Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Bothered Me Most About NGE...The Senator Shills

Remember when the player senate was flown out to SOE and they were shown the NGE ahead of its release? And those gently caressing Player Senators fell down at SOE's feet and thanked them for something so beautiful? This same beautiful thing that would drive 90% of the players out of the game? What the hell was up with that? Stockholm Syndrome?

Not one of those loving Senators said, "DO NOT WANT!"

Comments

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    You must have been holding that in for a while.
  • OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

I took some ex-lax and it just came out lol.

Seriously though, it is something I have wondered. Did the Senators genuinely like what they saw, or was it more a matter of no feeling free to criticise, seeing as how they were on SOE's turf? Or [conspiracy] payoffs. [/conspiracy]

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Not all the senators were privy to the NGE before its disastrous launch and many hated it as much as the majority of the playerbase. Yes, there were a few that felt $OE could do no wrong, but they were well recognized for the shills they were long before the NGE went live. image

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by OSF8759

Remember when the player senate was flown out to SOE and they were shown the NGE ahead of its release? And those gently caressing Player Senators fell down at SOE's feet and thanked them for something so beautiful? This same beautiful thing that would drive 90% of the players out of the game? What the hell was up with that? Stockholm Syndrome?

1. the Senate didn't exist in the CU...you are referring to the Player Corrispondent program.

2. None of them were allowed, per a NDA to discuss whatever they Might have been shown...pro or con...to the player base until it was released.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by hipiap 1. the Senate didn't exist in the CU...you are referring to the Player Corrispondent program. 2. None of them were allowed, per a NDA to discuss whatever they Might have been shown...pro or con...to the player base until it was released.

Point one, I remember the Senate existing at that time, but I'll take your word for it as it's been a damn long time and you seem to know your poo poo.

Point two, I remember the correspondents/senators/whatever coming out to say they liked what SOE showed them with the NGE. Forums gone, impossible to research, but I remember it bothering me at the time that seemingly none had told SOE they were taking the game in the wrong direction.

Oh gawd this is such an old issue, but I was reminiscing about my overall MMO experience as a result of considering retiring from MMOs altogether (MMOs are just loving poo poo compared to conventional video games) and this has been one of those "mysteries" that bugged me back then.

I think I'll try to research it further, but I don't think the information is out there to be had anymore. I remember it one way (I was bothered at the time, and that bother wasn't over nothing), but human memory is very fallible so...research needed.

P.S. Remember that post on the fourms from a player that described a set of changes to the game that ended up being eerily similar to what the NGE was? That post was so creepy and dead-on accurate.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Get over it or do something about it.
  • benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Woosh.....
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

The senators were just a bunch of spineless SOE - yes - men.

Pathetic.

Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Pathetic.

Say's the woman that was not picked to be the Role Play senator or the Chronicles Senator.

• barrkbarrk Member Posts: 24

Pathetic.

we all still laugh at you to this very day

QQMOAR

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

In the end, the only thing that still bugs me is we were shown in game, working footage of capitol ships being boarded, hijacked and piloted in space. People were freakin out it looked so badass. And then it got cut and was never to be spoken of again.

Originally posted by barrk

Pathetic.

we all still laugh at you to this very day

But on the inside you're crying cause you know I'm right. As usual.

Originally posted by hipiap

Pathetic.

Say's the woman that was not picked to be the Role Play senator or the Chronicles Senator.

Yeah right. Being a Senator muppet was your wet dream.

Pathetic.

No...really..

Tell me what you think of your opinion....cause I can't hear you over the sound of you fapping your ego.

Pathetic.

No...really..

Tell me what you think of your opinion....cause I can't hear you over the sound of you fapping your ego.

Read the SOE forums if you've forgotten.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

One of the big "flags" for me was the fact that senators were offered free subs and a host of other free bits, to tow the company line.

This made them defacto part time employees, who sold themselves cheap.

And least in the oldest days, most of the Correspondents (some of whom knew more about the ins and outs of their respective professions than the devs did) had the integrity to quit behind the CU and NGE changes.

The senators in the NGE era, lapdogs....

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I really liked the NGE. Pre-NGE was a grindfest and I do not see why so many people enjoyed it.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Kazara
    Not all the senators were privy to the NGE before its disastrous launch and many hated it as much as the majority of the playerbase. Yes, there were a few that felt $OE could do no wrong, but they were well recognized for the shills they were long before the NGE went live. image

Exactly.

• barrkbarrk Member Posts: 24

Pathetic.

hey jml why don't you post on pswg anyomre? scared?

QQMOAR

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

This is not exactly how I remember it.  Many correspondents simply offered "no comment," either due to the NDA or maybe a case of  "If you can't say something nice . . ."  But clearly, they weren't fauning over what they saw.  At least one - I believe was the BH rep, though my memory is unclear -was very vocal in opposition to the point of being fired and replaced by someone more acceptable to management.

Sure, there were shills, but I don't recall it quite like "Invaders of the Body Snatchers" as you describe.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

I took some ex-lax and it just came out lol.

It smells that way.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I really liked the NGE. Pre-NGE was a grindfest and I do not see why so many people enjoyed it.

If all you did was grind pre-nge then you completely missed the point.  Grinding was part of it, but grinding is part of every mmo.  If all you did was grind a prof then start on the next then yea I can see why you wouldn't have enjoyed it.  

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Up until the NGE I had no idea the Senate was a thing... I was too busy playing the game to hit the forums. Nov 15th 2005 is when I became a forum member, and thus, got to see the shills at work :(

And to echo Trauger, if you were just grinding Pre-NGE... you were not actually playing SWG. You were just looking at it.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Burntvet

One of the big "flags" for me was the fact that senators were offered free subs and a host of other free bits, to tow the company line.

And least in the oldest days, most of the Correspondents (some of whom knew more about the ins and outs of their respective professions than the devs did) had the integrity to quit behind the CU and NGE changes.

I was never once given free time from SOE for being a Srenator - infact I never got anything special from them.

The only time I (along with a few others from here) got free time was after the Feb 22 earthquake here in Christchurch in 2011.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Obraik
    Originally posted by Burntvet

I was never once given free time from SOE for being a Srenator - infact I never got anything special from them.

The only time I (along with a few others from here) got free time was after the Feb 22 earthquake here in Christchurch in 2011.

Then that makes you the exception. Most other Senators did.

TUX was good enough to provide details on the how the system for game boosters worked.

And didn't they send you a box of swag for hosting an SWG event in the UK?

That doesn't sound like "I never got anything special."