Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race Decline: Do you want to see more Playable Races in Future MMOs?

2»

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Quality and well thought out races... yes.  GW2 did a very good job at really giving their races some personalities unlike other companies.  Usually you have that tyical elf, dwarf, human with not distinction or sense of characteristic and are just bland races that the only preference is the model.

Personality? How exactly did they give their races personality?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        I think the days of unique races in unique starting areas are just about over....Its too much work for the devs to do this apparently and now we get a couple races with one starting area.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Yeah, but don't hate on the originals either.   Before you add the extras make sure you got the elf, drow, dwarf.  Frag the humans, useless creatures.  And Mithras.  Oh, wait, that would be copywrited.  Omg, why don't more games have Mithras!  

Pleeeze, someone make a game with Manthras!  Not bulked but skinny, little pretty things that play with their tails.  Pleeeeeeeeeeze.

Oh, and vampires if done right.  What kind of idiot makes a vampire that doesn't drink blood?  Every fraken vamp movie/show/game you never see them drink blood!  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Handsome but no Twilight pussies.  

• strangewizardstrangewizard Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Yamota

I want to see more playable races which are actually different beside the looks. So if you have a giant wolf like race then it should be far stronger and far more fit to be a plate wearing, massive 2H sword wielder than a tiny gnome. Other races should be far better suited for mage type of professions etc.

Lately it seems that race has, to make it easier for devs to balance, just been different in the ways the models look.

The issue with this is it basically forces people to chose the better race, or be severely gimped.

A simple workout around is to either have unique classes for each race, which is something I'd love to see.

An orc and a human shouldn't have identical fighting styles, neither should their magic be the same.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'm less interested in how many playable races there are, and more with having a solid game with decent mechanics, that brings something new and exciting to the table, rather than another tired, carbon copy of a game we've seen before with a new skin.

Once we're happy that it's a decent game then we can look at races to choose from. I'm tired of the same choices. Human, Elf, Dwarf blah blah. Been there done that.

Show me something different and I might get excited, otherwise it's not something I'm going to be too bothered about, just another standard  MMO with the same race choices as always. At which point I don't care if there' 5 or 25.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Dwarves. As long as there is a Dwarven race to choose from, I'm good.

/shrug

I also like furries, but not for my main. Don't judge me.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by strangewizard
    Originally posted by Yamota

I want to see more playable races which are actually different beside the looks. So if you have a giant wolf like race then it should be far stronger and far more fit to be a plate wearing, massive 2H sword wielder than a tiny gnome. Other races should be far better suited for mage type of professions etc.

Lately it seems that race has, to make it easier for devs to balance, just been different in the ways the models look.

The issue with this is it basically forces people to chose the better race, or be severely gimped.

A simple workout around is to either have unique classes for each race, which is something I'd love to see.

An orc and a human shouldn't have identical fighting styles, neither should their magic be the same.

Not necessarily. DAOC used multiple races for each class, and while each race brought its own advantage, it didn't favor any race so much so that you saw mostly all one vs another.

They accomplished this by making the variances somewhat small, and certain choices favored different weapon builds.

I recall on my Alb infiltrator, one race favored the use of daggers and the other major choice favored swords.  Both did different sorts of damage against different armors, so it made a difference, but neither one was a run away choice. (except perhaps to the die hard min-maxers)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

The amount of races doesnt matter to me as long as customization is substantial such as STO, Aion, COH/COV etc.

One of the big issues I have  is the "child-like" races introduced in some games. IMO its creepy and makes me wonder whats going through some of the deveopers heads.....

***Raises plunger in salute to NFL cheerleaders everywhere!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• strangewizardstrangewizard Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Not necessarily. DAOC used multiple races for each class, and while each race brought its own advantage, it didn't favor any race so much so that you saw mostly all one vs another.

They accomplished this by making the variances somewhat small, and certain choices favored different weapon builds.

I recall on my Alb infiltrator, one race favored the use of daggers and the other major choice favored swords.  Both did different sorts of damage against different armors, so it made a difference, but neither one was a run away choice. (except perhaps to the die hard min-maxers)

The issue with this is the differences become so minor that it isn't really what he's refering to, although it isn't a bad system. The reason I think each race should have different classes, is that copying a class across races makes each race feel stock, and you don't see the different philosophies and cultures and physiques reflected in the classes.

An elf warrior for example would make use of their agility and fighting precision, but weaker attacks, whereas a dwarf warrior would make more use of pure strength and heavy, but slow blows. So to suit these differences more, the elf might use a weapon like a pole-arm that gives the elf greater ability to manevour around a target, whereas the dwarf would use a heavy warhammed for slow, but very powerful and lethal swings.

If both the elf and dwarf use a sword and shield, it completely kills the uniqueness of each race.

Not just weapon selection, but types of moves as well. The elf should be using graceful attacks and focusing on parrying, whereas I'd the dwarf having more moves that stun or do massive damage out-right, but slower. Like the dwarf could have mighty smash which does lots of damage and stuns, whereas the elf would have graceful blows, which is three attacks in quick succession, each with greater damage than the last (just as examples). This makes the races feel different.

Or to use another example, a gnome fighter against an ogre fighter, that's really stupid if they both use the same weapons and fighting styles. The gnome should incorporate some technlogy like throwing a grenade or rolling to roll behind a target, whereas the ogre should focus on smashing the ground to make targets fly in the air, etc.

If races have the same classes, it ends up meaning races are just mostly cosmetic, or if the differences are too great, everyone takes the good one. If this game had warriors, why take say a gnome warrior with a strength of 10, over the ogre with 50 strength? And the ogre say can wear armour without mobility penalty, whereas the gnome is incumbered because of being so small?

That's why races should have different classes, because otherwise racial traits are so small they are meaningless, and races just seem like cosmetic differences, or one race becomes the best, and you pretty much are forced into it. With different classes for each race, you can avoid this issue.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well it depends,you can have 10 races but if done with no effort,super cheap like i see MOST games doing th eRACE thing,it doesn't help to have more.

You NEED racial properties and different habitat ,living areas for each race,heck some games have 1-2 starting spots,no racial attributes,just boggles my mind why people would support such a lack of effort.

My preference would be 7 very well designed races.7 starting cities.Each race has it's own unique crafts and harvests/growing ect ect.My fave game only had 5 but they did a very good job at making each unique.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296
    I would love to see more races, like starting with 10 and constanly going up with expansions. However, I'd rather just have a few well designed races than many with little lore background, unless it's a sandbox...but even then it still needs a good reason to be in the world.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale