Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder how long it will take for people to have it sink in?

My son and I beta tested the first on line game. Then moved on to EQ. I have basically stopped playing  since Camelot. games are on a completly didfernt style. My son buys the newest game and seems to play them for a month. when are people going to learn there is nothing new under the sun? Wash , rinse , repeat. All these games are exactly the same. All I can say is have fun for a month then buy the next one.

Game till you bleed

King of the world

Comments

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

People played SWG for 8 years.

Just saying.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

This belongs in the GW2 forums because....?

You didnt even mention the game. Just 2 much older games.

Anyway. I find it kind of funny youre claiming all these games are the same, yet say you havent played since Camelot (I assume you mean DAOC?). How exactly do you know what each game is like then with having no 1st hand experience whatsoever?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    They are not the same, but in a way you are correct. Rather than a month though (the period that you personally get bored). It should be, play the game until you stop enjoying it. Jobs a good un.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Kram59

My son and I beta tested the first on line game. Then moved on to EQ. I have basically stopped playing  since Camelot. games are on a completly didfernt style. My son buys the newest game and seems to play them for a month. when are people going to learn there is nothing new under the sun? Wash , rinse , repeat. All these games are exactly the same. All I can say is have fun for a month then buy the next one.

Game till you bleed

What I wonder is how long it will take for it to sink in that everyone has different tastes and opinions. I played UO for 10-11 years, FFXI for 5 years. Sometimes a game grabs you. An MMO should if they expect a monthly fee. GW2 looks like it's going to be added to that list of games that grabbed me because I can see long term interest for me.

Sorry you are stuck with game hopping.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kram59

when are people going to learn there is nothing new under the sun? Wash , rinse , repeat. All these games are exactly the same.

• Ultima Online
    • Everquest
    • EVE Online
    • Furcadia
    • Vindictus
    • Entropia Universe
    • Second Life
    • World of Warcraft
    • Maple Story
    • Red Light Center
    • Puzzle Pirates
    • Guild Wars 1/2
    • Wizard 101

Yer right. All EQ clones. Or clones of whatever that first game is that you mentioned. Rinse, repeat.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

So why do people = Your 1 son?

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

People played SWG for 8 years.Just saying.

Five people played SWG for eight years...Ok so there was more than that, but not a great deal more.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Presbytier

Just saying.

Five people played SWG for eight years...Ok so there was more than that, but not a great deal more.

They still had a couple of High/close to full servers before the closure announcement was made, if I remember correctly. For a game as old as it was and with the storms it weathered, I'd say it was doing pretty well. I seriously doubt it was closed due to population.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 is more a mash up daoc, gw1 & coh. It owes very little of its heritage to EQ (or wow)
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Seillan

People played SWG for 8 years. Just saying.

They still had a couple of High/close to full servers before the closure announcement was made, if I remember correctly. For a game as old as it was and with the storms it weathered, I'd say it was doing pretty well. I seriously doubt it was closed due to population.

It really seems to be wishful thinking to believe they where even making very much money on SWG. If SWG was doing as well as every said it was they would not have stopped developing for it all those years ago. That being said there are lots of games that have been around for some time with small to respectable populations.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It's only annoying when people get the next best thing, play it for a month and then complain they thought it would be something different. This may sound funny but paying 60.00 once or twice a year for a game you're excited to play and get a months worth of entertainment is worth it IMO.

Not that I prefer one month wonders, I like deep fantasy MMORPGs I can stay long term, it just seems like what we've been getting lately and I've wanted to give them a spin. You never know what will stick. That's come to an end however and I'll be digging in until a worthy game pops comes about.
  • DuluDulu Member UncommonPosts: 58

Your son and you "beta tested" the "first online game"?

So you were beta testers for Mazewar, back in 1970? By your account, that would make your son at least 60 years old right now. Assuming he was 18 when beta testing.

And that would make you at least 80, assuming you were at least 20 when you had your son.

So, you're either lying, or you are the coolest old man in the nursing home.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    OP has never played EVE (and some others) and his opinion is ill-formed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265

That's exactly the case. These aren't MMORPGs any more. These are the new boxed console hack 'n' slashers. They have the latest graphics, neanderthal gameplay, and you buy them and throw them away after a month. Real MMORPGs are deader than shit. The community and players are not there for them. None of the old games have the original staff, none of the designers have any ethics, everyone is chasing money and following self-degrading trends. FFXI, EQ2, and EQ have all been Lich King'd. The best you can do is play a few of these games on a fucking emulator. The herd has moved on.  Virtual worlds are dead, solely because of social engineering like WoW. Old MMORPGs were like sessions of AD&D 2nd Edition; while there may be a lot of people who will play old session of AD&D 2nd Edition, there are few who will stand up in their defense when someone offers them the same thing but with more 'feelgood' elements. The business of people is breeding and winning fame and reputation, not living inside their head. Even in the glory days of EQ few played the game the way it was meant to be played. Chatting about RL and repetively killing safe orc camps in the Commonlands is not the same as talking strategy and surviving by the skin of your teeth in Befallen.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I played (still play, actually) GW1 for over 6 years.  Lotro for almost 2 years.  I plan on playing GW2 for a long time.  The only game I've ever played for only a month was Call of Duty Black Ops and that's why I don't play those types anymore.  If you enjoy a game, you'll play it long term, so maybe you just don't enjoy games anymore?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by pkpkpk

That's exactly the case. These aren't MMORPGs any more. These are the new boxed console hack 'n' slashers. They have the latest graphics, neanderthal gameplay, and you buy them and throw them away after a month. Real MMORPGs are deader than shit. The community and players are not there for them. None of the old games have the original staff, none of the designers have any ethics, everyone is chasing money and following self-degrading trends. FFXI, EQ2, and EQ have all been Lich King'd. The best you can do is play a few of these games on a fucking emulator. The herd has moved on.  Virtual worlds are dead, solely because of social engineering like WoW. Old MMORPGs were like sessions of AD&D 2nd Edition; while there may be a lot of people who will play old session of AD&D 2nd Edition, there are few who will stand up in their defense when someone offers them the same thing but with more 'feelgood' elements. The business of people is breeding and winning fame and reputation, not living inside their head. Even in the glory days of EQ few played the game the way it was meant to be played. Chatting about RL and repetively killing safe orc camps in the Commonlands is not the same as talking strategy and surviving by the skin of your teeth in Befallen.

This is the best post I've seen on these forums in a very long time and sums up my thoughts about the current state of this genre.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Seillan

Just saying.

It really seems to be wishful thinking to believe they where even making very much money on SWG. If SWG was doing as well as every said it was they would not have stopped developing for it all those years ago. That being said there are lots of games that have been around for some time with small to respectable populations.

SWG made from SOE and LA, If 1 of them dont want to continue, the game close, was a video from a big TV channel with GLucas to say that SWG closed so SWG players not argue with SWTOR players.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

This belongs in the GW2 forums because....?

You didnt even mention the game. Just 2 much older games.

Anyway. I find it kind of funny youre claiming all these games are the same, yet say you havent played since Camelot (I assume you mean DAOC?). How exactly do you know what each game is like then with having no 1st hand experience whatsoever?

Completely agree. They really don't have the experience of playing any of the 2004+ titles to actually make a determination. And clumping GW2 in with all of the lobby style endless bloated gear grinder raid only for progression game titles is really an ignorant argument because it shows they really haven't played the title.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I think there's new things under the sun, its just companies are staying with the tried and true, playing it safe with what has worked.