Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Doing Right By Gamers

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          So I guess if we didn't like TSW then we aren't really gamers??

Correct.It's the same defence fans used for FFXIV if you don't like ti it's coz your of low intelligence and didn't "get it"

I also love how bwefore AoC everyone treated FUncoim as a AAA developer and a publically traded coorporation with lots of money from having a diversified protfolio but for the secret world they were suddenly an indie developer with very little money and everyone should cut the poor little developer some slack.

If they are cash poor and a small dev team now it's because of poor management and bad game decisions and as such they deserve to reap what they have sewn.Why should they be exempt from the cosnequences of their own actions when the rest of us aren't?

Now I think TSW itself is a fine game and much better thna their previous efforts  and the onyl reason I myself don't play is I won't support it's business model.There are other things I don't like about the game but not enough to stop me playing it.

I do think Funcom has done alright by it's player base with updates at this stage but I wonder how long they can keep it up.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

When I heard the game was mostly instanced and focused on PvE with little effort put in PvP I completely lost interest in the game and basically ignored everything else.

So unless those things have changed I see little reason to give it a second look.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Well, since this a TSW thread I checked it for TSW, and it doesn't seem that far out of place: an mmorpg.com rating of 8.5, a user rating of 8.3.

Personally, I prefer those reviews where the reviewer is able to surpass his/her own biases, either negative or positive (a hardcore sandbox fan giving an honest, praising review of a themepark MMO, now that'd be a nice touch), and give an honest, fairly objective summing up of both pros and cons of an MMO, great qualities as well as weaknesses.

That bit there is really all that anyone can ask for, but sadly, all too rarely get.

As to the rating, TSW is fair close, yes, but some of the bigger and "more major" recent examples are not: TOR and D3, both heavily promoted and supported on this site have a much larger score difference, and in the run up to launch, the reviews/columnists/whatever else that covered those, did the usual deal of "over emphasizing the positive and minimizing the negative" in their coverage. They each got the full "treatment".

And thus, the difference in score between "offical review" and player rating is large: over 1.7 higher on the official review for each.

And there were a lot of gamers that bought those titles, some on the overpositive reviews, that were not happy with their purchases.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Yamota

When I heard the game was mostly instanced and focused on PvE with little effort put in PvP I completely lost interest in the game and basically ignored everything else.

So unless those things have changed I see little reason to give it a second look.

If I got it, you didn't try the game because it didn't fit your taste. Ok, that's normal. 

What confuses me is why you came here just to write that... Do you do it in all games you "ignore"? 

I played first month. I enjoyed my time there, but I felt it was a little incomplete game, and to make things worse it has the highest sub fee among several AAA titles (the same applies to AoC) + cash shop (and expensive one btw) with stuff you can't farm or buy ingame. Very greedy and I don't like to feel that I am supporting it...

I will come back for another month, just don't know when. maybe when the world is bigger and the sub fee lower...

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Candomble

If I got it, you didn't try the game because it didn't fit your taste. Ok, that's normal. 

What confuses me is why you came here just to write that... Do you do it in all games you "ignore"? 

I played first month. I enjoyed my time there, but I felt it was a little incomplete game, and to make things worse it has the highest sub fee among several AAA titles (the same applies to AoC) + cash shop (and expensive one btw) with stuff you can't farm or buy ingame. Very greedy and I don't like to feel that I am supporting it...

I will come back for another month, just don't know when. maybe when the world is bigger and the sub fee lower...

WHAT1!! are you people smoking since when is 15 dollar' s amonth the highest sub cost for a game, its been that way for all MMo's !!!!! Since for ever!!!

What  games have you people been playing WOW and every other AAA and even sandbox's are 15 bucks a month!!!  Also WOW and most every other game has a store, don't like the store don't use it, it dies not effect game play,.,.

There is nothing in the store in TSW that effects game play ,..

AOC is free and yes they have to make money, oh I forgot you want them to work for free... Gamers today make me laugh so much IRL, how about you work for free !!! BETTER yet go make a game, and I will play it for free and come here and whine about it because you want to make a living!

I wish you gamers would get a new hobby because its clear 15 bucks a month is killing you...  alls I got to say is WOW........

PS  People wonder why the MMo industry is dieing this is why, more games will go offline because gamers are cheap and want everything handed to them today get a job! work for once in your lives...

Sorry to others but this stuff that I read how 15 dollars a month is so much is pissing me off,  and I been watching games go down hill the last 5 years or more and mainly not because of the game because of the people....

Wonder why games like COH go off line and more will continue to do so because you people expect them to work for free, when you have no idea what it takes to make these games, also I laugh when people come to game design school and expect to polay games all day AND find out how much work and there like WTF, I quit!

Seen it alot and people whine, and like WOW never knew there was this much work, , kids today.....

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I don't understand the sub fee thing. It's the same sub fee as SoE games, WoW, LOTRO and others. Now conversion to Euro... that sounds like a real issue. But for US gamers, the sub fee is the same and it is reduced the longer you sub.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, sub fee costs a bit more here than the average mmo sub...

But except that, I think they're on a good track. The game is good, the players (who remained) mostly love it, Ragnar's still there. They only need to keep the quality on level, and probably the playerbase will slowly grow - not much, ofc, most likely TSW won't go over a few hundred k ever... but it will make them a steady income. Or not and I'm just doing wishful thinking here :)

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Former Funcom CEO and several people in management investigated for insider trading?

An anonymous source reported to The Escapist that Aas' position change to a chief strategy advisor

allowed him to attempt to sell off company stock without attracting scrutiny.

As of press time, 650,000 of his 1.5 million shares have successfully sold.

Stocks were valued at $17.60 a share when the game launched on July 2nd, but were worth $2.17 later.

How about those gamers who bought Funcom shares to support them?

Are they doing it right by them? 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/14/former-funcom-ceo-investigated-for-insider-trading/

http://e24.no/finanstilsynet-og-oslo-boers-gransker-funcom-aksjen/20268603

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

The thing is I pay in euros. 14 euros that happens to be more than 15 dollars.

The majority of other tittles are 12-13 euros month, and it can go less with gamecards (many times down to 10 euros).

Plus in the majority of other titles, many with more content btw, shops are cheaper; in TSW, ingame, most of the cloths you could buy were ugly, with cooler sets on the shop. To me this is greedy. You are ok with it, fine for you.

On the other hand, someone called me cheap and told me to go to work... Well, as a matter of fact I have a full time job since I finished university in 2000 and I don't remember passing a full month without paying an MMO sub fee in the last 3-4 years. However I try to value my money, even if it's a small fee, and I don't like the feeling of being explored. And I payed 49 euros for the game, so I am not talking about getting anything for free...

(edited because first post was written with cell phone)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I think some people just play a game to death and than get bored of it and blame the developer for some reason. No one wants to blame them selves, it is natural to want to move on after awhile
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    American media is garbage.
  • jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Really turned the corner? Gamewrs are satisfied? Does this writer even play the game? Its a ghost town wherever you go, even agartha is relatively quiet.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What do you mean "came here"? This isn't a TSW fan site, this is MMORPG.COM and I frequently visit this site and I happened to see this article on the main page, I read it and commented on it. You got a problem with that, then why dont you report me for whatever problem you have with it.

The fact is that this game is not appealing, to me atleast, and I dont think it has anything to do with media coverage but rather the game itself which is simply lacking.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    I think some people just play a game to death and than get bored of it and blame the developer for some reason. No one wants to blame them selves, it is natural to want to move on after awhile

+1 Eddie... I agree. I'm happy getting 1 hour a night on a game so it takes me a long time to reach max level NOT one or two weeks.

What do you mean "came here"? This isn't a TSW fan site, this is MMORPG.COM and I frequently visit this site and I happened to see this article on the main page, I read it and commented on it. You got a problem with that, then why dont you report me for whatever problem you have with it.

The fact is that this game is not appealing, to me atleast, and I dont think it has anything to do with media coverage but rather the game itself which is simply lacking.

Probably you were a little to short on your comment and I felt the wrong way about it. After this answer I think I misanderstood your intentions. Sorry for that. 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Secret World is the best MMO ever created, by anyone.

Seriously. Even at this early stage.

Over time people will notice

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Secret World is the best MMO ever created, by anyone.Seriously. Even at this early stage.Over time people will notice

Girl you cray cray

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by kulhat

If Funcom made brilliant games we would not have to discuss things like this, yes?

I'm not trying to sound smart, but it is what it is when you look closely.

This statement is partially true. But the point of the article and of the problem is, they made a brilliant (or at least very good) game right now and get biased comments and feedback because they didn't do so in the past. Independent from the company, layoffs, reviews, player numbers and business model, the game is good and well worth playing. This article is making a case for taking keeping objective on this.

Nonsense, more like: if you never try the game and say it's bad because the Developer released two shitty games four and ten years ago, then you are not really a gamer (or simply a moron). There is nothing wrong with not liking any game for any kind of reason that you cn back up. Problem comes with not liking a game simply decause you like another game or dislike(d) a previous game by the same creators.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

to me funcom's mode of operation has been great ideas (truly great) and miserable implementation.

anyone like me who was there for the anarchy online release can raise their hands with me.  BUT lets not forget a lot of AO was ahead of its time.  LDoN by sony was essentially a blatant rip-off of anarchy's mission system for example.

thats why i have chosen to take a wait and see with TSW... but it seems like maybe its time to try the game soon.  maybe perhaps this will be the year that not one, but two big mmo names learn a lesson (SqE being the other.)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Zikari

Nonsense, more like: if you never try the game and say it's bad because the Developer released two shitty games four and ten years ago, then you are not really a gamer (or simply a moron). There is nothing wrong with not liking any game for any kind of reason that you cn back up. Problem comes with not liking a game simply decause you like another game or dislike(d) a previous game by the same creators.

THe game appealed to a niche crowd...It isnt a very good game as the combat and animations suck.....Add in they made it pretty much a single player experience with our character being a mute and you have a losing MMO...IT had nothing to do with our prior experiences with AoC or AO (which I still play), but taht TSW was underwhelming for most of us...Factor in the insane prices they were asking (box + sub + CS) and it was no temptation whatsoever to go any further.

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Well, they have to do something as they messed up big time in AOC, the game I really loved. Then they had an offer of a year sub and be part of the beta. And what did they do? They let others in the beta and let their die hard fan base in at the last week of beta testing. We wrote funcom that this wasnt fair and they just told us that they never gave us any ETA on when we could come in. So, yeah, that was a backfire. So, I never subbed to this game, so I cant talk about it, but I can tell you this....that funcom is a thief. They promis and promis and promis but never have really delivered on AOC. So, I guess how can they keep their words on this one? Well if they do...then kudos for them there. But its the same old s....! I sure do hope they get it good with this game and I hope you all enjoy it. But im never gonna pay again for a sub on a game.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Even though I'm not playing TSW atm, it is a great game that acheived what it said it was going to.

THe game appealed to a niche crowd...It isnt a very good game as the combat and animations suck.....Add in they made it pretty much a single player experience with our character being a mute and you have a losing MMO...IT had nothing to do with our prior experiences with AoC or AO (which I still play), but taht TSW was underwhelming for most of us...Factor in the insane prices they were asking (box + sub + CS) and it was no temptation whatsoever to go any further.

Sure, fair statement, but opinions may vary by players. If you say it's medicore, and I say it's great, we are both right based on our playing experiences. People that say they will never try because of the unreasonable price tag have their right to do so as well. I am just pissed by people who can't let go talking about the Anarchy Online and Age of Conan launches when arguing why they won't have a look at The Secret World.

The point I would disagree with is the single player experience, that it isn't as single player by design than many other recent MMO's is one of the biggest advantages for me. In Guild Wars 2 for example ( a great game, no question) I always have tons of other players around, but I never really interact whith them except from putting them back up, while exploring the maps. In The Secret World there are a lot less players, but if you meet someone in the world you normally always group up because you are on the same quest and the questing structure encourages this. Once a quest is done you can remain group for a couple of others. I've never joined a guild, but spend the majority of the time in the quest zones in random casual groups and had nice chats with players. Something that almost never happened in GW2 and I really missed that.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

The combat isn't any worse than in LotrO or Aion or Rift, the freeformat skill system is better than in most other MMO's. Besides, I like the fact that you can move while casting and not just have to stand still like in other MMO's. The CS, sorry, but from what I've seen that has been a part of other P2P MMO's for a while now (sparkling ponies in WoW, anyone?), not a big thing or shock to me. As for it not being a good game, well, in the end it's all subjective, I think they did pretty damn alright with adding an MMO with 1 of the most original, different settings on the MMO market, the only horror/urban dark fantasy MMO around with a great atmosphere and an immersive, highly enjoyable PvE experience with its questing types and dungeons. PvP could need some added options and richness imo, though. But hey, if that's how you felt about the game then that's how you felt about it, to each their own in the end.