Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 Million Sold the First Week

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I and my partner still haven't bought Mist of Pandaria and we're letting our subs go this month.    We did the Mist beta and didn't like the changes they made to the talent trees or the cross character achievements.   That means that for the first time since 2004, neither of us will have a WoW account.    We did like the new Panda's and Pandaria, we just didn't like the changes that came with it to the core game play.   Blizzard lost two fans here.  I wonder how many others feel as we do?
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Well done blizz, loving this xpac more than past efforts.. It feels so well done and has this relax feel to it..

I think the reason it didn't past Cata sales was because some person can't get over the idea of pandas..
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by laserit
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by laserit

Cata sold 3.3 million in the first 24hrs and MoP sold 2.7 million int he first week

This speaks volumes.

WoW has lost many customer's

i dont think its as bad is sounds

i posted elsewhere that WOTLK  sold 2.8million in the first 24hrs

making MOP the weakest selling expansion in 4 years

but.. a significant but..  more people are playing WOW w the 10 million announcement

the expansion brought back people,  just not as many people as past expansions

Sub figure's and sale figure's sure dont corrolate as i. It will be interesting to see over the next couple month's whether MoP stabilize's the subs or if we will see a more rapid decline after the shiny wear's off.

which is pretty much what happened with GW2, which has yet to stabilise. but i do agree, how well MoP has done will really need a few weeks to give a more 'balanced' picture.image

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Also remember, Thanksgiving and Christmas is coming.. Which I think will push this over 5 mil sold..
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Sub base back up to 10 million too.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Teala
    I and my partner still haven't bought Mist of Pandaria and we're letting our subs go this month.    We did the Mist beta and didn't like the changes they made to the talent trees or the cross character achievements.   That means that for the first time since 2004, neither of us will have a WoW account.    We did like the new Panda's and Pandaria, we just didn't like the changes that came with it to the core game play.   Blizzard lost two fans here.  I wonder how many others feel as we do?

not many and sure not me. MoP got me and my m8's back  for good!

thx blizz :)

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by evilprey

Cata sold 3,3 mil. after 1 day

Panda sold 2,7 mil. after 1 week

I think this is a huge regress

In the same time GW2 is close to sell 3 mil .

GW2 had ten times smaller budget then panda and Blizz had (as they said) 9 mil. subs .

I think wow will loose 2-3 mil.subs in 1 year

Wow, this guy made up a bunch of numbers.

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99
    Can someone explain me what are doing 7.3 million players in wow? If was sold just 2.7 million and has 10 million subscribers...
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

GW2 had ten times smaller budget then panda and Blizz had (as they said) 9 mil. subs .

Where did you get budget info on GW2 and MoP?

GW2 clearly had a massive budget and certainly cost more than MoP did to develop.  MoP has the benefit of an existing engine and only adding 5 levels of content plus dungeonsand raids.  GW2 required a new engine and TONS of content.

In the end it doesn't matter.  The only ones expecting GW2 to outsell MoP were ANET and GW2 fanboys.  GW2 can be a success without outselling MoP.

...*facepalm* lol

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100

GW2 clearly had a massive budget and certainly cost more than MoP did to develop.  MoP has the benefit of an existing engine and only adding 5 levels of content plus dungeonsand raids.  GW2 required a new engine and TONS of content.

In the end it doesn't matter.  The only ones expecting GW2 to outsell MoP were ANET and GW2 fanboys.  GW2 can be a success without outselling MoP.

So did Guild Wars have engine. Its the same engine as GW1 but modified.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Mueslinator

I tend to say that there are "MMORPG players" and "WoW players". This isn't meant disparagingly or qualifying. But I have heard it so often that the market for MMORPGs has "room for competition" since WoW has so many subscribers, yet every other sub-based MMORPG has significantly less, and peaks at a fraction of WoW's numbers.

The fallacy here is that the people claiming this equate "plays WoW" with "is interested in MMORPGs". And most WoWers -in my experience- are not. They play WoW and only WoW. Their hobby is not "playing an MMORPG", but "playing WoW". They either play WoW or nothing at all.

That's strange.  Most of the people I know that played WOW no longer play it.  But they do play other MMOs.

WOW was the first MMO I felt offered something worth paying for every month.  UO, EQ and SWG were on my radar but they all had things that turned me off.

Since quiting WOW I've played lots of MMOs, including a lifetime sub to LOTRO.  WOW just does the themepark, gear grind thing better than any other MMO.  But eventually that gets old.

Well, personal experience tends to differ. Mine is nothing more - personal experience. At first, I was in a 'gamer' guild in WoW. It pretty much dissolved after BC came out and destroyed our raid setup. I then tried a few casual guilds, whose members very much were 'WoW only'. But we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people. So, gamers of course would guild up with other gamers. Take these forums: Most people playing don't even frequent those. And yet here we are - in our little cloud ;-).

Anyhow: The next raid guild I entered: Gamers again. We raided quite successfully until Ulduar. When TotC came out, most of us quit for good.

When I next joined into a guild, it was casual again. And again, it was almost only people who didn't know any game besides WoW.

Mid-Cata I joined a project to revisit old zones and dungeons; We were over 1,000 players. This guild is still active - but whenever another MMORPG (be it TOR, TSW or GW2) would pop, only a bare handful would even show interest when someone talked about it. The most common sentiment would be: "Why would I try X, I am already paying for WoW...?" They don't play WoW for the game, either, but for the people.

Maybe, 'gamers' such as we gravitate from game to game. Some of us get stuck on a particular one, others gravitate again. But those WoWers are there to stay. They only need and want WoW until it fades away. They don'T want to know other games nor do they need them.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

That sounds believable.  Cata sold 3.3million in 24 hours but turned off a lot of players.  They had to expect a drop in sales on this expansion.  2.7 million in a week is nothing to sneeze at.  I wonder how many people are actively playing in MoP in Asia.  I'd assume they've lost roughly the same % of players as well, but who knows.

It shows just how many people are looking for alternatives to WOW in games like SWTOR and GW2.  Rift could have been huge if it was based on a well known IP.

Rift didn't need a well-known IP.  Just an interesting one.

You make me like charity

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Lethality
    So much for death, huh?  

Yes Wow is dead to us gamers who don't play in candy land mmo's anymore. Maybe others that play Wow will go through puberty and play other games out there as well..smiles

Peace

Lascer

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by escarreta
    Can someone explain me what are doing 7.3 million players in wow? If was sold just 2.7 million and has 10 million subscribers...

Same way it had 12 million "subscribers" and sold 4-5 million copies of Cata. China doesn't buy the game or expansions.  It's free. They pay for time played.    So now, they have 10 million "subscribers" and sold 2.7 million copies worldwide. 

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Do you just make numbers up for the fun of it?

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by expresso

I would have prefered a 3m + number just cus it's a nice number but 2.7m in a week not bad considering the bad taste Cata left and over reaction to panda's.  I tihnk if people can get over either or both of these they'll find MOP to be the best expansion to WoW... ofc that's my opinion.

I personally can't imagine a 5 level expansion being better than my experiences in TBC.  but that's just me. 

I actually like having the option of doing dailies and getting faction reputation rewards.  I also wanted Raid finders a long time ago.  There is a lot to like in WOW for the casual players that like upgrading their character.  I'm just not yet ready to  go back to the gear grind jsut yet.

I wasn't impressed with their expansion because it was tiny compared to everything else they came out with pre-ghost crawler take-over. 

However i don't like doing rep. grind It's merely a means of keeping subscribers on longer to pay more due to time constraints on the avg player. 

When i played LOTRO post F2P i learned this the hard way with their hourly quests for reputation and items as drops from mobs you could double click to instantly add rep. No turnins or limits.

Not really casual friendly and it shows ever their sudden interest in giving smaller dungeon experiences was an afterthought in my experience. Not really noteworthy just something thrown in there in the hopes of keeping the casuals happy, much like throwing in the Transmog to keep the RPers happy when they suddenly lost 2 mil to Rift.

its funny people either complain the game isnt casual friendly or the complete opposite. i always sub and resub with wow, maybe something will pop up where i cant play or im jsut not having as much fun anymore. been playing gw2 and its awesome but like every other mmo ive tried, its always missing something i cant put my finger on. i never played warcraft until wow was released but i feel like i somehow know the whole story and lore behind it. maybe its jsut because that was my first mmo where i really understood what was going on, i played eq on ps2 and ff11, eq was good really liked and enjoyed it. past couple days ive been thinking about resubbing and seeing that world pvp is increasing before 85 im pretty sure its ganna happen soon. people need to just stop hating on this game and every other game. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Drigus

he did in his last sentence but the rest is correct, so far as the press is concerned except one thing, MoP sold only 700k in the first 24 hrs. That's a far cry different the the 3.3 mil Cata sold in the first 24 hrs.

GW2 had large sales the first week, remember the first week of GW2 sales was 2.2mil and it's still growing. They had to cut off sales because of overwhelming demand. Continuous Overflow in the beginner areas and full servers across the board prove there's huge demand still for this game and it's growing. :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Kalstark
    Originally posted by expresso

I would have prefered a 3m + number just cus it's a nice number but 2.7m in a week not bad considering the bad taste Cata left and over reaction to panda's.  I tihnk if people can get over either or both of these they'll find MOP to be the best expansion to WoW... ofc that's my opinion.

I personally can't imagine a 5 level expansion being better than my experiences in TBC.  but that's just me. 

I actually like having the option of doing dailies and getting faction reputation rewards.  I also wanted Raid finders a long time ago.  There is a lot to like in WOW for the casual players that like upgrading their character.  I'm just not yet ready to  go back to the gear grind jsut yet.

I wasn't impressed with their expansion because it was tiny compared to everything else they came out with pre-ghost crawler take-over. 

However i don't like doing rep. grind It's merely a means of keeping subscribers on longer to pay more due to time constraints on the avg player. 

When i played LOTRO post F2P i learned this the hard way with their hourly quests for reputation and items as drops from mobs you could double click to instantly add rep. No turnins or limits.

Not really casual friendly and it shows ever their sudden interest in giving smaller dungeon experiences was an afterthought in my experience. Not really noteworthy just something thrown in there in the hopes of keeping the casuals happy, much like throwing in the Transmog to keep the RPers happy when they suddenly lost 2 mil to Rift.

its funny people either complain the game isnt casual friendly or the complete opposite. i always sub and resub with wow, maybe something will pop up where i cant play or im jsut not having as much fun anymore. been playing gw2 and its awesome but like every other mmo ive tried, its always missing something i cant put my finger on. i never played warcraft until wow was released but i feel like i somehow know the whole story and lore behind it. maybe its jsut because that was my first mmo where i really understood what was going on, i played eq on ps2 and ff11, eq was good really liked and enjoyed it. past couple days ive been thinking about resubbing and seeing that world pvp is increasing before 85 im pretty sure its ganna happen soon. people need to just stop hating on this game and every other game. 

I have the same feeling and i've determined it's just that the story behind WoW was so simplistic at the time that it was extremely easy to follow. The story and lore for GW2 is more complex but fun and when i played WoW me and mine were reading the storybooks about it which made it infinitely more interesting. So I plan on getting the novels for GW2. at least about the main characters and the dragons.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Playing WoW is not cool anymore. Cool kids play LoL now.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Drigus

he did in his last sentence but the rest is correct, so far as the press is concerned except one thing, MoP sold only 700k in the first 24 hrs. That's a far cry different the the 3.3 mil Cata sold in the first 24 hrs.

GW2 had large sales the first week, remember the first week of GW2 sales was 2.2mil and it's still growing. They had to cut off sales because of overwhelming demand. Continuous Overflow in the beginner areas and full servers across the board prove there's huge demand still for this game and it's growing. :)

I think those numbers highlighted in red are what people are talking about being made up........

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Typical Blizzard over-inflated numbers. If in fact its over 2 million which I sincerely doubt, then it's over 2 million people who got jerked. 

As they say, one falls every minute.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Considering WoW brags they have over 10 million subs *coughs *coughs* then isn't this a backwards step for them?

I mean, I'm no math wiz but over 10 million subs and all they've supposedly sold is over 2 million of the kiddie-favorites Kung-fu Pandas and Pokemen content? 

And you have to ask why? As they say: NUMBERS NEVER LIE!

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The 2.7 millin doesn't include china while the 10 million does. That said i have a bunch of people in my guild in wow who haven't bought mop yet,  One just got it today, So he isn't included in the mop, Some are leveling pandas, as races all of them are available no matter what level of wow expac u have,

So if u have the battlechest, Ud play up through lk content and can play any of the races, So they just level to whatever level they are able to. 

But again the 2.7 didn't include china while the 10 million subs does include china so thats some of it. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by teotius

So did Guild Wars have engine. Its the same engine as GW1 but modified.

GW1 and GW2 were massively different types of games and needed very different engines.  Just as the WOW engine is very different from the WC3 engine they used as the starting point.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by erikk3189

Considering WoW brags they have over 10 million subs *coughs *coughs* then isn't this a backwards step for them?

I mean, I'm no math wiz but over 10 million subs and all they've supposedly sold is over 2 million of the kiddie-favorites Kung-fu Pandas and Pokemen content? 

And you have to ask why? As they say: NUMBERS NEVER LIE!

They do say these are aproximate numbers .This means these are the numbers they think they are before the actual numbers are in . You only use the word aproximate in this way when your trying to put a spin on something . Its not exactly a lie . If and when your proven wrong you can refer to it being an aproximation .

They wouldn't give the exact numbers either obviously but usually they will use a different terminology if they were sure of the numbers .

It is a good bit of spin  . It'll keep people talking about WoW . People who were thinking that maybe WoW is failing might buy a copy of MoP .

What wont lie is Blizzards finances . If they dont match up to the spin its then we'll know how much  of an aproximation it is .