Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: Is FFXIV: A Realm Reborn a Dark Horse?

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar winifrede, WVPosts: 609Member
    Originally posted by guin10

I can't wait. I watched the gameplay video and the game looks amazing. Gridania/Black Shroud  is completely different.  

And one question: 

Why FF XIV: A Realm Reborn doesn't have its own board?

Darkfall: Unholy Wars was announced last month and already has its own board here.

FF XIV: A Realm Reborn (aka FF XIV 2.0) was announced in 2011 and.... I don't see anything.

The problem is no one ever complained about how amazing FF14 looked. Graphics had nothing to do with the games failures.  

The question you asked. It's because people actually liked Darkfall.

goozmania writes:

I started rolling my eyes when you mentioned subscription models being bad, then again when you said quest hubs don't work.

Even though this article is supposed to be about FFXIV, anyone who's frequented this website can see it's really more of a GW2 fanboy post.

Yes because FF14 is doing so well. They say this about everygame on this site. They think everything should be free. They even used it to justify how horrible SWtoR was doing. It doesn't have anything to do with GW2 regardless how jelous you are of that game.

I think they are still heading in the wrong direction. I loved FF up to 10 when it was horrible and missing half of the content most FF games had up until then. FF12 tried to bring it back but lost their way with 13+. 

I've been reading up on it and it makes me sad everytime. They said they were adding new races but all they did was use high res versions of FF11 and then doubled them by making them black. They said they were doing new graphics then did a press release saying the reason for it is because the version of crystal tolls wouldn't work on the ps3 port. They said they were adding jump and removing boundries but the corridors are still locked into place. I'm hoping they make A FF15 and return to their old ways before they decided to ruin the series. 

• SilokSilok Mascouche, QCPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by loeslein

I payed 70 bucks for this crap the first time around, I won't touch it unless I don't have to pay another up-front fee and I get at least a free week.

I remember my second day playing, a quest sent me on some pointless run though the map in a maze like canyon with mobs so high a level and so weirdly spaced that the quest was impossible.

Oh and the economy lol...

sigh...  I will be checking my e-mail for an invite from SE.  If I don't get one y'all have a great time!

This is what you can read on the New FINAL FANTASY XIV Outline file.

September to October 2012 –Begin distribution of version 2.0 software for PC
    -Begin distribution of PlayStation®3 system beta version

?October to November 2012 –Reinstate limited free trial period for PC version
    -Commence PlayStation®3 system closed beta test

?Post-January 2013 –Version 2.0 client (PC and PlayStation®3 system) goes on sale
    -Free trial period ends

so i guest we will have a free trial.

• rwyanrwyan raleigh, NCPosts: 461Member

The one thing FF14 had going for it was its sandboxy nature.  You had the economy driven completely by players.  You had an interesting hybrid class/skill based advancement system.  You had a large world.  You had open world dungeons.  Other than some "main scenario" quests, player's weren't told where to go and how to enjoy the game.

Sounds great on paper.  And for a LONG time, I was able to look past a lot of the issues and enjoy the game.  Simply put, the game was bogged down with so many issues and it felt very much like a work in progress.  For the most part, things worked, but the entirety of the game didn't gel together.

The current dev team has made huge in-roads into making a fun, engaging game.  However, their direction does point to a "WoW" model.  I do believe FF:ARR will be great for what it is.  However, I do fear that its "sandbox" roots will slowly dissappear.

• drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,253Member Uncommon
    Glad to see people looking foward to this. I was in at the begining, quit, came back liked what i saw and stayed on. Just had to say that we dont know what all will be implemented. However,   two things that are definitley innovative are crafting and gathering classes that take part in content (Hamlet Defence), and possibly some of the new dungens in 2.0. Plus, in 2.0,  there will be roaming  primals like Ifrit, Garuda, Leviathan that appear randomly. Guilds (Free Companies) will be able to fight them and, if they beat them, will have 2 weeks in which to summon them and use them as a "I win" button. This includes PvP as well as PvE. I'd say those are definitely innovative. 

• VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,647Member Uncommon
    I'm on board for the relaunch. I will have achieved pretty much all of my personal PvE GW2 goals by the time it gets here and that game will step back for this to be my 'A' game. GW2 is many things to me, and I am a fan, but I need quality group PvE content, which I am hoping this will deliver.
  • k11keeperk11keeper Kalama, WAPosts: 1,056Member Uncommon
    I'm hoping the turn around is a success. Open beta was garbage and launch had zero improvements. I logged on a few times during the free phase but haven't gone back since. If they do figure out how to turn it around I'd like to make the jump from ffxi. Been off and on that game since fall of 2003. Nine years of the same game just seems wrong to me lol.
  • zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

I remember trying out the game.

I also remember a mage giving me 25++++ levels from abusing 1 of the MANY bugs/exploits in the game that Square Enix didn't care about whatsoever..

Was just a mess and nobody cared/adressed anything..

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,538Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by adam_nox

FF11 was garbage at release, and I seriously doubt it turned out any better despite having a large enough japanese following to keep it afloat.

It turned out much better. It was a solid, stable game by the time it was released in the US. 10 years and 7 expansions later, they're releasing a brand-new expansion adding an entire new continent, new jobs, new storyline. FFXI has been a cash cow for SE.

It's still doing much better than most any other MMO that's been out as long as it has.

It amazes me how people continue to underestimate just how successful FFXI has been. How little they know about it.

Square just never understood the genre.  They tried to copy EQ with FF11 instead of making a game that was similar to FF5-10 like they could have.  They failed to innovate even when for them it would have been easy because they had a single player mold to work with.

They understood the genre just fine. For one, you have to remember that XI launched when EQ1 was still the reigning king of MMO scene, so for them to emulate it was entirely logical. Second, while "modern" MMOs were being released, following the WoW model (casual friendly, etc), and falling below 300k subscribers or lower inside their first year, FFXI maintained ~500,000 players upwards of 7 years into its service - despite "copying EQ" and "not understanding the genre" - as you put it.

Of course, to look at it another way - because the game isn't what you want or expect, it isn't indicative of SE "not understanding MMORPGs".  It's simply indicative of you not liking the game.

It's just not possible to completely change foundational concepts, which is what ff14 truly got wrong.

XIV had a lot of good ideas, just horrible implementation of them. We'll never know how well it could have turned out if they'd done things better. And hey, at least they tried something different, right? Isn't  that what so many MMO players claim to want? For a MMO developer to stop emulating every other popular MMO and do something different? Well, the risk of doing something different is that it might not work. In SE's case with XIV, it didn't. That's why they're (unfortunately) playing it a bit more "safe" with 2.0.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    I always wanted to play FFXI I think it still looks beautiful but its just too hardcore and grindy for me. FFXIV reborn I will look into.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon

Oh look, a completely CG trailer. That's totally the best way to show off a new and improved version of the thing people hated most, THE FRIGGIN GAMEPLAY.

Not that it wasn't pretty, SQE certainly knows how to make a nice cinematic. Honestly they should just stick to making movies. WTB FFX version of Advent Children.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• alyosha17alyosha17 ergftmjhkPosts: 156Member

"all looks promising. Honestly, the game is looking pretty slick."

Lol..  Where have you been?

Everything SE are doing with FFXIV is archaic and an not even remotely innovative.  They intend to add a quest-based progression system into a game where you level multiple classes... in other words the quests will be mass-produced drivel which nobody will enjoy.

It's a recipe for disaster.

Besides adding shadows to the engine, theyve actually downgraded a lot of the textures.   The only redeeming features left are things which were introduced in the initial launch, such as the robust crafting system and detailed character models (which are also getting downgraded).

• daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,145Member Uncommon

I was one of those very disappointed. At least as much as I loved console incarnations.

But this video looks very very promising and I guess will for sure try. No matter how much mad i was about them, being sure will never ever return to SE.

For the sub I have no problems if game will be good. I'm big fan of sub model. :-)) I would never expect somebody working for free and only real way to get money back AND being motivated to invest more and more time and man power and hadrware is sub model. I hate actually cash shops as usually one pay more money for crappy game with "free" model than would get for full game with sub. But sure there are games not worth even playing, not free not sub. And there are those that could never exist as sub based, i.e. GW1. On the other side, GW2 is so far ONLY and unique suprise in high quality for P2P game. Ok, have cash shops, have spent there 30€ so far, ... but nothing that one would REALLY need. I only wonder how much man power and money will be they willing to invest after this money have been used and when people will have purchased all that was possible from shops.

• Rizon538Rizon538 QUINCY, ILPosts: 33Member
    Originally posted by loeslein

I payed 70 bucks for this crap the first time around, I won't touch it unless I don't have to pay another up-front fee and I get at least a free week.

I remember my second day playing, a quest sent me on some pointless run though the map in a maze like canyon with mobs so high a level and so weirdly spaced that the quest was impossible.

Oh and the economy lol...

sigh...  I will be checking my e-mail for an invite from SE.  If I don't get one y'all have a great time!

Square stated along time ago that as long as you have a character in the system, even if dormant, you will be able to download ARR free of charge. There is your invite.

• lotapartylotaparty taxila canttPosts: 514Member
    it is easier to make a new good game than wasting your money on already flawed game . 

• IllyssiaIllyssia LondonPosts: 1,524Member
    The problem is, Michael, FF online games are written by Japanese games designers for the Japanese gaming tastes. That means a game that can be hit or miss with Western players used to playing WoW. Undoubtedly XIV had a rock launch, but SE made the game F2P while they sorted the game out and relaunched a superior game. However, it isn't WoW or GW2, so many will still simply not get it. Is it time for an MMORPG re-review, yes it is. But if it is re-reviewed then it is important to get a reviewer this time who likes FF games, isn't put off by a non-Western mindset to the gaming at times, and plays the game solidly for 3-4 weeks to see what is actually going on.
  • RaralRaral Hoschton, GAPosts: 12Member
    Most likely they will not make their money back they may be able to get some people back i highly doudt this game will get it due even if they revamp the whole thing no mmo that crashed so bad has ever even with fixs been able to get past that post lunch fail. AoC is a good example lovely game but has never fully recovered from it failure at lunch
  • guin10guin10 CPosts: 21Member
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Oh look, a completely CG trailer. That's totally the best way to show off a new and improved version of the thing people hated most, THE FRIGGIN GAMEPLAY.

Not that it wasn't pretty, SQE certainly knows how to make a nice cinematic. Honestly they should just stick to making movies. WTB FFX version of Advent Children.

You're joking right? There are already gameplay videos on youtube.

• aaorenaaoren East Greenbush, NYPosts: 5Member

I started on this game back at pre-launch and play it for a bit after every update before returning to other titles. There really isn't anything posted above that isn't true. The game at release was a abject failure. Initially having to search through endless retainers, lack of mail system, extremely high delays in menu, NPC, and battle command interface, etc., etc. I also can't leave out the high system requirements that at the time of launch alienated a large portion of the potential fan base. To date, some of those items they have remedied and some are still a point of aggrevation.

While anyone who has played this game to this point has a right to be disappointed and highly skeptical, I would preach patience for the upcoming version. There has been enough progress to this point to have some guarded optimism that they can make this a game worthy of our time and more importantly money. The beta version will be here soon enough and we will get to make our own impressions from the work in progress. My particular concern for the relaunch isn't the aim of their goals for the features that they plan on implementing but more the timeline that they are holding to. I simply do not think they will have everything that would be necessary to make a "A" title completed by the intended launch timeframe.

One thing I hope that the development team and those making the financial decisions realize is that the MMO landscape has drastically changed in the past two years. At the FFXIV release, MMO options were increasing but still fairly limited where most options were subscription based. The market is now saturated and FTP is more prevalent than not. The FF brand name and PS3 availability will help get gamers in the door but the subscription system may lead many to choose other options.

• alyosha17alyosha17 ergftmjhkPosts: 156Member
    Originally posted by aaoren

One thing I hope that the development team and those making the financial decisions realize is that the MMO landscape has drastically changed in the past two years. At the FFXIV release, MMO options were increasing but still fairly limited where most options were subscription based. The market is now saturated and FTP is more prevalent than not. The FF brand name and PS3 availability will help get gamers in the door but the subscription system may lead many to choose other options.

The landscape has changed in terms of gameplay expectations, but subsciption games have not gone out of fashion.  Players are more than willing to pay for a good game.  There are millions and millions of subscription-payers in the MMO marketplace, and most people who can afford a computer to run FFXIV can commit the money to pay a monthly.

Subscription model is least of FFXIV's worries.

The problem with FFXIV will be, upon release, it will be hailed as another boring WoW clone.  Unimaginative.  Uninnovative.  etc.

Basically all the redeeming features of FFXIV will be the things it released with 2 years ago.  Version 2.0 will just bring some functionality to the gameplay, but otherwise do nothing remotely interesting/innovative.

What S.E. fail to realise is that it shouldn't take 2 years to make a UI and add some quest hubs.  And quiet frankly there are a lot of games released recently, and on the horizon, which have really shown consumers that they don't have to simply go around passively digesting these quest-grind MMOs, which is what Square have made a point of emphasising FFXIV will be, as though it's a good thing,

• SilokSilok Mascouche, QCPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by alyosha17
    Originally posted by aaoren

The landscape has changed in terms of gameplay expectations, but subsciption games have not gone out of fashion.  Players are more than willing to pay for a good game.  There are millions and millions of subscription-payers in the MMO marketplace, and most people who can afford a computer to run FFXIV can commit the money to pay a monthly.

Subscription model is least of FFXIV's worries.

The problem with FFXIV will be, upon release, it will be hailed as another boring WoW clone.  Unimaginative.  Uninnovative.  etc.

Basically all the redeeming features of FFXIV will be the things it released with 2 years ago.  Version 2.0 will just bring some functionality to the gameplay, but otherwise do nothing remotely interesting/innovative.

What S.E. fail to realise is that it shouldn't take 2 years to make a UI and add some quest hubs.  And quiet frankly there are a lot of games released recently, and on the horizon, which have really shown consumers that they don't have to simply go around passively digesting these quest-grind MMOs, which is what Square have made a point of emphasising FFXIV will be, as though it's a good thing,

It didnt take them 2 years to make a ui and hub quest. They rebuilt the game from scratch, this is a entirely new game. I even heard they use a new engine.

Now this is simple, some will stay with a closed mentality about this game and others will try it for what is it. A new game.

We will see the result.

• CyraelCyrael VA, USAPosts: 89Member Uncommon
    The gameplay model is old. I never intend to play a quest-hub based game again. I really wanted to see FFXIV succeed, but not by propping up outdated mechanics.
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,253Member Uncommon

Personally, I'm not too worried about the hub-based questing because they're still going to have leve quests and company leve quests, both of which they said they're adding to. They're additionally going to have all new storyline (via company missions), and a pretty bad ass one at that, if the current story is any indication.  They'll be keeping Hamlet defense, chocobo escort, plus all new dungeons along with the old ones, primals you can fight, capture, and summon in battle as a Free Company, and they've stated in interviews MULTIPLE TIMES that there is still more content they have yet to reveal.

To those talking about the graphical down grades, you fail to pay attention to or explain SE's reason for doing so. You see, the graphics engine they're using on 1.0 is a bit too taxing (not to mention backward as hell) for many players systems. Also, the game needed to be playable on PS3, as they are doing a launch on that system as well and there are a number of PS3 fans waiting for that.

As far as the crafting system being down graded, I'd say, to be more accurate, that they are stream-lining it so people that want the option to quickly craft have that option and those that want a more immersive crafting experience can utilize the mini-game that they're keeping. On top of that, those who use the mini-game will be able to craft HQ items, where as with the easy-button version it will not be possible.  

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Wolcott, NYPosts: 671Member Uncommon
    As  fan of Final Fantasy every fiber of my being wants to say "Yes it will be a great game reborn from the ashes like the pheonix rises to glory!", but like many posters I just am not sure they have done enough in this day and age of MMOs. I mean GW2 made many rethink what an MMO should be. Neverwinter is challenging the status quo. The Elder Scrolls Online will be another major contender in 2013. If FFXIV just puts a "Wow"esc appeal to their game it may not draw many back. SE has always done a great job with story telling and most FF fans will admit that is one major reason they play a FF game. I think they need to push the ideas on how to tell a story in an MMO setting that keeps the player active in the game. GW2 pushed the limits there and I believe Neverwinter and ES online will also. If FFXIV is to be noticed they need more than a revamped engine that plays like MMOs post WoW already do. They need something that jumps out at you. Most of what I have watched of the game play (including the 40min dev video) looks like other MMOs already out there.

• PresbytierPresbytier Phoenix, AZPosts: 424Member
    Originally posted by Cyrael
    The gameplay model is old. I never intend to play a quest-hub based game again. I really wanted to see FFXIV succeed, but not by propping up outdated mechanics.

There are no such thing as outdated mechanics; only preferences and tastes. I mean just because it uses quest hubs(which I really don't believe are going away; no matter what a GW2 player says) does not mean it will be bad. Now if quest hubs are an outdated mechanic then so is quest text since we can have audio, and don't forget that we should just make walking an outdated mechanic since we can just teleport.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,193Member Uncommon
    Can you fix a game that started out very broken?   It is rather hard to convince people you have fixed things enough to make the game enjoyable.  This is a classic example of why not to release a game before it is ready.  Too many other games out there to make it worthwhile giving them a second chance.