Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] MechWarrior Online: A Rush of Nostalgia

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Basically this is just Mech based FPS ? With servers and matches ?

Same as HAWKEN that is also in beta fase ? Am I right ?

Nothing even close to MMO ?

Dont really understand why the game is featured here. But I guess MMO format is in hard times and there is nothing much to write about....

Not really...

There is actually going to be options to run your own Mercenary company or participate in a House's landgrab according to their info/features - so there is actually a lot of political/rpg element that hasn't been implemented yet.

Only the tech aspect was being tested so far it seems, which is fair because the fighting is the main element of this game. The politics and salvage side of things are easy to implement in comparison.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

if NDA has been lifted...

Terrible game only for hardcore mechwarrior fans who play in premade groups with teamspeak. go try it for 3 days and you will understand just how bad this game is its complete garbage and is no place for casual players, join game & under 5 minutes your whole team is dead all day everyday, no balance nothing, piss poor boring gameplay, pathetic excuse for mechs that aircraft and armored vehicles with the same tech would whoop these trash junk heaps, i mean comon these mechs feel obsolete! If you are really into trying to find a mech game just wait for hawken and exteel 2 which is under development atm. But all in all STAY AWAY FROM THIS RUBBISH GAME

and mmorpg mods if you consider this trolling i give up...taking anything negative as trolling and ban the user its real fair...i consider this voicing my opinion please take it as such...but if you still consider this an offense then plz tell me and i will never post another opinion on this site at all.

hallo ~_~

• BlackLightBlackLight Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by rommello

if NDA has been lifted...

Terrible game only for hardcore mechwarrior fans who play in premade groups with teamspeak. go try it for 3 days and you will understand just how bad this game is its complete garbage and is no place for casual players, join game & under 5 minutes your whole team is dead all day everyday, no balance nothing, piss poor boring gameplay, pathetic excuse for mechs that aircraft and armored vehicles with the same tech would whoop these trash junk heaps, i mean comon these mechs feel obsolete! If you are really into trying to find a mech game just wait for hawken and exteel 2 which is under development atm. But all in all STAY AWAY FROM THIS RUBBISH GAME

and mmorpg mods if you consider this trolling i give up...taking anything negative as trolling and ban the user its real fair...i consider this voicing my opinion please take it as such...but if you still consider this an offense then plz tell me and i will never post another opinion on this site at all.

Hawken is just a shooter with robot skins. Nothing new there guessing you got blown away while MWO and are bitter. Who said the mechs are supposed to be moving like humans you think just because its the future they need to move like some anime mech. Not all futures are the same people need to get that in their heads.

Also the game is still being developed a lot of the features aren't even in yet. The engine is going to be changed next week for example.

-faith chooses no man

As for your futures comment, problem with this one's future setting is if you apply the same tech and wepons wasted on the mechs of this game....regular things like aircraft and armored vehicles outperform a thousand times better making these mechs obsolete...unlike mechs from say armored core for answer or even the latest hawken (AC making the regualr stuff near obsolete and hawken holding its own vs them)

hallo ~_~

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Hawken will crush mwo unfortunately. Mwo combat is just plain boring...it's sold as "strategic" but it really isn't. It's just a lot slower. Mwo really needs something like wvw to keep it interesting cuz right now it's just lobby based death match with customization options.
  • umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Faction warfare isn't even being tested yet. The game is basically just lobby based death match.
  • Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

I will say this, MWO is a breath of fresh air in terms of Group vs Group, its an old game brought back and brings the fun back and gives oldschool Mechwarrior fans something to play without dealing with a DRM bug (CRYSIS!!!!) and of course playing old games that just cant handle the new systems at times (MekTek, god i love you guys for your classics)

There are plenty of games out there that will make you think MWO is just a copy, but the thing is... its not just a run and gun, mechwarrior is the closest thing youll get to a MECH SIMULATOR short of getting a retro xbox and putting out 400$ for the old Steel Bat games.

Mechwarrior Online is still in Beta yes, but it puts World of Tanks to Shame!

Mechwarrior / BattleTech FOR LIFE!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by umie214
    Faction warfare isn't even being tested yet. The game is basically just lobby based death match.

It is closed beta testing at the moment. It is not even a game yet.

Just because you can "play test" it doesn't mean it is ready for release. That's why factions are not even in yet.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

gauss-pault ftw.

closed beta was awesome. tried some different variants and builds. had alot of fun. can't wait for the release :D

too bad they nerfed uac5s to hell with more jamming than a mideval weapon...seems gauss-paults are one of the better ways to go(altho low ammo) which makes me sad T_T anyway im playing other things since i could not stick with it as i said before

hallo ~_~

• Brew-eBrew-e Member Posts: 10
    too bad they nerfed uac5s to hell with more jamming than a mideval weapon...seems gauss-paults are one of the better ways to go(altho low ammo) which makes me sad T_T anyway im playing other things since i could not stick with it as i said before

To each his own Rommello. To us old Battletech players this game plays very closely to the tabletop version and for anyone to say diffrently never played the tabletop. This is a true Mech "SIM" game straight up. It is not a twitch based FPS like "Hawken"  and if you prefer that then go play Hawken it is a good game in its own right but it is a true FPS not a SIM.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Game is great fun for jumping on an having a few matches if you know what i mean... I guess like any other game of its type.

I do like Mechwarrior games and have been testing this for most of the year now and still enjoy playing it. :)

Its not really an MMO, if they do manage to bring in the faction warfare then i guess it would be more of an MMO then but at the moment its just a lobby game. Not a bad thing at all but will be a lot better with the faction stuff :)

• kileakkileak Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Brew-e

To each his own Rommello. To us old Battletech players this game plays very closely to the tabletop version and for anyone to say diffrently never played the tabletop. This is a true Mech "SIM" game straight up. It is not a twitch based FPS like "Hawken"  and if you prefer that then go play Hawken it is a good game in its own right but it is a true FPS not a SIM.

Actually one of the largest complaints about the game so far is how diffrent it is from the Table top rule set. from double armor and internal values to modified weapon values from dmg to heat to range to ammo per ton. Being able to equip massive weapons in slots ment for small weapons. boating specific weapon types and pushing mech's way beyond what anyone would of thought possible. Yes they have fixed and tweaked and improved things slowly and the game is definatly getting better as things move forward. but it is no where near or even close to TT rules at this point....

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

it is closer then most other Mechgames have been. Ofc some things have to be changed like how weapons can fire faster then once every 10 second and how we now actually can aim where the shots go. The heat is a proxy system to replace the 10 secodn rule (have you ever tried only using your weapons ever 10 sec... it makes heat very managable) anf the doubble armor is to counter the fact that you can place aimed shots (just imagine a laser boat ripping in to you if you only had TT armor values).

As for the boating and stuff.. it all comes down to what type of league or game you played back in the TT days.. Some were very strict and others let players run with what the rules gave you.

And as someone said the problem with a gausscat is not how to fit a gauss in the MG slot.. but ratehe that you can not see them on the outside (as they would be mounted in two pods on each side of the cat´s torso, it would not make them any easier to destroy though. My guess is that the only reason nobody did it in the "canon" lore is because it is not cost effcient from a "real world" pov as it would have a very limited range)

This have been a good conversation

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    This game is a blast! There's much more depth to it than I thought there would be, very true to the table top game.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    Depth? Difficulty? That is a rush of nostalgia. While not a MMO from my point of view, I have been keeping my eye on this one as an antidote to ezMMO hand holding and one click to top level gameplay.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    I've been playing Battletech board game for over 20 years, and this game is much more truthful to the ruleset than MW2, MW3 and MW4.

REALITY CHECK

• adenbrazzaadenbrazza Member Posts: 4

I've been playing MWO for quite a while now, being completely new to the MechWarrior series it was pretty newbie unfriendly at first. But there are heaps of guides for newbies from outstanding players in the community, and it only takes a bit of trial and error to really get into it.

If I hadn't joined the Australian MechWarrior Clan, I think I would've been insanely bored with the game. Communicating with your team to take the win's pretty fun. If I was still PUG'ing I think I would've stopped playing already, this isn't a game I can sit through four rounds in one sitting.

The game's great fun, and by the sounds of it it's going to have so much more to offer down the track.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by Butch808
    Hawken is much better.

Depends what you want to play. Hawken handles like and FPS with jetpacks, infact its a lot like the mech parts of Shogo. MWO handles like a giant mech and is more of a tactical Sim which is what the mechwarrior games always where.

Personally I think with the love a lot of people have for the Mechwarrior Franchise MWO could well get F2P GOTY 2012.
  • BlarklarkBlarklark Member Posts: 6
    I used to play Mech LOOONG ago.. I always died during the training... totally not hardcord player here lol...
  • AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    As for your futures comment, problem with this one's future setting is if you apply the same tech and wepons wasted on the mechs of this game....regular things like aircraft and armored vehicles outperform a thousand times better making these mechs obsolete...unlike mechs from say armored core for answer or even the latest hawken (AC making the regualr stuff near obsolete and hawken holding its own vs them)
    Mechwarrior, Battletech, mech Commander all take place in the year 3k and such and tech has reached a peak. Lines drawn treaties met.. You play a pilot of a "Battlemech" and fight others Battlemechs solo or in Lances.

Clans are the major political arm and the mechs are 30-100 tonnes each. Standing at 30-50 ft and weighing that much they would be lumbering juggernauts, not fast moving Gundams.

Your comments are completely based on lack of information about the Battletech Universe. Do the research of where this games roots lie and the game play makes perfect sense.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Im playing this beta for over a month now and im loving it,joined a good clan and we do like 20/1 there need to be a good pre-made to take us down

Still its just in beta,some things i wish to see being implemented on the game in future is:

-More mechs chassis,like the classics "BATTLEMASTER and MARAUDER

-More equipment customisation freedom

-All the mechwarriors usual arsenal

-Huge maps that also enforces some strategy,like WWIIOL or Planetside 2 at last

-Economy,politics and logistics relevance-Economy

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• AlitzaAlitza Member UncommonPosts: 5

absolutely agree .these rly wrong way .fps cant take players for long time

so that game for a week and nothing more

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I'm surprised the author didn't go into any detail about mech customization. It's pretty damn impressive. 

I've literally spent HOURS in the mech lab customizing and tweaking my mechs. This was my favorite part of PnP Battletech, and it's done *really* well in MWO.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

I have been having more fun playing this game but it still bothers me that ppl paid $120 for a founder's membership that gave them special mechs you can't buy in-game.  The stats after each game show time after time that those founders players do the most dps and get the most exp and are usually still alive. 

I would consider paying in but the core MMO portion has not been implemented yet and if poorly done I wouldn't buy the game.