Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often would you like updates in your MMORPG?

NovendarNovendar Member UncommonPosts: 41

As the title asks, how often would you like updates in your ideal MMORPG?

Please discuss, give the reason behind your reasoning if you have any and be honest.

Thanks!

Novendar, Officer of Risen
Apply today to raid on Corecraft with us!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    It depends on how the updates are delivered.  WoW-style "six+ hours of server downtime, plus another hour to fix your broken mods" calls for far less frequent updates than Guild Wars-style "log off to get an update whenever you're ready for it".
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Is this sandbox or themepark?

Are we talking about adding content or patching and fixing bugs?

Is this linear "one path" themepark or less linear big world multple path one?

How fast is the progress?

Is this end-game instance grinder game or open world sandbox or open world pvp game with teritorial control or someting else?

and so on so on.

There is no universal 'how often' for all mmorpg's because they can be very difftent kind of games. 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I cant really say "everyday patching" because that would mean that something shipped with a ton of bugs...

I vote like...once a week of patching is fine. 

If you were talking about content updates...500MB a day of content? Lets see how fast people can blaze through that o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• NovendarNovendar Member UncommonPosts: 41

I am talking about receiving new content. I guess I could rephrase as "How often would you want new content?"

The reason for this thread is because I see more and more people saying they are waiting for new content because they cleared all that is avaialable to them. 

Novendar, Officer of Risen
    Apply today to raid on Corecraft with us!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Novendar

I am talking about receiving new content. I guess I could rephrase as "How often would you want new content?"

The reason for this thread is because I see more and more people saying they are waiting for new content because they cleared all that is avaialable to them. 

It still depend alot of type of mmorpg you mean.

It depend how streamlined, linear, fast progress, story-dependant, wide-audience mmorpg it is.  Stronger those "features" are faster you have give new content.   

Of course that are not only factors - that is just an example.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122
    I prefer it bi-weekly or ideally, monthly for minor updates. But for major updates, I prefer it bi-monthly or quarterly.For me, that can determine that the game is active & that they're finding ways in keeping the whole thing alive.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I want all the content on release already.

I am quite tired of all these small worlds on release. I would like to have some massive open world to explore with lots of secrets to discover so that I don't need to wait sitting on my bum for some months waiting for something new to be released.

It's feasable. Just don't invest so much on voiceovers, storyline, videos and flashy stuff and use those resources to actually provide us with a world to play in since day one.

And maybe companies should investigate more on procedurally generated content.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by cheachan
    I prefer it bi-weekly or ideally, monthly for minor updates. But for major updates, I prefer it bi-monthly or quarterly.For me, that can determine that the game is active & that they're finding ways in keeping the whole thing alive.

Similar to this, I wouldn't mind having weekly updates for bug fixes and stability issues and for content updates I'd say once or twice a quarter.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    As often as possible. In a convenient manner.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

Of course, honest answer is - as often as they are bug free... Another topic: what do we call an update? Renaming NPC or changing reward for quest - is it an update? Or is introduction of new continent and newa armor  - an update?

In my opinion update covers new content or some radical changes, i.e.: in this month, our player get twenty Evil Chicken Slayer quests; from this month structures that were used by one race only are usable by all races...and alike.

Those updates I'd like to see each month. Big updates (new continent, new races etc) should not be often.

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265

Never.

"The best ruler is but a shadowy presence to his subjects".

I'm not informed personally when a building goes up in my area. Why should I be in a virtual world? Much less one based on medieval methods of communication.

Realistically, though, to appease the simple-minded, some updates might be good, but the rule is, the fewer, the better, and the underlying gameplay should almost never be changed. To do so is an implicit confession that you failed as a game designer, and should be accompanied with a treatise addressing the change from multiple perspectives, including both short-term and long-term concerns. In other words, changes to the game are bad, bad, bad. The developers create the world; the players shape it. Changes should seem to come about as a result of the actions of the denizens of the world rather than that of omnipotent entities, and there is no real need for players to be made aware of it instant, omnipotent communication.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I think monthly is a good timeline. it gives Devs abit of leeway, New content takes time. Lets face it, Very few of us are Programmers. We cant just assume they can magically pop content out of nowhere. Also If they rush content it starts getting repetative and Copy and Paste feeling. You need time for the Writers to write, then hand it off to the programmers to program, the testers to test and the players to yell YAY NEW CONTENT.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Novendar

There is a problem with this debate.

If you're asking people how often they'd like new, fully functioning, engaging, and well done content added to their game they would all say as fast as is possible so that there is a never ending supply of content to do.

That clearly isn't possible at all it takes a long time to make content.

Really the question should be would you rather see small monthly content updates or once a year expansion sized content updates?

I would vote for the monthly everytime.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I've been spoiled by Rift, The Secret World, FFXI and XIV who pump out quality content every month/quarter. I really can't see an excuse for why bigger budgeted games (WoW for example) takes so long to release new content.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    monthly minor updates with quarterly raid updates.
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Ideally I believe a Developer could and should produce small bi-monthly content updates, medium size yearly updates, and bi-yearly Expansion Packs. I believe this formula could most adequately balance the need for content versus the time it takes to develop said content. On top of that their really needs to be a high priority on bug squashing and code optimization. I am really annoyed at the trend of developers breaking their game every other new patch; this has to stop!

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Draron
    I've been spoiled by Rift, The Secret World, FFXI and XIV who pump out quality content every month/quarter. I really can't see an excuse for why bigger budgeted games (WoW for example) takes so long to release new content.

Well, Trion and Blizzard are having different strategies. The folks at Trion presumably knew from the very beginning, that if they produce a game based on,...heck, yes a WoW clone, that they need to get up to speed as fast as possible. So i assume that their whole design and production process was set the way, so that they can pull it off. And apparently they are doing a good job.

Blizz on the other hand, does not have this pressure. They can take their time, market each of their patches well etc...but, they are successful too. So the aswer to the Thread is, updates should come as often as they are needed.