Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Rich Vogel to Head New Austin Studio

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bethesda Softworks has announced the formation of a new studio in Austin, Texas. Called "Battlecry Studios", the development team will be headed by ex-BioWare/SWTOR veteran Rich Vogel. The team is working on an as-yet unannounced project.

Most recently, Vogel worked at Bioware where he served as the executive producer on the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Rich has a long history in the industry having worked on Ultima Online, and Star Wars Galaxies as well as other online and console titles during his 20+ years in game development. The new studio is currently hiring other experienced game developers to fill key roles for an unannounced project.

Source: Email Press Release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Yes!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Fallout Online?
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    yes! he left cause of EA :D

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Guess this company will be Bethesdas "plan b" when elder scrolls online fails.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Well, not like he was the creative lead or anything but... I hope whatever he's onto will be more interesting and forward-thinking than SWTOR turned out to be.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    I wonder how much the guy 9in the Jedi costume behind him got paid to do that.  Stand there in a goofy costume... Thats some decent work right there, lol.
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Watch who he hires. If it's a ton of ex-BW/SWTOR devs...... /fail.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Future news article from 2017:

Rich Vogel leaves the video game industry.....

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    You say executive producer of SWTOR as if that's a good point!
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Something tells me it's a sandbox

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    a fail or not the unnannouced project, it better be sci-fi at the least.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I would never bash BioWare devs being hired on en masse. Don't forget that a lot of the game you experience with big publishers attatched comes down to the publishers' expectations on their bottom line and less on the developers' visions for their projects. We see this happen with more MMOs than any other genre IMO....well, if you subtract IP based games quickly developed for a side by side release with the movie for which they are based on.
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Ah nothing like the good old business practice of hiring people that continue to support failed business models.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Exec Producer of SWTOR? Why are people saying, "yes"?
  • kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Unless he has $50-100 Millions in finance and plans to recreate SWG, it will be a failure.
  • OrdnasseloOrdnasselo Member Posts: 12

Maybe the ex-producer title is a good thing.  I think, maybe, that it adds to the work experience and seeing of how such a big name company/big IP doesn't always make the game the company was hoping for. 

Who knows, by being involved in such a recent big hype game, some caution flags may come up and and some creative thinking may come into effect.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    Exec Producer of SWTOR? Why are people saying, "yes"?

Because many people can still actually look passed someone last archivements? Beside that simply because the game failed does not mean he is a bad developer. I mean I am sure not all programmers (if any) working on SWOTOR are actually bad programmers. In fact I guess most of them are part of the best games programmers you can find.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Couple this with the announcement that Erickson is leaving (without a new job, no less) and it means..........something.

Can't put my finger on it, but it means something.......

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by Leviathon77
    I would never bash BioWare devs being hired on en masse. Don't forget that a lot of the game you experience with big publishers attatched comes down to the publishers' expectations on their bottom line and less on the developers' visions for their projects. We see this happen with more MMOs than any other genre IMO....well, if you subtract IP based games quickly developed for a side by side release with the movie for which they are based on.

I reject your reality and  substitute my own where I remind you that a number of Mythic devs who work on and were 'responsible' for the mess that was Warhammer Online were absorbed into BW and worked on SWTOR where they immediately pushed their broken philosophy of pvp. It was as successful in SWTOR as it was in Warhammer Online. I'll let someone else make clever remarks about turds and punchbowls.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Couple this with the announcement that Erickson is leaving (without a new job, no less) and it means..........something.

It means he was a dickbag and karma's an unforgiving mistress.

• YolenYolen Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by cahenderson

Ya but Zeshuk and Muzyka left also. Douchebag or no douchebag - Bioware is bleeding human assets. Thank EA for killing great company:P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Well, at least he's standing up, kicking the dirt off from SWTOR and going forward with something new.

Better than running a Beer Blog or whatever other former MMO directors are doing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Yeah, he did such a bang up job on SWTOR.....
    Originally posted by Yolen
    Originally posted by cahenderson

Ya but Zeshuk and Muzyka left also. Douchebag or no douchebag - Bioware is bleeding human assets. Thank EA for killing great company:P

Oh, I wouldn't say they were "assets".