Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF good sandbox

patsfan32patsfan32 Member Posts: 31

I have not been able to find a game that has kept my attention since FF 11, since 2008 I have tried just about every themepark MMO to release between then and now and after 4 long years I have finally realised I am over themeparks, I need a good sandobx game to play but i do not know where to start.

Games like Xsyon interest me however most do not have free trials, so is there any games out there that I can try and are worth the time? Or do I have to wait for the new darkfall cause that seems like it may interest me based off the limited information I have seen.

Any helpful nudge in a direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    check out www.relpor.com
  • SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

There was a great one back at my elementary school, thing was huge and I found a yin yang in there one time.

If you're over 5 years old I wouldn't recommend it though, the community is a bit immature.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Since GW2 let me down, I've been wating for ArchAge and Final Fantasy 14 2.0. At this point, i think I'll play FF14 as soon as it comes in the mail within the next few days. It's rediculous how game devs keep making these lack luster MMOs. It's even more obsurd how long it's taking people to notice how mediocre some of these newly released games are.
  • intruder73intruder73 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by virindi1
    check out www.relpor.com

This is nothing more than Ultima Online. And while UO was the apex of custom player housing it has seen better days. And except for a few die hard loyal fans it is pretty much dead.

For current mmo sandbox style games EVE is a good a safe bet. While it too is a very old game, they have continuously updated the content and graphics. The ships are very customizable to your play style and it has a very free form style of play.

And as for Darkfall Unholy Wars: Since it is not out yet I can not speak for DFUW but I can speak for Darkfall. I would first like to issue a brief warning for DF and I assume will be the same for DFUW. If you play this game be prepaired, it will ruin every other rpg out there. This is the first MMO that I have ever played that actually gives me an adrinalin rush. Even the most mundaine tasks such as traveling is dangerous. Players can not only attack other players at almost any time and if they kill you they can take everything you are carring. Also they have sieges, an alliance of guilds can attack the city of another alliance or guild. There is nothing more exciting than riding with 30-50 other players to a distant city to attack it. 

Also, Darkfall is also hybrid style game in that it is not only is it a RPG but also a FPS. There is no "tab and click" combat here. Combat is an inticate dance of player skills. A dance in which I often stumble over my own feet and get killed

• patsfan32patsfan32 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by intruder73
    Originally posted by virindi1
    check out www.relpor.com

This is nothing more than Ultima Online. And while UO was the apex of custom player housing it has seen better days. And except for a few die hard loyal fans it is pretty much dead.

For current mmo sandbox style games EVE is a good a safe bet. While it too is a very old game, they have continuously updated the content and graphics. The ships are very customizable to your play style and it has a very free form style of play.

And as for Darkfall Unholy Wars: Since it is not out yet I can not speak for DFUW but I can speak for Darkfall. I would first like to issue a brief warning for DF and I assume will be the same for DFUW. If you play this game be prepaired, it will ruin every other rpg out there. This is the first MMO that I have ever played that actually gives me an adrinalin rush. Even the most mundaine tasks such as traveling is dangerous. Players can not only attack other players at almost any time and if they kill you they can take everything you are carring. Also they have sieges, an alliance of guilds can attack the city of another alliance or guild. There is nothing more exciting than riding with 30-50 other players to a distant city to attack it. 

Also, Darkfall is also hybrid style game in that it is not only is it a RPG but also a FPS. There is no "tab and click" combat here. Combat is an inticate dance of player skills. A dance in which I often stumble over my own feet and get killed

Wellt hat sounds awesome to me as I need a game to actually feel like an epic adventure again and not just a constant treadmill.

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I think almost everyone is looking for a good sandbox these days. They just don't exist really.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by SkullyWoods

There was a great one back at my elementary school, thing was huge and I found a yin yang in there one time.

If you're over 5 years old I wouldn't recommend it though, the community is a bit immature.

Dude, I played that game.

Had good PVP but was pretty easy. I liked that it was full loot but the rexards were some loose change and old sandwiches. Not that I am "gear centric" but after winning battle after battle there really wasnt anything worth looting-

• cronos1013cronos1013 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by CayneJobb

I think almost everyone is looking for a good sandbox these days. They just don't exist really.

This has been the state of games since SWG went down the tubes with the combat rebalance.  There are no "well made" sandbox games other than Eve, and for most people, it really isn't what they're looking for.  The game I am most looking forward to is www.therepopulation.com.  It is currently in Alpha, but based on how things are going, it appears that we will have a US release before Archeage gets here.  RIght now it looks a lot like SWG, but with far more advanced player housing mechanics, and a team of developers who are VERY responsive to their team (like for the Alpha we hop on their vent and talk to the lead designers and owners themselves.)  I am a little dissapointed at their choice of the Hero Engine because like it or no, it looks like a 4 year old MMO, especially when one compares it to the things which are in the pipeline (like Archeage.)  I understand how having a prooven engine to run off does have a big effect for the development difficulty, and with a small dev team that really can mean the difference between an MMO getting made and not getting made, but still...

What this gaming community needs is a company to make a game like UO with similar, but not identical rules.  Having an open pvp/non-open pvp split in same server (like fel/tram in UO) to cater to both the hardcore/casual crowds was one of the most defining characteristics of the game and should be kept.  Having a complex enough crafting system (like early SWG had) complete with permanent item decay helps to ensure those players who choose to use that playstyle don't end up with nothing to do and it creates a playstyle for those who like to explore, and collect resources.  A housing system at least as badass as the one which helped to define UO, and a HUGE world inside which people can actually go exploring as opposed to the world being comprised of destinations and the difficult but short paths to get there (like every themepark game ever made) would also be important so the RPers and the decorators, and tons of people who are looking for exactly that in an MMO have something to do.  Going classess like UO (and The Repopulation) would be huge as well for giving players the freedom to be the characters they want to be, and not some cookie cutter class concept.  Finally (and possibly most imporantly) an up to date 3D engine such as the RIft engine or perhaps Cryengine like Archeage is using would be necessary for the game to get any traction.  Look at the press that Archeage is getting...and truth be told, a LOT of that is due to how it looks.  

Honestly, if a well funded developer had the courage to devote resources to a project like this, the desert that is the AAA sandbox market would have found it's Oasis.  It would need to do like CCP is doing with Eve and Blizzard is doing with Wow, and keep updating the engine, so as new MMO's come out in the future...it can go toe to toe with them graphically and doesn't ever look like it is a 5 year old game.  That is what killed UO, the lack of forward thinking management who insisted on the updating of the game client itself.  

Over at Mythic, they have been hinting at UO 2.0 forever now, but with the state of how things are over there...I'm not holding my breath, and it doesn't appear that any developers are willing to put their resources into making such a game.  

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I played FFXI for 2 years myself and jumped from themepark to themepark after Abyssea.  Nothing ever stuck.  I'm playing Eve now and really like it.  It takes a bit of persistence at the beginning but is fun once you get into a good corporation and start learning the game.  Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you would like a free 21 day trial.  It's worth a try.  I'm not a big PvP fan but love the group PvP tactics in Eve. 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Baldurs Gate---------Just kidding someone said to me that was a sand box game I said WTF.

How about Mine craft, or perhaps the new Salem. although Fallen Earth is really a Theme park it has sand box elements but for pure sand box I recomend Ryzom-skill based, building blocks, harvesting , excellent crafting, can combing magic with melle and be good at both, great tutorial, build your own world (with in limits) Or although I hated it you can try Istara which is another pure sand box

• HarveyHeskoHarveyHesko Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking forward to Origins of Malu for a little while. I saw their work at the Alienware Arena during Pax this past month and they look to have awesome potential in the MMO/Sandbox industry.
  • kajmir101kajmir101 Member Posts: 9

Untrue.

Try Wurm online.

It's more sandbox then any game I've seen in 17 years of gaming.

However, It has a harsh learning curve and it's still rather alpha:

- Bugs to be fixed

- Lack of character customization (Coming Dec 2012)

But they must be doing something right as the player base IS growing consistantly and it's easy to find a large number of long time players still online.

Originally posted by kajmir101

Untrue.

Try Wurm online.

- Bugs to be fixed

But they must be doing something right as the player base IS growing consistantly and it's easy to find a large number of long time players still online.

I think what people are looking for is a playable and complete sandbox game...wurm is arguably not even close to be finished.  While the engine functions, they are still using awful textures for most objects, clunky animations, and unfinished gameplay...this doesn't count no matter how many people are playing it.   

• kajmir101kajmir101 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by cronos1013

Untrue.

Try Wurm online.

- Bugs to be fixed

I think what people are looking for is a playable and complete sandbox game...wurm is arguably not even close to be finished.  While the engine functions, they are still using awful textures for most objects, clunky animations, and unfinished gameplay...this doesn't count no matter how many people are playing it.   

Wurm is unpolished, no question about that.

However, it is playable and good games are never complete as they receive new content.

Textures, charater customization and animation are getting a revamp - deadline is dec, 2012.

If you need eye candy, keep looking.

Other option is wait for salem to come out of closed beta.

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94

as someone said earlier, Darkfall Unholy Wars will probably be a very, very wise choice.

I'm stuck with the problem that I cannot find any game that can live up to the mmo experience Darkfall has given me trough thi time,s resulting in me just playing other games for roughly a week while waiting for 'DF UW.  Buying all these new games is becoming expensive aswell. I would ofcourse play Darkfall but since UW is out in just over a month it'l be of little point (to me atleast)

• DragFireDragFire Member Posts: 16
    Darkfall is a sanbox but lack the variety or different endgame that UO has. It's only PvP (zergfest) with full loot, pretty awesome but  lacks other content than pvp.

EVE Online is the only solid sandbox out there
    Originally posted by DragFire
    Darkfall is a sanbox but lack the variety or different endgame that UO has. It's only PvP (zergfest) with full loot, pretty awesome but  lacks other content than pvp.

EVE Online is the only solid sandbox out there

It's sad, but I have to agree with DragFire, there are plenty of sandbox games out there, but none of them are as polished as many of us would like.  Having tried nearly every one available (even almost all the ones you've gotta pay for,) I find that they all feel clunky or unfinished in one way or another, or run on such an old engine, they don't hold my interest any longer.  I find that I'm tired of playing unfinished games, and really wish a major player (like CCP, or SOE, or Trion, or Mythic, or any of a number of well funded well staffed development houses) would come to the table and publish a non space based sandbox (no offence to Eve,) regardless of whether or no it was high fantasy, or post apocalypse, or any number of settings, I just kind of want to experience a game that is structured like UO was, with a more in depth crafting and social system like pre-CU SWG, but made with an engine which doesn't feel like it was written in 1995.  

Currently, Eve is the only sandbox which doesn't have huge holes in it's development, mostly due to it's age, although CCP has continually updated it's flagship product.  It's fun, especially when you've been playing for a while and can fly a ton of different things, (I've got like 49M SP now) but it lacks in much of the draw that games focused on avatars as opposed to internet space ships can have.  

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

Yup, Eve is your best bet to pick up now (free trial too)

Wurm is most 'sandy' but ugly as hell (free trial as well)

DF if you want to get a preview of DF:UW (the next game is free if you own original)

To look for in the future (by potential release dates):

DF:UW

The Repopulation

ArcheAge

Origins of Malu

Embers of Caerus (sp?)

Often lurking, rarely posting

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

Untrue.

Try Wurm online.

- Bugs to be fixed

Wurm, like Haven and hearth has potential( i know bout both as i played both over the years)  currently playing H&H even though it's a lagg riddled hacker's playground.  but this isn't bout H&H

Wurm, imo, takes to long to develop your character.  and on top of that everything seems dead or barron.  even on the PVP(epic) servers. yea peeps are chattin in there, but nothing is really going on.  If the Devs increased skill progression prolly 200+% I could go back, but the fact still remains it's like a ghost town :(

everything just moves at a too slow pace in Wurm, as well as some of the animations and graphics and what not(content)  just need a Facelift.

(i never wanna stand on a horse again)

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless