Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 Million Sold the First Week

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by expresso

I would have prefered a 3m + number just cus it's a nice number but 2.7m in a week not bad considering the bad taste Cata left and over reaction to panda's.  I tihnk if people can get over either or both of these they'll find MOP to be the best expansion to WoW... ofc that's my opinion.

I personally can't imagine a 5 level expansion being better than my experiences in TBC.  but that's just me. 

I actually like having the option of doing dailies and getting faction reputation rewards.  I also wanted Raid finders a long time ago.  There is a lot to like in WOW for the casual players that like upgrading their character.  I'm just not yet ready to  go back to the gear grind jsut yet.

I wasn't impressed with their expansion because it was tiny compared to everything else they came out with pre-ghost crawler take-over. 

However i don't like doing rep. grind It's merely a means of keeping subscribers on longer to pay more due to time constraints on the avg player. 

When i played LOTRO post F2P i learned this the hard way with their hourly quests for reputation and items as drops from mobs you could double click to instantly add rep. No turnins or limits.

Not really casual friendly and it shows ever their sudden interest in giving smaller dungeon experiences was an afterthought in my experience. Not really noteworthy just something thrown in there in the hopes of keeping the casuals happy, much like throwing in the Transmog to keep the RPers happy when they suddenly lost 2 mil to Rift.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Originally posted by evilprey

Cata sold 3,3 mil. after 1 day

Panda sold 2,7 mil. after 1 week

I think this is a huge regress

In the same time GW2 is close to sell 3 mil .

GW2 had ten times smaller budget then panda and Blizz had (as they said) 9 mil. subs .

I think wow will loose 2-3 mil.subs in 1 year

Uh, GW2 isnt anywhere close to 3 million... barely 2 million at a month. Until they release in China you will not see measureable GW2 growth, it is in decline.

Speaking of China, I dont even think the 2.7 million includes the China release numbers because it just released on October 2. So there is still more to go before we have definitive first month numbers for MoP. 

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

GW2 had ten times smaller budget then panda and Blizz had (as they said) 9 mil. subs .

Uh, GW2 isnt anywhere close to 3 million... barely 2 million at a month. Until they release in China you will not see measureable GW2 growth, it is in decline.

GW2 isn't a sub based game.  Their total box sales can't decline ...

They're player engagement can, however. And it is, by about 80%.

This chart doesn't even show the GW2 weekend launch peak... so, yeah.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

How do you know? Do you have a GW2 crystal ball? or are yoou using Xfire numbers (which are nonsense).

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    uhm actually direct sales (without the special deals) were at 700k. That's not really impressive considering their Cata expansion sold direct copies in the 3.3 million mark in the first 24hours.

The 700k were physical box sales, there are no special deals.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

GW2 isn't a sub based game.  Their total box sales can't decline ...

They're player engagement can, however. And it is, by about 80%.

This chart doesn't even show the GW2 weekend launch peak... so, yeah.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

What if the players using Xfire are leaving but the game still has the same number of players? If you look at the server load it still says high to full on most of them. Xfire numbers mean absolutely nothing.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Uh you do realize that it hasn't actually BEEN a month of sales right? because they stopped selling two weeks in for about two weeks to offset the sheer number of new players. 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Uh you do realize that it hasn't actually BEEN a month of sales right? because they stopped selling two weeks in for about two weeks to offset the sheer number of new players. 

They only stopped selling digital copies, or do those not count:

uhm actually direct sales (without the special deals) were at 700k. That's not really impressive considering their Cata expansion sold direct copies in the 3.3 million mark in the first 24hours.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

GuildWars 2 had one million pre-orders . It also has sold 1.17 million copy boxed units . That puts it at at least 2.17 million before you count digital downloads sales from day 2 onwards . I wouldn't be suprise if its close to 3 million in its first month .

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

And before the WoW fanbois try to compare GW2's vs MOP's "numbers" out of context and start to spin parts of the reports:

- MOP was released worldwide including Korea, Taiwan, Brazil (and some other Portugese speaking countries), while GW2 was only released in the West, EU and US specifically. Also the available realeases each depict different timeframes you cant just extrapolate.

- PPH business model does not mean Blizzard does not count MOP licence agreements closed (even if effectively offered as a free upgrade) as sales. Otherwise it wouldnt even make sense for Blizzard frequently trying to emphasize the "sales", where reached before the Chinese or specific other Eastern nations releases, as they did this time either..

- of course the "subscriber" numbers do include WoW China.

- only the client "sales" where claimed to  have been reached "after a week but before the launch of MOP in China". Not the subscribernumbers. Blizzard just carefully and missleading as ever, put those two sentences right next to each other. Nothing more. In other words its not improbable the claimed 10 Million "subscriber" where only reached after the expansion was launched in Chinam, which coincidentally was dated just two days ago.

Edit: Ok it looks like this wasnt an official Blizzard report, but just Blizzard releasing another firms estimation in their news. Why would they do that? I suspect Blizzard PR spin. First they pick out a very underwhelming estimation, then they release a slightly higher real report and everyone and all fans react joyful and positve, like "OMG SO EVERYTHING BETTER THAN EXPECTED", "OMG TOLD U SO! LOOK AT THIS! EVEN HIGHER THAN 2.7 M!", even though the sales otherwise are still underwhelming and should worry every fan.

Why would I be worried? My guild is full of players, my server is full of players, unless I suddenly can't find anyone to play with then I couldn't care less if the sub numbers were 1000 or 1,000,000

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by roo67

GuildWars 2 had one million pre-orders . It also has sold 1.17 million copy boxed units . That puts it at at least 2.17 million before you count digital downloads sales from day 2 onwards . I wouldn't be suprise if its close to 3 million in its first month .

its hard to say - places like amazon allowed players to prepurchase GW2 boxed units

Q3 ended Sept 30th

both ncsoft and blizzard will be reporting Q3 earnings early next month

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Not bad, but I still believe they're trying to recover from the horrible Cata.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

According to several sources, when combined with subscription specials and digital downloads, Mists of Pandaria has likely sold over 2.7 million copies in its first week of release.

So... they had to fudge the numbers to even hit 2.7 million sales?

Keep on reeeeeaching...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Iam sorry guys but you cant compare a real mmo (GW2, Rift and even dare say Warhammer online) with a game like World of warcraft anymore= This game  has morphed into a 'second life/angry birds' model , and that not a bad thing. but it has a different playerbase now.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Where did you get budget info on GW2 and MoP?

GW2 clearly had a massive budget and certainly cost more than MoP did to develop.  MoP has the benefit of an existing engine and only adding 5 levels of content plus dungeonsand raids.  GW2 required a new engine and TONS of content.

In the end it doesn't matter.  The only ones expecting GW2 to outsell MoP were ANET and GW2 fanboys.  GW2 can be a success without outselling MoP.

they didnt develop new engine they used gw1 one just added more stuff

and yes MoP have way more budget spend on tv, internet ads etc

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Iam sorry guys but you cant compare a real mmo (GW2) with a game like World of warcraft anymore= This game  has morphed into a 'second life/angry birds' direction , and that not a bad thing. but it has a different playerbase now.

I think MMOs in general have a different playerbase now.  The really bitter ones are on the forums asking why things aren't the way they used to be.  They have that right, of course.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Cata sold 3.3 million in the first 24hrs and MoP sold 2.7 million int he first week

This speaks volumes.

WoW has lost many customer's

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by laserit

Cata sold 3.3 million in the first 24hrs and MoP sold 2.7 million int he first week

This speaks volumes.

i dont think its as bad is sounds

i posted elsewhere that WOTLK  sold 2.8million in the first 24hrs

making MOP the weakest selling expansion in 4 years

but.. a significant but..  more people are playing WOW w the 10 million announcement

the expansion brought back people,  just not as many people as past expansions

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=6147208

Checking the Blizzard site it does look like this is an official press release by them .

I'll copy and paste the import part of the press release .....

PARIS, France -- October 4, 2012 -- Following the September 25 global rollout of World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™, the new expansion to the world’s #1 subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that millions of players have already joined the fight for Pandaria. During the first week of launch, prior to the release in China on October 2, the expansion had already sold through approximately 2.7 million copies .

Please note the use of the word approximatlely . Meaning this is still just an estimate . Its probably correct but it also means it could be spin . When Cata released there was no approximatlys about it . It was "over" 3.3 million in the first 24 hours .

The devil is always in the details .

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Iam sorry guys but you cant compare a real mmo (GW2, Rift and even dare say Warhammer online) with a game like World of warcraft anymore= This game  has morphed into a 'second life/angry birds' model , and that not a bad thing. but it has a different playerbase now.

Really? Do you even play Rift? I could post tens of pictures only with city chat, which is more than offensive to any decent person. Ol' Barrens chat sounds like poetry in comparison. About Warhammer online, let's face it, it flopped. The game is empty. And about GW2, when i'm gonna miss a bot infested game, diminishing returns as a solution, and no real end-game, i'll think about that. So far, still, you can't go wrong with WoW, no matter what the doomsayers preach. 

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

People are too biased... when a game that by all indications has hemorrhaged players, sells 2mill copies in a few weeks, its an amazing feat, (this game is supposedly a 9 in innovation btw LOL)

But when WoW sells 2.7mill copies in a week on its 4th expansion it's a sign of death? 

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Iam sorry guys but you cant compare a real mmo (GW2) with a game like World of warcraft anymore= This game  has morphed into a 'second life/angry birds' direction , and that not a bad thing. but it has a different playerbase now.

I think MMOs in general have a different playerbase now.  The really bitter ones are on the forums asking why things aren't the way they used to be.  They have that right, of course.

I tend to say that there are "MMORPG players" and "WoW players". This isn't meant disparagingly or qualifying. But I have heard it so often that the market for MMORPGs has "room for competition" since WoW has so many subscribers, yet every other sub-based MMORPG has significantly less, and peaks at a fraction of WoW's numbers.

The fallacy here is that the people claiming this equate "plays WoW" with "is interested in MMORPGs". And most WoWers -in my experience- are not. They play WoW and only WoW. Their hobby is not "playing an MMORPG", but "playing WoW". They either play WoW or nothing at all.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Mueslinator

I tend to say that there are "MMORPG players" and "WoW players". This isn't meant disparagingly or qualifying. But I have heard it so often that the market for MMORPGs has "room for competition" since WoW has so many subscribers, yet every other sub-based MMORPG has significantly less, and peaks at a fraction of WoW's numbers.

The fallacy here is that the people claiming this equate "plays WoW" with "is interested in MMORPGs". And most WoWers -in my experience- are not. They play WoW and only WoW. Their hobby is not "playing an MMORPG", but "playing WoW". They either play WoW or nothing at all.

That's strange.  Most of the people I know that played WOW no longer play it.  But they do play other MMOs.

WOW was the first MMO I felt offered something worth paying for every month.  UO, EQ and SWG were on my radar but they all had things that turned me off.

Since quiting WOW I've played lots of MMOs, including a lifetime sub to LOTRO.  WOW just does the themepark, gear grind thing better than any other MMO.  But eventually that gets old.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by laserit

This speaks volumes.

i dont think its as bad is sounds

i posted elsewhere that WOTLK  sold 2.8million in the first 24hrs

making MOP the weakest selling expansion in 4 years

but.. a significant but..  more people are playing WOW w the 10 million announcement

the expansion brought back people,  just not as many people as past expansions

Sub figure's and sale figure's sure dont corrolate as i. It will be interesting to see over the next couple month's whether MoP stabilize's the subs or if we will see a more rapid decline after the shiny wear's off.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    GJ once again Blizz :)