Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire - Part 2

1222324252628»

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by botrytis

I wouldn't trust Xfire numbers - as I said in MANY threads about Xfire - all it does is show trends of Xfire users, not the game itself. You can't prove that Xfire is representative of gamers in general - the only way Xfire numbers would be valid is to knwo the % of a game's palyers which use Xfire and no one knows that.

Xfire numbers show what Xfire users do, nothing more.

As people have said to your response every time, that is not correct.

First, knowing the percentage of a game's userbase that uses XFire does nothing extra to say that XFire users are decreasing/increasing at the same rate as the others. What you are saying is needed is actually 100% irrelevant. The only point you could try to argue with that extra piece of information is the actual subscriber/player numbers for the title (and you would inevitably argue you couldn't prove that based on XFire numbers anyway).

XFire users are a sample group of the game as a whole, you can easily and correctly use such numbers to show that the number of players in a game are going down or up.

You would not see a time where XFire users for a specific game shot up as the overall population of the game declined or vice versa.

In other words it is a perfectly valid correlation to what is happening in the game. At no point in time could you ever use it to say "The game has this exact number of players" but that isn't what people are using it for.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by botrytis I wouldn't trust Xfire numbers - as I said in MANY threads about Xfire - all it does is show trends of Xfire users, not the game itself. You can't prove that Xfire is representative of gamers in general - the only way Xfire numbers would be valid is to knwo the % of a game's palyers which use Xfire and no one knows that.   Xfire numbers show what Xfire users do, nothing more.
    As people have said to your response every time, that is not correct.

First, knowing the percentage of a game's userbase that uses XFire does nothing extra to say that XFire users are decreasing/increasing at the same rate as the others. What you are saying is needed is actually 100% irrelevant. The only point you could try to argue with that extra piece of information is the actual subscriber/player numbers for the title (and you would inevitably argue you couldn't prove that based on XFire numbers anyway).

XFire users are a sample group of the game as a whole, you can easily and correctly use such numbers to show that the number of players in a game are going down or up.

You would not see a time where XFire users for a specific game shot up as the overall population of the game declined or vice versa.

In other words it is a perfectly valid correlation to what is happening in the game. At no point in time could you ever use it to say "The game has this exact number of players" but that isn't what people are using it for.

If you'll read back through this thread, a good many people are using it to predict actual populations of the game(s). They are also using it to predict specific drops in player numbers of percentages of the player base. They are using other game's XFire numbers and using those numbers to predict game populations for the game under discussion as well.

You might not be using it to do that, but people on this website are.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by botrytis
    I wouldn't trust Xfire numbers - as I said in MANY threads about Xfire - all it does is show trends of Xfire users, not the game itself....

Xfire numbers show what Xfire users do, nothing more.

Assuming that what you say it's true. It's amazing coincidence that game's XFire numbers - which tell nothing of game's population trends - jump up around the time the game is released. I wonder what causes that jump.

This discussion has been closed.