Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout MMORPG?

XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
There is an article on Kotaku about Bethesda hireing Rich Vogel. Some people think it might be an indication of a Fallout mmorpg. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Fallout wouldn't work as a mmo

Post apocalypse wasteground and hundreds of other players running around just doesn't mix.

Also if it was being made, wouldn't zenimax online be making it.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

cant be bethusdia lost the law suit,  that means interplay gets to make it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by erictlewis

You got it other way around.  In the end Interplay gave Bethseda right, received some money for it though.

=============

I would totally play Fallout mmorpg  IF   it would be well made sandbox.   Cannot imagine starting zones with hundreads of players kiling radscorpions on a desert that if filled with hundreads of them "standing next to each other".

So preety challanging to do possibly Fallout mmorpg. 

PS. Fallout 1 & 2 fan.  Don't really like Bethseda Fallout, NR and Fallout Tactics (damn that was a trainwreck)

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Opps was wrong lol
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    No.  No mmorpg.  Im fine with Co op but not mmorpg. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85
    I for one think that Fallout is the perfect IP for a sandbox MMO.  Hundreds of other players running around in a wasteland?  Simple - A vault just opened up.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by fenistil

You got it other way around.  In the end Interplay gave Bethseda right, received some money for it though.

=============

I would totally play Fallout mmorpg  IF   it would be well made sandbox.   Cannot imagine starting zones with hundreads of players kiling radscorpions on a desert that if filled with hundreads of them "standing next to each other".

So preety challanging to do possibly Fallout mmorpg. 

PS. Fallout 1 & 2 fan.  Don't really like Bethseda Fallout, NR and Fallout Tactics (damn that was a trainwreck)

Yeah, in January 2012 Bethesda paid Interplay two million dollars for the MMO rights. Interplay no longer has any claim what so ever to the Fallout franchise. I look at this as a good thing as they never would have finished it anyways. Interplay is not the same company they were 15 years ago. Through very poor mismanagement Interplay is a train wreck of a company. There is no way they can produce any game let alone something with the scope of a MMO.

As for the thread topic... It makes perfect sense given the guy's background and the fact that on the new company's job listings they are looking for both FPS and Online experience. I suppose it could also be to develop some ID IP into a MMO as well but somehow I don't see either Doom or Rage being very adaptable to the MMO genre. I guess we will find out in about 2-3 years when they are ready to announce something.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If done right, it could be phenomenal.   Now you don't want a lot of people cramming up the wasteland, but voice chat over radio channels, custom radio stations, structures and technology re-evolving, a huge world to explore, and players joining factions like raiders, ghouls, brotherhood, mercenary groups, or loyalty to a town could be really really awesome.

The game would have to rely on phasing imo.  Group up with friends and you merge into the same phase, but otherwise the game would have to be instanced to a high degree and not just to a high degree, but with a level of precision that no mmo has accomplished yet, where zones feel 'right' with how many people are running around.

Also, what can help, or replace phasing would be an immense world where you are always competing for resources, and design the game so that the best way to compete is to find low pop areas, thus spreading the population out across the game world rather than having capitals and popular zones where players clump. 

Lots of factions, lots of territory, lots of stuff to scavenge in low pop areas, and real punishment for death, all while preventing large power disparities between casuals and hardcores, and I think it would be a winner.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by Xzen
    There is an article on Kotaku about Bethesda hireing Rich Vogel. Some people think it might be an indication of a Fallout mmorpg. What are your thoughts?

I really don't think this will turn out to be an MMO, despite Rich Vogel being attached.  Financially it doesn't make any sense.  And Bethesda has been on a tear recently buying up small developers, I wonder if Rich Vogel didn't already have something cooking in Austin and Bethesda just bought in.

This does hilight just how much BioWare continues to slip in the industry to Bethesda's rising star.  Interesting implications all around.  I still think TES:O will suck.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Post apocalypse wasteground and hundreds of other players running around just doesn't mix.

easy,

Vaults are the guilds / cities

many instanced big territories

full PVE content and vault vs vault PVP, arenas, pvp territories for pug /premade groups.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Instances and arena in a fallout mmo. :(
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What are the chances he's been brought in to work on Fallout 4?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Instances and arena in a fallout mmo. :(

Lol yeah that would suck big time......wouldn't it?....haha,,,,uh I just realized that Bethseda mean big mainstream mmo...suddenly my enthusiasm for Fallout mmo just evaporated :(

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

you are wrong, Bethesda did not lose the law suit what they did lose was an injuction to stop the development of the MMO. They did get the license back tho

Direct Quote from Fallout WIkia:

Legal dispute

Main article: Bethesda Softworks LLC v. Interplay Entertainment Corporation

On April 15, 2009, it was announced that Bethesda Softworks moved to rescind the Fallout MMORPG license. Interplay received notice from Bethesda that it intends to terminate the trademark license agreement, claiming that Interplay is in breach of the agreement for failure to commence full scale development by April 4, 2009 and to secure certain funding for the game. Interplay disputes these claims.

On July 15, 2009 Interplay's Project V13 developer Chris Taylor posted a reply on the Interplay website "Project V13" Forum thread refuting the claims that Interplay lost the rights to the Fallout MMORPG.

On September 8, 2009 Bethesda filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Interplay in the Maryland District Court.

On December 10, 2009 the Maryland District Court decided to deny Bethesda's request for preliminary injunction. Interplay is therefore able to continue development on the project until the case is finished.

On January 10, 2012 The Fallout® MMO rights were restored to Bethesda Softworks® in Interplay litigation. Project V13 is still promoted on the Interplay website, and Interplay can release it with all Fallout elements removed; however it is unlikely to see the light of day.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

And why would it not work? There's already hundreds of people in the wastelands. Bandits, hunters, scavengers, ghouls, mutants, citizens in every little town and tent formation, Brotherhood of Steel, Enclave... There's tons of people and groups and factions and whatnot.

Maybe it should be the long awaited big budget AAA-quality sandbox mmorpg.

Originally posted by Nitth

Slim to none. If it was Fallout 4 it would be a pretty safe bet that either Bethesda Softworks or Obsidian would be making it. They wouldn't go to all of the trouble of forming a new company when they already have 2 with previous experience working on single player Fallout games. The only way this could be a new Fallout game is if it's a MMO. That would require a new team as neither Bethesda Softworks or Obsidian have any experience with Massively Multiplayer gaming (or any interest in it either).

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Kuinn

And why would it not work? There's already hundreds of people in the wastelands. Bandits, hunters, scavengers, ghouls, mutants, citizens in every little town and tent formation, Brotherhood of Steel, Enclave... There's tons of people and groups and factions and whatnot.

That's what we all thought when we first heard about The Elder Scrolls Online as well and look at what we're getting...I wouldn't get too excited just yet if I were you.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by Nitth

Slim to none. If it was Fallout 4 it would be a pretty safe bet that either Bethesda Softworks or Obsidian would be making it. They wouldn't go to all of the trouble of forming a new company when they already have 2 with previous experience working on single player Fallout games. The only way this could be a new Fallout game is if it's a MMO. That would require a new team as neither Bethesda Softworks or Obsidian have any experience with Massively Multiplayer gaming (or any interest in it either).

Bren

Before the launch of World of Warcraft Blizzard didnt have any MMO experience either. CCP Games didnt have ANY video game experience at all. Yet both developed a MMO that people rave about to their friends and in online forums. Hell CCP Games has setup a team to create a 2nd MMO titled World of Darkness Online based on the Vampire the Masquerade franchise by White Wolf, Inc. Also Bethesda Softworks has stated there will be another Fallout Game in the works: "In 2008, Bethesda's Pete Hines said: "The whole reason we went out and acquired the license and that we now own Fallout is that we clearly intended to make more than one". He also added: "This is not something we're going to do once and then go away and never do it again. When that will be or how long that will be God only knows, but we acquired it specifically because we wanted to own it and develop it and work on it like we do with The Elder Scrolls""

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by Kuinn

That's what we all thought when we first heard about The Elder Scrolls Online as well and look at what we're getting...I wouldn't get too excited just yet if I were you.

Bren

I didnt think anything at all about TESO before some info was released. I always wait for info first, and rarely get hyped at all in any case.

It propably isnt the "sandbox messiah" if it's anything mmorpg related at all, since Fallout 4 is coming invetably,  but who knows. I'm merely saying that the setting would be very good and fitting for a mmorpg.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Never heard of Fallen Earth?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I wouldn't mind a Fallout MMO now that the current Fallen Earth devs proved that they are quite bad gamedesigners with their nooby design pitfalls.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    I wouldn't mind a Fallout MMO now that the current Fallen Earth devs proved that they are quite bad gamedesigners with their nooby design pitfalls.

I gave up on fallen earth before they went free to play, the devs could not figure out what dirrection they wanted to take the game, and had no clue of what they were doing.  I cam back after free to play, and well yes decided that I wanted nothing to do with gammers first.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

I think that Interplay finally lost the rights to the MMO few months ago.

This is definite sign of the future :)

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

In Entropia Universe you can play for 4 hours and meet just 1 - 2 ramdom person,all depends on the map size

Personaly i think FallOut is a wonderfull "sandbox" mmorpg material to the devs play with,clans building theyr own towns,the character build and progression is already there and is perfect in my opinion,background and lore is just a masterpiece etc..

The huge problem is not if Fallout is or not a mmorpg material,its about how the company will do it,any game that want to be more than a 1-2 months game only need to consider some aspects like

-Be a single server,just like EVE or Entropia Universe

-Use a decent combat system (TERA,Blade & Soul)

-Be a sandbox,finaly the mmorpg comunity realise that endgame is for single-player or multiplayer console titles

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174

Quote "The Fallout Online title was cancelled by Bethesda following their acquisition of the rights to the entire Fallout franchise. However, Interplay and Masthead Studios will continue to work on Project V13 but will remove any and all references to Fallout to honor the settlement"

http://www.1up.com/news/interplay-loses-rights-fallout-mmo

Too bad there was a lot of potental in a Fallout MMO =/

This discussion has been closed.