Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dying but not dead, 4 years later

For the past 2 years people were talking about this game shutting down yet 2 years after the talk and nothing. The game has been dying with 2 servers remaining yet for some reason it still is alive.

I still can't enjoy PvP since this game, not from WoW or GW2 or any game for that matter. There is no game currently that has the balance and polish on the PvP side of the game of Warhammer. People claim that GW2 reminds them of Warhammer (in a good way) yet for some reason that game suceeds while another game fails.

I know that population was a big issue while I was playing this game but I still have my memories of 4 years of the game. I can't say that about any other game. I still don't know why people quit in droves when the game was launched. It was the reason this game ultimately failed.

My question though is, why since this game there has not been as much innovation in a game (such as a guard mechanic or a dual target system that just rocked for healers and tanks)? Then the second question is, why in 4 years there still isn't a game that has better RvR than Warhammer.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I liked Dark Age of Camelot a hell of a lot more than Warhammer Online.  Now that's a game that not only did PvP and RvR right, but they also did the classes right.  I hated the classes in Warhammer, they were so one dimensional in comparison to DAoC.  Now talk about a dumbed down version(WAR) in order to make balancing easier, but the game is much less enjoyable as a result.  I prefer GW2's version over WAR, but DAoC is still the best I've had yet.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Why don't you still play it?
  • MmocountMmocount Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Magter
    I still don't know why people quit in droves when the game was launched. It was the reason this game ultimately failed.

No it wasn't. If that was the reason, the game would have stayed around 300k, which is about where it was at the 3 month point, after the big exodus at release. Simple fact is, there's fundamental flaws with this game that kept driving people away, all it has done is lose more and more players with rare exceptions at patch points, and a rare occasion of seemingly stable population. No doubt the complete lack of realm population balance in the beginning was a big part of that, which they just completely neglected when they switched their Scenario based game to a somewhat open PVP game.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The downfall of this game was that EA didn't react to lowering subscription rates.

A game that revolves around PvP and the whole endgame is PvP ain't much without the P's.

Huge comeback promotions and full f2p system (with faster xp/renown for subs) would have saved this game.

WAR is probably the best PvP MMORPG out there at the moment but it simpy sucks without players.

It has

A) A lot of classes

B) Huge amount of PvP

C) Incentive to play at max level (renown rank system)

D) Gear progression purely through PvP (players drop tokens/armor/weapons)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    The game was not that good or interesting, compared to WoW when it released. It has been stated before that it is really hard to recover from an initial drop in subs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

I have a strange relationship with this game. There's something about it I absolutely love yet I never managed to go beyond tier 3. I must have tried at least 10 times but I always end up getting turned off by the RvR grind. 

If people hadn't stopped doing scenarios in lower tiers I would surely still be playing this.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    I agree with you OP. This game has the best pvp I've played in an MMO. But then I haven't played DAOC at all. I don't remember why I quit but I had reached RR60 and was having a lot of fun.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

When I look back on "greatest PvP moments in my life", I lways think about War Online.

I really loved this game to death. Funny thing is, I always enjoyed the war40k IP more than War Fantasy, yet this game was really great.

IF it went active again, I would insta-sub to it again. But I really doubt it. For some rason EA wants to do a F2P model for SWToR in hope to make it live. Why the f*ck have they never thought about it for War Online?

It really frustrates me. EA killed Dungeon Keeper for me, and now Warhammer Online. Yet they rush another typical crappy sports game out every year.

If they skipped that PoS Wrath of Cunts and made War Online f2p with some premium bonusses like faster leveling in ranks and levels, people would probably want to try it again.

But actually, I think EA wants to kill this game. I dont know why, but thats the only reason I can think of.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    best fantasy based PVP in mmorpg , I leave after mythic   to  join bioware,things going wrong after this
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's an EA game.  It's not meant for longevity,

I played Warhammer early on, and the PVP was spectacular. But the PVE was dumb, and mostly broken.  This is what I expect from an EA game.  Warhammer was so riddled with bugs it wasn't even funny.  Even movement bugs, where you just try to move around and end up getting stuck on a 3 inch rock on the ground.  Lame

Warhammer was just an early example of what SWTOR turned out to be .. a game released too early with lots of bugs.  It's EA's trademark.

It's really no wonder that Warhammer never took off.

The same thing is happening with GW2 .. it's a fun game, but it's PVE stinks and is anti-social.  PVP is important, but PVE keeps the world occupied.  Without PVE a game (PVP or PVE) is doomed to failure.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

I have a strange relationship with this game. There's something about it I absolutely love yet I never managed to go beyond tier 3. I must have tried at least 10 times but I always end up getting turned off by the RvR grind. 

If people hadn't stopped doing scenarios in lower tiers I would surely still be playing this.

Though I'm in tier 4, I find I have a similar relationship. I tend to come back every few months for 1-2 month spurts and then quit again. Something always pulls me back, though. To be honest, I think it's just how much I love the IP.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Class mirrors out of whack.

Crazy CC.

BW zerg trains.

Tanks dpsing like mad.

People running scens instead of RvR for faster gains.

People just trying to max out damage/healing in scens as opposed to caring about the team.

End game RvR which was just getting up ramps and PVE, PVE everywhere.

A dev team that didn't seem capable of balancing anything.

Gear making a massive difference and said gear tokens being lol tastic chance drops unless you wanted to dungeon it up (having to pve to be pvp viable, bleh).

During the first year of the game the PvP/RvR had it's issues lets face it. It may have improved massively since then but the problem is a large number of players left in that period and people don't often go back once burned, especially when they see a game with population issues.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Magter

I still don't know why people quit in droves when the game was launched. It was the reason this game ultimately failed.

The game failed because of bugs. More specifically the skill delay problem. Nothing in WAR was more frustrating then PvPing and having to push a button 4,5,6 times to actually get the skill to fire off.

Its a shame too because the Warrior Priest was without a doubt the most fitting class for my playstyle of any MMO ive ever played. DoK too but man that WP was made just for me. What a shame...miss my Squig Herder too image

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

What I loved about this game was the world, unfortunately they ruined it all with instanced pvp. Warhammer has great lore and it felt like the world was consuming me everytime I logged in...such a deep, thrilling atmosphere. Lots of well designed areas to go to etc...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Said it on another thread.

Warhammer would be a great Ip for a darkfall style game.
  • popsmokepopsmoke Member Posts: 4
    ^ agreed.