Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW worth 18 dollars a month subscription ?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not like wow while leveling

It is like wow at endgame - grind dungeons for tokens or go do some fairly innocuous pvp where you get "better" by actively avoiding pvp.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).

I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.

That's why I'm often dumbfounded at seeing how fussy people can get on these forums about such a low amount of money, especially when seeing the age that many are supposed to have. I know the economy can be bad, but most entertainment activities cost quite some more than 15 dollars, often for far less hours of fun and a lower return on investment.

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong.

How do you figure?  A movie is as expensive as a Month of MMO play.  It might be shallow to you..but its not wrong.

You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation.

Were not..nobody makes them play MMOs. So they pay like the rest of us ( on sub games) or they dont play.  Their situation is irrelevant.

Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in.

Thats your opinion. I happen to disagree.

And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

Ok, I dont necessarily disagree with you on this bit.  Im pretty sure all games will eventuallly be FTP with CS

My first argument is pertaining to expecting others to use their money like you do. Saying that he is "dumbfounded" that they don't spend money like he does its what I disagree with.

Not sure how you disagree with paying is a sub is more expensive than a flat price video game.

In my opinion most box video games (non _MMO) are meant to be bought  and finished in a week so I can  go buy another.  Yes there are examples taht do not adhere to my belief but for the most part ...Even if It takes me a month to finish a game..I still wil have to buy another box 50 to 60 dollars.  If i buy antoher box in the MMO world the costs are the same but If said game keeps me for even one month..i pay 15 as  opposed to  another 50.  Hence, in my opinon  atleast, MMOs are by far the cheapest of digital entertainment.   Now with your statement Im assuming your talking about GW2 as the flatprice game ..where as I am thinking more along the lines of Crysis 2. 

Which is what he have been doing forever. The amount of content and/or entertainment value in many cases does not warrant a sub compared to flat price games. Especially now that mmos are changing their business models.

I disagree, because there are more than PLENTY of games that cost a box price and last way more then a week. In regards to the mmo genre there are tons of f2p mmos and gw2 will probably make the b2p market more accessible for others, I don't see a reason to pay a sub when there are so many other options(competitors) in the video game industry. Again I don't compare it to other forms of entertainment, that is irrelevant to me especially when it can't even compete inside its own genre.

I guess we agree to disagree then.  Your not going to convince me otherwise..and Im not going to convince you.  Seeyah

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by Preacher26
    Originally posted by david361107
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

just thought this was funny "typical wow style thempark".

TSW is a pretty cool game, I'm currently playing after buying GW2 and finding out that is is the real "typical wow style themepark" and really boring as hell. TSW is different and if you don't want different then don't buy it or pay the sub.

Combat: its the first MMO in years that I've got excited about the combat. looking at other AAA MMO's out there TSW's combat is much better.

Dumbed down: Now if you are like the standard WOW or GW2 Player where you can't really build a character to be your own then you should pass on TSW. TSW actually makes you think when you play and when you build your character. They don't AUTO build your character like the others do.

Quest: in GW2 I really didn't have to do anything to complete Quest or whatever they call it. In TSW you have to think and sometimes actually look for help.

Bottom line: TSW is different and harder than any other MMO out there right now. Also because the talent tree and quest aren't so easy it weeds out the kids too so that makes it much better.

Peace

Lascer

Have you played TSW endgame? There are cookie cutter builds for every role. Sure you can run around with a subpar build but have fun trying to get in endgame content groups. TSW is no more complex than any other game out there. They just threw on a new skin... theres a reason for its current pop

I actually gotta ask, have YOU played TSW endgame. My build changes depending on what instance we are running. people have been releasing their builds on places like Unfair however they rarely work for every dungeon. Not to mention having a "One size Fits all" build would require having all 10.4 gear and people experianced in every fight. i honestly think you have no clue what you talking about.

See above in bold. Have best in game for both my dps and tank set.

People can defend every aspect of every game... doesnt matter to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I didnt say if you were filling a dps role you would be running the same build for every nightmere you did but to talk like you have some amazing freedom and unlimited customization is laughable. For each nightmere there is a cookie cutter for each role, you can argue it and maybe for some subpar pugs you run with whatever you want but for solid guilds/groups you run a specific build for an instance and thats it. Actually for some im asked to swap per encounter... but again... thats because of whats optimal. I cant just run in with my favorite shotgun build and be useful.

but to each their own. no different than any other pve game. Cookie cutter builds for each role and/or encounter.

Freedom of choice doesnt exist.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Definately not, you can beat the game in a week. As a lifetimer Id suggest waiting for f2p

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

TSW is a pretty cool game, I'm currently playing after buying GW2 and finding out that is is the real "typical wow style themepark" and really boring as hell. TSW is different and if you don't want different then don't buy it or pay the sub.

Combat: its the first MMO in years that I've got excited about the combat. looking at other AAA MMO's out there TSW's combat is much better.

Dumbed down: Now if you are like the standard WOW or GW2 Player where you can't really build a character to be your own then you should pass on TSW. TSW actually makes you think when you play and when you build your character. They don't AUTO build your character like the others do.

Quest: in GW2 I really didn't have to do anything to complete Quest or whatever they call it. In TSW you have to think and sometimes actually look for help.

Bottom line: TSW is different and harder than any other MMO out there right now. Also because the talent tree and quest aren't so easy it weeds out the kids too so that makes it much better.

Peace

Lascer

Have you played TSW endgame? There are cookie cutter builds for every role. Sure you can run around with a subpar build but have fun trying to get in endgame content groups. TSW is no more complex than any other game out there. They just threw on a new skin... theres a reason for its current pop

I actually gotta ask, have YOU played TSW endgame. My build changes depending on what instance we are running. people have been releasing their builds on places like Unfair however they rarely work for every dungeon. Not to mention having a "One size Fits all" build would require having all 10.4 gear and people experianced in every fight. i honestly think you have no clue what you talking about.

People can defend every aspect of every game... doesnt matter to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I didnt say if you were filling a dps role you would be running the same build for every nightmere you did but to talk like you have some amazing freedom and unlimited customization is laughable. For each nightmere there is a cookie cutter for each role, you can argue it and maybe for some subpar pugs you run with whatever you want but for solid guilds/groups you run a specific build for an instance and thats it. Actually for some im asked to swap per encounter... but again... thats because of whats optimal. I cant just run in with my favorite shotgun build and be useful.

but to each their own. no different than any other pve game. Cookie cutter builds for each role and/or encounter.

So uh  whats your opinion on paying 18/mo for the game?

Peace

Lascer

So uh  whats your opinion on paying 18/mo for the game?

I thought it was a breathe of fresh air when it launched. The atmosphere and quest were great but you run out of content quick. No reason to play alts and the lower lvl zones are dead.

It was worth it back at launch, I wouldnt say so now.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69

Definately not, you can beat the game in a week. As a lifetimer Id suggest waiting for f2p

Sorry, you say that you're a lifetimer in almost every post (almost suspiciously so), but since all your posts since your account creation are about bashing and trashing TSW, I seriously doubt it. Beating the game in a week, sure, everything's possible with hardly any sleep and playing all the time, after all a week has 168 hours, that's a lot of gameplay hours.

but to each their own. no different than any other pve game. Cookie cutter builds for each role and/or encounter.Freedom of choice doesnt exist.

You have a point. After all, all MMO's that allow you to pick your skills w/o classes, from the earliest onwards, have shown that a number of cookie cutter builds will arise and FotM's. I don't see how that can be avoided, only maybe the number of alternate options and viable builds and tactics can be managed, but not the given that one build will be better than another for a specific situation.

However, in contrast to class based MMO's, you'll be able to mix up your skills unhindered by certain skills being forever unreachable for you bc they belong to a class that isn't your own. That's freedom too, of a kind, it's all in relation to other examples.

Sorry, you say that you're a lifetimer in almost every post (almost suspiciously so), but since all your posts since your account creation are about bashing and trashing TSW, I seriously doubt it. Beating the game in a week, sure, everything's possible with hardly any sleep and playing all the time, after all a week has 168 hours, that's a lot of gameplay hours.

You have a point. After all, all MMO's that allow you to pick your skills w/o classes, from the earliest onwards, have shown that a number of cookie cutter builds will arise and FotM's. I don't see how that can be avoided, only maybe the number of alternate options and viable builds and tactics can be managed, but not the given that one build will be better than another for a specific situation.

However, in contrast to class based MMO's, you'll be able to mix up your skills unhindered by certain skills being forever unreachable for you bc they belong to a class that isn't your own. That's freedom too, of a kind, it's all in relation to other examples.

A very good point. Cant complain having access to every class on one character

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by roo67
    Ok in the USA its not 18 dollars but in the UK its 11.49 uk pounds which roughly is 18 dollars . So my question for UK players is it worth the inflated subscription and to USA players would you play it if it were 18 dollars a month in your country ?

I would say 'no'.

However, it really depends on what you are looking for. TSW only really offers 3 things that is drastically different from most other games:

1) The atmopshere

2) The skill wheel

3) Investigation missions (which when you get down to it, aren't nearly as numerous as the game would have you believe. Many of the ones that are in game are pretty interesting, if you like complex puzzles. However google does get in the way of this to some degree. For certain investigation missions it's hard to google the clue your supposed to find without getting TSW spoilers left & right)

For everything else, the game doesn't really bring anything new to the table. The story starts off pretty cool, but falls short the longer you get into it. It suffers from a similar problem to what GW2 has, where the more interesting story developments all abruptly end and are forgotten. Really quite a shame.

The majority of quests in this game are kill X quests, and to make it worse you are capped as to how many you can do at any one time. It's the same old themepark quest-hub game. Some of the quests are interesting, but most aren't.

As for PvP, this was decent when the game launched, but has devolved into shallow crappy combat. Fusang is an abomination now. The anymousity between factions is almost completely gone. People are more interested in base trading for token grinding. It's a real shame. The scenarios are a tiny bit better, but they have a problem w/ people Queing as roles they aren't (i.e. support /healer) and then respeccing DPS once the match begins. Furthermore the Ques are usually way too long.

As for endgame, it's dungeon grinding. Plain and simple. Same 8 dungeons over and over. The dungeons are pretty cool, mostly, and some of the boss fights are pretty fun, though.

- There you have it. Weight those together and figure out for yourself if you want to pay 18$/month for that.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94

Well I am a lifetimer[mod edit]

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

It's worth every penny and I hope it never goes F2P because I find non F2P games have better/friendlier player popluations, more maturity etc.  Must have something to do with 18/month=nothing even with a minimal wage job, so kids who have no jobs won't p2p?

I dunno, anyways, all the negative talk to TSW from people who haven't played it/never reached Fac NM last boss are funny/cute to me, got nothing better to do than trash talk a game they don't play, pretty sad imo.

Gonna go own with my 10.4 pistol/claws healer.

Peace

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    [never mind, cant read properly]

Hodor!

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    With a cash shop, it isn't worth a sub period, much less $18 a month.

A very good point. Cant complain having access to every class on one character

Oh come on now.  People will complain about anything  :)

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    With a cash shop, it isn't worth a sub period, much less $18 a month.

If they were selling bag space and the likes I'd agree with you. But atm, the cash shop in TSW is entirely cosmetic. What F2P has nothing but cosmetic options in it's shop? None that I know of.

• MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80
    no its not worth paying $18 usd per month for this.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    I am short on cash as it is. If I wanted to pay a sub fee, I'd go play something cheaper.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    No. Never give this company money (except if you're buying The Longest Journey for 5€).
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

Someone who obviously never set foot in the game and has just picked up on what others have said, this type of response is just sad.

The game is worth a sub, it offers you a more mature and serious game than you could ever find in the likes of WoW, it's so far removed from others in it's genre that it seems to be getting punished for being so different.

There's a reason everyone is saying it. It's not getting punished for being different. GW2 is different and its doing well.

It's being punished because they're trying to tack on a monthly fee to what is, through and through, a singleplayer game with some coop elements. If they had just branded it as that they would have done well, but people are tired of dishonesty from Funcom.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Someone who obviously never set foot in the game and has just picked up on what others have said, this type of response is just sad.

The game is worth a sub, it offers you a more mature and serious game than you could ever find in the likes of WoW, it's so far removed from others in it's genre that it seems to be getting punished for being so different.

There's a reason everyone is saying it. It's not getting punished for being different. GW2 is different and its doing well.

It's being punished because they're trying to tack on a monthly fee to what is, through and through, a singleplayer game with some coop elements. If they had just branded it as that they would have done well, but people are tired of dishonesty from Funcom.

If you wanna call Funcom Dishonest then you can call every mmo released to be that way short of the original few. EVERYTHING is soloable. EVERYTHING feels like a SPRPG. you know when it doesnt, when you choose to play with other people. if you dont play it like a SPRPG then it isnt one. i run with a guild and while i still solo things, we constantly run NM's and half the time i dont do anyhing unless somone else is online. so call it a SPRPG all you want, in the end the game is what you make it.

Going on that im tired that Sony, Bioware, EA, Blizzard, A-net, Trion, Perfect world, and anyone else i missed is Dishonest and we are tired of them lying to the player base. because all their games a SPRPG since i soloed in all of them.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

If you wanna call Funcom Dishonest then you can call every mmo released to be that way short of the original few. EVERYTHING is soloable. EVERYTHING feels like a SPRPG. you know when it doesnt, when you choose to play with other people. if you dont play it like a SPRPG then it isnt one. i run with a guild and while i still solo things, we constantly run NM's and half the time i dont do anyhing unless somone else is online. so call it a SPRPG all you want, in the end the game is what you make it.

Going on that im tired that Sony, Bioware, EA, Blizzard, A-net, Trion, Perfect world, and anyone else i missed is Dishonest and we are tired of them lying to the player base. because all their games a SPRPG since i soloed in all of them.

Do you have any prior experience with Funcom?

I have very negative feelings for them, already before purchasing TSW... AO/AoC... Just not a good company.

They love to make promises, they just never keep them.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Do you have any prior experience with Funcom?

I have very negative feelings for them, already before purchasing TSW... AO/AoC... Just not a good company.

They love to make promises, they just never keep them.

Same can be said for any big company, IMO. Whether they did it to straight out lie or maybe they couldn't keep them is another topic.

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170

It's only $18 a month if it takes you longer then the first 30 days to get through it because the first month is technicly free. (Well, free if you actually buy the game....some would say its $50 for the first month.)

By the time the first 30 days is up you should know if its worth the additional $18 per month for you.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Yeah i raided in AoC and i only got to play a Little in AO. If anything i wouldnt be pissed at Funcom i would be pissed at the Dev team. which for TSW the dev team worked on Longest Journey, DreamFall. and was one of the reason AoC became Salvageable.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Well I am a lifetimer. You can claim Im not all you want it just makes you a troll

Well, a lifetimer that wishes and hopes that a game'd go F2P or disappear altogether so that his lifetime sub really becomes utterly meaningless is a new one to me; doesn't sound like something a true lifetimer'd want at all, so I'll give you that.