Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DR hitting the players

Comments

• camiacamia Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by salenger

Overall it had to be done.

With GW though its the kind of game i kind of enjoy playing, its a nice world and has good content..to an extent.  I just do not find myself caring what level, type of gear, area of map or any other content in GW2...making me feel interested.  For me its enjoyable just to log in (no sub) kill a few things, do an event or two and log off.  

Its a great themepark, best so far imo and the no sub cost makes it work for me, but by no means will i treat GW2 as my MMO, i would much rather be putting effort into something that in some way matters towards the game world.

Waiting on Darkfall UW, Repopulation, OoM.

DR isnt really a big deal.

If you didn't have anything to say on DR, why did you feel the need to complain about GW2? This added nothing to the thread.

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by camia

With GW though its the kind of game i kind of enjoy playing, its a nice world and has good content..to an extent.  I just do not find myself caring what level, type of gear, area of map or any other content in GW2...making me feel interested.  For me its enjoyable just to log in (no sub) kill a few things, do an event or two and log off.  

Its a great themepark, best so far imo and the no sub cost makes it work for me, but by no means will i treat GW2 as my MMO, i would much rather be putting effort into something that in some way matters towards the game world.

If you didn't have anything to say on DR, why did you feel the need to complain about GW2? This added nothing to the thread.

Other than a point of view that if DR matters at all for some players. 

And as in the post it was obvious i was giving it a 50/50, just not an MMO I care about progress in.

• camiacamia Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by camia

Other than a point of view of if DR matters at all for some players. 

And as in the post it was obvious i was giving it a 50/50, just not an MMO I care about progress in.

Two lines out of ten is not "talking about DR." You used this as a plug to badmouth GW2 as a whole.

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Abrexus
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    What is the DR?

You get hit with a diminishing returns on exprience/karma/silver when completing events.  There is a lot of speculation as to what triggers this but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason and the developers have yet to make any statement.

I can say from personal expereince it hit me 3 times total and I am far from a power gamer.  My Necromancer is only level 20 as I only have dedicated time to play, and yet I still managed to get hit with this.  I think a developer response on the GW2 forums would at least help people understand what causes the issue and then we could give more direct feedback on what (if anything) may need to be changed.  At this time though it does seem to be a bit harsh as it affects many people with varied playstyles.

TY for info.

I assume this kills people farming those two DE's in the last zone?  The ones where you run through a tunnel to stop the attacks.  That seemed to be a good way to farm items drops and karma.  I only did it once, right before taking a break from teh game.

I guess it's unfeasible for developers to stop bots, so they try to punish anyone doing bot like behavior.  Even if it's legit.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I'm not sure I would even notice if I hit DR. When I'm playing I'm generally not paying attention to my level or the xp I'm receiving.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Abrexus
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    What is the DR?

You get hit with a diminishing returns on exprience/karma/silver when completing events.  There is a lot of speculation as to what triggers this but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason and the developers have yet to make any statement.

I can say from personal expereince it hit me 3 times total and I am far from a power gamer.  My Necromancer is only level 20 as I only have dedicated time to play, and yet I still managed to get hit with this.  I think a developer response on the GW2 forums would at least help people understand what causes the issue and then we could give more direct feedback on what (if anything) may need to be changed.  At this time though it does seem to be a bit harsh as it affects many people with varied playstyles.

Is there a notification or icon that indicates you have DR, or are you just assuming each of those three times were DR?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Cyrael
    I'm not sure I would even notice if I hit DR. When I'm playing I'm generally not paying attention to my level or the xp I'm receiving.

Same here. The first time I noticed XP was when I hit 80 last night, but that's because I hit 80 THREE TIMES last night. I guess the XP counter is just for show or something once you hit 80.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I see a lot of posts about DR, and in the game I see a few people talk about it.

Before the Oct 1 post, I know that the "in-game" advice was just to log out and right back in, and it supposedly cleared. I don't know first hand if that worked then, or if it still works now. It kept the massive "zerg" karma farmers in Orr happy though, so I assume it did.

I can't think of an instance were I have ever been hit with the DR code - even doing several events in the same zone for a couple of hours, I would always get ~370 karma each event. I do a good bit of wandering about the map though (I get bored easily). I've not run a dungeon successively yet - maybe that's more strict.

Honestly - it seems like a lot of mountain out of a molehill. I don't see a lot of people in game talking about it, aside from the quick fix of just log out and back in. Maybe it is bugged and not affecting everyone the same or something though - I can't discount that possibility.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I see a lot of posts about DR, and in the game I see a few people talk about it.

Before the Oct 1 post, I know that the "in-game" advice was just to log out and right back in, and it supposedly cleared. I don't know first hand if that worked then, or if it still works now. It kept the massive "zerg" karma farmers in Orr happy though, so I assume it did.

I can't think of an instance were I have ever been hit with the DR code - even doing several events in the same zone for a couple of hours, I would always get ~370 karma each event. I do a good bit of wandering about the map though (I get bored easily). I've not run a dungeon successively yet - maybe that's more strict.

Honestly - it seems like a lot of mountain out of a molehill. I don't see a lot of people in game talking about it, aside from the quick fix of just log out and back in. Maybe it is bugged and not affecting everyone the same or something though - I can't discount that possibility.

This.

I seriously havent hit the DR either. Last night in straits of devastation i did 2 giants, 1 chopper, 1 tank and two complete chains that lead to the priest of balthazar, all non stop and didnt hit anything. All that was like  2 hours or so of play. I was getting full rewards the whole time.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

This.

I seriously havent hit the DR either. Last night in straits of devastation i did 2 giants, 1 chopper, 1 tank and two complete chains that lead to the priest of balthazar, all non stop and didnt hit anything. All that was like  2 hours or so of play. I was getting full rewards the whole time.

I dont think until recently many players didnt take notice because anet tried to keep it under their hat..

But as an example if you have ran from one place to another in orr and fought most of the mobs along the way it is very likely your loot has been at least partially diminished due to killing to many of the same mobs to fast, an obvious flaw in a place to where every mob is a risen and they often come at you in groups of 3-5..

Or if you run with 10-12 friends just for the love of the game like i do and you complete to many DEs to fast because you play very well together and just power slam almost everything anet will punish you very badly..

Im not even going to get into the punishment anet provides for working well together as a well oiled machine and kicking a dungeons butt good..

I will just say anet would be better off to just flat out limit groups to one dungeon per 30 minutes than to ruin a gamers play for upwards of 2 hours with the diminishing garbage and thats only if you log off..

Bots and exploiters are botting and exploiting while i and 4 friends are waiting for our DR to wear off..

GW2 was an extremely well made and fun game at its core but due to poor decisions concerning their battle with bots i have to question anets ability to keep gamers playing it or even if they want people to keep playing it at this point....

It does no good if you won the battle against the bots but due to blindness lost the war when your playerbase gave up..

Playing GW2..

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

What am I doing wrong? Why haven't I experienced this DR? I farm for mats too. How long do I have to repetitively do a single activity in order to be hit by this penalty? Do I have to stay in an area or something?

I also brought it up on Map chat while farming in Gendarran and got crickets.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by dageeza
    Originally posted by austriacus Originally posted by Ridelynn I see a lot of posts about DR, and in the game I see a few people talk about it. Before the Oct 1 post, I know that the "in-game" advice was just to log out and right back in, and it supposedly cleared. I don't know first hand if that worked then, or if it still works now. It kept the massive "zerg" karma farmers in Orr happy though, so I assume it did. I can't think of an instance were I have ever been hit with the DR code - even doing several events in the same zone for a couple of hours, I would always get ~370 karma each event. I do a good bit of wandering about the map though (I get bored easily). I've not run a dungeon successively yet - maybe that's more strict. Honestly - it seems like a lot of mountain out of a molehill. I don't see a lot of people in game talking about it, aside from the quick fix of just log out and back in. Maybe it is bugged and not affecting everyone the same or something though - I can't discount that possibility.
    This. I seriously havent hit the DR either. Last night in straits of devastation i did 2 giants, 1 chopper, 1 tank and two complete chains that lead to the priest of balthazar, all non stop and didnt hit anything. All that was like  2 hours or so of play. I was getting full rewards the whole time.
    I dont think until recently many players didnt take notice because anet tried to keep it under their hat..

But as an example if you have ran from one place to another in orr and fought most of the mobs along the way it is very likely your loot has been at least partially diminished due to killing to many of the same mobs to fast, an obvious flaw in a place to where every mob is a risen and they often come at you in groups of 3-5..

Or if you run with 10-12 friends just for the love of the game like i do and you complete to many DEs to fast because you play very well together and just power slam almost everything anet will punish you very badly..

Im not even going to get into the punishment anet provides for working well together as a well oiled machine and kicking a dungeons butt good..

I will just say anet would be better off to just flat out limit groups to one dungeon per 30 minutes than to ruin a gamers play for upwards of 2 hours with the diminishing garbage and thats only if you log off..

Bots and exploiters are botting and exploiting while i and 4 friends are waiting for our DR to wear off..

GW2 was an extremely well made and fun game at its core but due to poor decisions concerning their battle with bots i have to question anets ability to keep gamers playing it or even if they want people to keep playing it at this point....

It does no good if you won the battle against the bots but due to blindness lost the war with your playerbase..

I see a lot of people doing exactly this - running a lot of DE's back to back. Heck, most of them have the popular DE timers down flat. They just jump between zones in downtime, or run a DE chain or two in an adjacent zone and then run back over.

I can't speak to the dungeon issue - I don't hear as much about it, but from what I can gather it just prevents you from doing the exact same path in the exact same dungeon. Sure, if you can run it in 15 min great - but run it 4 times in a row at 15min... ok... well, maybe if you just attempt one other path in between, or run another dungeon inbetween - problem solved.

Everyone wants to freak out like this is specifically aimed at them. It's not.

ANet hasn't tried to cover it up. They have posted about it - it was in patch notes every time they change it. There's no conspiracy here. It may have bugs - sure - and bring those up. But there's no black helecoptors hovering over trying to gimp every player not wearing a tin foil hat and take away their loots.

• tab14tab14 Member Posts: 7

I only play 5-6 hours a night , usually the last hour is at the crafting tables on alts, but I will look out for this DR that is hitting other people.

Thanks for letting us know it is an issue for some, maybe  I will notice it happening when I stop following my storyline.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Sounds like patch today fixed some bugs with DR triggering too early/soon.

But this is life - and it is also war.

War against bots, spammers, hackers, cheaters...

The innocent always suffer in war.

If YOU can't farm the same dungeon or DE chain over and over legitimately, but at the same time if an automated BOT or gold farmer working with compromised accounts is stopped because of it - I'm all for it.

That whole "those who give up freedom for security deserve neither" or whatever quote is unrealistic, niave bullshit.

You and I vastly disagree on this. 

A LARGE amount of GW2's current problems (botters/goldspammers) stems DIRECTLY from ANet's apparenty refusal to provide for a two-factor authentication system like WoW, SWTOR, Rift and others do. Yes, the individuals with hacked accounts share blame, but ultimately it's Anet's 'infrastructure' that's being compromised and that means that it is ultimately THEIR responsibility to insure their systems are secure. So we have a hacked account problem which leads DIRECTLY to the botter problem which leads DIRECTLY to the goldspammer/seller problem with leads DIRECTLY to a ham-handed attempt by ANet to deal with the situation. The end result affects legitimate players more than the botters.

The community IS up in arms because the issue both because of it in and of itself but also because we STILL have broken DE's, quests, other bugs etc and for all intents and purposes, ANet is giving the impression that DR is their prime focus. Whether or not that's true is actually immaterial. The widespread belief in the community is ANet would rather screw with DR (thereby screwing with TOS abiding players) than deal with other, more pressing problems.

The botters are less affected, if at all, by this because a) they don't care, they're automated and b) while ANet is CLAIMING they're taking an active stance in banning botters, it takes a simple run thru of nearly ANY zone (lowbie or 80's) and you'll find swarms of bots running around. And they're there for hours every day, for days on end. And when they DO get banned, they resort to their library of hacked accounts and start over again.

And that quote isn't naive bullshit and isn't entirely appropos to this discussion.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I should point out the DR system besides just sucking also appears bugged, as a RL guild we often move in a pack of 10-12 in 2 or 3 groups and we experience the same events and mobs yet only 4 or 5 of us will get a diminishing return punishment..

When i play solo sometimes it is nearly impossible to trigger the DR except under certain circumstances and other times i trigger it doing far less than the day before..

IMHO anet needs to remove this flawed system and find a better way to target bots instead punishing players..

Playing GW2..

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

The only problem i have with it is endgame stuff. Endgame gear,legendaries,crafting ingredients,etc make you farm for them cuz some of the req to make things are atrocious,so you really dont have a choice but to farm for stuff or farm the gold to buy them. The only other option is to buy gems and trade them for gold and i think thats what ANET is trying to force people to do.

They want to make you pay that 14.99 a month anyway they can if its not a sub fee then the ywant to make stuff so insanely hard to get that people just spend the money because they cant farm it.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Part of the whole incentive to finish those kill 1000 of these type of mobs achievements was to get the loot while working toward that goal. Now that Anet has effectively killed that desire to hunker down and knock out that grind with this DR system, I wonder how long will it take them to realize the total contradiction of having those types of achievements in the first place with such a counterproductive system.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Carnafex

The problem is that unless Anet has a full disclosure on the rules that come into play to invoke the DR/anti-bot code people will assume a run of crappy drops is being influenced by the code; when it may well be just bad luck.  Full disclosure is obviously counter-productive for influencing bots, so their best bet is to eliminate the code altogether.   Otherwise the continual whining will just get worse. 

If it's not this, it'll be something else.

I dunno if you've seen but the latest on the whinning train have been people complaining that the ingame map shows you more than what's currently available.

People will literally whine about anything, regardless of how trivial or irrelevant.

Thats so very true, and thats why its very important to find the true complaints between the whines, and its even harder to find some advise in those threads from players that have tought toroughly about a problem and add solutions for the problem...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I feel like the DR is negligible for people who arent cutting events. 

The only time it came to play for me was when I start doing half of the events like collecting only a few things then going off and killing off 2 waves of escort and moving on to another event. 

As for farming, I farmed for an hour on the fireflies in gendarren fields and it felt more or less the same for an hour.  I maxed out my venom sac at that point so I just stopped farming.  The drop rate seemed to be cut in about half after an hour of just running around killing fireflies and the odd minotaur.  But then again I had around +50% magic find during this whole thing so that may have been a part of it.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Question - i honestly don't know this.

But do you get an ingame msg when the DR triggers ? Last night i had a 4 hours gaming session (in 1 and the same zone without logging off) and i didn't notice any less rewards. I got about 4/5k karma i think.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

No message. I tried it again earlier but i only measured exp and after around 20 DE that were paced (centaurs in kessek place) i never got lower than 980ish exp as reward for the de. It used to be 1000 before the DR patch. 2% less reward doesnt seem very rageworthy tbh. It went defend the place -> centaur bridge ->leuts -> overlord -> risen krait/bandit captain/centaurs in west side/krait slavers then repeat.  Safe to say the only time youll get significant Dr is if you ditch halfway and  go around doing that for all the events.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Nevermind someone already supplied this info.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Sounds like patch today fixed some bugs with DR triggering too early/soon.

But this is life - and it is also war.

War against bots, spammers, hackers, cheaters...

The innocent always suffer in war.

If YOU can't farm the same dungeon or DE chain over and over legitimately, but at the same time if an automated BOT or gold farmer working with compromised accounts is stopped because of it - I'm all for it.

That whole "those who give up freedom for security deserve neither" or whatever quote is unrealistic, niave bullshit.

Well, you have to do something but too much is not good. Too much copy protection for an instant actually make more people getting cracks then less, letting your customers suffer too much isnt good.

I cant say that I noticed the DR myself though and I played a lot, but it is something Anet needs to be careful with. Keeping people from farming the same mob for hours is not really a problem but getting no loot becuse I play in Orr and it is full of undead would suck.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    [mod edit]
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Eh?

What is this DR of which you speak?

I play for around 8 hours every day, I get my daily done, then I go do whatever I feel like doing, for example: a couple of days ago I took an alt over to repeatedly kill Kol, as he was respawning before the event chain had finished, took that alt from level 40 to 46 just doing that one event chain repeatedly, and saw no DR at all.

In fact, I have not noticed any DR of any kind so far, and I have been playing pretty much every day since the headstart, XP, Karma, drops, all appear to be the same at the end of my play sessions as they were at the start of them.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.