Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like GW2 has peaked on Xfire AND Raptr?

smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
I noticed that there was an Xfire thread still going on in the SWTOR section. So either there's been a loosening up after the agressive locking down of all kinda Xfire threads everywhere last week, or the mmorpg.com mods are hypocrites and the arguments for closing Xfire threads were just excuses and double standards :-P

Now I'm betting that it's the first, a loosening up, but we'll find out automatically if it's the second reason.

Back to topic: GW2's player activity in various activity monitoring tools.

This is what I found so far:

Xfire

Aug 14 (Tue): WoW 11,220 players (48.4k hrs)

Aug 19: WoW 11,032 players (49.7k hrs)

Aug 26: GW2 10,488 players (79.6k hrs), WoW 11,222 players (48.9k hrs)

Sep 2: GW2 15,062 players (92.9k hrs), WoW 5,607 players (25k hrs)

Sep 9: GW2 14,091 players (79.4k hrs), WoW 5,675 players (25.4k hrs)

Sep 30: GW2 40.8k hrs, WoW 67.7k hrs (didn't find the player numbers, Xfire was being weird)

Oct 2 (Tue): GW2 7,914 players (28.7k hrs), WoW 9,473 players (52.1k hrs)

Raptr:

Aug 19-Aug 26: WoW 168k hrs

Aug 26-Sep 2: GW2 335.7k hrs, WoW 155k hrs

Sep 2-Sep 9: GW2 285.6k hrs, WoW 170k hrs

Sep 23-Sep 30: GW2 141.5k hrs, WoW 338k hrs

I didn't keep track of the server status, if anyone did or know a site where they kept track of it for GW2 servers across the days, feel free to post it here.

Yeah, I know that Xfire only measures Xfire players, that's why I put Raptr stats here too, so trends as well as differences across tools can be determined. To me, it looks like the trend has changed, in contrast to the early years when internet and the MMORPG genre were still growing, nowadays you'll see everyone flocking to a new MMORPG right at launch instead of over the years and after a while a core playerbase remains.

A trivia: unfortunately and annoyingly enough you can't count ingame server population in GW2, but around Aug 26 GW2 had 45 servers and a peak concurrent players figure of 400k players, which means a 9k concurrent players average per server (Rift had a player cap of 2k per server)

I'll add in more stats if I find more.

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I never used Xfire, my whole guild doesnt use Xfire or raptr > so what are you trying to say with this ?
    At what population is this date taken from ?

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Never heard of raptr, don't use xfire. :P
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I never used Xfire, my whole guild doesnt use Xfire or raptr > so what are you trying to say with this ?

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

What you don't see or use obviously don't exist?

Sample size of either of these programs is extremely large and fairly accurately represents the gaming population.

REALITY CHECK

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

At what population is this date taken from ? MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 millionWhat does it say ?Nada niente nothing.keep trying tough.

I'm merely presenting the information, what people glean from it is up to themselves :-) My own opinion about tools like that is somewhere in the middle, yes, trends can be determined from tools like that if their limitations are taken into account, and no, what you can determine of such tools is limited. Also, the more ways you have of measuring, the better the useful information you can obtain from them.

Will knowing the stats have any influence on your actual gaming experience? Don't think so, but then again, the same applies to most of the forum surfing.

So, there aren't any sites at all that keep track of the GW2 servers status? Or don't they change during the day according to ingame population? (I usually just click through, so I haven't been paying attention to them)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

You don't believe that do you?

What's the source for the 2.6? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

What a way to skew the numbers . Your MoP numbers don't include digital sales and GW2 has been out for over twice as long. GG

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by smh_alot
    Xfire

I am surprised the MOP Player # is less than Aug 14

isnt an expansion supposed to boost players that were taking a break ?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Thillian

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

Sample size of either of these programs is extremely large and fairly accurately represents the gaming population.

Actually - WHAT IS the gaming population of either program? Unless one of those programs is installed by default when you install a game - you never will get accurate numbers. Why? STATISTICS my friend. What % of GW2 palyers use either program? Unless you know that you may as well stick your head in the sand because random numbers will be as accurate as the numbers from Xfire or Raptr.

Nice try - move on.

Originally posted by Nadia

Xfire

Strange indeed considering playtime tripled from end of xpac to pandas. Panda patch was on the aug. 25th i think. I wonder what else could have caused the early bump.

I'm still can't get passes why GW2 has such a disportionately high number of players compared to other games. It makes seems like the players play a disportionately low amount of time. 

Xfire

Yes, that's what I noticed too. I can only conclude that apparently GW2's launch and presence has had an effect on WoW's (US+EU) player population, bc the numbers are not that much surpassing what was there before. However, that's in Xfire. This is 1 of the differences between the 2 tools, because in Raptr it almost seems that GW2's launch didn't have that much effect at all on the number of gameplay hours of WoW players.

And where as in Xfire, the increase of WoW gameplay hrs with MoP launch is only 30-35% compared to mid-August, in Raptr you see almost a doubling of the WoW gameplay hours.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Xfire

So according to XFire, MoP drove about 15% of the pre-existing WoW players away and the remaining binge-played there at the beginning.

Hey, XFire numbers never lie, right? MoP is killing WoW.

In all seriousness, this demonstrates how XFire is an inaccurate representation of what's really going on.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Yeah, I know that Xfire only measures Xfire players, that's why I put Raptr stats here too, so trends as well as differences across tools can be determined. To me, it looks like the trend has changed, in contrast to the early years when internet and the MMORPG genre were still growing, nowadays you'll see everyone flocking to a new MMORPG right at launch instead of over the years and after a while a core playerbase remains.

That trend change happened about six years ago, heavily driven by the pre-order extras and the increased support of pre-ordering by Gamestop, EBGames, Best Buy and other chains.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by botrytis

Actually - WHAT IS the gaming population of either program? Unless one of those programs is installed by default when you install a game - you never will get accurate numbers. Why? STATISTICS my friend. What % of GW2 palyers use either program? Unless you know that you may as well stick your head in the sand because random numbers will be as accurate as the numbers from Xfire or Raptr.

Oh how true this is.

xfire numbers will be relevant when someone can tell me what % of players in that particular game use xfire.

According to the poll on MMORPG.com, about 10% of GW2 players use xfire.

But again, that means nothing as we don't know what % of GW2 players visit MMORPG.com and what % of those visitors bothered to vote in the poll.

"I've never trusted xfire, and I never will. I never will forgive them for the death of my boy..." lol

Xfire

Yes, that's what I noticed too. I can only conclude that apparently GW2's launch and presence has had an effect on WoW's (US+EU) player population, bc the numbers are not that much surpassing what was there before. However, that's in Xfire. This is 1 of the differences between the 2 tools, because in Raptr it almost seems that GW2's launch didn't have that much effect at all on the number of gameplay hours of WoW players.

And where as in Xfire, the increase of WoW gameplay hrs with MoP launch is only 30-35% compared to mid-August, in Raptr you see almost a doubling of the WoW gameplay hours.

something may be wrong with OPs numbers. It just doesn't make sense that on sept. 2 WoW was at 20k hours and now it's 60k, but with less players according to OPs numbers. Idk I'm just not sure what could have caused such a early bump for WoW. 

My apologies op. That 11k player number is just odd.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

Nice try - move on.

Statistics, you probably never heared about voting estimates made on sample size of a 1000 people. Xfire sample size is one thousand times larger than estimates you see on the TV. That is not the correct question what you're asking, however, the correct question is, why would guild wars players be more or less inclined to use Xfire than other players. The answer is, there might be a very small difference, but not significant enough to make the data invalid.

If 1.2% of GW2 players use xfire, and only 1.1% of WoW players, the margin of error would be very small and if you believe that the difference is much more significant then you kinda have to give a reasonable explanation for that. WoW and GW2 and Rift and Lotro etc. players are belonging to very similar market segment and are regularly migrating between these games, so the chance they use xfire in the same proportion is extremely high.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by BadSpock

Oh how true this is.

xfire numbers will be relevant when someone can tell me what % of players in that particular game use xfire.

According to the poll on MMORPG.com, about 10% of GW2 players use xfire.

But again, that means nothing as we don't know what % of GW2 players visit MMORPG.com and what % of those visitors bothered to vote in the poll.

"I've never trusted xfire, and I never will. I never will forgive them for the death of my boy..." lol

? Come on, people... we KNOW how many people bought GW2, we know what the PCU (peak concurrent players) was for a certain day end of August, and we know the number of GW2 Xfire players around that time.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Volkon

So according to XFire, MoP drove about 15% of the pre-existing WoW players away and the remaining binge-played there at the beginning.

Hey, XFire numbers never lie, right? MoP is killing WoW.

In all seriousness, this demonstrates how XFire is an inaccurate representation of what's really going on.

personally, i'm not sure what to make of xfire but the Xfire data trend shows:

half of  Xfire WOW players stopped playing the game when GW2 launched and not all of them returned when MOP came

it only decribes behaviour of Xfire players tho

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    The simple point is the number of xfire users on GW2 is so low compared to the total players on GW2, that a reasonable dissemination can't be made.  When around 3% of your total users are using xfire, you don't even have enough users to cover the error margin that these statistics require.  The validity of any information is  considered invalid in every measurable way.
    Originally posted by bcbully

something may be wrong with OPs numbers. It just doesn't make sense that on sept. 2 WoW was at 20k hours and now it's 60k, but with less players according to OPs numbers. Idk I'm just not sure what could have caused such a early bump for WoW.  My apologies op. That 11k player number is just odd.

I only wrote down what Xfire stated, I haven't really an explanation for how or why some data either. But the difference in what you mentioned may be the day: for Xfire almost all the days were Sundays, except when I specifically mention a Tuesday. Usually, the amount of gameplay hours during the weekdays is less than for a Sunday or Saturday. From what I could see for WoW, up till Aug 26th, the number of players and gameplay hours was high, after that it fell from an 11k to half, only to recover now after MoP. But this is in Xfire. In Raptr I simply don't see such drastic changes for WoW, only when MoP launched.

Originally posted by sumdumguy1

The simple point is the number of xfire users on GW2 is so low compared to the total players on GW2, that a reasonable dissemination can't be made. When around 3% of your total users are using xfire, you don't even have enough users to cover the error margin that these statistics require. The validity of any information is considered invalid in every measurable way.

? It doesn't work like that, not 1 single research that uses samples works like that, often far, far smaller samples are being used. As long as it is representative enough , the size of a sample doesn't matter. That's why it's also good to compare the data from several measuring means.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

That trend change happened about six years ago, heavily driven by the pre-order extras and the increased support of pre-ordering by Gamestop, EBGames, Best Buy and other chains.

It doesn't help that  the games (SWTOR, GW2, TERA, AOC, Aion, Rift......) have no staying power. None of the newer games seem to keep players entertained beyond the initial month or so.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

The only thing I can say that it actually amazes me that any of this is still talked about, or ever for that matter. If you like the game, play it , or vice versa. Apparently everyone suddenly owns stock in these companies.......my game is better than your game because it has more people......my dad can beat up your dad.......seriously folks???? That's exactly what this is....

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

MoP sales 700k
    GW2 sales 2.6 million

What does it say ?

Nada niente nothing.

keep trying tough.

it's terribly inaccurate.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It doesn't help that  the games (SWTOR, GW2, TERA, AOC, Aion, Rift......) have no staying power. None of the newer games seem to keep players entertained beyond the initial month or so.

Sadly I don't think any game has "staying power", they are all treated like console games now. The genre really hasn't changed, much like every other genre. An mmo is an mmo, sandbox or thempark. There are so many options now that everyone just grabs the next big thing and rushes through and moves onto the next mmo. MMO's may never see the "innovation" that changes the genre, perhaps we just need a new genre. When there were very few options, people came into an mmo and found a home, now companies churn these things out at such a rapid pace to get there piece of the grab bag. I'm sure programmers and designers have huge dreams and want to share their world with you, but they will never realize those dreams when fast cash is all investors are looking for.

Originally posted by Entris38

The only thing I can say that it actually amazes me that any of this is still talked about, or ever for that matter. If you like the game, play it , or vice versa. Apparently everyone suddenly owns stock in these companies.......my game is better than your game because it has more people......my dad can beat up your dad.......seriously folks???? That's exactly what this is.... 

It's the same as those stats of sports players, basketball players, baseball players etc. Why are they being discussed, or why are they even being kept track by fans? Do they influence your enjoyment while you actually watch the game? Maybe, but most often not at all. Still, for a number of sports fans those scoring stats of major league players are still something they're interested in.
    Originally posted by bcbully

something may be wrong with OPs numbers. It just doesn't make sense that on sept. 2 WoW was at 20k hours and now it's 60k, but with less players according to OPs numbers. Idk I'm just not sure what could have caused such a early bump for WoW. 

My apologies op. That 11k player number is just odd.

I only wrote down what Xfire stated, I haven't really an explanation for how or why some data either. But the difference in what you mentioned may be the day: for Xfire almost all the days were Sundays, except when I specifically mention a Tuesday. Usually, the amount of gameplay hours during the weekdays is less than for a Sunday or Saturday. From what I could see for WoW, up till Aug 26th, the number of players and gameplay hours was high, after that it fell from an 11k to half, only to recover now after MoP. But this is in Xfire. In Raptr I simply don't see such drastic changes for WoW, only when MoP launched.

Ok the sunday to tuesday thing maybe be something. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.