Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of Fighting

Comments

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    When I first reached Orr, it was hell. Gone was the carefree, freeform wandering around. From the Straits of Devastation onwards, I had to fight for every step of progression all the way. Mobs everywhere, quick respawns and easy adds if I wasn't careful. The Orr zones seriously did have a different vibe to them. I started to despair and wonder if I'd really be able to finish them, if even traveling became such a fight all the time.

However, after a while I noticed that I adapted to that new rhythm. Became more alert while overviewing my surroundings, quicker in spotting safe spots, started to use the friendly NPC's as wandering safe places and mob shields, had my skills rdy for traveling and moving around that gave a boost of speed when needed or dealt with CC effects. In general, I changed my way of moving through zones until it was almost as free in operating in a zone as before, but in a different manner.

In a way, it reminded me of EQ where after harsh lessons, you also adapted to learning how to move and behave in dungeons, traveling across giants' zones and other tight spots, until they became a new second nature.

Sometimes you have to allow a new difficult situation time, for you to pick up and adopt ways to deal with it effectively, until you reach the point where they become second nature and you might look back after a while and wonder, 'was this and that what I was so hindered and beaten down by?'
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I think Orr is brilliant. It's a mad, chaotic scramble all the way and I love it. I'ts been done exactly the way it should be, considering it's the last area and the home of Zhaitan and his horde of risen followers. If Anet had made it any easier it would be just another boring MMO.

I don't think you need to be some "hardcore nutcase" to be able to cope with Orr, you just need to be awake and looking at your screen.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

One does not simply walk into Orr.

I can't believe no one has said that yet. That being that, I love it on my mesmer. Greatsword with scepter/pistol works rather well for me, enough for 100% completion on all of Orr and only Arah to do to finish the story. (Just waiting for a sufficient window of time there...) The undead everywhere are a challenge, and seeing, for example, a Champion Risen Giant or the like and knowing that I need to stay aware or he'll do unpleasant things to me... yeah, good stuff. It's not your typical MMO PvE set of zones, that's for sure. Only thing I'd recommend to the OP is to bring a friend to help along.

Oh... beware the undead chickens.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP - your sig pretty much sums it up

I just hit Orr for the 2nd time with my Guardian (warrior was my first 80) - I can pretty much run and ignore the mobs, I couldn't do that with my warrior. 

You could if you built him defensively, but you're more than likely rolling as a GS HB/Frenzy Warrior or Evis Warrior.

My warrior can easily take on four-five Orr mobs simultaneously and never drop below 50%.

Originally posted by Volkon

Oh... beware the undead chickens.

Just move back after they die lol, they explode a second and a half after they die. Like a grenade without the pin or plunger attached.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Volkon
    One does not simply walk into Orr.
    lol Good one :)

Maybe they could put a catapult in Fort Trinity that would sling you where you needed to go for the storylines... Boromir's Bright Idea

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

If orr ever become's easy enough that I can meander up to the gates of Arah while eating fried orrian chicken, I will more than likely quit playing for a long time. I believe in a interview or comicon event, they stated orr was supposed to be lilke invading normandy during WW2, I really doubt they had safe place's back then. For me I love the challenge of Orr, well except the temple of Lyssa event, which is more of a people problem.

P.S. My 1st day in Orr I had 15 silver repair bill total while i was in green's. And I loved every minute of the hellish challenge.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Elikal

I must say, those teeth-grinding last 10 levels from 70-80 are really, really tiresome. Fight, fight, fight... for every damn centimeter. Yes, there are other zones than Orr, but overall, where is the fun any beauty from the early levels? It's all serious, war-ish and deadly.

Yes, I too feel worn out and tired of the fighting and the confounded difficulty of the last 10-15 levels.

Why are they always catering some hardcore nuts? :(

Frostgorge sound?  Any dungeon?  Any lower level zone (slower leveling, but leveling)?  WvW?

I really don't think GW2 caters to hardcore nuts, at least not exclusively.  Yes, there are some hardcore zones, but there are PLENTY of casual zones...like the majority of the game. 

I could see complaining if the game content was ONLY hardcore stuff, or the vast majority of it was...but that's just not the case.  So you really seem to be complaining that hardcore areas exist, which I think is kind of silly.

Personally, I'm glad that there is some hardcore content...it gives me a chance to really put my skills at build to the test.  I would be bored to death if all of the content in the game was easy enough that you could half-AFK it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I must say, those teeth-grinding last 10 levels from 70-80 are really, really tiresome. Fight, fight, fight... for every damn centimeter. Yes, there are other zones than Orr, but overall, where is the fun any beauty from the early levels? It's all serious, war-ish and deadly.

Yes, I too feel worn out and tired of the fighting and the confounded difficulty of the last 10-15 levels.

What?

The last 15 levels are the fastest, most casual, and easy going levels to get in the game. If you are finding them to be "teeth grinding" you are doing something terribly wrong.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Frostgorge sound?  Any dungeon?  Any lower level zone (slower leveling, but leveling)?  WvW?

I really don't think GW2 caters to hardcore nuts, at least not exclusively.  Yes, there are some hardcore zones, but there are PLENTY of casual zones...like the majority of the game. 

I could see complaining if the game content was ONLY hardcore stuff, or the vast majority of it was...but that's just not the case.  So you really seem to be complaining that hardcore areas exist, which I think is kind of silly.

Personally, I'm glad that there is some hardcore content...it gives me a chance to really put my skills at build to the test.  I would be bored to death if all of the content in the game was easy enough that you could half-AFK it.

^^This

I get that having to constantly fight for every inch of movement can get really annoying and it sounds like there may have been a little too much before the patch (I don't know for sure as my highest toon is only 53 atm so I'm going off of what other people are saying), BUT....

Think of it this way.  You are not in a warzone.  Warzone denotes a territory typically between the opposing factions that is being fought over.  That's not Orr from what I understand.  Orr is ENEMY territory.  So, of course you are going to run into enemies constantly.  It would be like fighting the Germans inside Germany in 1941.  You are essentially attacking the enemy on their turf, so yeah, it's going to be a bitch.

It sounds to me like you just need to make sure you run Orr with at least one friend, probably more.  That was probably the intent behind it being so difficult.  However, I may change my mind once I get there!  :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

So are people running about Orr naked or refusing to use speed buffs and debuff cleans or something? Otherwise I'm failing to see how outside of a total balls up, or someone dumping a mob train on your head, how people are finding it a challenge in there.

Yes it can be a challenge to try and solo certain champs, or try DE's solo or in small groups. But the issue some have with the place has to do with the general mobs and map, not the DE's, not the Champs. Actually getting around Orr is jaw droppingly easy, but can be pulltastically frustrating.

All those countless mobs stood around, crammed shoulder to shoulder simply serve to slow you down somewhat as you ignore yet another, pointless, set of pulls.

Taking aside the DE's and the named mobs. The general mob placement and sheer number of them (coupled with their pull mechanics), just seems really badly done in my opinion.

The whole place should have just been masses of DE's, mini DE's. Have mobs stood around, but there is no need for untold thousands of them. Instead have random, mini DE's where you get columns of undead, hordes of enemy rampaging across the map and along the roads. Moving from camp to camp. Not just static/predicatable DE's. Not just a load of NPCS stood milling about.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

I play as warrior too, and I don't have any problem to run if I need and or just kill things fast to past, nodes I also farm for orichalcums and orian wood so still ok.

also that map is the best place to farm for gold :) one hour running events I make 2 gold coins :) need to do that again :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Orr can be tough for some professions, but nothing making tactics and treating mobs like bosses wont fix :P
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44

P.S. My 1st day in Orr I had 15 silver repair bill total while i was in green's. And I loved every minute of the hellish challenge.

Hehe, ah yes, the repair bills. Damn, they can add up fast there, at first I went there thinking I'd make a quick buck there easily, but I quickly came back from that thought ^_^
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

As a level 80 toughness build Guardian I can pretty much roam around Orr. GS for DPS and switch to mace/shield for healing and safety. Slow to kill (with m/s) but hard to get killed.

That said, after completing each map, it's pretty dull. Sure there are pop up DEs but it's mostly grind killing (which if find with me, generally). Just gets old fast.

I see a few live bodies and a good few bots parked in corners doing their jumpy, jumpy to local mobs.

If you really want to explore some of the areas/complete the maps you need a good group of at least 2-3.

*shrug* I know what the game tried to do with the area but I think unless you are in a  big guild or have some regular like minded friends, Orr is going to be less than it was envisioned for a lot of folks. Many just won't bother when they hit the wall of undead.

• Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Honestly  I don't know why anyone bothers to even attempt to develop an MMORPG anymore
  • SluskeSluske Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Honestly  I don't know why anyone bothers to even attempt to develop an MMORPG anymore

This is so true.

if a game is 99% perfect, it's obvious people will bitch about the 1 bad % rather then enjoy the 99 good ones.

It's human nature.

sorry for the (kinda) OT, please continue :)

(and no, I didn't mean Gw2 is 99% perfect)

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I've got 94% map completion of Orr and only fought a hand full of mobs. I was for example able to run all the way to Arah for storymode without stopping to fight. The only times I really stopped to fight was when I wanted to or when I had a few still chasing me when reaching my destinations. This is on ele mentalist btw, the most squishy class (but with enough cc).

I'm saving fighting there and doing events for when I'm in the mood for it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Orr is... annoying. Not hard, annoying. Thief I could get away skipping everything while my mesmer I'm stuck fighting stuff as I go through or getting stomped. I can just skid past sometimes but most often I'd have to fight to ensure I don't get a dozen mobs on my ass. The game is rediculously easy when it comes to PvE until you get multiple mobs, then skill matters to such a tiny degree. 

Its just annoying. I don't feel like using the same skills I've used since level 30 to fight mobs that give me 0 progress on a heart or anything, Its not entertaining. What is sad is I'm the person that plays raganarok online and I don't mind grinding mobs and working on there for loot. The mechanics in game only help me further dislike this game and being stuck fighting in orr.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    There is always Frostgorge, it is a lot less filled with crap than Orr and have plenty of exploration places (even though the mines in it takes fighting unless you like me have stealth).
  • AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

I love it. MOst of the game (not counting dungeons) is very easy so it makes sence that end game areas are packed with mobs that want to kill you on your every step. Mostly I didn't have problems moving around tho it can be annoying sometimes.

Early on it might be best to get someone to go with or just look for other people there. Overall I think it's good that final areas of the game are a bit tougher. Level 80 will spend lot of time there getting materials and doing events and it wouldn't be good if content became facerolling on keyboard very fast.

Challenge is good

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

A Friend of mine said the same about Orr, and he also plays mesmer. (Guess that's the disadvantage of a class who needs to build up utility during a fight).

As a Warrior i can fight or ignore (run past) freely in Orr.
    The pull fest is annoying (and i'm not going to bother to equip 3 stability utility skills just to still get pull-knockdowned in between). Though you can time your dodge to avoid some pulls.

The Warhorn's CHARGE + Signet of Rage can give you infinte +33% runspeed as well as an root/snare-removal.

Orr's annoyance mostly depends on how well your Server actually plays in that zone (or lately how many bots run around). Point in Case, my lvl 11 Guardian made it all the way up to Arah on his own.
    If certain three waynodes are hold you just need to time the dodge right to run past those "few" purifiers at any given moment.

I personaly would wish for more enemies but with way less snare / pull / root spam.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I play warrior and i had no problem at all getting through Orr. You guys just aren't very good at the game.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I think Orr is brilliant. It's a mad, chaotic scramble all the way and I love it. I'ts been done exactly the way it should be, considering it's the last area and the home of Zhaitan and his horde of risen followers. If Anet had made it any easier it would be just another boring MMO.

I don't think you need to be some "hardcore nutcase" to be able to cope with Orr, you just need to be awake and looking at your screen.

I agree, I like that Orr is different from other zones. However, there are people who don't want to be "awake and looking at your screen", they want to relax without having to be on the edge. This is the reason for why many people don't like Open PvP: they don't want to be constantly "awake and looking at your screen". 

So Arenanet has too ask themselves who they want to cater to. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Loke666
    There is always Frostgorge, it is a lot less filled with crap than Orr and have plenty of exploration places (even though the mines in it takes fighting unless you like me have stealth).

Hadn't been there but spent last evening exploring it. A level 70-80 area that plays like the 1-70 zones with some interesting stories. Even got to kill an ice dragon and his level 83 champ and veteran minions. Fun place... highly recommended.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED