Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else not hyped to go and play a Panda? Or is it just me?

godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
I dont know if its the thought of revisiting burned out content or the opportunity of Panda play, but theres something about this expansion that really doesnt make going back that attractive....

---

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

If you're looking for a recommendation, then you have one from me.  The game is absolutely gorgeous, the quests are much better than Cataclysm (flow much better and have good story elements; I particularly liked being trained in a monastery), and it just seems like there is roughly five times the things to do at max level than in the past.

There are still "filler quests" inbetweens stories to get to the main parts, but there are 5-10 stories (with blues at the end) in each zone as opposed to one giant story you have to finish one by one to get to the next.

Quite honestly it has the exploration of Vanilla, the challenge of TBC (challenge modes especially along with justice items being less than heroic items again) and the ease of access of Wrath all rolled into one.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    There's numerous Panda hate threads I think you could have tacked this on the end of. So yeah i think there are people that feel that way but i'd venture a guess you knew that already.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I don't mind pandas.  I just have no interest in an expansion that focuses on them.  Just like I wouldn't have bought Cata if it was titled Rise of the Worgen and focused mainly on them.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Nevermind.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by grimal

Wow.  I just launched up the game client (which I downloaded earlier yesterday).  The graphics look so dated.  I was playing GW2 earlier and WoW looks like Minecraft in comparison.

Uninstall.

that happened to me 2 years ago, but you get used to the WOW graphics after a day or two

for anyone on the fence,

I recommend downloading the free WOW stater edition -- roll a panda and make your own impressions

https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Wow.  I just launched up the game client (which I downloaded earlier yesterday).  The graphics look so dated.  I was playing GW2 earlier and WoW looks like Minecraft in comparison.

Uninstall.

I question what this brought to the discussion; it either shows extreme ignorance or a trollish nature.

Oh, hey!  I judged a post by it's initial look.

that happened to me 2 years ago, but you get used to the WOW graphics after a day or two

for anyone on the fence,

I recommend downloading the free WOW stater edition -- roll a panda and make your own impressions

https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

The best way is indeed to try it.  Though I wouldn't call the pandaren starting area to be the best example of what the game has to offer.  Jade forest in general was fairly entertaining, as was Valley of Four Winds.  They encompassed what WoW is and how it's evolved, while also learning from past mistakes made in Cataclysm.   :3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Nah, it's not just you.  WoW in general is been there done that to me, no new race is going to change that......

Wait..... that's a lie.  If they introduce a TUSKAR playable race, I will once again pay homage to Blizzard royalty.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         I haven't played WoW in a couple years, but it seems like the lore is going off the deep end.....I guess its a natural occurrance when you release enough expansions (just ask EQ).....
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I'm really enjoying my panda.  The Wandering Isle quests were great, and the zones very atmospheric.
  • Cadman07Cadman07 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Mop and interests me in no way shape or form still the game that made me want to quit instead of just falling off because of population a turd is still a turd even if it's been shined
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I am not hyped to play any game that the main focus of leveling is questing.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Uninstall.

Shallow judgment. WoW also runs a hundred times smoother, and basic animations are arguably better (jump, strafe, etc.) . Also they can't be measured graphically together, as WoW is over stylized and shouldn't be judge graphically, rather tastefully.

Minecraft shouldn't even be brought up, the game is a testiment to wonderful programming, proof that graphics are only skin deep. 

On topic:

No, I think it is a silly race to make play-able. However as an expansion aside from that, I think Blizzard took a big risk, and the expansion turned out great (SO FAR!). My only explantion of it is picture Nagrand, as a continent, and oriental themed.  Now throw in better story telling to the questing, and even funner quests and the leveling experience is fun.

I will not comment on the end game yet. As the last expansion was atrocious, lets see if blizz learned from it. Wotlk was great, but they did make the raids/heroics a bit too easy from B/C. Though Wotlk had some of the most interesting Lore-wise end game.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

If you used to play WoW, but left because of the direction it was going, in terms of game design, then there is no reason to play MoP.  Blizzard is still simplifying it for the sake of attracting newer, younger, players.

If you liked the direction Blizzard was going, but felt they weren't taking it there fast enough, the MoP is probably a great expansion for you.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

If you used to play WoW, but left because of the direction it was going, in terms of game design, then there is no reason to play MoP.  Blizzard is still simplifying it for the sake of attracting newer, younger, players.

If you liked the direction Blizzard was going, but felt they weren't taking it there fast enough, the MoP is probably a great expansion for you.

Yeah, gone are the days of Raid bosses taking months to be downed first. Now  it is hours. The talent system is also shallower, but I don't think the old system was too hard for newcomers... Anyone with google could figure out what to do. A side from Raids and Heroics though, the game is still very much the same. PvP is possibly more complex do to the balance of the years on PvP gear, and how it is obtained easier (leveling the playing field a bit more). 

• HazzieHazzie Member Posts: 15

I was tempted to buy the new x-pac and re-sub. I have 4 85s to level up, and was also contemplating leveling a Pandaren monk (You don't say). 

I decided against it for a multitude of reasons, mainly I'm just not interested in what was brought to the table in the expansion. I don't really care to go into detail as my reasons are mine alone and everyone is different, but it's just more of the same old same old.

Malibu Stacey has a new hat, if you're into The Simpsons references.

So to answer the OP, I wasn't hyped to play a panda or upgrade to MoP for that matter, maybe when things die down or over the winter when I get extremely bored, but not likely.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Man, I hear you. The thing is, the recent releases have simplified beyond WoW. Some newer games make WoW seem complex interms of option in how to approach and engage an enemy. Plus Wpvp is in pandaland, no joke.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Goll25

Shallow judgment. WoW also runs a hundred times smoother, and basic animations are arguably better (jump, strafe, etc.) . Also they can't be measured graphically together, as WoW is over stylized and shouldn't be judge graphically, rather tastefully.

That's not quite fair.  You absolutely can judge ANY game that chooses relatively low poly counts.  Blizzard artists do a great job with the limitations of the engine, but you can make stylized assets with much higher poly counts as well.  They have low poly counts because they want the game to work on low end machines.  The art is a byproduct of a design choice.

Personally I enjoy visuals in WOW, but I realize that a lot of people don't like the style and/or the relatively low poly count.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its not the Panda's it the general down grading of WoW from being interesting and taking thought to a brainless "Bash this raid for a while before we make you obsolete and bash another raid for free gear" game. I don't mind the Pandas at all and its stupid to really do so. If your going to dislike it, dislike it for the fact that WoW is pretty much the big joke in the MMO world for making all the wrong decisions and ensuring any bit of good it has slowly dwindles away and the game kills itself. 

Its not a good thing when I feel Lotro is more appealing to me then Wow, and I dislike Lotro a lot and use to actually enjoy WoW a long time ago.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by phantomghost
    I am not hyped to play any game that the main focus of leveling is questing.

All I've been doing on my rogue is GANKING and GATHERING, and I've gained 2 levels.

On my druid, I alternated between healing/tanking instances. No questing at all, haven't even done the starting quest to get to the new continent.

Tried a few BGs as well, got more for completing that than for an instance.

So yeah, you're pretty clueless, huh?

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Goll25

That's not quite fair.  You absolutely can judge ANY game that chooses relatively low poly counts.  Blizzard artists do a great job with the limitations of the engine, but you can make stylized assets with much higher poly counts as well.  They have low poly counts because they want the game to work on low end machines.  The art is a byproduct of a design choice.

Personally I enjoy visuals in WOW, but I realize that a lot of people don't like the style and/or the relatively low poly count.

Well what I mean is that graphically WoW shouldn't be compared to GW2 as the Devs have to completely different art directions. It's like Borderlands to Battlefield 3. It's not a matter of graphics/polycount, but style. WoW is not meant to look photo-realistic, but rather cartoony. 

Wow's graphics do not look dated, DoaC, Darkfall etc, do. But the direction of WoW stands the test of time, because it is not meant to be looked at impressively realistic, but cartoonish. Even yet they get updated with every expansion, and looks great now Maxed out. (as a kick, WoW is DX11 compatible while GW2 is DX9)

What I'm saying is it is like judging an Impressionist Painting too a High Reinosance one. Yeah they are both paintings, but  to compare them on the shallowness of looks is totally missing the point and really they shouldn't be.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

Words from friends that rejoined is that its a solid wow expansion, the levelling is better, the dungeons fits well, the new activities are fun, with the exception of scenarios and it sounds like its made for the players that enjoy the themepark style that wow offers. 

They also told me that I would probably hate it, because I am tired of wow-combat, questing and dungeon running, and look for a very different experience.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Zero interest in going back to WoW, Pandas or no Pandas, Monks or no Monks. What I found fun has long since left the over-simplified, easy mode, outdated WoW behind.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Pandas are cute <3

Monk class is cool <3

Thus Mop is <3<3

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    So when can I play as a Jedi?
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Why would you need to be hyped to play a game, surely know thy self and play what you know you like.