Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOP pure fun Nuff said

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-review-in-progressIGN gives excelent review about MOP  and i agree with that 100%. Best expansion so far---

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I'd say so far MOP is best expansion since Wrath and I consider Wrath to have been superior to TBC.  The paceing, quest varitey and overall charm of the game is spot on... so far.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I played MOP a bit .. here is what i think.

1) 90% of the quests are similar to what we have before. However, there are some pretty cool scripted quests (like the sniper COD style quest). I am not terribly impressed.

2) The new land is pretty well made, and different.

3) The new dungeons (have only seen 2 so far) are good, but not head and shoulders above WOTLK or CATA.

4) I do like the new talent set up. You actually get to pick abiltiies, instead of just points. Wish there are MORE abilities to pick though.

5) I have not tried the new pokemon system, although i saw my son playing it. It is basically 3D pokemon.

I think it is fun enough that i will play up till 90 and get LFR gear .. but probably won't be devoting major time like before.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

There is absolutely no question that Blizzard is the best at quest leveling content.  I can completely understand preferring GW2s style instead, but other than that WoW is head and shoulders above the competition.  

They are also head and shoulders above anyone in creating memorable characters.  And memorable moments.  The event that you get for completeing Jade Forest, Valley of the Four Winds and Krasarang Wilds is awesome (though not wrathgate awesome) and its the characters that make it so.

The combat feels stale though, especially since you only gain two new abilities the entire expansion.  Its still better than any of its kind, but GW2 and TERA are just better.

Dungeons are dungeons.  I havent tried challenge mode yet, and thats where the potential for things to get interesting lies with gear normalization.  Even if heroic mode dungeons are dificult at launch, they arent a month later once you out gear them.  Im expecting challenge mode dungeons to be easier than Blizzard intended but the next set to be coser to what they ahd in mind.

The thing thats *not* discussed much about MoP, is the exploration aspect.  there are lore things scattered around, as well as some items to get you a 100g if you explore down that tunnel that no quest sends you too.

They have also succeeded in giving more things to do.  

I think Wrath up through Ulduar was WoW's best expansion until it went sharply downhill after, and if 5.1 succeeds in making Krasarang a war zone MoP might be right up there with it.  

• macrowowmacrowow Member Posts: 26

Ulduar was one of the best raids ever IMO. MOP has the best questing ever, except as you mentioned the Wrathgate line. The voice overs really make it wonderful. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The pokemon stuff actually sounds quite good, I hope gw2 borrows the idea.

Won't buy wow though, no WvW and too much emphasis on raids.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-review-in-progressIGN gives excelent review about MOP  and i agree with that 100%. Best expansion so far---
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

When people have a bad experience with something, it really doesn't matter how good or bad that thing really is. They will always have that first impression that left a bad taste in their mouth. It's happened to me with plenty of high rated companies and products that I will now never use because of a poor first impression.

He comes off a bit harsh with his initial criticism, and his experience is a bit dated, but his opinion is no less valid than those of us who think the game is still really good.

The only thing I will correct for him... The posted article gives no review score. This isn't a "perfect 10" type of situation. IGN is notorious for paid reviews with high scores, but this was just an article about the writer's experience with no scores given.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    i like it.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by rygard49

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

When people have a bad experience with something, it really doesn't matter how good or bad that thing really is. They will always have that first impression that left a bad taste in their mouth. It's happened to me with plenty of high rated companies and products that I will now never use because of a poor first impression.

He comes off a bit harsh with his initial criticism, and his experience is a bit dated, but his opinion is no less valid than those of us who think the game is still really good.

The only thing I will correct for him... The posted article gives no review score. This isn't a "perfect 10" type of situation. IGN is notorious for paid reviews with high scores, but this was just an article about the writer's experience with no scores given.

I wasn't speaking about a score persay, but more towards the overall "theme" of said review.

Also, there's a misnomer that you have to physically play a game for YEARS, or even MONTHS, to understand how it plays and what "End Game" is like for said product.

It is the inexperienced with online games that don't understand this concept, but once you know enough of how PR spins go.....how in-game footage looks....how developers tend to "bleed" their product out towards the customer trying to make it sound new and different when it obviously isn't from BETA & Initial Release or "Trials" they give.

I know that sounds "harsh", but it is the honest truth. You know, on a personal level, what you like and dislike without having to have someone else tell you. I know that WoW's gameplay is overly simplistic, hand-holding, glowy quest-icon ease-of-use mechanics aren't for me. I like a challenge, I enjoy winning something that actually has meaning, and I enjoy hardwork & skill based objectives. Sandboxes encompass these personal requirements that make a "Virtual World" rather than a Themepark with "rides" that are "hand-crafted" by the developers for everyone to ride.

I'm just saying that IGN is known for paid reviews, and the OP stating his opinion as "fact" is troublesome.

ps: this isn't orange :)

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

[mod edit]

I was in the closed beta for over three months, want to hear my criticism on the subject?

You won't like what I have to say.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    One spell I used to use to add to my dps can now only be used as a finisher on my priest

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I agree, MoP is fun as hell, and Blizzard is still the best in the biz (at least when it comes to MMO's.)

Monk is a lot of fun, and although there are way too many of them at the moment, I'm sure that'll all smooth out later and we'll start seeing more variety in class/race again.

I haven't been playing the end-game just yet, or any of the 85+ content, but I'm looking forward to it. I do have a feeling that the COMMUNITY will drive me away again come 90, but whatever.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I enjoyed every single expansion in wow when i played but unfortunately for me i am totally burned and i do mean "scorched" with wow, im just glad GW2 came out or i wouldnt be playing anything at all..

There is no doubt in my mind that the panda expansion is awesome for the players that still dig wow but i have been there and done that for to many years..

Playing GW2..

I wasn't speaking about a score persay, but more towards the overall "theme" of said review.

Also, there's a misnomer that you have to physically play a game for YEARS, or even MONTHS, to understand how it plays and what "End Game" is like for said product.

It is the inexperienced with online games that don't understand this concept, but once you know enough of how PR spins go.....how in-game footage looks....how developers tend to "bleed" their product out towards the customer trying to make it sound new and different when it obviously isn't from BETA & Initial Release or "Trials" they give.

I know that sounds "harsh", but it is the honest truth. You know, on a personal level, what you like and dislike without having to have someone else tell you. I know that WoW's gameplay is overly simplistic, hand-holding, glowy quest-icon ease-of-use mechanics aren't for me. I like a challenge, I enjoy winning something that actually has meaning, and I enjoy hardwork & skill based objectives. Sandboxes encompass these personal requirements that make a "Virtual World" rather than a Themepark with "rides" that are "hand-crafted" by the developers for everyone to ride.

I'm just saying that IGN is known for paid reviews, and the OP stating his opinion as "fact" is troublesome.

Yeah I can definitely see anything posted from IGN being suspect. I learned long ago to not trust many reviewers in this industry.

But you know that PR spin only applies to getting someone's foot in the door. There's no PR spin that will ever convince someone that they're having a great time when they're not. And what you dislike about the OP stating his opinion as fact, you're guilty of as well.

You're saying here, as a fact, that wow isn't just simplified but is almost childlike in it's ease. I would submit that it depends which portion of the game you're talking about, as much if it built to be very easy, but much of it is also meant for skilled players. It's also very probable that your skill at gaming and desire for challenge greatly colors your opinion about what is "too easy" or "simplistic" about the game.

I agree with you that sandboxes would be a more personally enjoyable experience, but I haven't met the contemporary sandbox yet that lives up to titles like Ultima Online, or that keep drawing me back like the fun I have playing WoW.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I played MOP a bit .. here is what i think.

he new dungeons (have only seen 2 so far) are good, but not head and shoulders above WOTLK or CATA.

4) I do like the new talent set up. You actually get to pick abiltiies, instead of just points. Wish there are MORE abilities to pick though.

I have been mainly playing an Affliction Warlock. In Vanilla I had various setups I could use depending on the second tree I chose. In Cataclysm I had one setup and that was it. The new talent tree has given me choices again. I have as many different setups to choose from as I did in Vanilla.

The downside I have found is when levelling a monk from level 1. Now I only get a talent choice to make every 15 levels. Instead of the gradual point by point progression I get several levels of no progression followed by a jump.

Overall though I definately vote for the new talent trees.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Not sure why post even got edited, but someone who admitted to not having played a game more than a couple hours, and that was 5 years ago, calling an expansion a subpar product is not a valid opinion.  Thats like sayng i saw 5 minutes of the Hulk movie and I thought it was trash therefore The Avengers sucks.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Not sure why post even got edited, but someone who admitted to not having played a game more than a couple hours, and that was 5 years ago, calling an expansion a subpar product is not a valid opinion.  Thats like sayng i saw 5 minutes of the Hulk movie and I thought it was trash therefore The Avengers sucks.

Well we can argue about whether his opinion is well informed or not, but opinions aren't facts. If he didn't like the game 5 years ago, he's likely not going to like it today, and I don't think it's changed so drastically with the expansion that it would sway his opinion. I was really just pointing out that he's entitled to his narrow views of the game despite what we say.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Well we can argue about whether his opinion is well informed or not, but opinions aren't facts. If he didn't like the game 5 years ago, he's likely not going to like it today, and I don't think it's changed so drastically with the expansion that it would sway his opinion. I was really just pointing out that he's entitled to his narrow views of the game despite what we say.

True, but calling the expansion substandard quality is asinine.  Not liking it is fine.  But it certainly isn't substandard quality.

And while review scores always need to be taken with a grain of salt, but the posted link is certainly honest.  I don't see how when can possibly think it isnt after reading it.  It iswritten by a fan of the game and the target audience for the expansion, but its not a one sided piece by any stretch.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I think Blizz did a great job with the new zones particularly the music and overall atmosphere.  The questing just feels very dated and linear after playing GW2.  

I'm not sure how I feel about the new talent system.  I like the concept of getting away from cookie-cutter builds but I just feel like the new system isn't necessarily the answer.