Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DR hitting the players

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    What is the DR?
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I play around 3 to 4 hrs a day not every day but most days and sense the put in the DR I have only been hit by it once and that was on a new toon when I was unlocking Weapon skills I spent almost 3 hrs in the starting area after the story and you enter the real world. I was asked several times by players if I was botting and replyed nope just onlocking my weapon skills so I would not have to do it in higher lvl zones. Sense then I have not seen this DR at all but I am always moving around the maps and doing all sorts of things so. I dont spend any more time in an area then it takes to complete a DE or Renown heart.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• AbrexusAbrexus Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    What is the DR?

You get hit with a diminishing returns on exprience/karma/silver when completing events.  There is a lot of speculation as to what triggers this but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason and the developers have yet to make any statement.

I can say from personal expereince it hit me 3 times total and I am far from a power gamer.  My Necromancer is only level 20 as I only have dedicated time to play, and yet I still managed to get hit with this.  I think a developer response on the GW2 forums would at least help people understand what causes the issue and then we could give more direct feedback on what (if anything) may need to be changed.  At this time though it does seem to be a bit harsh as it affects many people with varied playstyles.

• Take care, young ladies, and value your wine.
    • Be watchful of young men in their velvet prime.
    • Deeply they'll swallow from your finest kegs,
    • Then swiftly be gone, leaving bitter dregs.
  • RizaunRizaun Member UncommonPosts: 30

I played over 350 hrs and hardly ever hit the DR, however, I stopped playing soon before they patched and worsened the DR. I have no reason to believe that the people in the forums is making stuff up. The DR is hitting some players pretty bad, some of them while doing an event chain just before they finish it. Fanboys are the ones calling them liars because they can't see that the game is very flawed, it was much better at launch.

I didn't think I'd ever have to request a refund.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    DR stands for????

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• RizaunRizaun Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    DR stands for????

Diminishing Returns.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

There have been loads of threads about DR going on for days without being locked down, they've just started locking them and referring people to a centralised thread, a much better way of keeping the info together for them to investigate and respond to.

The karma rewards DR is fair enough, loads of people got in to the habit of making minimum contributions to an event and moving on to the next without completing any, they still got the reward even though they didn't see it through, if you play like that now, yes you will hit DR and that makes sense. DE's weren't designed to be farmed by people trying to exploit them, they were meant to be completed. If you complete chains you'll be fine.

The issue I have, and to be fair I'm finding it hard to think of a good way around it, is that you can no longer farm the same spot for certain drops. For crafting I didn't mind killing mosquitoes for two to three hours to craft my next condition damage set, now I can't do that, makes crafting and self sufficiency a real pain, which is a shame, it's no longer possible to craft armour throughout your leveling with the stats you want, it took effort before but was doable. To do that now you'd have to spend coin on waypoints which are already too big a money sink in normal game play. It also means normal play through of an area of the same mob will see it kick in. It's a much too harsh anti-farming code for the regular player.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by saurus123

it only punish players that sit in spot killing same monster over and over

and players doing same DE over and over

played 5hours today and didnt get any kind of DR

Which is not true. If you do the long DE chains in Orr, so not repeating them, just following the chains, then the DR kicks in. Which is ridiculous IMHO......

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I typically go for 30 minute bursts of farming when its for crafting.  Usually nets me 40-50 of that specialized material such as blood or venom sacs n stuff like that.  As for leather n cloth, I typically get enough of those from just roaming around and doing DEs.  If I feel like theyre dropping less and less, I just farm something else that would get an equal amount of cash n trade it for what I need. o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Draftbeer
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

What are you referring to? Anti-farming? The anti-farming has been in there since launch, and GW1 had it as well, people need to figure out that they can't sit in the same spot for a long time and expect to get good loot.

Personally I've been getting some amazing loot lately, some rare weapons and a couple armor pieces.

I am a farmer, I did include map rotation, mob variety, even DEs.

Seems like the DR code just following me everywhere I go - my reward

is for dedication is decreased drop quality and quantity.

Even causal players can hit the DR cap after 30 minutes easily.

This is overkill and does not stop the bots in any way btw.

Sure, you are perfectly fine as long as you only play 29 minutes per day. /sarcasm

There has to be a bug in this system. I have yet to get DR even though on Saturday I spent 2 hours killing the same Mobs in a small area. It was 16 Charr that I killed over and over and never gor DR. Yet other people like yourself are getting DR in 30 minutes. The system is screwy.

• leon09leon09 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by saurus123

it only punish players that sit in spot killing same monster over and over

and players doing same DE over and over

played 5hours today and didnt get any kind of DR

Its people with this mentality that are adding to the problem. 

Personally i haven't been hit by DR apart from a few dungeons (luckily if i did 1 or 2 a day), but from reading the forums its made me not want to play my lvl 80 very much let alone try to gain any karma or try to work towards getting a legendary (thrown that thought out the window). Now im just lvling a few alts and try out other classes.

People need to realise before your not effect by the problem, it doesn't mean there isn't one. 

Here is a screenshots ive seen on the forums of an event i know for a fact you cannot farm, because it doesn't run often enough to be farmable. So people need to stop saying 'move to another area', because that has nothing to do with it from what im seeing and reading.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/9574/gw017.jpg

(Because a group of lvl 80 are going to be farming a lvl 15 zone right, never mind the fact this is a zone boss event that doesn't run every 15mins)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by 123443211234
    [mod edit]

No it is not. Your entire post is untrue.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

It doesn't even really matter if the DR kicks in after 30 minutes in a place or if it is because you are killing one type of mob (easy to do in Orr) or because you like to run one particular path of an explorable. There is no excuse for them trying to dictate the way I play my game. If I want to grind mobs then let me grind mobs if I want to grind tokens then let me grind tokens if I want to explore if I want to PvP if I want to do what every then that should be cool. Killing 1000 risen shouldn't be a wrong way to play. killing 1000 risen using a botting program is the problem . Punish the botters, not the boring people.

And if you are going to require hundreds or thousands of a rare item to make a legendary you really need to expect that people will farm. To expect differently is simply stupid.

All die, so die well.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I had it happen to me in Straits of Devastation earlier this week when I tagged along with a DE chain zerg of players that repeated the same four or five events. Once it kicked in I logged out to character select, logged back in immediately, and everything was back to normal.

I'm thinking the complaints are much ado about nothing.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by pierth
    I had it happen to me in Straits of Devastation earlier this week when I tagged along with a DE chain zerg of players that repeated the same four or five events. Once it kicked in I logged out to character select, logged back in immediately, and everything was back to normal.

Yesterdays patch stopped the ability to reset the DR by logging out. IT now seems to be account based and will keep you penalised for several hours across all your characters according to player reports.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by EvilGeek
    Yesterdays patch stopped the ability to reset the DR by logging out. It now seems to be account based and will keep you penalized for several hours across all your characters according to player reports.

I see, thanks for the correction. I can't say I agree with Anet on this policy but thankfully I have alts to play in different level ranges.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Haha fun fun, rewarding casual play hmm where did I see that before.. hmm oh yes WoW (rested xp bonus, dailies, lockouts).
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Official Response from ANet:

Jon Peters We thought we should put in our 2 cents as well.
    Guild Wars 2 is a game about freedom. We want you to be able to explore the world and engage in a huge variety of activities, focusing on whatever best suits your tastes.
    Some players have run into “diminishing returns” thresholds we put into the game to provide a safety net against unanticipated economy-breaking issues. We do have these thresholds in place, but it’s not our intention that normal players should ever run into them. We’ve recently had bugs and imbalances that have caused normal players to hit thresholds, and we’ll fix those.

These systems are put in place to protect the economy from botters and exploiters. We will close exploits as quickly as we can. These thresholds help create a safety net to keep the economy safe when we aren’t there to deal with the offender. It’s important to have a safety net in place. It would be bad for everyone if, for example, a group of players learned how to speed-clear a dungeon in 5 minutes, with full rewards each time, and then repeated that continuously. When one activity emerges that’s order of magnitudes more profitable than anything else in the game, it forces everyone to either engage in that activity or get priced out of the economy.
    While we need a safety net to stop unanticipated economy-breaking exploits and botting, we have no desire to stop farming. Farmers are a part every online economy and when they are doing normal game activity they do not cause any harm. If a player finds a normal game activity fun and would like to keep doing it, that’s fine with us.

Initially we have to rely on smaller data sets, instinct and some guesswork to find the correct cutoff. What this means is that some players are going to bump into the edges of these systems for a while as we get them sorted out. Please bear with us while we gather more data and lower the safety net until it’s only providing critical economy protection. Looking at the numbers this morning, we believe some of the threshold systems are just too harsh empirically and we’ll be adjusting those systems within the next few weeks to ensure that fewer legitimate players are being impacted.
    I hope this helps to explain why a game like this needs systems such as this to protect its economy. I also hope it gives some insight into our philosophy about botters (BAD) and exploiters (BAD) vs. farmers (GOOD). Thanks for your support and we will see you in game.

Jon

So yes some legitimate players are hitting the DR caps but also yes ANet is aware of the issue and taking action.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Sounds like patch today fixed some bugs with DR triggering too early/soon.

But this is life - and it is also war.

War against bots, spammers, hackers, cheaters...

The innocent always suffer in war.

If YOU can't farm the same dungeon or DE chain over and over legitimately, but at the same time if an automated BOT or gold farmer working with compromised accounts is stopped because of it - I'm all for it.

That whole "those who give up freedom for security deserve neither" or whatever quote is unrealistic, niave bullshit.

If you want to apply that statement to video games, fine.  But please don't pretend that quote is ignorant in it's true context.  Giving up rights is a slippery slope, and it's up to the government to protect the people without removing our rights.  Once you give them up, getting them back is next to impossible.

What you also end up with is what we have today.  Security Theater.  That's security that doesn't actually work, but still hinders you, the normal citizen, in some way.  Largely, that's all we have in this country.  That and our oceans.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    The thing is, no counter measure will stop botting. They will find a way. In the end, it only hurts players.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Yesterdays patch stopped the ability to reset the DR by logging out. It now seems to be account based and will keep you penalized for several hours across all your characters according to player reports.

I see, thanks for the correction. I can't say I agree with Anet on this policy but thankfully I have alts to play in different level ranges.

I believe it's account-based so your alts won't do you any good.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • FalstaffFalstaff Member UncommonPosts: 78
    how do you know you have been hit with DR?
  • camiacamia Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I believe it's account-based so your alts won't do you any good.

You misunderstand his contention. The DR is based on specific events, so if you continued to repeat the same dynamic event simply on the same character, you would be affected. However, having characters working on different zones (seeing as they're in different level ranges) this wouldn't be an issue.

From the '90s, raised on '80s, better deal with Golden Girls references!

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    A bit dissapointed to see they tried to just make it more harsh rather than find a solution that actually works. Reminds me of something.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Overall it had to be done.

With GW though its the kind of game i kind of enjoy playing, its a nice world and has good content..to an extent.  I just do not find myself caring what level, type of gear, area of map or any other content in GW2...making me feel interested.  For me its enjoyable just to log in (no sub) kill a few things, do an event or two and log off.  

Its a great themepark, best so far imo and the no sub cost makes it work for me, but by no means will i treat GW2 as my MMO, i would much rather be putting effort into something that in some way matters towards the game world.

Waiting on Darkfall UW, Repopulation, OoM.

DR isnt really a big deal.