Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a girl...no really, I'm a girl. Well, maybe not.

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

as a gay man i play either. Fits my personality as i am often and easily fit into the two genders activities. I can sit around working on a car drinking with the guys and turn right around and go shopping with my girlfriends in a clothes store helping them try on outfits.

So yea, my main is a male my second is a female partly because of the names i use for the characters.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

funny for years I played all males, until I made my first chick toon. At that point I understood. It's much more ummm pleasing watching the backside of a chick toon for X levels. Especially in GW2 ;) 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ThandrasThandras Member Posts: 41

It's a game. Some of us are adults playing a game. So, trying to make a valid point about anything related to a game is difficult to say the least. 

In regard to the topic, if you equate it to playing with action figures as a child, did you play with G.I. Joe or Barbie dolls? Video games are just digital representations of make believe that we used to use our imaginations to create as children.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    [mod edit]

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Master10K

I also wonder why insecure guys worry about this, as if they have to make sure the avatar they are flirting with and giving free stuff to (I actually got some free stuff on my female Sylvari), actually has a female behind it or something. 

Pretty much, and then comes the stalking. :P

I play both, though mostly male characters.

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Still mostly insecure males who worry over this most it seems?

Who cares, it is a game, an MMO, not a dating service.  I treat every person as the gender of their avatar, even if I know they real gender, it doesn't matter.  Suspension of disbelief, have fun, it is a game, if you are using it as a dating service you may need to step outside more or stick to people who want to use the game in that manner.

I just treat them as people, and call them as I see them, I won't call a female character "Dude" or anything.

Though I will change how I address them if they actually correct me ("I'm not a she!").

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Talgen
    I roll a male toon 99% of the time, but the other 1% of the time I roll a female for one reason.  Males (for some reason) are more willing to help a female character.  There are numerous times I've been a female toon and  'dudes' will offer free stuff, gold, coins, or any kinda of help.  While my 'male' character is ignored, kills stolen and etc etc..  It's quite the funny social commentary.

Art imitates life. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Thandras

It's a game. Some of us are adults playing a game. So, trying to make a valid point about anything related to a game is difficult to say the least. 

In regard to the topic, if you equate it to playing with action figures as a child, did you play with G.I. Joe or Barbie dolls? Video games are just digital representations of make believe that we used to use our imaginations to create as children.

Hmm, I don't know, I think that analogy would work better if it was "G.I. Joe or G.I. Jane", considering we get the same "playset" and "accessories" with either of them :p.

I can't lie, I probably would have played with a bad ass Demi Moore combat doll as a kid heh.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

As a male, do you play a male character or a female one?

If you're a female, male or female charater?

It's a game not life.You are free to play and create what ever u want.People having issues with female and male creations as their charachter in a game they have serious problems in real life as well.

Iam male and i always create a female character.Why?Because it's a game and i like sexy female characters instead of males.

So yeah if you have problems creating a female character in a game then something is wrong.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

Now i've no time to play any kind of on line games, but previously i'd done both kind of chars: male and female. On my last guild (on Eden Eternal) male with a female har was called G.I.R.L.: Guy In Real Life. Guy at 50... lol

After all MMO are games, so use your fantasy.

Or, better:

You can chooose

Not to lose

Find your groove

And be a winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdWX4P5J5hA

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Whatever I feel like playing at the time.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    I think someone's had an awkward moment discovering something they didn't want to know at a time when they were really enjoying themselves.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

i always play males. i just cant play female toons. doesnt feel right to me. only time i made a female toon was on warhammer. i wanted a "rogue" and the only choice was a female.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Seillan
    Originally posted by Thandras

Hmm, I don't know, I think that analogy would work better if it was "G.I. Joe or G.I. Jane", considering we get the same "playset" and "accessories" with either of them :p.

I can't lie, I probably would have played with a bad ass Demi Moore combat doll as a kid heh.

agreed :D 

Tho i never did have G.I. Joe... I usually played with Action Man, Batman and LEGO. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I sometimes play as a G.I.R.L.   (Guy in Real Life) but more often than not, especially for my main or first character I roll a male avatar.

Also seems weird on voice chat to hear a deep booming male voice coming from a character named "Michelle"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Depends on armor, models and animations. Some roles/armor/animations just suit male or female characters better in my opinion. While she almost always plays females, one of my wifes EQ chaarcters was a male - because it suited the character she envisioned better, not because she was out to pick up chicks.

I guess apparently some people that started only recently and only with online games seem to be of the mindset that the character model you choose in game must be a reflection of who's behind the keyboard.  Which is idiotic and naive, as that would rule out all of the fantastic races too. It's just not a very broad minded outlook to have. Keep in mind where these games came from, even if how they're approached in the mainstream has been whittled down to stat & treasure hunting. 

Role Playing Games, as they were in the beginning, were primarily about taking on the role of a different character - an elven warrior, an orc monk, a dwarven alchemist etc, and acting out that character ( usually with hilarious results). That was the primary focus and the source of the nights entertainment. Sure there were stats and loot, but they weren't as center stage as they are in computer gaming. People taking on peculiar roles has lead to some of the more interesting characters I've met as well, I wouldn't change it for anything.

It seems males playing as females only ever really upsets unbalanced and overly hormonal individuals that feel cheated when they find out that hot female avatar is controlled by a guy, because they assumed it was a female ...and that they were going to do it, naturally, and that in real life 'she' also had a cartoonish and unnaturally idealized figure.

Good. It's their own fault for not considering the wide variety of people they're sharing the internet with. I can't help but enjoy the scenario of some redneck mouth breather courting a female avatar only to become infuriated (and confused?) to discover it's just some guy enjoying role playing a female paladin character in a role playing game.

This subject has come up countless times on these forums over the last decade and has only proven that that, as always, there's a lot of different people on the internet.

• VrakorVrakor Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by nyxium
    I think someone's had an awkward moment discovering something they didn't want to know at a time when they were really enjoying themselves.

I bet that is how my guild leader felt in AoC, when he finally realised that the "female" entourage he was doing raids with were just common gender benders haha.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Personally (guy) I always toll male characters, I just like to identify myself with the characters I'm playing, I find it easier if they're the same sex. On my circle of friends I know several male friends that play female characters exclusively (I actually knew a VERY heavy role player that would go as far as to map his female char's menstrual cycle so that he could act crankier during her days) and others that play male or female depending on the character. In my very limited experience seems that there's an equal chance of a guy playing either male or female characters.

Out of the women I've met that play online I've only seen a couple of times them playing male chars, they (again, in my experience) seemed to be much more likely to play female chars exclusively.

Personally when playing and talking about characters I find myself subconciously avoiding using gender specific words (for example, using the name instead of "he" or "she"... much easier to do in english than in spanish) unless I know the actual gender of the player, and when I do use them, I use the gender of the char being played until I'm corrected otherwise.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• uknortherneruknortherner Member Posts: 16

I'm male and I roll both. I view MMOs as games with NPCs controlled by other players. I don't personally identify with my characters, and my characters are not in any shape or form a representation of me. Instead, I view them as playable characters in the vein of Lara Croft or Duke Nukem but in an online setting.

Likewise, I take every other character in game at face value. If I see a male or female character, I address them as such. I could not care less about the gender or sexual orientation of the players controlling those characters as they are irrelevant to me as a gamer.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Uh, both?  Wait...do you actually mean 'character' instead of 'toon'?

If I ever get back into a game that has actual roleplay happening somewhere, I'll let you know which I'm playing.

But my days of messing with nerd's sexuality hangups are over, pretty much.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Zefire

It's a game not life.You are free to play and create what ever u want.People having issues with female and male creations as their charachter in a game they have serious problems in real life as well.

Iam male and i always create a female character.Why?Because it's a game and i like sexy female characters instead of males.

So yeah if you have problems creating a female character in a game then something is wrong.

If you create one merely for the sexual attraction, then you are no better than people who can't keep eye contact while talking with a busty pretty female. Different things have their place and time and certain things are best left to nightclubs, the beach and your bedroom. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I play both, my main has always been male (except my main in SWTOR was female), one of the girls I game with helped me dress up my female toon in a couple games, lol. I know girls that play male toons, they sometimes get a kick out of how people talk to them when they're on male toons.

• jdreamjdream Member UncommonPosts: 80

I'm male and I roll only male toons every games I played if class lock for female only I just roll other class

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Acidon

My 2nd wife rolled male characters sometimes.  Just as I roll female characters sometimes.  For me it depends on the game, class, mood, etc.  

*shrug*

For me, it wasn't until I started 2 boxing in some games that I started to roll female characters...Kind of a partner for my male character type of thing I guess.....Also I think that is one of the reasons why so many people (well guys anyway) wanted to use voice chat, so they could tell who was male playing female and who was female.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

I'm a guy...but have played both. Depends on the race and class of my character.

I generally play Warrior/Rogue types as male. Cleric/Caster/Ranger types as female.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by Valkaern

This subject has come up countless times on these forums over the last decade and has only proven that that, as always, there's a lot of different people on the internet.

This is true. However, I reckon that the number of cross-gender players has steadily increased over the years.

In some of the first games I played (SWG, FFXI) players truly seemed a little shocked if the girl was a guy in real life. Nowadays, in a game like Tera there are probably more female avatars than male. Just my opinion but I feel the gross-gender playing has become more expected and therefore accepted.