the starter zone. I can't count how many of those I saw bug out) which is a good thing. The graphics weren't bad, not amazing, but not bad. It is easy to learn and easy to figure out where to go next. All of those things are good things. The problem is the game lacked substance. They took out the fun part of MMOs: good/deep story, interesting quests in varied interesting dungeons with a wide variety of puzzles/bosses, having lots of customization, creating socialization, quality PvP with a point. It left in the kill and gather tasks and the exploration awards (which pretty much every game does now anyway). Yet I did not post.

But to have the insane audacity to claim best PvP in the industry. That blew my mind so much I literally had to post. To take a queue off of a pissed off NYT writer I will simply end with: Really? Best PvP in the industry, really? Really?

To claim it's the best PvP in the industry is just as bad as claiming it has the worst. 

That statement makes me disregard all of your "MMO experiences". I don't give a crap what you've played. If you can't look past a zerg, and see what a game has to offer. Then so be it, but I say it's a load of BS.

This goes for any poster, on any game, disregarding it because of a simple zerg.

Hating the game because of hackers, botters, siege placements, class or population imbalances, even a disagreement in game design are all things I can not refute. Because no matter how you play the game, those will always be there.

It offers nothing, and it is almost always zergs. So your points are all lost.

Even if you have an entire guild and no random people in the WvW with you the problem is..... IT IS STILL POINTLESS. The entire premise of WvW and how it is implemented makes it pointless. Winning or losing it doesn't matter.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

How can a MMO that still dosen't even have a fully functional party/raid system get 9/10? No to mentio NO ENDGAME.

Party system works fine and has since a few days after launch. THERE IS NO RAIDING. Why would there be a functional raid system in a game with no raids?

Originally posted by Senadina

So you've already spent $30 dollars in gems in less than 2 months? Hmmm. Let's see...$15 a month would be 2 months of ALL content...I think you would have spent less with a sub...Just saying...

It's not that I don't appreciate this particular game being FTP. I'm just emphasizing that when people moan about subscriptions they should look at the actual cost of so-called FTP.

So he spent $30 that automatically means everyone spent $30? No. Which is the entire point that youre missing. The majority of people in F2P / B2P games dont spend any money on the shops. Theyre supposrted by those that are willing to spend.

• BalverineBalverine Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Wolvards

Why? It is a just a pointless Zergfest. You seem to still miss his points, which are all correct.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Raids are a pointless zerg fest against script mobs
  • PaczykPaczyk Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Party system works fine and has since a few days after launch. THERE IS NO RAIDING. Why would there be a functional raid system in a game with no raids?

Try to inv some from the chat (you have to enter his name manually) or dissmiss an offline player from your party. GL!

Raids == Squads under the WVW Commander. Works like sh*t

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Great review and spot on

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    While I agree with many points of this review, I was astounded at the high mark for gameplay. That's easily GW2's weakest point -- I'd probably give it a 6 out of 10 at best. Longevity is a bit harder to guess at  -- it didn't hold me at all and I've moved on so obviously I disagree with that rating.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Well I rate games as follow's

Bad game

Ok game

Good game

Great game

I rate GW2 as a great game, lots of fun

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

GW2 is awesome. I love it.

Is it for everyone? No. Do I care? No.

Am I having a good time playing it? Yes. And isn't that all that counts? Yes.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This "for anyone who was into oldschool mmos" nonsense

What you mean really is "for anyone who was into EQ". And yeah gw2 has nothing for hardcore EQ players (or hardcore wow type game players).

Arenanet didn't make this game for you.

They made it for the rest of us, who are sick to death of games that are completely dominated by a hardcore pve progression endgame at the expense of everything else.

Smart move on their part, why compete in an over saturated market. Why compete against the "10 million players" gorilla.

I'm an oldschool gamer, you're not speaking for me, gw2 Is the best themepark mmo for my tastes since daoc.

What's also great is no sub, so in the future I can satisfy all my mmo needs by playing it alongside eve.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I thought it was shit, just my opinion.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Innovation at 10?  Don't mind the other scores because they subjectively based, but Innovation???

This game didn't innovate anything, they removed things...that's not innovation...quests are still there (hubless or not), quests are still cookie cutter, generic fetch and kill quests, crafting is still gather these mats and hope you can make something with what you got, removal of the trinity instantly forces the dumbing down of a mobs AI in a dungeon.  Main combat skills are based off of a weapon rather than point allotment or levels...

These game is possibly one of the least innovative games to come out in years....good job MMORPG...you passed the ANET provided litmus test...

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    This "for anyone who was into oldschool mmos" nonsense

What you mean really is "for anyone who was into EQ". And yeah gw2 has nothing for hardcore EQ players (or hardcore wow type game players).

Arenanet didn't make this game for you.

They made it for the rest of us, who are sick to death of games that are completely dominated by a hardcore pve progression endgame at the expense of everything else.

Smart move on their part, why compete in an over saturated market. Why compete against the "10 million players" gorilla.

I'm an oldschool gamer, you're not speaking for me, gw2 Is the best themepark mmo for my tastes since daoc.

What's also great is no sub, so in the future I can satisfy all my mmo needs by playing it alongside eve.

/aggreed

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by abeltensor

with a broken dungeon system and no distinguishable class system, a hidden quest system and absolutely no end game this game doesnt deserve any of the praise its getting.  It basically is the game that will break the genre of the MMORPG and turn serious gamers away.  In-fact, i think MMOs died when WoW came out and every mmo after that decided to make their content all quest based.  

Back in the days of real MMOs where you invested 1000s of hours into your character and went on quests that were for unique items most of which sucked in retrospect but where fun to have because you could say i got that by competing this mammoth quest that involved talking to No NPCs.  Instead these games no supplement those unique items with achievements which don’t really matter either way.  GW2 isn’t innovative, Its ambitious but that about it.   The idea of breaking the Holy Trinity is quite a good one, but the way it was executed was horrible.  The idea of level scaling was a good one, but in the game it was horrible.  Etc etc.  There so much in this game that sounds good on paper but really turns out to be a bad decision.  

For any one who was into the old school MMOs, the "Hard-core" crowd this review is an insult and a horrifying look into what is supposedly considered to be innovative in this genera. 

THIS TIMES 1,000,000

It is a complete insult.  Now we know that people prefer generic and stupid over thought provoking and complex.  Wonderful....another beautiful creation destroyed by the "Pop Culture"...