Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: NCSoft Responds to 'Save CoH' Movement

Comments

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    I'm not suprised that CoH is going down, I'm suprised it lasted this long. Apart from great character creation and different setting it was highly repeative on so many levels. But I guess lot of people loved it. Time to move on and stop moaning.
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    There was definitely something special about City of Heroes.  The Super Hero MMORPG genre is pretty well saturated... hence, the reason why they are shutting it down... but I definitely think that City of Heroes deserves serious consideration of a sequel.   I would love to return to Paragon City to fight off Freakshow and Carnival of Shadows in a game that felt just a tad bit more modern.  Thankfully, Champions Online is probably one of the most improved MMORPGs of the last year.  City of Heroes had phenomenal world design though.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

City of heroes was one of the first games i can remember that actually rewarded you for playing in a group. Previous games either gave you the same rewards or actually gave you less rewards if you played in a group. City of Heroes gave you more, and i know many people tout GW2 as the big one that made away with the trinity...

As a matter of fact until you hit endgame you could actually play city of heroes group content with pretty much any combination of "classes" you could run a full controller team (in fact for a while this was very OP as the stacked controll effects simply layed waste to anything.) or a full healer team.. slow but it could be done. Ofc the trinity made it a lot faster and endgame did pretty much demand the trinity.

But the thing that i belive will always stand out the moist in CoH was the level of customzation you could put in to your character. I for one still think the costume options in CoH beats any other MMO to this date (ofc all this came at the cost of having a very rigid body system and facial customzation was pretty much non-existant for a very long time.)

So so long and thanks for all the fish.

And give DCUO a try... It have come a long way from its rather horrid start and even if you don't like P7S the game it self is good.

This have been a good conversation

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Brutal, nasty, hope crushing. But.. at least it's honest, to the point and not misleading anyone with maybe's. I respect NCSoft management for that at least.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by tawess

And give DCUO a try... It have come a long way from its rather horrid start and even if you don't like P7S the game it self is good.

I won't touch ProSiebenSat7 with a ten foot pole!

Main reason why I, my gf and many many other EU players have said goodbye to EverQuest 2 after the "forced" transfer to PS7 !

It's a terrible company with a terrible reputation!

Just have a look at all the complaint threads already on the PS7 DCUO forums. /shrug

I am done with SOE completely, now they sold us to a terrible company (PS7), that manages to make Frogster and Gameforge look good. /facepalm !

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I bet someone will start up a private server somewhere now .

I don't believe the rights couldn't be sold on had it been for the right price . It just doesn't ring true .

I suspect a succesor to CoH is in mind now and thats the real reason the rights have not been sold  .

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Main reason why I, my gf and many many other EU players have said goodbye to EverQuest 2 after the "forced" transfer to PS7 !

Just have a look at all the complaint threads already on the PS7 DCUO forums. /shrug

I am done with SOE completely, now they sold us to a terrible company (PS7), that manages to make Frogster and Gameforge look good. /facepalm !

Don't get me wrong.. I have no love for P7S either but seeing as it is either them or champions... i rather run with the game i like then play i game i do not like just so i can avoid a shoddy serverpark manager. But each to their own i guess.

This have been a good conversation

• rikwesrikwes Member Posts: 90

Anyone buy the "we did everything we can " statement  from a company which knowingly forged a resignation letter to be able to get rid of a game and the guy developing it ( and convicted for doing so ) ?  If I was Arenanet I'd secretly start negotiating with another publisher just in case NCsoft pulls another fast one on them ...

It's not that they decide to get rid of a title it's the fact they lie about just about everything when doing so ( and they do so every time they shut down a title in the west) . Fact of the matter is I have  long ago concluded the management of this company isn't even slightly interested in western hemisphere and it shows every time .Most annoying is they don't even tell the developers when they decide to close a studio - not until the very last moment - so those folks are always still announcing new content  or maintaining there's  "no chance in hell the game shuts down " ( 48 hours before press release announcing shutdown of Tabula Rasa   I vividly recall ) ...that's simply very bad manners .

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Don't get me wrong.. I have no love for P7S either but seeing as it is either them or champions... i rather run with the game i like then play i game i do not like just so i can avoid a shoddy serverpark manager. But each to their own i guess.

The servers are still run by SOE.

PS7 is responsible for the most critical part, like account management system, support and now run their own currency in the Cash Shop! Not even offering what SOE offered before in the Station Store.

They are terrible with terrible support.

I won't trust them with any of my personal and financial information. They have been accused in the past before, by selling gamers personal info to third parties! /facepalm

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

And this is why I only play WoW. Not so soon Blizzard is pulling the plug. 

It sucks to spend time on an MMO and see all your fun and work go down the drain.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

First and only mmo that had banks in caves and underpasses and well anywere. That's right the door to the mission to stop a bank robbery would be a cave entrance or a maintaince door. 

"We're we going?" Super Sister Spandex asked as she floated past the mysterious cave mouth.

"Duh, to stop a bank robbery!" Replied Super Bob Whyaremyhandshuge.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Yea, well... I knew this whole "Save CoH" movement would be a waste of time. Once a studio makes the decision to close a game, nothing short of a hail Mary, from a very rich white knight, is going to have any chance of saving it. From all the protests I've seen, over the years from rabid fans to save a game, I've seen ZERO instances of any success.

I guess now we will see calls for the source code to be released, so private servers can be run, but that too will be a waste of time. It's ironic how a studio will shut down a game, but be so jealously guarded about the "worthless" source code, post sunset.

• GiluvasGiluvas Member Posts: 6
    Yet another game I bought, and not allowed to play anymore.
  • budbundybudbundy Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Here's a thought since so many people wanna save the game let them finance it. Start a Kickstarter for it. If the make the costs to keep the game alive it doesnt cost NCSoft a penny and they will make money off it and maybe keep the game alive.
  • spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by NameWasTaken

Yea, well... I knew this whole "Save CoH" movement would be a waste of time. Once a studio makes the decision to close a game, nothing short of a hail Mary, from a very rich white knight, is going to have any chance of saving it. From all the protests I've seen, over the years from rabid fans to save a game, I've seen ZERO instances of any success.

I guess now we will see calls for the source code to be released, so private servers can be run, but that too will be a waste of time. It's ironic how a studio will shut down a game, but be so jealously guarded about the "worthless" source code, post sunset.

OW!!! MY EYES!!!! I AM BLINDED!!!

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Someone will end up making a game 4x better then City of Heroes. We still only got 2 popular super hero titles like Champions Online and DC Universe, but it's nice to have another one.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

CoH was still quite busy( not overly, but still better than some mmo's ), if they didn't get rid of it...they couldn't open up resources for newer games they have coming down the pipe.

Unlike Blizzard which has just WoW as it's MMO platform, NCSoft has to ( or is willing to ) continue to evolve it's game choices for it's consumer base.

CoH had it's run, and now they are moving on....

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by adam_nox

they could have sold the rights and the code to the game, not for the millions they'd expect (I remember when people were trying to buy the rights to EnB, so I know what absurd amounts these companies ask for), but they'd rather just have it dissapear completely rather than have someone else bring it back and make it profitable.

In other words, it's all a load of bullcrap they are feeding us.  They don't want to service it and they don't want anyone else to do it if they don't.

Rumor has it that this is what did happen.There were parties interested in buying the IP to keep the gaem running but NCSoft wanted an unrealistic number for an IP they are killing off anyway.

I haven't palyed CoH for years so it's shutting down doesn't really affect me but it woudl of been nice for the large RP community I know exists there to have kept it's home.They didn't need content updates or further developement they'd of been happy to keep their home as is for RP purposes.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by adam_nox

they could have sold the rights and the code to the game, not for the millions they'd expect (I remember when people were trying to buy the rights to EnB, so I know what absurd amounts these companies ask for), but they'd rather just have it dissapear completely rather than have someone else bring it back and make it profitable.

In other words, it's all a load of bullcrap they are feeding us.  They don't want to service it and they don't want anyone else to do it if they don't.

Rumor has it that this is what did happen.There were parties interested in buying the IP to keep the gaem running but NCSoft wanted an unrealistic number for an IP they are killing off anyway.

I haven't palyed CoH for years so it's shutting down doesn't really affect me but it woudl of been nice for the large RP community I know exists there to have kept it's home.They didn't need content updates or further developement they'd of been happy to keep their home as is for RP purposes.

IPs are in fact worth millions, any small fan group that thinks they'll pick up an established IP for a couple thousand bucks is as unrealistic as a group who thinks writing a letter saying please keep the game running will make a company turn the switch back on to an unprofitable game and just flush money down the toilet to keep a few people happy.

As a company, your bank of IPs is similar to a person having money in a bank account. It is a resource that one day they can sell off, reuse, reinvest in, or use as leverage when selling a company (raising the price because of all the IPs that come with it). It isn't something you just get rid of.

The thing I've said all along, and the one truth from this whole story, is that if people really cared this much about the game they should have been buying things to support it. Not playing the game at all or playing the game for free and not spending a dime does not allow a game to keep operating. We've reached a point in life where for some reason we expect everything to be free, when in reality it takes money to make/keep things running.

• MidnightRiderMidnightRider Member Posts: 1

Sadly Hokie you were only doing Newspaper/Radio missions.  These lead up to stopping a bank heist or pulling a bank job which in turn gave you a new contact(villain side this is almost the only way you got one).  Here is where the BIG stories lay with the contacts up through the levels.  The BIG stories being Story Arcs which gave you all the RICH background information on the City of Paragon and the Rogue Isles. 

This is where CoH/V outshines the others, it wasn't all smack this guy down or clear this place and on to the next.  There were GREAT stories being told if you took the time to read the dialog for each mission, watch what the NPCs were saying in the missions and pay attention to what villain groups you were fighting.  And the stories didn't end with missions.  The exploration markers told stories.  The history markers told stories.  Task Forces had meanings with a story line not just a bunch of missions tied together.

Also the city/isles were full of many visual things that most people don't notice.  Did anyone else take time to fly to the top of a building and not only see the blinking marker light but also HEAR it?  Fans inside vents you normally don't look at actually turn!  How about the skeleton on a little desolate island?  An airplane down under water?  Fish jumping out of the water and you can see them swimming around too.

And the players, most of them the most friendly, helpful bunch I have met in any online game and I have played quite a few but I have always come back to CoH/V because it is so much fun.  Well if my city does go to bit heaven I and my 100+ heroes/villains will surely miss her as there is NO other that replace this ONE OF A KIND MMO.

@Midnight Rider & @MR2

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

They seem to be a pretty "aggressive" company in terms of when to shut down a game. It seems that it isn't worth the time and effort (for the top 2% of the company) to keep a game running if it is barely running above the breaking even point.

Exactly, for example there's Dungeon Runne... oh wait, they kept that running far longer than any other company would have. Hmmm... so let's go with Exteel becaus.. oh wait, that they also kept alive well beyond a point any other company would have. Auto Assault... well, see the other two.  Tabula Rasa? Extremely expensive debacle that immediately hemmorhaged subs... and money... and staff.

Can you list the games you were referring to?

Well I was specifically pointing out P2P MMORPG games that were eventually closed in the West or became F2P or P2W games with a huge reduction in servers. I am not sure if you read my response entirely.

You pointed out 2 games and gave an example with Dungeon Runners. That game barely lasted for 3 years. I don't expect games to last for 15 years (or coming close to it) like EverQuest. But most of us hope that the next title we play won't close down in less than 4 years.

That is why I pointed out that question in bold/underline.

These are the games that have been shut down by them in the WEST (mostly not all).

Auto Assault

Dungeon Runners

Dragonica

Exteel

Point Blank

Tabula Rasa

City of Heroes

Lineage I

I didn't include Guild Wars 1/2 since ArenaNet is the developer. The only major title I can think of that is still available in the West (MMORPG) is Aion; although no longer P2P. The only major title that has been announced in the foreseeable future 2013-2014 is Blade & Soul.

So as it currently stands, I will ask again, is there currently any successful P2P NCSoft (developer) MMORPG in 2012?

Everything else has been shut down, with very few exceptions, and the only major title (developed) by them is Blade & Soul.

Blade & Soul, Wild Star and one other (can't remember the name atm) is being developed by them, and they've acquired publishing rights for Arche Age which will be coming to the west as well. Though you're right none of that is due out in 2012. As for the games you listed, Lineage lasted for a very long time and the others, especially Dragonica and Dungeon Runners (neither was developed by NCSoft, they were just publishers) didn't actually have a population. Dragonica was kept on life support literally while they ran ad campaigns to try and get people interested, but the game was empty. They aren't the only publisher who had rights to it, and they aren't the only publisher who gave them up, the game was terrible. Same goes for Tabula Rasa, even though I actually enjoyed that one.

The only one that really boggles in CoX. I'm not really mad at them for closing it, but it's nowhere near as justified as the other examples. Ah well, everything dies eventually.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by NameWasTaken

From all the protests I've seen, over the years from rabid fans to save a game, I've seen ZERO instances of any success.

Actually, one that I know of has been successful: Ryzom. Still, that leaves a pretty poor track record for these things.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

noooooooooooooo ! someone please stop this madness. CoH deserves to continue.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Arakane

noooooooooooooo ! someone please stop this madness. CoH deserves to continue.

That's how the CoH community feels too, which is why we're not giving up yet! :D

Those are some of the links.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• johnnyjoyjohnnyjoy Member Posts: 1

I'd like to clear something up. City of Heroes was making money, and by most measurements doing just fine. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/10/06/corps-shut-down-family-friendly-products/ Investors never got to the naming a figure part of the talks, since there were never any talks. At least this is how it has been reported, and that's what we know until there is a different report we can rely on.

NCSoft has a history that we cannot ignore of closing games down, and it appears trying to cheat people(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garriott) out of milions of dollars. If it's true they are publically telling their customers and investors that they had tried to sell the COH assets, but could not, when in fact they didn't even try, this is a company people might steer clear of.

What concerns me the the elimination of a good game, that the whole family can play and is amaizingly fun. Others can't see this. I do. I have 3 kids ages 10, 8, and 6. They all love to create characters and enjoy playing them. It's something I enjoy with them. There is no other offering like it. Nothing matches the feel or the level of play, in that same way.

It's also a type of game which has manages to foster a really great community. I could be the heroic theme, or the way characters are encouraged to help each other. Unlike any other MMO out there, when you ask for help, you stand a good chance of getting it. There appears to be no stuipid questions, and virtually everyone friendly. In 6 years on the game I have only see one annoying person, and that person later apologized. 

The whole expereince has been so different. I know your milage might vary, but I'm telling you how it was for me.

For my kids they are like comic book heroes, that they have created. They have thousands of stories about their characters. They write about them in school and draw endless pictures. I know those characters will live on in their imaginations forever, but it's the game play with something great that they enjoyed more than anything.

I allowed my kids to play, starting wiht my oldest, so that they would have an incentive to read. My oldest was not doing to well reading in school and really hated books. I tried City of Heroes and it worked so well he now reads for fun, and is reading at nearly a 12th grade level. My other kids are right behind my oldest, thanks to the game.

We all know things have to end sometime. I don't mind that at all. But how they end can be good or bad. But this ending is not right. There is no reasonable reason to close it. Yes, it's theirs to close whenever they want, but not really. See, the game belongs to the owners of NCSoft not the management. If what management is doing is counter to their responsibility to the owners, then there is a problem. When people make a stink about the closure, tweet, etc, it's the owners who they hope will notice, and also new invoestors. Their hope comes from idea that this is a good asset that was just starting it's second life.

I'm also fighting. I'm tweeting the honest truth of my opion. I think the move, as we know the facts, runs counter their the company's goals. It could be bad  PR right on the heals of a devistating lawsuit. It reduces the bottom line. And NCSoft has made no friends of the thousands of gameers they have pissed off by most likely lying to them about the possible sale.

I know I will not be giving them any money. I don't care if anyone else does. Please do, in fact. I don't like the way they do business and I'm free to do what I want with my money. And if it's a little immature of me to do that, so what. I'm an adult running about as a super hero. Let's face it, that's not entirely mature to start with.

Now for the amazing distrubing item. Some fellow gamers are down right hateful towards those looking to save a game they love. This seems offensive to them for some reason. I feel extremely sorry for them. Finding something you really enjoy and really love is rare, as rare as falling in love with that perfect someone, and spending your life with them. It's amazing, as amazing as being the little boy in Where the Red Fern Grows and having those great hunting dogs. Reading that story, not a single person didn't wish they could have saved those dogs becuase that ltitle boy loved them so much. This is why so many people work to save City of Heroes.

I'm motivated differently. I dislikely lying cheating corporations just as much as the next person. Maybe more, since I play a heroic game, but my real motivation is the pain this has caused my kids. Don't get me wrong I'm all for fighting for the game, but I really don't  have the time. The reaction of my kids made me make the time.

If you have kids and you love them, you would do the same.

#SaveCOH