Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 at 2M boxes sold, MOP double?

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Fion

According to a new report by Lazard Capital Markets, an investment firm that tracks these numbers, MoP has sold 600-700 thousand units in the last two days. This does not count digital sales but notes that digital sales will not make up for the poor retail performance', suggesting it sold less than this digitally as far as they have tracked.

As the Nadia above notes, that is an exreme drop from previous expansions where up until now each expansion has outsold the last in terms if 'first day' sales.

I guess the OP's prediction didn't exactly come true.

Edit: Forgot to link the report.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

Nailed it? image

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Lets see.

WoW = Players willing to pay for  the game + pay a sub + spend in the store. Wow goes from 10mil subs to 9mil and is how old? Even if its 6mil that 6mil all spening a min of $15/month.

Gw = Players willing to pay for the game + wont pay a sub + 70% of the people polled on this site said they wont be spending in the store. GW1 had the same profit as CoH. GW1 sold 7mil  copies but never released how many concurrent players they had other than the 400k GW2 had but oddly we haven't heard anything since then.

Sorry but if this is a pissing contest the GW2 fans are drenched in panda fluids atm.

When GW2 has been around for the same amount of time as WoW then lets do the comparisons at that point.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Vhaln

According to a new report by Lazard Capital Markets, an investment firm that tracks these numbers, MoP has sold 600-700 thousand units in the last two days. This does not count digital sales but notes that digital sales will not make up for the poor retail performance', suggesting it sold less than this digitally as far as they have tracked.

As the Nadia above notes, that is an exreme drop from previous expansions where up until now each expansion has outsold the last in terms if 'first day' sales.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

Nailed it? image

Dude, what are you talking about.   MoP is DD..   you are taking estimates from an analysts?  Gimme a break..  wait until Blizz announces..  3M minimum.  servers are packed, they had to offer free server transfers because there were queues again.    You ´nailed´ an analyst.. congrats.    Who would buy a physical box except if you like the box..  everyone DD and was playing at midnight rather than at a store.

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72
    After being a veteran in wow since beta 8+ years ago I decided to give GW2 a try and close my WoW account. Never has I been so annoyed and disapointed over a game as I've been over GW2. I have many MMOs on my PC but I will for sure go back to WoW after spending my time in GW2 which to me was just... terrible and annoying.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Of course WoW will sell more boxes than GW2 until GW2 reaches about the same active playerbase. Try to compare WoW to EQ or something and it is fair.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

Lets see.

WoW = Players willing to pay for  the game + pay a sub + spend in the store. Wow goes from 10mil subs to 9mil and is how old? Even if its 6mil that 6mil all spening a min of $15/month.

Gw = Players willing to pay for the game + wont pay a sub + 70% of the people polled on this site said they wont be spending in the store. GW1 had the same profit as CoH. GW1 sold 7mil  copies but never released how many concurrent players they had other than the 400k GW2 had but oddly we haven't heard anything since then.

Sorry but if this is a pissing contest the GW2 fans are drenched in panda fluids atm.

When GW2 has been around for the same amount of time as WoW then lets do the comparisons at that point.

It is more complicated than that, only western players pay $15 for Wow, Chinese players have an account they cash up money on and each hour cost 9 cents. And we have no real rate on how many of Wow players that live in China since after 2009 when they said half lived there in PC gamer.

Still, GW2 will earn in less money for each player than Wow, but then again earning more money does not make a game better, TOR also earns more money for each player and so does Mortal online.

I just dont see the use of comparing games like this, and it would be slightly fairer to compare MOP with GW2s 4th expansion or Vanilla Wow and GW2 but that would still be rather off.

Wow do great, GW2 do fine so far but we will see how things work out with it later.

Comparing MOP with CATA is somewhat more useful... But with no official numbers that is just guesses anyways.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ambros1234
    WoW is going to annihilate any game out there in sales... no ifs ands or buts about that.  So who fking cares that as usual they beat other titles in sales like they've done evey time in the past?

Not forever, nothing lasts forever. But Wow is still large and assuming that a newly released game can beat Wows latest expansion sales is neither fair nor realistic.

But many people assume Wow always will be the largest MMO and that is kinda like people who have a "Hanson" tattoo, they thought that group would be a huge classic they would love forever.... Times and people change and nothing lasts forever beside death and taxes.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552
    Originally posted by Azrile
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Nailed it? image

Dude, what are you talking about.   MoP is DD..   you are taking estimates from an analysts?  Gimme a break..  wait until Blizz announces..  3M minimum.  servers are packed, they had to offer free server transfers because there were queues again.    You ´nailed´ an analyst.. congrats.    Who would buy a physical box except if you like the box..  everyone DD and was playing at midnight rather than at a store.

Lazard Capital Markets are highly rated for accuracy, http://biz.yahoo.com/a/9/93886.html They can never be 100% accurate but the figure they claim is very likely to be in the ball park.

You cannot be sure of any numbers quoted by Activision-Blizzard, independent sources are always more trustworthy. Publicly traded companies will always fudge and disguise the success or failure of a product as much as possible in order to maintain the best image possible for the markets.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

I just listed the numbers from the most recent report, pretty much virbatim. No pissing match here. I'm a fan of one and not so much the other (Quit during Northrend), but I've never seen the point of the tribalism that goes on here.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I think looking at this the answer to the OPs question is probably no .

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Its difficult to tell but it appears MoP and GW2 might be in a close race for units solds and digital downloads upon release . I wouldn't like to bet either way what will sell best in its initial week or month.

But it appears MoP has failed to double what GW2 sold . (if accurate) It may even fail to match GW2 sales .

Originally posted by roo67

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Its difficult to tell but it appears MoP and GW2 might be in a close race for units solds and digital downloads upon release . I wouldn't like to bet either way what will sell best in its initial week or month.

But it appears MoP has failed to double what GW2 sold . (if accurate) It may even fail to match GW2 sales .

MoP has been sold primarily through DD.  This is the first expansion where it was available from battlenet.  Those articles are clueless because they are comparing against Cata which was 100%  retail sales.  I really think the number of people who bought a physical box is the vast minority.. it was just so easy to buy it in advance and be ready to play at midnight.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by roo67

MoP has been sold primarily through DD.  This is the first expansion where it was available from battlenet.  Those articles are clueless because they are comparing against Cata which was 100%  retail sales.  I really think the number of people who bought a physical box is the vast minority.. it was just so easy to buy it in advance and be ready to play at midnight.

Are you in NA? because i've bought all the Xpacs online from blizzard

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Mists_of_Pandaria

Looking at wikipedia if it is correct . MoP sales are 50 percent down on Cata in the first 24 hours . If true that means MoP not only failed to double GW2 sales it may have even failed to match them . At best we those figures they would be at a level pegging . Which is increadibly bad given WoW is an established game and GW2 is not .

Still too soon to call but I think the sales are going to be very disapointing and very worrying for Blizzard .

Heads will roll I would think in the near future .

• boenboyboenboy Member Posts: 5
    No idea how many they sold yet, but I expect around 7-8 millions in the next 1-2 months. Everything else would be a disappointment since they always say, they have around 9 million payin subscribers.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I live in Australia and managed to get every WoW expansion as DD, not sure where you guys got that this is the first DD. the truth is that retail usually accounts for 60-70% of sales, and MoP has only sold 700,000 so far, so it probably hasn't even beaten GW2 yet. Maybe it will when people get the urge to play old characters after the initial disappointment wears off.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Lets be honest, it still hasn't done very well, otherwise Blizzard would be bragging already like they have done so in the past.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by boenboy
    No idea how many they sold yet, but I expect around 7-8 millions in the next 1-2 months. Everything else would be a disappointment since they always say, they have around 9 million payin subscribers.

That's just plain unrealistic. Cataclysm had supremely high sales, yet it was only roughly over 1/3 of the total playerbase of the time (4.7 out of 11+ million, I believe?). Expecting any of the expansions to sell to nearly 80% of the playerbase is plain ridiculous.

Or was I thinking about the first 24 hours?

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by boenboy

That's just plain unrealistic. Cataclysm had supremely high sales, yet it was only roughly over 1/3 of the total playerbase of the time (4.7 out of 11+ million, I believe?). Expecting any of the expansions to sell to nearly 80% of the playerbase is plain ridiculous.

Or was I thinking about the first 24 hours?

Let's not forget that there are only around 4.5mill subbed customers, the rest of the numbers are made up by asian players using the pay-per-hour system who don't buy expansions, so the most they could have sold initially would have to have been within that 4.5mill base, but it is a wait and see thing at the moment.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Lets be honest, it still hasn't done very well, otherwise Blizzard would be bragging already like they have done so in the past.

The first 24hr sales numbers are usually released by Blizzard about 10-14 days after the launch of an expansion.  We are on day 7 right now, and they have never released them that early.  Nice try though.  Maybe by next wednesday we can begin to question it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by evilastro

The first 24hr sales numbers are usually released by Blizzard about 10-14 days after the launch of an expansion.  We are on day 7 right now, and they have never released them that early.  Nice try though.  Maybe by next wednesday we can begin to question it.

you are wrong -- here are sources and dates

Press releases:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?page=2

12/07 :Cata launch

12/13: Cata  24hour sales -- 6 days later

11/13:  LK launch

11/20  LK 24 hours sales - 7 days later

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Aori
    People are confused, this is the first expansion they offered DD of the CE which is going to skew things bit. I'm welling to bet people who didn't wanna fork over 80 bucks for a box CE may have done 60 for the DE as its the price of a regular retail game.

i agree

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    The numbers are out. Pandaria has sold 2.7 million copies in its first week and is the game is back over 10k subscribers. This is still quite substantially poor sales compared to the previous two expansions. WotLK sold 2.8 million units in the first 24 hours, and Cataclysm sold 3.3 million units in the first 24 hours and each added significantly to that number over the first week.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    GW2: +2 Million sales  - 2nd week, EU + USWoW MOP: ~2.7 Million sales  - 1st week,  EU + US + KR + TW + RU + BR/PT + Latin American regions 

Just curious but did ncsoft blocked sales to "KR + TW + RU + BR/PT + Latin American regions" ?Because if not then there is no difference between markets.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I wonder how many people are going to find themselves with the same feeling I had. The last time I tried playing WoW, after enjoying TSW and GW2, going back to WoW just felt...dated beyond words. I imagine there are people who are hopelessly attached to the game, but I'm surprised that the game still has the numbers it does given how many games are out there that are simply better in almost every way, both with and without subs.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Cyrael
    I wonder how many people are going to find themselves with the same feeling I had. The last time I tried playing WoW, after enjoying TSW and GW2, going back to WoW just felt...dated beyond words. I imagine there are people who are hopelessly attached to the game, but I'm surprised that the game still has the numbers it does given how many games are out there that are simply better in almost every way, both with and without subs.

Well, I was personally going to download the WoW Starter Edition and check out the Pandas. I figured that since my Cataclysm review is going absolutely nowhere (Reviews are surprisingly hard to start), that I would convert it into a first impressions of Mists of Pandaria, or at least the Panda starting zone.