Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DR hitting the players

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Eh?

What is this DR of which you speak?

I play for around 8 hours every day, I get my daily done, then I go do whatever I feel like doing, for example: a couple of days ago I took an alt over to repeatedly kill Kol, as he was respawning before the event chain had finished, took that alt from level 40 to 46 just doing that one event chain repeatedly, and saw no DR at all.

In fact, I have not noticed any DR of any kind so far, and I have been playing pretty much every day since the headstart, XP, Karma, drops, all appear to be the same at the end of my play sessions as they were at the start of them.

It mostly kicks in for people speed running the same dungeons several times in a row or spend hours in the same place, but there was a bug that hit some people until the last patch where it kicked in way too soon for some players.

I havnt noticed either but some were unlucky and I can understand if they are annoyed.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's really annoying but understandable why it had to be done. It's not a game breaker for me as the game is already easy enough as it is and once you complete one event chain you can always go to another.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

The implementation of DR is causing a bit of a ruckus on the official forums, Mods are closing every thread created on the subject and no response from Anet either, some claiming that the DR is hitting them after 3 events and other claims after 20 mins to 1 hr.

What is DR system anyway...?

I don't notice nor really care about all of that DR or XP limiting stuffs because I am always having fun when I'm playing this game. You know.. just running around and killing things.. events.. story... event... gather resources when I feel like it.... craft something when I'm tired of fighting... do jumping puzzle when I'm bored of other stuffs... log off when I have enough of play time.. and that is usually 2 hours on average. Bottom line.... this DR thing didn't effect my play time much. I do feel you hardcore farmers tho.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Dr had not impacted myself, I spent 3 hours rotating between maybe 4 events and mob farming and no issues. The cost of DR is that you lose the ability to do 1 thing over and over again, the benefit is that you are prevented from doing the se thing over and over again (and maybe curb a little of the Botting)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Didn't even know this was in the game, but good, imo.

I never sit to the same area, always exploring and moving area to area, still only seen about 40-45% of the map, great game, imo at least :)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Some ppl are confusing things here I notice.

Diminishing returns should (!) only hit when you stay in place for a longer period of time. For example if you stay put in a location waiting for multiple triggers of the same event, while killing the same respawning mobs over and over. Or when you keep speedclearing the same route in an explorable dungeon.

If you are a player that just moves around from event to event to dungeon etc, DR should NEVER hit you. Even if you run a dungeon 3 times in a row, if you take a different route each time, DR should not hit.

This was not implemented correctly with the first patch, so players were randomly hit by nerfed rewards when doing an event/dungeon the first time  etc. With the last patch this should be fixed.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Cyrael
    I'm not sure I would even notice if I hit DR. When I'm playing I'm generally not paying attention to my level or the xp I'm receiving.

Same here. The first time I noticed XP was when I hit 80 last night, but that's because I hit 80 THREE TIMES last night. I guess the XP counter is just for show or something once you hit 80.

You gain one skill point each time you level past 80. Skill points can be used in the mystic forge for recipes and the legendary weapon.

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Seriuosly, instead of going on about bots and chinese thugs and countermeasures point the finger at A-Net.... For real now bots are one one thing for games but cmon people seriously teleporting bots  in a AAA $60 mmorpg ???? wtf this whole DR system was a terribad "oh S@#$" button pushed by Anet.

Yes WoW, AoC, Aion, SWTOR, however many other big name mmo's you can htink of suffer from botters and gold sellers but none of  them are like the bots in GW2... watching a guy zip teleport from spot to spot farming resources and mobs is plain crazy im dumbfounded how you can all turn a blind eye to the sheer scope of how badly this game is built is to allow that kind of botting.... imagine if in WoW's launch there were account hacking, gold selling bots that teleported all over the map taking everything.... the game wouldnt exist today.

In all honesty how can you overlook the unmissable fact that something is seriously wrong with all of this considering the ammount of stolen accounts and the abilities these bots have, this DR system was not in effect from day 1 , you cannot make excuses for them not expecting a popular game ..... they have totally screwed this one over.

Whats funny is im guessing that the universal trade broker and individual ore/wood/etc gathering was supposed to work against botters, seems the sheer materials etc needed to craft legendarys kinda screwed part of the plan and as far as individual nodes for crafting... could you make a better system for bots ? they dont have to fight anyone and can farm respawns 24/7 , this seems to me something that was vastly overlooked when the concept for that came around.

At the end of the day its 2012, to see such poor account security.... blaming it all on the players seems crazy as this would mean alot more than their GW2 account being in trouble, if all the people being hacked are idiots for using similar pw/email wouldnt you think that hackers would be going after their CC's, paypal and banks in large scales ? im sure som epeople are at fault but this is on too large a scale to blame on individuals in my eye.

Then theres the rampart bots and their in game ability , ive NEVER in a AAA monthly( hell not even in F2P games)  fee game seen a teleporting bot like these, let alone see them roam free for weeks on weeks with no ability from the company to stop them.... someone seriously messed up in the programming/operational side of this game at Anet and its them you should point the finger at. Seriously any other major gaming company would have at least hotfixed the teleporting by now or never released a game with such blatant security flaws and non existent anti hacking ability... its 2012 and one of the biggest game releases in years and this is what we get ????

In 2012 a $60 game with these problems is unacceptable, i dont care how many times you try and pass the buck to someone else,these problems and the fact that they can even occur in this scale  rests solely on Anets shoulders as one of the bigest F#$% ups ever seen .

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by aesperus

It only kicks in if you are farming the same mobs, or the same event, on the same map, repeatedly within a set amount of time.

The idea is to roam, and you can do pleanty of roaming in 30-45minutes. If you want to farm the same spot during your time, dungeons still aren't bad for that. Just gotta do them on explorable mode.

Good invention then.

I don't do events repeatedly anyway....more then 2 of the same and it feels like grinding. Grinding always makes me log out.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

The implementation of DR is causing a bit of a ruckus on the official forums, Mods are closing every thread created on the subject and no response from Anet either, some claiming that the DR is hitting them after 3 events and other claims after 20 mins to 1 hr.

A lot of assumption is that it was implemented to tackle botters, others feel its to stop players farming. Whatever the reason it isnt working, Botters don't care for Karma they want the gold.  Some players can't even play normally (normal in the sense they only play for a couple of hours per week) They are hit with DR on xp, karma and gold around the 1 hour mark.

I personally feel that Anet are dictating on how long I can play, the system doesnt work and only causes bad feeling.  SE implemented a similar thing with fatigue on FFXIV where xp was greatly reduced after a period of play time and was met with hostility towards this system, so why do some players feel Anet has done the right thing with their game?

Anets stance on not communicating with the players regarding this issue is making things worse imho, closing every thread on the subject isnt going to make the subject go away.  I don't have the enthusiasm to login anymore, not until they get rid of this DR system.  The game is built around having to farm hundreds of different items for legendries or exotics which are extremely hard to get, but now they want to make it even harder by having a DR system in place. Remember Colins manifesto? "I swung a sword, I swung a sword again", Yes Colin we will be swinging that sword until we retire for our pension the way you are taking the game right now.

this and guesting not being available are the only two things i think they seriously need to fix and immediately. First. They should know that Blizzard already tried something like DR and it's still in the game for blizzard, it's retarded and neither company should A: not even give you a time frame for the DR to go off showing you when you can go back in and B: make it account wide like i've heard some people say they did. I was shocked they pulled this stunt with their track record.

the second thing is, where is guesting? I bought the game for my husband last night and they still don't have it??? How hard is it to implement a right click option to port over to the world temporarily that a friend you have is in? Why is that weird when we can do that in overflow (multiple overflows) right now in party? 

I can invite him to party, i can make things for him or send him mail, I can invite him to my  guild that's not on his server, why the hell can't i join him in open world DE's? That is a promised feature....it's well past due they aren't having the constant crashing, can't login issues they were having a week ago......it's time Anet, it's time. As Dontain said in one of his videos, don't punish your players for being good at the game.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by Carnafex

The problem is that unless Anet has a full disclosure on the rules that come into play to invoke the DR/anti-bot code people will assume a run of crappy drops is being influenced by the code; when it may well be just bad luck.  Full disclosure is obviously counter-productive for influencing bots, so their best bet is to eliminate the code altogether.   Otherwise the continual whining will just get worse. 

This is exactly it. I love reading the "I played for 1 hour and was hit with DR!" Oh so you saw a big red siren and warning message go off to tell you that?

I wouldn't be surprised to read a lvl 5 only got 1 yellow ring for good loot so its obviously DR... stupid ANet!

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Rhianni32
    Originally posted by Carnafex

The problem is that unless Anet has a full disclosure on the rules that come into play to invoke the DR/anti-bot code people will assume a run of crappy drops is being influenced by the code; when it may well be just bad luck.  Full disclosure is obviously counter-productive for influencing bots, so their best bet is to eliminate the code altogether.   Otherwise the continual whining will just get worse. 

This is exactly it. I love reading the "I played for 1 hour and was hit with DR!" Oh so you saw a big red siren and warning message go off to tell you that?

I wouldn't be surprised to read a lvl 5 only got 1 yellow ring for good loot so its obviously DR... stupid ANet!

During the "we know it's bugged -ArenaNet" phase, people were getting "This content has been temporarily disabled" messages. Big red messages that said "This content has been temporarily disabled".

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Draftbeer
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot.

Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

I am a farmer, I did include map rotation, mob variety, even DEs.

Seems like the DR code just following me everywhere I go - my reward

is for dedication is decreased drop quality and quantity.

Even causal players can hit the DR cap after 30 minutes easily.

This is overkill and does not stop the bots in any way btw.

Sure, you are perfectly fine as long as you only play 29 minutes per day. /sarcasm

^^This^^

It does NOT stop the bots. All it does is irritated and inconveniance the players that are trying to play.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I played my 43 necro last night, and oddly enough I was hit by the DR, I was only getting 20 xp off everything and I was moving around Kessex Hills and Genderran Fields, so I see what the chatter is about, seems the Oct 1 patch did something.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by cahenderson
    Originally posted by Rhianni32 Originally posted by Carnafex The problem is that unless Anet has a full disclosure on the rules that come into play to invoke the DR/anti-bot code people will assume a run of crappy drops is being influenced by the code; when it may well be just bad luck.  Full disclosure is obviously counter-productive for influencing bots, so their best bet is to eliminate the code altogether.   Otherwise the continual whining will just get worse. 
    This is exactly it. I love reading the "I played for 1 hour and was hit with DR!" Oh so you saw a big red siren and warning message go off to tell you that? I wouldn't be surprised to read a lvl 5 only got 1 yellow ring for good loot so its obviously DR... stupid ANet!
    During the "we know it's bugged -ArenaNet" phase, people were getting "This content has been temporarily disabled" messages. Big red messages that said "This content has been temporarily disabled".

There's alot of that in Bloodtide Coasts, even some vendors were disabled.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Has anyone been affected by DR while using any of the buffs? I am curious if any of these buffs cancel out the DR altogether or if the buffs just reduce the overall effect of the DR.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot.

Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

I am a farmer, I did include map rotation, mob variety, even DEs.

Seems like the DR code just following me everywhere I go - my reward

is for dedication is decreased drop quality and quantity.

Even causal players can hit the DR cap after 30 minutes easily.

This is overkill and does not stop the bots in any way btw.

Sure, you are perfectly fine as long as you only play 29 minutes per day. /sarcasm

^^This^^

It does NOT stop the bots. All it does is irritated and inconveniance the players that are trying to play.

It reminds me of blizzards response to bots in D2.  Their methods basically turned off the legit players while the bots just had their scripts altered to account Blizzards methods.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Move to a different location, problem solved.

Does seem rather a 'first world problem', doesn't it?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Someone may have posted this already but I don't have time to read all these post but here is my 2cents:

With all the "boost" items in the CS I can't help but notice how the DR system works in their favor. It's like saying we'l give you "This much" on the house, but the rest you'll have to ask us for some help... For a price.

I don't mind it at all though, and I still enjoy the game.

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Well people weren'tdoing the game as intended. So AR reacted like most companies would. I think DR needs a big fat nerf though its still very wonky in how it works.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Go on and on for four paragraphs and you couldn't take the time to define what the frack DR is? 
  • ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Terranah
    Go on and on for four paragraphs and you couldn't take the time to define what the frack DR is? 

DR = Diminishing Returns.  For example, if a lvl 80 event in cursed shore rewards 378 Karma for Gold Status.  With Diminishing Returns, you get 302 karma after the first hit and it falls fast to like 19 karma at bottom?  Not sure what bottom is now with Oct 1 patch.  Basically, ArenaNet puts a cap or limit on how much karma you can make, before they have identified you as a botting player and taken punitive action against you.   

I'm just glad I farmed the last bit of Karma I needed last week because htis week I wouldn't be able to farm so fast and I'm glad i'm done heh.

Cheers

Edit:  Btw, forgot to mention, last week the Karma Cap before DR hit you was around 20K karma, then they changed it down to 10K karam.  With a 50% karma booster, I was easily having to relog every hour or less because of this.  Stinks they put such huge amount of karma you need to the armor then won't let you get it in a timely fashion.  Not sure how long the karma cap is now with the Oct 1 past.  my 2 cents.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

DR = Diminishing returns

Also, here is a link of AR explaining it a little: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/04/arenanet-offers-explanation-for-guild-wars-2s-diminishing-retur/

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

So much of this issue could be done away with simply by a word or two from A-net. Them *not* saying anything just makes it appear to the tinfoil hat loonies that they are hiding something. If it continues, it will soon appear to everyone that they are hiding something.

The worst thing a company can do when there is a problem with their product, either real or percieved, is to lock down communication about the issue and not say anything. It just makes them look guilty, or worse, incompetent. One paragraph on their forums saying "we know some of you are frustrated by this, we are taking steps to find a solution..." and so much of this conversation would be moot. It would at least buy them some time.

My problem with the DR, is that this game is and has been really advertised as a game of freedoms (albeit in a themepark setting). These measures really limit some people's freedoms to play how they want to. Now, I don't play hardcore enough at this point to hit the DR, at least I haven't noticed it yet, but I am still not thrilled with the idea behind it, and I have seen enough complaints to know that there are real, and legitimate problems with their implementation of it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Bynt

DR = Diminishing Returns.  For example, if a lvl 80 event in cursed shore rewards 378 Karma for Gold Status.  With Diminishing Returns, you get 302 karma after the first hit and it falls fast to like 19 karma at bottom?  Not sure what bottom is now with Oct 1 patch.  Basically, ArenaNet puts a cap or limit on how much karma you can make, before they have identified you as a botting player and taken punitive action against you.   

I'm just glad I farmed the last bit of Karma I needed last week because htis week I wouldn't be able to farm so fast and I'm glad i'm done heh.

Cheers

Edit:  Btw, forgot to mention, last week the Karma Cap before DR hit you was around 20K karma, then they changed it down to 10K karam.  With a 50% karma booster, I was easily having to relog every hour or less because of this.  Stinks they put such huge amount of karma you need to the armor then won't let you get it in a timely fashion.  Not sure how long the karma cap is now with the Oct 1 past.  my 2 cents.

Thanks for defining that.  The concept of DR is repugnant, but the amount seems reasonable at least.  I have been playing since launch 3 + hours a day and only have 5k Karma saved up.  Granted I have not been running many public quests lately, but 10k per day sounds okay for most players.