Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

First person MMORPGS, what do you think of the concept?

13

Comments

  • RaysheRayshe London, ONPosts: 1,284Member
    There was another that was a shooter, i cannot for the life of me remember what is was now though.

    Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member
    Originally posted by strangewizard

    Most MMORPGs are designed in third person or a tactical birds eye view. What about a first person MMORPG? Personally, I never understood why they are not done in first person. First person games are the most immersive, and MMORPGs are the most immersive genre, so naturally, a first-person MMORPG would be very immersive, indeed.

    What would you think of a MMORPG designed this way? It would show your character's weapons like a first person game, and likely also have real-time combat like an FPS, however, it would still be about leveling up, exploring, doing quests, etc, like an RPG

    Hate it but then again I hate isometric (top down view) as well.  I could handle it in doses such as tactical ranged (as in DayZ or Darkfall) but any MMO I play msut be predominatly 3rd person.

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

  • evolver1972evolver1972 Port Orchard, WAPosts: 1,118Member
    Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

    People would complain that they actually have to pay attention and show some skill other than button mashing, and the 1st person view could very well lead to some twitch based combat that could drive away a large chunk of an audience.

     

    I personally wouldn't mind.

    The only problem that I'd have is that I really like to see my char and how he awesome he looks in that new suit of armor.

    With 1st person, you'd spent most of the time staring at your gloves and weapons and not much else of your char.

    I agree here.

     

    I think it could work, but you'd have to have a way you could see your character at some point so you could make sure you looked good!

     

    It would take some getting used to, though, as your view of things around you, and especially behind you, would be very limited.

    image

    You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

    Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

  • futnatusfutnatus SomeplacePosts: 193Member

    I never got the First Person v Third person thing.

    Can't we just have both?  Press a button and camera view angles are altered?  It can't be that hard can it...?  There can be nothing you need to sacrifice for this, I'm sure.

  • evolver1972evolver1972 Port Orchard, WAPosts: 1,118Member
    Originally posted by futnatus

    I never got the First Person v Third person thing.

    Can't we just have both?  Press a button and camera view angles are altered?  It can't be that hard can it...?  There can be nothing you need to sacrifice for this, I'm sure.

    I agree that we should be able to have both.  Unfortunately many MMOs don't offer that as an option.  Some are close as totally zoomed in is just in front of your character, but that makes for wierd gameplay.  At least let me see my hands!

    image

    You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

    Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

  • Torrent41Torrent41 BirminghamPosts: 14Member

    What many people don't recognise is that players will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance, in terms of efficiency. First person is certainly more immersive, but if you offer a third person view which provides a better overview of what's going on, players will flock to it even if it makes the game less immersive. Players are always subconsciously thinking in terms of efficiency. It's important to remember that when you say "can't we just offer both first and third person views?".

    Applying the above, it's important to focus on one viewpoint and make sure that it complements the game. No one viewpoint is always the 'best', it depends completely on the focus of the game. The reason you don't see many first person MMORPGs is because it can make combat (especially PvP; because people are always running around you) feel tunnel-visionish, awkward, and difficult to balance. Everquest was initially first person and I think that was one of the contributing factors to its heavily addictive gameplay. In an explorative, quest-focused virtual world with little to no focus on PvP, first person seems more fitting. For more engaging, balanced, and skillful combat in both PvE and PvP (the kind that you see in WoW), third person is probably better. First person is simply more niche and fits fewer games, you'll see it crop up now and again though.

  • immodiumimmodium ManchesterPosts: 1,578Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torrent41

    What many people don't recognise is that players will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance, in terms of efficiency. First person is certainly more immersive, but if you offer a third person view which provides a better overview of what's going on, players will flock to it even if it makes the game less immersive. Players are always subconsciously thinking in terms of efficiency. It's important to remember that when you say "can't we just offer both first and third person views?".

    Applying the above, it's important to focus on one viewpoint and make sure that it complements the game. No one viewpoint is always the 'best', it depends completely on the focus of the game. The reason you don't see many first person MMORPGs is because it can make combat (especially PvP; because people are always running around you) feel tunnel-visionish, awkward, and difficult to balance. Everquest was initially first person and I think that was one of the contributing factors to its heavily addictive gameplay. In an explorative, quest-focused virtual world with little to no focus on PvP, first person seems more fitting. For more engaging, balanced, and skillful combat in both PvE and PvP (the kind that you see in WoW), third person is probably better. First person is simply more niche and fits fewer games, you'll see it crop up now and again though.

    I find that odd as most, if not all of my best PvP experiences have been with FPS (coming from a FPS background, not RPG). Coming from FPS to third person, I have found combat to become easier. As people have said you have a giant tactical advantage than someone who is in FPS mode.

    I prefer FPS, I'm biased as I was brought up on FPS games. I do enjoy third person though as I can relax alot more when playing.

    image
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Stevens Point, WIPosts: 392Member Uncommon

    I would welcome a first person MMORPG with open arms. There was just something about the first person view that was better for the virtual world feeling than what 3rd person can offer. Something about actually being face to face with the players you were partying with and having a first person view in the world made you feel a part of it. I play and enjoy a few of the 3rd person MMOs and other games that have come out, but they just seem to fall short a bit.

    Still holding out hope for EQN since from every report I've heard from them they want to get back to the old school roots that MMOs were built on originally.

    Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

    Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon

    I agree 100% that a first person view can be more immersive and should be an option in an MMORPG.  Exclusively? ehhh, no because there are times that a third person view is nice to have and a lot of people like third person.  I will say that the first person view should be a realistic first person view that bobs and sways like real life.  Maybe that would be an option too for those with motion sickness.

     

    It's hard for me personally because other than a better view of the field, third person also allows you to appreciate the gear you've attained and to be honest there's a small part of me that is vain like that.  As I'm going on nine years of MMO gaming though if done right I'd like to really try the first person perspective.  I may try it on EQ2 tonight especially since the NPCs talk to you mouths all a flappin'.

  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member
    Originally posted by Aelious

    I agree 100% that a first person view can be more immersive and should be an option in an MMORPG.  Exclusively? ehhh, no because there are times that a third person view is nice to have and a lot of people like third person.  I will say that the first person view should be a realistic first person view that bobs and sways like real life.  Maybe that would be an option too for those with motion sickness.

     

    It's hard for me personally because other than a better view of the field, third person also allows you to appreciate the gear you've attained and to be honest there's a small part of me that is vain like that.  As I'm going on nine years of MMO gaming though if done right I'd like to really try the first person perspective.  I may try it on EQ2 tonight especially since the NPCs talk to you mouths all a flappin'.

    The reason having it as an option does nothing is because of the advantages of third person.

     

    I play in third person and zoom it out as far as it will go, the reason is it gives me more view of what is coming up from behind and beside me giving me an actual advantage in the game.

     

    It also allows you to see over objects, further in front etc. You can see that a boss is up on top of the hill you're climbing even though you'd never see him in first person.

     

    Having a game be only first person means no one can get the advantage of going third person.

  • DeivosDeivos Mountain View, CAPosts: 1,767Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by strangewizard

    For such a game to work, I'd also have collision with mobs and players, to prevent walking through them (and adding nudging to prevent people from blocking areas, yes there's no perfect solution to it, but nudging would work decently enough).

    Just do what Ryzom did.

     

    They had player collision, but if you continued to push against another player blocking your way you would 'push past' themafter a brief moment. Didn't need to move the other player, but that enabled a fair enough balance between having decent collicion and interaction in combat as players and NPCs will stil bounce off one another, but it prevents players from trolling one another with the collision.

     

    EDIT: As for the topic of first person. I would cite Firefall. They have first and third person and I tend to play the game largely in first.

     

    The problem with first person in traditional MMOs is they have no support, no visual input or feedback on what your character is doing and the UI is not designed to support it.

     

    Newer MMOs would have to be designed with more minimalist UI that can get the point across clearly on the most necessary basic information about your character as well as give enough of your player model to show exactly what you are doing as far as abilities and combat/interaction is involved.

     

    I can accept too that when there is a third person view, people will tend to opt for it because of increased field of view. Like I mentioned with Firefall however, I can sacrifice that field of view when it fits the situation better. Perhaps it's jsut me, I am not someone that's obsessive-compulsive about having the absolute best things for any given situation. I prefer a generalist balance to overcome.

     

    You have to more or less provide an equal degree of value to first and third person. For the average player that's a bit hard to do as they will just want what's easiest to serve them.

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners."
    - Thomas B. Macaulay

  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Stow, OHPosts: 1,214Member
    There are already many MMORPG's that you can do 1st person in if you want. Just mouse wheel in and go. EQ, AoC, Vanguard: SoH...to name a few.
  • DeivosDeivos Mountain View, CAPosts: 1,767Member Uncommon

    I guess to clarify upon my previous post, a few solutions would be these.

     

    First and foremost is short range radar essentially. If an enemy or ally is within a certain distance they will tend to have an icon over their head unless you are properly ignorant of their presence.

     

    Perhaps instead of a static icon it could be a visual/audio ping noting something is there.

     

    Or maybe one can outright mask things that are not in line of sight to the character. They just exist ad fussy spots until your character can properly see them.

     

    Along that same line there's the Splinter Cell concept. When you see an enemy in first or third, it's still based on line of sight. When you lose sight ofn an enemy it may track it briefly, but unless you can hear it or have an alternate means to track, it will render only it's last known location until it enters line of sight again.

     

    I'm personally disfavorable towards anything that intentionally drtracts from one system, likt the line of sight limitations, to favor balance, but I figured I would list them any ways. I'm sure there's other means one could strike a blannce too these are just a few examples. :p

     

    EDIT: I would also cite Mount & Blade for a game with first and third person, but is largely played in first.

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners."
    - Thomas B. Macaulay

  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by Aelious

    I agree 100% that a first person view can be more immersive and should be an option in an MMORPG.  Exclusively? ehhh, no because there are times that a third person view is nice to have and a lot of people like third person.  I will say that the first person view should be a realistic first person view that bobs and sways like real life.  Maybe that would be an option too for those with motion sickness.

     

    It's hard for me personally because other than a better view of the field, third person also allows you to appreciate the gear you've attained and to be honest there's a small part of me that is vain like that.  As I'm going on nine years of MMO gaming though if done right I'd like to really try the first person perspective.  I may try it on EQ2 tonight especially since the NPCs talk to you mouths all a flappin'.

    The reason having it as an option does nothing is because of the advantages of third person.

     

    I play in third person and zoom it out as far as it will go, the reason is it gives me more view of what is coming up from behind and beside me giving me an actual advantage in the game.

     

    It also allows you to see over objects, further in front etc. You can see that a boss is up on top of the hill you're climbing even though you'd never see him in first person.

     

    Having a game be only first person means no one can get the advantage of going third person.

     

    If you're talking about PvP then you're right about an unfair advantage and I wouldn't like the idea of a first person locked MMO.  Mortal Online already does this though the quality doesn't seem to be there.  As stated in my quote for me it would be about immersion.  Simple as that and the added restrictions that come along with the view may just make it more of a challenge which I wouldn't be opposed to.

  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by strangewizard

    Most MMORPGs are designed in third person or a tactical birds eye view. What about a first person MMORPG? Personally, I never understood why they are not done in first person. First person games are the most immersive, and MMORPGs are the most immersive genre, so naturally, a first-person MMORPG would be very immersive, indeed.

    What would you think of a MMORPG designed this way? It would show your character's weapons like a first person game, and likely also have real-time combat like an FPS, however, it would still be about leveling up, exploring, doing quests, etc, like an RPG

    Actually .. I do not find nothing "immersive" in 1st person. Not to mention nearly impossible to play. In real gameplay, you can have 10 enemies around or in all directions ... how would you control situation in 1st person I do not have slightest idea. Ok, have seen cooperative simple shooters .. but that is far from raid or real multiplayer questing. 

    But, hey, I have no problem if some company would like to make such game. I actually think Planetside 2 will be 1st person only? Not sure. Anyway ... have no problem with such games, only company can not count on my money under any circumstances.

  • DeivosDeivos Mountain View, CAPosts: 1,767Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by daltanious

    Actually .. I do not find nothing "immersive" in 1st person. Not to mention nearly impossible to play. In real gameplay, you can have 10 enemies around or in all directions ... how would you control situation in 1st person I do not have slightest idea. Ok, have seen cooperative simple shooters .. but that is far from raid or real multiplayer questing. 

    But, hey, I have no problem if some company would like to make such game. I actually think Planetside 2 will be 1st person only? Not sure. Anyway ... have no problem with such games, only company can not count on my money under any circumstances.

    Crowd control, ever play Mount & Blade?

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners."
    - Thomas B. Macaulay

  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Phoenix, AZPosts: 2,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by strangewizard

    Most MMORPGs are designed in third person or a tactical birds eye view. What about a first person MMORPG? Personally, I never understood why they are not done in first person. First person games are the most immersive, and MMORPGs are the most immersive genre, so naturally, a first-person MMORPG would be very immersive, indeed.

    What would you think of a MMORPG designed this way? It would show your character's weapons like a first person game, and likely also have real-time combat like an FPS, however, it would still be about leveling up, exploring, doing quests, etc, like an RPG

    Actually .. I do not find nothing "immersive" in 1st person. Not to mention nearly impossible to play. In real gameplay, you can have 10 enemies around or in all directions ... how would you control situation in 1st person I do not have slightest idea. Ok, have seen cooperative simple shooters .. but that is far from raid or real multiplayer questing. 

    But, hey, I have no problem if some company would like to make such game. I actually think Planetside 2 will be 1st person only? Not sure. Anyway ... have no problem with such games, only company can not count on my money under any circumstances.

    The same way you would do it IRL if you were up against multiple foes. Move & look around, be aware of where people are in relation to you and eachother and what theyre doing instead of just standing still facing one direction expecting them to only come at you from the front.

    If you were walking along and 2 guys jumped out to mug you, 1 in front 1 behind, would you just stand there looking at 1 of them and completely ignore the guy coming up behind you? No, you would likely try to position yourself to get both of them in your field of view or at the very least look back and forth repeatedly to prepare to protect yourself against the incoming attack.

    Just look at Darkfall as an example. You NEVER want to get hit from behind. So if a couple of players try to jump you, you move around as best you can to try and keep both of them in front of you. Especially if youre using a bow or spells since theyre in 1st person, but even the melee in DF has a limited FoV so it is still much better to keep them in front when possible.

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

    First person could work. As long as it makes sense with the combat. Controls will be very important though. If wasd movement is required with mouselook, then a lot of MMO players won't be able to play this. Especially if combat is also twitchbased. Personally though, I would really like it.

    And you need a way to look at the front of your toon, so that there is still a reason to get good looking gear.

  • SlickShoesSlickShoes EdinburghPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

    I resent the suggestion that everyone that prefers 3rd person wants to look round corners and are some sort of bad players.

    I started gaming playing games that were in 3rd person view that were very tactical and took real skill just as much as an FPS would.

    I personally feel more immersed in 3rd person, in most games in first person all I can see is my hands floating in front of me (why?) and I have no legs. In real life I can see my nose, my torso, my shoulders, my legs, my feet, my clothes, I have peripheral vision and surround sound hearing! Playing in FPS games I feel like a floating gun and hands and totally disconnected from everything. Skyrim was OK at first person view but mostly because there 3rd person view was so clunky and horrible first person was the only way to play it.

    Until stuff like fully directional sounds, 3 monitor set ups and Track IR headgear becomes the complete norm I would much perfer to stick with 3rd person.

    image
  • loulakiloulaki PatrasPosts: 918Member
    i want to see every milisecond of my gametime, my characters progression, and the best way its through kewl armors, first person view doesnt help that purpose .

    image

  • BrotherDBrotherD AlbertslundPosts: 52Member
    Sure. The more variation, the more to choose from.

    Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

  • Heinz130Heinz130 sao pauloPosts: 227Member

    I dont care about theorycraft,i just dont like FP has mmorpg

     

    Otherwise,companys can make a nice mix of both 1st 3rd pw,i loved the way they did on FireFall,i stoped to play it just becouse the bunny-jumps fest chaotic pvp

    WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

  • TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,745Member Uncommon
         For immersion, I prefer first person view....The problem I have encountered though is that the field of view doesn't feel quite like it does with our vision (ie the peripheral vision is off)......Usually I prefer that the game has a camera that I can float in and out and play as the situation warrants.
  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

    I resent the suggestion that everyone that prefers 3rd person wants to look round corners and are some sort of bad players.

    I started gaming playing games that were in 3rd person view that were very tactical and took real skill just as much as an FPS would.

    I personally feel more immersed in 3rd person, in most games in first person all I can see is my hands floating in front of me (why?) and I have no legs. In real life I can see my nose, my torso, my shoulders, my legs, my feet, my clothes, I have peripheral vision and surround sound hearing! Playing in FPS games I feel like a floating gun and hands and totally disconnected from everything. Skyrim was OK at first person view but mostly because there 3rd person view was so clunky and horrible first person was the only way to play it.

    Until stuff like fully directional sounds, 3 monitor set ups and Track IR headgear becomes the complete norm I would much perfer to stick with 3rd person.

    Forgot also to ad this to my post. :-) Is very NON immersive seeing only my fists or tip of a staff. Tried on rare ocasions, never liked it. Even when racing I usually prefer view from above car.

    As I said would have nothing against if some company actually create some 1st person mmo. Sure they would get enough clients, but I for sure would not be among them. Actually my FIRST checkup when buying any game (in past as now) is if its in 3rd. If it is 1st, red alert is automatically called. :-)

  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Catskills, NYPosts: 1,832Member

    I pretty much ALWAYS play in 1st person view. If an MMO doesn't support it as an option, it generaly gets crossed off my list. I'm an exception as far as MMO players though.

    I believe most people prefer 3rd person because it provides a better field of veiw for melee combat. 1st person makes it more difficult (though probably more realistic) for them to maintain situational awareness of what's going on around them.

    Note that you could partialy mitigate by creating keys that gave a player a quick .. "head turn" ...to see what was going on to thier right and left flanks without actualy changing the facing of thier characters.

Sign In or Register to comment.