Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Daniel Erickson Departs BioWare Austin

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the second big departure from BioWare-Austin, Star Wars: The Old Republic lead writer Daniel Erickson has confirmed with Gamasutra that he has left the studio to "pursue other creative endeavors".

"I can confirm that I am parting ways with BioWare," he told us. "After seven years learning from the best in the business I am again looking for ways to grow as a creative leader and an artist."

"Unfortunately that means leaving behind the studio I helped start and finding a new group of brilliant people to learn from," he continued. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54

aka: Bioware is no longer a creatively driven studio, and Daniel Erickson has no interest in being told how to think by EA.

Good luck sir, I enjoyed your stories :)!

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I guess James Ohlen is next on the chopping block. After all, they were both living on borrowed time after it became apparent TOR didn't really deliver as promised given how much was invested into the game and EA decided it's no longer a "high priority project".
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

*plays Taps*

Bioware is now officially dead.  EA, go burn in Hell.  You destroyed another wonderful company.

• RebellonRebellon Member Posts: 49

Jeff Hickam will be the last one to patch the hole on this exploding ship.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

I was somewhat a fan of Bioware for a long time (since bg1) and up until recently. but i would never have believed the people

who said bioware would die after EA took over. Not only were they right, but i doubt even those ppl, would have seen it coming how FAST shit went downhill. 

R.I.P Bioware.

Now go band up and make a new studio and give us Baldurs Gate 3!  :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

What I'm about to say is simply my own opinion.

THIS GUY IS A WORLD CLASS BUFFOON. He's cocky, arrogant, and completely oblivious to what sustains a MMORPG.

I remember his lame little remark to a fan (during development convention) about freedom and space exploration. Daniel's reply, "Did Han ever tell Chewie, 'Hey, let's just go fly off and dick around in space." This remark was just stupid. If he wants to play that game, when did Luke ever tell Obi-Wan, "Hey, let's go kill Vader for his pants..." or "Let's go to the Space Station and dick around on the Auction House... because there isn't anything else to do in this dead-ass game."

If this guy is on the project, I simply won't support it.

It's funny how people like to blame EA. Take a look a Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. You honestly thought this single-player company was going to completely change it's axiom and create the most explosive massive MULTIPLAYER online reoleplaying game? Wake up. BioWare did a crap job, as did EA.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

His heart will go on. image

I'm dying for a documentary about EA/Ware, SWTOR and this whole...I can't make up my mind what to call this whole situation. They're wide open.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

THIS GUY IS A WORLD CLASS BUFFOON. He's cocky, arrogant, and completely oblivious to what sustains a MMORPG.

I remember his lame little remark to a fan (during development convention) about freedom and space exploration. Daniel's reply, "Did Han ever tell Chewie, 'Hey, let's just go fly off and dick around in space." This remark was just stupid. If he wants to play that game, when did Luke ever tell Obi-Wan, "Hey, let's go kill Vader for his pants..." or "Let's go to the Space Station and dick around on the Auction House... because there isn't anything else to do in this dead-ass game."

A-freaking-men.  he said so many things like this, and it is reflected in the end product.  Him leaving may provide some hope for TOR and givre the game some depth beyond the "OMG Story" that apperently did so well at sustaining a MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Why blame EA?  Why not blame the people who created arguably the worst MMO clone in modern history?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

"he has joined Bethesda Softworks"

Good for him. Atleast working there his creativity won't be smothered by EA's greed.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Maybe with this guy gone, BW will become less arrogant. The attitude they've shown in interviews is one good reason not to buy anything from them.

That being said, I guess they'll get buried soon enough. Their franchises have already produced enough milk.

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    It's funny how people like to blame EA. Take a look a Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. You honestly thought this single-player company was going to completely change it's axiom and create the most explosive massive MULTIPLAYER online reoleplaying game? Wake up. BioWare did a crap job, as did EA.

No, it started going downhill before the MMO, or didn't you notice?

Agreed, dude had no idea how to create an MMORPG.

Was it his fault? Probably not, but you never know.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

What an adorable picture. He even has his head tilted ever so slightly!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian

aka: Bioware is no longer a creatively driven studio, and Daniel Erickson has no interest in being told how to think by EA.

Good luck sir, I enjoyed your stories :)!

This. EA is full of bs, they have no right in the mmo industry.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    If they'd fired that arrogant asshole a long time ago, the game might have had a chance.

That makes little sense, it's like saying that if 38 Studio's fired R. A. Salvatore they might not have failed as a company. One of the few good things about SWTOR was the story so clearly Daniel Erickson did his job. However they shouldn't have allowed him to talk as he clearly doesn't understand MMO's as well as he understands writing a story.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Why blame EA?  Why not blame the people who created arguably the worst MMO clone in modern history?

People have different parts of making the game, some only voice act, some only make the story. Bioware is a EA Division, people have left bioware because they realized how much shit they threw at the bioware studio and bioware's reputation. Therefore EA is at fault and arguably the most arrogant company ever.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

Am I the only person on here that is sick to death of reading the word clone over and over to discribe everything?  Do fans of other genres have to put up with this crap?  I don't recall ever seeing thousands of posts on fps forums about how every single game is a clone cause it uses guns or whatever.  Fracking annoying.

Originally posted by stratasaurus

Am I the only person on here that is sick to death of reading the word clone over and over to discribe everything?  Do fans of other genres have to put up with this crap?  I don't recall ever seeing thousands of posts on fps forums about how every single game is a clone cause it uses guns or whatever.  Fracking annoying.

It is a clone because it copied every single aspect of WoW, and then did nothing new or different as a "Themepark". What's more, StarWars is NOT a "Themepark" viable IP as it is just too in-depth & dynamic of a universe.

They failed on multiple levels, but at the end of the day they failed by refusing to do something other than what has been done 200x before it. Look at the console industry, their games are almost nearly a complete redo each time they make a game. Think about Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, are each of those clones because they have guns? Nope, and they're almost completely different in how they play.

Unlike WoW -> SWTOR. That is why it is called a clone, and that term is completely viable to describe its failure.

First-Person Shooter. SHOOOOOTER. What else are you going to shoot with?

MMORPGs, however, is a genre of endless possibilities. Since WoW set a financial precedent, there has been no difference in post-WoW MMOs. I'm glad that it's starting to come to an end.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    I don't blame EA.  Its obious from the people leaving EA is getting rid of the people who MADE the decisions regarding swtor.  
  • mrkit73mrkit73 Member Posts: 6

I did not know that WoW was the first successful MMO ever.

I guess I learn something new everyday.

*looks over at UO*

*shrug*

btw, I do not hate Wow, it's just not my thing.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian

It is a clone because it copied every single aspect of WoW, and then did nothing new or different as a "Themepark". What's more, StarWars is NOT a "Themepark" viable IP as it is just too in-depth & dynamic of a universe.

They failed on multiple levels, but at the end of the day they failed by refusing to do something other than what has been done 200x before it. Look at the console industry, their games are almost nearly a complete redo each time they make a game. Think about Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, are each of those clones because they have guns? Nope, and they're almost completely different in how they play.

Unlike WoW -> SWTOR. That is why it is called a clone, and that term is completely viable to describe its failure.

Good laugh at how all the fps shooters are completely different in how they play.  No they aren't they are all the same and the only thing different is setting/story,how high you can jump and how many shots it takes to kill you/whatever you are shooting at.