Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW worth 18 dollars a month subscription ?

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Would have no problem paying $18 because it's a game I enjoy. I don't speed through content though and the monthly updates are always adding more. There's enough different about TSW - level less system, all skills available for builds, investigation quests,excellent atmosphere and story, modern day conspiracy/horror setting, challenging combat, excellent dungeons, good community and rp - definitely worth $18. It's certainly not a "wow clone."
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    If boring combat mechanics (granted, my opinion, but you asked) don't bother you, then yes. The mission distribution and the missions in general make it worth it. If combat mechanics weigh heavily on your play style, then you'll get bored pretty quickly.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I reckon its more than worth the box price (with the steam sale) and an extra months sub to burn through the story.

It IS a very good rpg. It's just lacking in the mmo department.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    Originally posted by Kuppa

I don't know were you are from but college in the US can be VERY expensive. Last thing you want to do is spend your money on a sub if you can't afford tuition.

But, this is really besides the point. When I look at wether or not a game is worth purchasing for me I don't compare it to how must does a movie cost or going bowling cost me. I compare it to other video games. Like I said mmos have been heavily overpriced in the past and right now with F2P and B2P paying a sub just doesn't make ANY sense to me.

? Come on... 15 dollars? For many hours, evenings and weekends of entertainment?

But sure, it can be a principle thing for some, I get that. If I see an MMO with a higher sub fee than others, I'd be principally against it too, and if it'd grate enough then I'd take this into my considering playing the game or not. Same with competition: if there are singleplayer games, multiplayer games or F2P MMO's that I like to play as much as a P2P MMO, then they're likelier to be chosen than a P2P MMO. But if I'm really interested and like to play an MMORPG, that 15-20 dollars won't be something I'd be hindered by. Like said, there are other activities and entertainment that are often more cost effective to lessen them. Anyway, that's how I see it. I think I've said all I can say about it, to each their own choices and money handling.

Good to see you understand why, its really out of principle. I wont pay more for a game when an equal or better game will not cost me that much. Regardless of wether or not its cheaper than going to the movies. It makes no sense to me, in principle, to pay for a game that is asking for more than its competitors even though its less than going to Disney Land image

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    To me, no game is worth any subscription.  IMO if a game can't make it on box sale and/or non Pay2Win CS, then it's probably not worth it.

It's not about the game being able to make it without a subscription. It's whether you want consistent content. For example, GW2, a game that's sold 2 million copies, hasn't received a content update yet more than a month after launch, while a game with a much lower playerbase is receiving content every month at a consistent pace. This is in no way bashing GW2, I think it's a great game. But I feel like it'll be a repeat of GW1 - no content updates outside of paid expansions except a few times a year if that. I know they said otherwise, how players are entitles to free updates, but I'll believe it when I see it. No B2P game has yet shown they can keep the content coming without charging.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    For those of you who wished a comparrison between TSW and other MMOs in the UK . The average subscription fee is around 9 pounds . So TSW is roughly two pounds fifty pence more .
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I think the subs should be lower on any game. Example, Rift, if you sub for  months you get one fee, 1 year it is lower. $18.00 may not seem like alot but it is $216.00 a year in fees. It does add up. Especially when you have other sub games, etc.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by david361107
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

just thought this was funny "typical wow style thempark".

TSW is a pretty cool game, I'm currently playing after buying GW2 and finding out that is is the real "typical wow style themepark" and really boring as hell. TSW is different and if you don't want different then don't buy it or pay the sub.

Combat: its the first MMO in years that I've got excited about the combat. looking at other AAA MMO's out there TSW's combat is much better.

Dumbed down: Now if you are like the standard WOW or GW2 Player where you can't really build a character to be your own then you should pass on TSW. TSW actually makes you think when you play and when you build your character. They don't AUTO build your character like the others do.

Quest: in GW2 I really didn't have to do anything to complete Quest or whatever they call it. In TSW you have to think and sometimes actually look for help.

Bottom line: TSW is different and harder than any other MMO out there right now. Also because the talent tree and quest aren't so easy it weeds out the kids too so that makes it much better.

Peace

Lascer

Not sure why you have to be so agresive and bring GW2 into the conversation? This unfortunately happens with every TSW thread, some TSW fan has to bring another game to "defend" theirs..

Both games are fun and worth checking out. The question is werether or not paying a sub makes sense.

Probably the same reason Davisflight brought up WoW.  It makes for ease of comparison.  You might want to ease off the paranoia a bit..just saying

Oh to OP..Im paying my 15/month but idk..if ALL standard MMOs where you at cost 18/mo than yah I would pay it.  But if it is an elevated price idk...its a great game IMO but not worth paying "extra" for ( NO game is IMO)..but I reiterate...if 18/mo is what your going to pay anyways then sure.

The thing is, TSW doesn't feel like an MMORPG. MMOs got away with charging for monthly fees for very good reasons, you needed a lot of server horsepower to get thousands of people in the same game world, sometimes hundreds in the same zone/area.

TSW is largely instanced and singleplayer, and what you're paying for are "quests". Which don't come fast enough to be worth the price. Nor does it feel like an MMO. It was made by a guy who has only ever made singleplayer games, but Funcom made him slap on multiplayer and charge a monthly fee for it.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).

I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.

That's why I'm often dumbfounded at seeing how fussy people can get on these forums about such a low amount of money, especially when seeing the age that many are supposed to have. I know the economy can be bad, but most entertainment activities cost quite some more than 15 dollars, often for far less hours of fun and a lower return on investment.

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong.

How do you figure?  A movie is as expensive as a Month of MMO play.  It might be shallow to you..but its not wrong.

You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation.

Were not..nobody makes them play MMOs. So they pay like the rest of us ( on sub games) or they dont play.  Their situation is irrelevant.

Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in.

Thats your opinion. I happen to disagree.

And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

Ok, I dont necessarily disagree with you on this bit.  Im pretty sure all games will eventuallly be FTP with CS

My first argument is pertaining to expecting others to use their money like you do. Saying that he is "dumbfounded" that they don't spend money like he does its what I disagree with.

Not sure how you disagree with paying is a sub is more expensive than a flat price video game.

In my opinion most box video games (non _MMO) are meant to be bought  and finished in a week so I can  go buy another.  Yes there are examples taht do not adhere to my belief but for the most part ...Even if It takes me a month to finish a game..I still wil have to buy another box 50 to 60 dollars.  If i buy antoher box in the MMO world the costs are the same but If said game keeps me for even one month..i pay 15 as  opposed to  another 50.  Hence, in my opinon  atleast, MMOs are by far the cheapest of digital entertainment.   Now with your statement Im assuming your talking about GW2 as the flatprice game ..where as I am thinking more along the lines of Crysis 2. 

Which is what he have been doing forever. The amount of content and/or entertainment value in many cases does not warrant a sub compared to flat price games. Especially now that mmos are changing their business models.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by roo67
    For those of you who wished a comparrison between TSW and other MMOs in the UK . The average subscription fee is around 9 pounds . So TSW is roughly two pounds fifty pence more .

Damn, is there any reason as to why?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

You had hundreds of people in the same area in tsw (well at launch)

It's not like Swtor. You do see other people.

I think the game would have worked betters as a sprpg with 4 player coop like l4d though. Having hundreds of players running around doesn't fit the horror theme though. Also they could have changed the game world heavily through player action that way e.g. your a templar, after finishing kingsmouth the first time the place gets nuked, if you invite 3 friends into your game its now all radiation and stuff.
    The £9 is from time of wow launch when sterling was very very strong, the dollar was weak and the euro was middleling.
    Back in 2004 you got just over $2 to £1 and around €1.8

Now its more like around 1.6 to the pound for both.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

Someone who obviously never set foot in the game and has just picked up on what others have said, this type of response is just sad.

The game is worth a sub, it offers you a more mature and serious game than you could ever find in the likes of WoW, it's so far removed from others in it's genre that it seems to be getting punished for being so different.

Funcom are pumping out the content, as promised, and it's all interesting stuff, with a deep background and plenty of challenging quests to keep you going for hours on end.

Don't listen to the nay sayers or those that are just spouting the same old tired drivel they read on some other thread, look around for the serious reviews and you will see that this is a gem of a game, it still needs to be fleshed out more to really shine but if Funcom can keep pushing out those episodes then by the end of the first year it will have plenty going for it, as with all new MMO's it takes time to build up a decent back catalogue of content.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Its worth it, i love this game. compared to what ive been playing there is much more thought put into this game than others. for RPers the RP server is more than just a title, i walked into the ingame bar in london and was swarmed with IC conversation. Grim and Cerberous is constantly swarming with PVP. Its not a big feature but they are shaping the game to have decisions matter later on. as it stand depending on which actions you choose at the end of each story mission changes what the ending cutscene is. i have a feeling in the end this WILL matter. If you sit down and read the lore you will start putting connections between dungeons, For example there are 2 dungeon that happen in different times (one is a trip to the past) where the person that saves you is Mutated and a boss in another. however unless you read the lore you will never know.

There are also Specific quests that only certian factions get. so the reason to play the other factions is there if your a story Buff. NIghtmare Dungeons have been some of the hardest yet. Its not a simple burn boss tank and spank either. One fight the boss lets out a massive Wave attack that can one hit anyone if they are hit. in Normal and Elite everyone hides behind a pillar and goes back into fighting the boss. In Nightmare, The Tank needs to Teleport though wave and impair the boss so that the DPS and heals can get back without having a barrage of attacks lock them down at the pillar which is a Damage Zone.

Content is being constantly added without using the "Expansion" word. we are getting a entire new zone added in early 2013, There has been only one delay on content and then we got the next one a week later on schedual. Currently a Halloween event is being put into the works to be released mid october, and the Raid is being released at that time aswell.

I will also say that this game requires you to figure out your build. The ingame Decks that can be used as examples will keep you alive however wont be near strong enough to pull you into endgame. I tell everyone i meet in Kingsmouth that is asking about abilities to start with a deck and modify it as you go. each deck explains the theory about the deck, if it is how you want to play then its a great starting point.

The downside i will say is that yes the game is buggy. the weird part is Certian quests are bugged on certian servers. (Singing stones for example is bugged on arcadia but fine on cerberous) There are also exploits that they are working to iron out and they are a little slow doing that.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You had hundreds of people in the same area in tsw (well at launch)

It's not like Swtor. You do see other people.

I think the game would have worked betters as a sprpg with 4 player coop like l4d though. Having hundreds of players running around doesn't fit the horror theme though. Also they could have changed the game world heavily through player action that way e.g. your a templar, after finishing kingsmouth the first time the place gets nuked, if you invite 3 friends into your game its now all radiation and stuff.

Sounds pretty cool IMO, I would be playing still, I'm still mad about the cabin in the woods expansion not releasing for L4D...smh.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

The thing is, TSW doesn't feel like an MMORPG.

I'd disagree with that. It's just as much an MMO as the recent games in the genre, and even moreso IMO. Just take a look at the next update for example - adding a theatre where people can put on plays, where others judge the act and can extend the time or even pay. What makes, for say, WoW more MMO than TSW?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).

I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.

That's why I'm often dumbfounded at seeing how fussy people can get on these forums about such a low amount of money, especially when seeing the age that many are supposed to have. I know the economy can be bad, but most entertainment activities cost quite some more than 15 dollars, often for far less hours of fun and a lower return on investment.

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong.

How do you figure?  A movie is as expensive as a Month of MMO play.  It might be shallow to you..but its not wrong.

You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation.

Were not..nobody makes them play MMOs. So they pay like the rest of us ( on sub games) or they dont play.  Their situation is irrelevant.

Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in.

Thats your opinion. I happen to disagree.

And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

Ok, I dont necessarily disagree with you on this bit.  Im pretty sure all games will eventuallly be FTP with CS

My first argument is pertaining to expecting others to use their money like you do. Saying that he is "dumbfounded" that they don't spend money like he does its what I disagree with.

Not sure how you disagree with paying is a sub is more expensive than a flat price video game.

In my opinion most box video games (non _MMO) are meant to be bought  and finished in a week so I can  go buy another.  Yes there are examples taht do not adhere to my belief but for the most part ...Even if It takes me a month to finish a game..I still wil have to buy another box 50 to 60 dollars.  If i buy antoher box in the MMO world the costs are the same but If said game keeps me for even one month..i pay 15 as  opposed to  another 50.  Hence, in my opinon  atleast, MMOs are by far the cheapest of digital entertainment.   Now with your statement Im assuming your talking about GW2 as the flatprice game ..where as I am thinking more along the lines of Crysis 2. 

Which is what he have been doing forever. The amount of content and/or entertainment value in many cases does not warrant a sub compared to flat price games. Especially now that mmos are changing their business models.

I disagree, because there are more than PLENTY of games that cost a box price and last way more then a week. In regards to the mmo genre there are tons of f2p mmos and gw2 will probably make the b2p market more accessible for others, I don't see a reason to pay a sub when there are so many other options(competitors) in the video game industry. Again I don't compare it to other forms of entertainment, that is irrelevant to me especially when it can't even compete inside its own genre.

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    TSW seems to have an arrogance about it that keeps people away. You buy the game, pay 18 dollars a month(in europe) and they have a cash shop ingame. I'm sure it's a great game..... But, this is the biggest moneygrab I've seen in awhile and can't help but feeling 6-12 months from now will hear about an announcement for f2p. If this was 2004 I'd say hey go for it.(on the sub price not the unholy trinity of cs/p2p/b2p)its a bit more for a typical sub but you'll get your monies worth. This is 2012 though....where p2p games get beaten over the head on a daily basis.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by roo67
    Ok in the USA its not 18 dollars but in the UK its 11.49 uk pounds which roughly is 18 dollars . So my question for UK players is it worth the inflated subscription and to USA players would you play it if it were 18 dollars a month in your country ?

I dont understand the point of these questions.  How would someone else know what you like and if its a good transaction for you?  If you are looking for advice at least add some information about what you like in a game so they can have an appropiate context to respond too.

18 dollars is cheap to me.  If I like the game I would pay it.  I have several monthly subscriptions running now.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

TSW is a pretty cool game, I'm currently playing after buying GW2 and finding out that is is the real "typical wow style themepark" and really boring as hell. TSW is different and if you don't want different then don't buy it or pay the sub.

Combat: its the first MMO in years that I've got excited about the combat. looking at other AAA MMO's out there TSW's combat is much better.

Dumbed down: Now if you are like the standard WOW or GW2 Player where you can't really build a character to be your own then you should pass on TSW. TSW actually makes you think when you play and when you build your character. They don't AUTO build your character like the others do.

Quest: in GW2 I really didn't have to do anything to complete Quest or whatever they call it. In TSW you have to think and sometimes actually look for help.

Bottom line: TSW is different and harder than any other MMO out there right now. Also because the talent tree and quest aren't so easy it weeds out the kids too so that makes it much better.

Peace

Lascer

Have you played TSW endgame? There are cookie cutter builds for every role. Sure you can run around with a subpar build but have fun trying to get in endgame content groups. TSW is no more complex than any other game out there. They just threw on a new skin... theres a reason for its current pop

Originally posted by Preacher26

Have you played TSW endgame? Their are cookie cutter builds for every role. Sure you can run around with a subpar build but have fun trying to get in endgame content groups. TSW is no more complex than any other game out there. They just threw on a new skin... theres a reason for its current pop

Disagree. There's a thread on the official forums where people posted tactics for Nightmare dungeons, didn't see one cookie cutter build besides the Fist healing.

Each weapon has it's use, yea, but there's more than a few builds for each weapon that's effective at even Nightmare dungeons.

Edit: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 The building section of the official forums. Tons of different builds for all gameplay, including endgame.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Peace

Lascer

Have you played TSW endgame? There are cookie cutter builds for every role. Sure you can run around with a subpar build but have fun trying to get in endgame content groups. TSW is no more complex than any other game out there. They just threw on a new skin... theres a reason for its current pop

I actually gotta ask, have YOU played TSW endgame. My build changes depending on what instance we are running. people have been releasing their builds on places like Unfair however they rarely work for every dungeon. Not to mention having a "One size Fits all" build would require having all 10.4 gear and people experianced in every fight. i honestly think you have no clue what you talking about.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I think its worth the sub price, in fact I been border line ordering the masters edition that gets you a lifetum sub.   The game is not for everybody but its only the 2nd game that I ever considered buying the lifetime option.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Yes.

WoW was so much less "game" at release than this one, and TSW offers so many more options for the future. It really is the only mmo I currently feel is worth investing in with that monthly subscription.

Even though Ive been playing Guild Wars 2 and about to spend an inordinate amount of time in Borderlands 2 - I keep my Secret World subscription going. I do not want to see the only adult oriented contemporary mmo on the market fail because I did not support it, and I know Im going to be back there soon enough.