Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is old school Vanilla WOW PvP back?

Thinking of re-subbing after GW2 failed to inspire me, got bored of Diablo 3 Inferno gear runs (what decent gear ever dropped I ask myself), Borderlands 2 sent my head daft, Torchlight 2 was better than D3 as far as itemisation but still became repetitive, Company of Heroes plagued by map hackers, Day Z was my savior for a while but again the hackers destoyed the experience.

Currently waiting on WarZ and Company of Heroes 2 but still 3-6 months off.

Is it worth levelling again since i heard the cross realm zones have transformed the dead levelling experience. I actually enjoyed getting ganked due to the adrenaline and getting payback.

Or is it another hype train to draw me in again to the world of kung fu chinaman.

Is old school wow back?

Is Ashenvale full of Horde/Aliiance rogues ready to jump my frost mage?

Is stranglethorn vale hemingway camp full of alliance and horde corpses?

Comments

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I don't think it's possible to rekindle it. especially with Kotick pulling the strings behind Blizz.

Or I'd go back too.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

The past month there has been a lot of outrage because of world pvp..   I would say they were successful at adding it back

1.  They invented a thing called Cross-realm zones (CRZs).. basically when you are in a low level zone that normally would be empty, they phase it so you are with a lot of people from other realms who are also questing there.  This means from 1-60, while you are questing, you are constantly in pvp.

2.  If you check the forums the past few days, you will see a lot of bitching about the placement of certain things.. in particular the pvp vendors that sell honor gear... they are located out in the world.. which means they are a huge pvp hotspot and will be for a long time.

3.  World Bosses.  Again, this goes back to Vanilla where rival guilds would not only have to organize a boss raid, but they would also have to clear out, and deal with other guilds trying to sabatoge the boss attempt.

4.  Black Market Auction House -  This is an NPC that auctions rare mounts and items.   Again, lots of traffic.

I think TM-SS was a lot of fun if you were 60, but the problem is it was in a lvl 20 zone.  It kinda just happened because it was a zone that had the closest distance between a horde and alliance city.   Once it became known, it just kinda evolved to what it became.  I personally think the PVP vendors will be that spot in MoP.  It is out of the way, and there aren´t mobs nearby that can interfere (kinda like lvl 20 mobs didn´t affect ss-tm).

We will see.  So far CRZs are amazing if you like to pvp while you level up.  The rest of the stuff is too early to tell.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

There is quite a lot of World PvP in Pandaria.  In addition, lower level zones are seeing a lot more ganks due to the CRZ system.

Plenty of quest hubs without guards that both factions share (think old STV) in Pandaria, as well as merchants selling special gear and world bosses.  To be honest it may be a little too much for those who haven't played in Vanilla and TBC as there is even more of it now than there was back then (relative to one's experience with their particular servers).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Azrile

The past month there has been a lot of outrage because of world pvp..   I would say they were successful at adding it back

1.  They invented a thing called Cross-realm zones (CRZs).. basically when you are in a low level zone that normally would be empty, they phase it so you are with a lot of people from other realms who are also questing there.  This means from 1-60, while you are questing, you are constantly in pvp.

2.  If you check the forums the past few days, you will see a lot of bitching about the placement of certain things.. in particular the pvp vendors that sell honor gear... they are located out in the world.. which means they are a huge pvp hotspot and will be for a long time.

3.  World Bosses.  Again, this goes back to Vanilla where rival guilds would not only have to organize a boss raid, but they would also have to clear out, and deal with other guilds trying to sabatoge the boss attempt.

4.  Black Market Auction House -  This is an NPC that auctions rare mounts and items.   Again, lots of traffic.

I think TM-SS was a lot of fun if you were 60, but the problem is it was in a lvl 20 zone.  It kinda just happened because it was a zone that had the closest distance between a horde and alliance city.   Once it became known, it just kinda evolved to what it became.  I personally think the PVP vendors will be that spot in MoP.  It is out of the way, and there aren´t mobs nearby that can interfere (kinda like lvl 20 mobs didn´t affect ss-tm).

We will see.  So far CRZs are amazing if you like to pvp while you level up.  The rest of the stuff is too early to tell.

CRZ ruined all these things, entire guilds have alts on other servers that just used the "/friend" feature of the CRZ to bring the entire guild to that server and kill it.

People exploiting CRZ for every thing from sniping the Black Market AH, to Ganking low level people till they log off and farming world bosses across servers that are not available to them otherwise.

And the worst part is that they exploit low population servers since there is no point of CRZing into a high population server.

If your home server has very low population, and some servers have about 100 people on each faction get ready to have some ass-hat guild swooshing in and taking every thing they want.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    How do you join a crz?
  • krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    How do you join a crz?

it happens automatically

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by krakra70
    How do you join a crz?

it happens automatically

with random servers?

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    How do you join a crz?

it happens automatically

with random servers?

I play on 2 servers. One is full/locked and always gets put with the same 1-2 full/locked servers and the other one is a medium(recently went high) and we get put with many random(I think) servers.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    How do you join a crz?

it happens automatically

with random servers?

No, there are battle groups of simmilar server types, soon if there are not enough people in those groups it will go global.

But the big problem and what people are exploiting with CRZ, is that you can get to any server trough CRZ if you are friends with a player on another server trough realID.