Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: 2.7 Million Sold the First Week

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Estimates of the numbers of copies of World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria are beginning to trickle in. According to several sources, when combined with subscription specials and digital downloads, Mists of Pandaria has likely sold over 2.7 million copies in its first week of release.

“With Mists of Pandaria, we set out to expand on the sense of fun and discovery that’s always been at the heart of World of Warcraft - in addition to adding a huge variety of new content and features to the game,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “It’s been gratifying to see the results of all of the work we put into this expansion and to hear all of the positive feedback from players so far.”

The World of Warcraft development team is already hard at work on the first major post-launch content update. Further details, including features and release timing, will be provided in the weeks ahead.

Source: Email press release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

That article says almost nothing, also I don't understand why they keep mentioning the diablo deal, I bought the 1 year sub with the free diablo and in game mount, it didn't get me a free copy of this expansion though you still had to buy that.

EDIT: my post was relating to the VG24/7 article you linked to, I see the post has now been edited.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    How much more content will WoW have in the future,,, Can they keep it up?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Truelevel

Why couldn't they? If SOE can keep pumping out expansions for EverQuest I don't see why Blizzard can't keep putting out new expansions for  their game as well.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

so basically World of Warcraft: Mists of Diablo 3 : 2.7 million sold...

<.<

ill admit i was suckeered into that last OCtober- but havent paid that year sub since Dec. called it a dayafter my  D3 CE. -and I havent even relogged to that since GW2.

Its been a bad year for Blizz, everyone is entitled to a bad hair day. SC2 HoS may be their comeback.

doubful as everyone is really waiting for SC2: Legacy of the Void.

For now Tyria is my found new home.

:)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

That sounds believable.  Cata sold 3.3million in 24 hours but turned off a lot of players.  They had to expect a drop in sales on this expansion.  2.7 million in a week is nothing to sneeze at.  I wonder how many people are actively playing in MoP in Asia.  I'd assume they've lost roughly the same % of players as well, but who knows.

It shows just how many people are looking for alternatives to WOW in games like SWTOR and GW2.  Rift could have been huge if it was based on a well known IP.

Originally posted by Truelevel

Their goal is to pump out new expansions faster.  But they've wanted that for a long time.  It took them WAY too long between the final raid in Cata and releasing MoP.  That was a huge mistake in this market.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

According to several sources, when combined with subscription specials and digital downloads, Mists of Pandaria has likely sold over 2.7 million copies in its first week of release.

So... they had to fudge the numbers to even hit 2.7 million sales?

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    So much for death, huh?  
    Originally posted by Lethality
    So much for death, huh?  

Who said it was dying?

I always read about supposed WOW killers but never see anyone here actually claim Game X will kill WOW.  Not even once.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

According to several sources, when combined with subscription specials and digital downloads, Mists of Pandaria has likely sold over 2.7 million copies in its first week of release.

So... they had to fudge the numbers to even hit 2.7 million sales?

The acutal press release has nothing to do with "subscription specials" in it. Also as I have said before the 1 year subs they ran did NOT include MoP, only access to the beta.

Since Cata launched ( and was crap ) the game has dropped a couple of million players, 2.7 million seems like a believable amount to me. I just bought my copy of the game today, an actual boxed one too because it was £3 cheaper than buying it from Blizzard.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

My dear Lord! This is going to turn into another "$300 million" topic.

Analyst "A" says: something

Analyst "B" says: something else

Analyst "C" says "A" and "B" are retarded.

Developer says: .............................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Doesn't matter though, first people complain about how it wont sell more than GW2, and then once it proves it indeed did. People will complain about how it didn't outsell the last WoW expansion therefore it sucks and WoW is dying.

Personally I am enjoying this expansion more than any previous expanion.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Lets go ahead and post a little more shall we....

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

Originally posted by evilprey

Cata sold 3,3 mil. after 1 day

Panda sold 2,7 mil. after 1 week

I think this is a huge regress

In the same time GW2 is close to sell 3 mil .

GW2 had ten times smaller budget then panda and Blizz had (as they said) 9 mil. subs .

I think wow will loose 2-3 mil.subs in 1 year

After reading this post, and looking back to my previous post, I think I can now tell the future O_O

GW2 had ten times smaller budget then panda and Blizz had (as they said) 9 mil. subs .

Where did you get budget info on GW2 and MoP?

GW2 clearly had a massive budget and certainly cost more than MoP did to develop.  MoP has the benefit of an existing engine and only adding 5 levels of content plus dungeonsand raids.  GW2 required a new engine and TONS of content.

In the end it doesn't matter.  The only ones expecting GW2 to outsell MoP were ANET and GW2 fanboys.  GW2 can be a success without outselling MoP.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I would have prefered a 3m + number just cus it's a nice number but 2.7m in a week not bad considering the bad taste Cata left and over reaction to panda's.  I tihnk if people can get over either or both of these they'll find MOP to be the best expansion to WoW... ofc that's my opinion.

I can't believe they use the word susbcriber when describing the asian playerbase who pay bythe hour and I believe they don't even need to buy the game.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Another "analyst" joins the fray.

GW2 sold how many after 2 weeks? Source.

GW2s budged compared to MoPs budget? Source that one for us.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by expresso

I would have prefered a 3m + number just cus it's a nice number but 2.7m in a week not bad considering the bad taste Cata left and over reaction to panda's.  I tihnk if people can get over either or both of these they'll find MOP to be the best expansion to WoW... ofc that's my opinion.

I personally can't imagine a 5 level expansion being better than my experiences in TBC.  but that's just me. 

I actually like having the option of doing dailies and getting faction reputation rewards.  I also wanted Raid finders a long time ago.  There is a lot to like in WOW for the casual players that like upgrading their character.  I'm just not yet ready to  go back to the gear grind jsut yet.

Originally posted by expresso

Agreed, and I think they will in time. Just had a friend come back who was pretty content on leaving the game for good, because of those 2 very reasons. Well he is back now, and enjoying the game. It is a very good expansion. So far it has been my favorite, and I loved WotLK for the Lore and such.

Hope everyone enjoying the game continues to do so :)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    uhm actually direct sales (without the special deals) were at 700k. That's not really impressive considering their Cata expansion sold direct copies in the 3.3 million mark in the first 24hours.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I can't believe they use the word susbcriber when describing the asian playerbase who pay bythe hour and I believe they don't even need to buy the game.

Well atleast they give a clear explaination of what they consider a subscriber at the bottom unlike any other developer.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

Uh, GW2 isnt anywhere close to 3 million... barely 2 million at a month. Until they release in China you will not see measureable GW2 growth, it is in decline.

Originally posted by Lethality

Uh, GW2 isnt anywhere close to 3 million... barely 2 million at a month. Until they release in China you will not see measureable GW2 growth, it is in decline.

GW2 isn't a sub based game.  Their total box sales can't decline ...