Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW worth 18 dollars a month subscription ?

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    alot of the Lifetimers i know love the game. sorry to hear that you bought something you didnt like, but im pretty sure the entire forum knows it by now so you can stop repeating yourself.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by smh_alot

I don't know were you are from but college in the US can be VERY expensive. Last thing you want to do is spend your money on a sub if you can't afford tuition.

But, this is really besides the point. When I look at wether or not a game is worth purchasing for me I don't compare it to how must does a movie cost or going bowling cost me. I compare it to other video games. Like I said mmos have been heavily overpriced in the past and right now with F2P and B2P paying a sub just doesn't make ANY sense to me.

? Come on... 15 dollars? For many hours, evenings and weekends of entertainment?

But sure, it can be a principle thing for some, I get that. If I see an MMO with a higher sub fee than others, I'd be principally against it too, and if it'd grate enough then I'd take this into my considering playing the game or not. Same with competition: if there are singleplayer games, multiplayer games or F2P MMO's that I like to play as much as a P2P MMO, then they're likelier to be chosen than a P2P MMO. But if I'm really interested and like to play an MMORPG, that 15-20 dollars won't be something I'd be hindered by. Like said, there are other activities and entertainment that are often more cost effective to lessen them. Anyway, that's how I see it. I think I've said all I can say about it, to each their own choices and money handling.

Good to see you understand why, its really out of principle. I wont pay more for a game when an equal or better game will not cost me that much. Regardless of wether or not its cheaper than going to the movies. It makes no sense to me, in principle, to pay for a game that is asking for more than its competitors even though its less than going to Disney Land image

You probably talk about GW2 there, for me even if GW2 is a good game, this is not the game that can retain my attention for too long. In fact for me GW2 is a game i can play anytime i want between my sub fee games sessions.

I prefer paying a sub and having acces to anything in a game. I dont like cash shop model unless there are purely esthetics. Now maibe for you it make no sense but it does for me cause for me GW2 is not a competitor but more a second game for past time.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

18 usd is rather expensive in todays market. I would have to truly love TSW to pay a sub that high. Since I dont, I wont... Now on the other hand, If I actually found TSW fun to play - and given that Funcom is in financial problems - I would probably pay a higher monthly sub just to help them out and to make the continuation of my favorite game possible.

And lastly, Id rather pay a sub any day of the week than having game developers create a game around the cash shop. It stops being a GAME and becomes a milking machine - like making a new road full of pot holes, and then selling asphalt in the cash shop.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Mimzel

18 usd is rather expensive in todays market. I would have to truly love TSW to pay a sub that high. Since I dont, I wont... Now on the other hand, If I actually found TSW fun to play - and given that Funcom is in financial problems - I would probably pay a higher monthly sub just to help them out and to make the continuation of my favorite game possible.

And lastly, Id rather pay a sub any day of the week than having game developers create a game around the cash shop. It stops being a GAME and becomes a milking machine - like making a new road full of pot holes, and then selling asphalt in the cash shop.

This is exactly the sentiment I touched on earlier. You got a buy to play game with a monthly subscription. Then to put the cherry on top theres a cash shop in there. I was very excited to try out TSW until I heard about this business model. Although, if I had to ask one question regarding it. Can you at least earn cash shop currency ingame?

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Personally I found TSW to be so good that I bought my first and last lifetime sub. Cannot say if it's good enough to pay a sub for you but for me it definitely is.
  • CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

<snip>

So TSW is like paying for a new road (sub) full of pot holes, and still having to buy the asphalt ? 

To answer the OP: no, TSW is not worth the standardized monthly sub-fee, to me.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Carnafex

So TSW is like paying for a new road (sub) full of pot holes, and still having to buy the asphalt ? 

To answer the OP: no, TSW is not worth the standardized monthly sub-fee, to me.

I wouldnt know, because I played it for 3 days and didnt log back in... Not because of the cash shop, but because the gameplay was not for me. I was merely touching on the point of cash shops in general, and how the FTP marked tends to make those pot holes in the game so they can sell you asphalt afterwards.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    [mod edit]
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    [mod edit]
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).

I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.

That's why I'm often dumbfounded at seeing how fussy people can get on these forums about such a low amount of money, especially when seeing the age that many are supposed to have. I know the economy can be bad, but most entertainment activities cost quite some more than 15 dollars, often for far less hours of fun and a lower return on investment.

well imo you get what you pay for..me personally i think tsw is worth the sub fee but being that you maybe uk based like me you will know that you get scammed big time with VAT .20% to be accurate..thats why the sub is so fekkin high..i bought a lifetime to tsw so i guess i,m lucky in that department.tbh i,m suprised more mmo companies dont increase there  sub fee when you take into account standard games like wow you still pay £8.99 but then i guess when you have the sub numbers like wow you can afford not to increase given the money they make.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Silok

I don't know were you are from but college in the US can be VERY expensive. Last thing you want to do is spend your money on a sub if you can't afford tuition.

But, this is really besides the point. When I look at wether or not a game is worth purchasing for me I don't compare it to how must does a movie cost or going bowling cost me. I compare it to other video games. Like I said mmos have been heavily overpriced in the past and right now with F2P and B2P paying a sub just doesn't make ANY sense to me.

? Come on... 15 dollars? For many hours, evenings and weekends of entertainment?

But sure, it can be a principle thing for some, I get that. If I see an MMO with a higher sub fee than others, I'd be principally against it too, and if it'd grate enough then I'd take this into my considering playing the game or not. Same with competition: if there are singleplayer games, multiplayer games or F2P MMO's that I like to play as much as a P2P MMO, then they're likelier to be chosen than a P2P MMO. But if I'm really interested and like to play an MMORPG, that 15-20 dollars won't be something I'd be hindered by. Like said, there are other activities and entertainment that are often more cost effective to lessen them. Anyway, that's how I see it. I think I've said all I can say about it, to each their own choices and money handling.

Good to see you understand why, its really out of principle. I wont pay more for a game when an equal or better game will not cost me that much. Regardless of wether or not its cheaper than going to the movies. It makes no sense to me, in principle, to pay for a game that is asking for more than its competitors even though its less than going to Disney Land image

You probably talk about GW2 there, for me even if GW2 is a good game, this is not the game that can retain my attention for too long. In fact for me GW2 is a game i can play anytime i want between my sub fee games sessions.

I prefer paying a sub and having acces to anything in a game. I dont like cash shop model unless there are purely esthetics. Now maibe for you it make no sense but it does for me cause for me GW2 is not a competitor but more a second game for past time.

That is exactly my point. GW2 is cheaper(or any other f2p for that matter), and even though you say its not a competitor you bought it(or at least talk like you would). Now, if GW2 were 25 bucks a month or more then you would probably not pick it up, but since they are competitive you might get it even if its just as a second game.

TSW in the other hand would be a second game for me, I would play it for a story playthrough only once(like a single player rpg) then drop it. But they are not competitive because its more expensive(not just compared to GW2) and my interest in it isn't high enough, so I don't plan on picking it up unless they have more competitive pricing on it.

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

TSW offers a 3/5 day free trial, through which you'd get a far better answer than hundreds of answers here.

I did that (as well as the celebration weekend) and I'm glad I did, as I no longer have any desire to continue playing. It was "catchy" for a while, but after finishing Soloman Island, I had had enough.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

No game is worth $18 a month.  I wouldn't play WoW if there wasn't a six month deal that drops it to $12.95 a month as even $15 is too expensive for an online game in my opinion.

Luckily most games I'm looking forward to have no monthly fees, and FFXIV 2.0 is going to be $9.99 for me as a legacy member in game.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

YES , if like game ,it is less than F2P , where spend 50$ monthly

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    if it was B2P i would bought it for sure, and i would pay for expansions every six months the same 50-60 euros .

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I thought when you lived in the US you could pay in USD and then the subscription fee will be 15 USD ??

I know I am forced to pay in Euros as I live in Europe, eventho Norway is not part of EU lol /facepalm

But as the Euro value is crap now anyway due to the crisis, I end up paying little more than I would in USD anyway hehe.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

Wondering what have their questing better then Wow, Swtor, Rift, ... I do not see anything spectacular. After buying w7 64bit (as in 32bit client crashed in media 4 times per hour) experience with game was good. And have enough originality. But simply could not play with 7 active buttons which spells button mashing. This was main reason stopped to play before 30 days free time. Boring to death. Well, same could be said for 90% to 95% of abilities, completely useless or nothing better then any precedent, just bad filler ups for something better at last ring.

But if not for this, would gladly pay sub.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

was well worth it, for me TSW was the best themepark MMORPG released this year.. nothing comes close to it for me...

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Nope it's not.  Like others have stated TSW is your typical themepark, just a bit fresh state in setting and more engaging quests.  Which while quests are entertaining they are only so the first time though but then again alts are pretty much pointless in TSW like they are in EVE unless one builds some trader alts in EVE.  Besides the setting and better quest designs it falls subpar to WoW in many ways with nothing that makes it really stand out.

GW2 keeps my attention going and now am very much skeptacle of all P2P MMOs.  I don't have a lot of time for MMOs anymore so any P2P model is money down the drain to me when I can have as much fun or better in GW2 and not worry about a monthly fee.

And honestly having players pay a sub and pay for items in the CS is a real slap in you player's face, when Blizzard stopped giving out pets for their anniversery and instead gave out acheivments peeved me the F off.  There should be monthly credits like Turbine does to their VIP clients.  I loathe any CS that is tacked onto a P2P MMO where one has to buy the items with real cash.  EVE has a good deal where one can purchase game-time with in game currency or how ANet does that you can buy currency for their store with in-game currency.

• eskelaeskela Member Posts: 39
    TSW was worth buying lifetime sub, which is basically 13,5 months of subs paid upfront. So yes, IMO, TSW is damn worth paying subs. :)
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Not at all, no.

The combat, missions and such are fantastic though and I suggest using your thirty days up.

But $49 for a couple weeks of play is okay by today's standards, just not a MMO.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Ambros123

GW2 keeps my attention going and now am very much skeptacle of all P2P MMOs.  I don't have a lot of time for MMOs anymore so any P2P model is money down the drain to me when I can have as much fun or better in GW2 and not worry about a monthly fee.

I'll say it again as I did before. P2P brings you constant updates (TSW has been getting one a month since launch now, Rift has been receiving around the same, FFXI and XIV keeps a 3 month content update at maximum, EVE get's free bi-yearly huge patches, etc) and better customer support (something GW2 is notoriously bad for). GW2 hasn't had one content update yet and it's been out over a month even though GW2 sold more than 10 times the amount of TSW, with no plans for one soon. The game's high level DE's are another area where it's still notoriously buggy. And that's coming from someone who agrees that GW2 is a great game and gives props to Arena Net for building an MMO with the B2P system. I'm afraid it's going to be like Guild Wars 1 - no content updates outside of paid expansions except twice a year or so. 

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I choose this game as my flavour of the month and have been playing for the last two days. I have to say that I'm enjoying the game a lot, particularly the mind bending puzzles. Although some are absurdly difficult.  I know the game is not perfect and the fact that it requires a relatively high end PC for an MMO although it has mediocre graphics is puzzling me. Despite this and other minor glitches I'm enjoying the game. I find the lore, script, characters and the world a extremely engaging and refreshing break from the middle ages fantasy that seem to make up 90% of MMOs.

I don't know much about the developement or background of the game, nor do I care. I just want a game that I enjoy playing and have fun with. It may not be the sandbox open world that I yearn for and I knew it wouldn't be. I came to the game without any high expectation and an open mind and have found the overall experience rewarding.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Caldrin

was well worth it, for me TSW was the best themepark MMORPG released this year.. nothing comes close to it for me...

Except TOR or GW2 which did far bhetter and have multiple times the playerbase.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    We always get screwed in the UK, TSW is not worth £11.49 a month sub in my opinion.  £9.99 tops and even that is stretching it. 

I think you have to ask what are you paying for?  You pay the box price - fair enough, you need to have the game.  But what does you monthly sub entitle you to access - the multiplayer aspect.   Looking at that it doesn't appear to be a prominent feature of TSW.   In other words, from comments already seen the game is a bit empty, especially for beginners.  Groups are a little hard to find, from various accounts.  Game has even been described as more of a single player game.   So I would weigh up whether the sub is worth that aspect.

Then you have the monthly updates, again from all accounts there is debate on the size on the updates and the fact that in comparison these have been getting systematically smaller.  So are they value for money in this day and age with low prices DLC on other games? 

If you do sub, I would sub on a monthly basis.  Don't take advantage of any offers because the game may go free to play and you might get burned.  Funcom are also not to hot on honoring promises they make in some of these deals.  I was promised Closed Beta access to TSW via my purchase of AOC expansion, I didn't get it.

Also thing to bear in mind is something like Darksiders 2 is 50% off on Steam at the moment £12.50 (almost a months sub), with extra content for as little as £3.  You get to own that game come what may and the extra content.  I know it not an MMO, but it's a reasonable game that could quite happily give you a months worth of entertainment (just an example).

Overall I question the value of subs these days, I don't think they are worth the money unless you are 100% into the game in question.