Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW worth 18 dollars a month subscription ?

roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
Ok in the USA its not 18 dollars but in the UK its 11.49 uk pounds which roughly is 18 dollars . So my question for UK players is it worth the inflated subscription and to USA players would you play it if it were 18 dollars a month in your country ?

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Nope, I would only play it if its F2P or didn't have a sub.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    yes I have played it since launch. I felt it was worth the sub.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I guess it depends on if you enjoy the gameplay or not.  Otherwise, if you pay a sub until you've exhausted the content, which I've heard doesn't take long, you won't be too out of pocket.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Absolutely.

Hodor!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Oh absolutely not. It's your typical WoW style themepark, but they put a bit more effort into the quests, at the expense of the game world.

Look at it like this, do you mind paying monthly for a fairly short linear singleplayer game with bad combat? If yes, then go ahead and play TSW.

just thought this was funny "typical wow style thempark".

TSW is a pretty cool game, I'm currently playing after buying GW2 and finding out that is is the real "typical wow style themepark" and really boring as hell. TSW is different and if you don't want different then don't buy it or pay the sub.

Combat: its the first MMO in years that I've got excited about the combat. looking at other AAA MMO's out there TSW's combat is much better.

Dumbed down: Now if you are like the standard WOW or GW2 Player where you can't really build a character to be your own then you should pass on TSW. TSW actually makes you think when you play and when you build your character. They don't AUTO build your character like the others do.

Quest: in GW2 I really didn't have to do anything to complete Quest or whatever they call it. In TSW you have to think and sometimes actually look for help.

Bottom line: TSW is different and harder than any other MMO out there right now. Also because the talent tree and quest aren't so easy it weeds out the kids too so that makes it much better.

Peace

Lascer

Originally posted by david361107

TSW is a pretty cool game, I'm currently playing after buying GW2 and finding out that is is the real "typical wow style themepark" and really boring as hell. TSW is different and if you don't want different then don't buy it or pay the sub.

Combat: its the first MMO in years that I've got excited about the combat. looking at other AAA MMO's out there TSW's combat is much better.

Dumbed down: Now if you are like the standard WOW or GW2 Player where you can't really build a character to be your own then you should pass on TSW. TSW actually makes you think when you play and when you build your character. They don't AUTO build your character like the others do.

Quest: in GW2 I really didn't have to do anything to complete Quest or whatever they call it. In TSW you have to think and sometimes actually look for help.

Bottom line: TSW is different and harder than any other MMO out there right now. Also because the talent tree and quest aren't so easy it weeds out the kids too so that makes it much better.

Peace

Lascer

Not sure why you have to be so agresive and bring GW2 into the conversation? This unfortunately happens with every TSW thread, some TSW fan has to bring another game to "defend" theirs..

Both games are fun and worth checking out. The question is werether or not paying a sub makes sense.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).

I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.

That's why I'm often dumbfounded at seeing how fussy people can get on these forums about such a low amount of money, especially when seeing the age that many are supposed to have. I know the economy can be bad, but most entertainment activities cost quite some more than 15 dollars, often for far less hours of fun and a lower return on investment.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811
    You shouldn't be paying that on principle alone.
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).

I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.

That's why I'm often dumbfounded at seeing how fussy people can get on these forums about such a low amount of money, especially when seeing the age that many are supposed to have. I know the economy can be bad, but most entertainment activities cost quite some more than 15 dollars, often for far less hours of fun and a lower return on investment.

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong. You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation. Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in. And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    To me, no game is worth any subscription.  IMO if a game can't make it on box sale and/or non Pay2Win CS, then it's probably not worth it.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Peace

Lascer

Not sure why you have to be so agresive and bring GW2 into the conversation? This unfortunately happens with every TSW thread, some TSW fan has to bring another game to "defend" theirs..

Both games are fun and worth checking out. The question is werether or not paying a sub makes sense.

Probably the same reason Davisflight brought up WoW.  It makes for ease of comparison.  You might want to ease off the paranoia a bit..just saying

Oh to OP..Im paying my 15/month but idk..if ALL standard MMOs where you at cost 18/mo than yah I would pay it.  But if it is an elevated price idk...its a great game IMO but not worth paying "extra" for ( NO game is IMO)..but I reiterate...if 18/mo is what your going to pay anyways then sure.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I'd say it is at least until you finish the storyline and do the dungeons (excellent design on the boss fights, BTW), it's definitively worth it. It has an excellent story, great atmosphere and very good community, plus solving the investigation quests gave, at least to me, a kind of satisfaction I hadn't felt outside of the classic point and click adventure games of old. Plus, even the first dungeons can have boss fights with mechanics that rival raid ones in other games.

After that, though, your mileage might vary depending on how much you like dungeon/lair grinding for better loot and deck building (unlocking of abilities and creating the perfect setup of abilities and gear for each situation). Once you're done with the history, all that's left is lair grinding (grind harder open world monsters to collect drops that will let you summon open world bosses, which also drop other objects to summon bigger, harder bosses), dungeon grinding (5 normal dungeons in game, then the same dungeons in hard mode + 3 more dungeons that only have a hard mode and then the same 8 dungeons but now in nightmare mode), plus repeating the missions in game (almost all except history and investigation can be repeated every 3 days) to gain more points to unlock more abilities.  IMHO while the monthly updates are great, they're not reason enough to subscribe (the quests can be done within a day or two, and most of them are investigations that are great but not repeatable). That said, there's a new raid coming out later this month, plus a new adventure zone early next year.

So to sum it up:

If you like good stories, the horror setting and exercise your brain with the investigation missions, definitively worth until you're done with the story, which some people were done with in a couple weeks, personally I wasn't anywhere near it (I was starting the 5th out of 8 adventure zones) after 2 months playing.

Not worth after that if you don't enjoy dungeon gear threadmills, if you do, however, it's some of the best boss fight designs in MMOs these days, plus a new raid coming out this month.

If you liked 1 but not 2, still worth checking every few months or so to do the new monthly content added.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I do think it is worth it because I think this game is amazing; however if the sub fee for the UK is drastically over the sub fees of other games then it should be adjusted.  I know they already lowered it once, but may need to do so again to be more in line with local prices. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I dunno, if a game is fun, its worth whatever the sub fee is.  I currently pay 45.00 a month for 3 accounts in EVE because that's the way I enjoy playing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Absolutely worth the subscription. What is that for you, 2 beers out on the pub a month?

For me in Oslo, Norway its more like 1 beer... 

But if you cant afford a couple beer a month you obviously should not play this game either.

Also the game do have alot of content. There is quests enough to keep you going a long time, and when that is done you have Nightmare instances, Lairs, and pvp.

I really dont understand why some people claim there is little content, unless they spoiled all the quests and skipped toward endgame as fast as possible. There is a ton of content, quests, things to see and get. 

I have alot of fun in this game, im sure you will as well!

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    If I enjoyed the game? Hell yes. This applies to any game, not specifically TSW. I used to believe F2P was the inevitable future everyone would have to learn to adapt to. But seriously, you get what you pay for. If the current P2Ps are able to storm this current fad they might be able to navigate the storm. People pay for a product they like. If it's F2P they might blow the same amount as a monthly fee on a novelty item. But somehow if you frame that exact same expense as a sub fee they immediately clam up. P2P is a model that serves the gaming community better in the long term.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    only you can decide if its worth it. its not for me, but your experience may differ. try the 3day trial and see.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by apocoluster

Peace

Lascer

Probably the same reason Davisflight brought up WoW.  It makes for ease of comparison.  You might want to ease off the paranoia a bit..just saying

Oh to OP..Im paying my 15/month but idk..if ALL standard MMOs where you at cost 18/mo than yah I would pay it.  But if it is an elevated price idk...its a great game IMO but not worth paying "extra" for ( NO game is IMO)..but I reiterate...if 18/mo is what your going to pay anyways then sure.

Lol there is "ease of comparison" and flat out talk trash...

I think they seriously should adjust the UK fee so it'll be more near the monthly fee in other countries for TSW. That said, I'll always consider the sub fee for an MMO cheap (regardless btw whether I think an MMO company deserves to get that fee, which in the case of for example lazy ass WoW devs they don't).   I don't know how it is for other people on this site, whether they've a good job or how much pocket money they're left with after all the expenses. But to me, 15 dollars, 18 dollars, it's peanuts. When I go out a night with friends, going to a restaurant, or a club, or a movie with snacks and beverage, I've easily spent 50 dollars in a few hours. A couple of drinks in a bar, exactly the same. Heck, 3 lunches at my workplace's restaurant and I've already lost about 15 dollars.  

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong. You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation. Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in. And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

I'm not telling other people how to spend their money. I'm telling how I see it from my point of view, a position of wealth that I think most people on this site have too. Which is why I wonder how people can be that fussy about such amounts of money, but whether they want to spend it on MMO's or not is their choice. But even as a college kid, I didn't pay much heed to the 15 dollars it took me to play EQ, I had far bulkier money losses to other things incl entertainment to worry about.

Like said, the amount of hours of fun and entertainment that 15 dollars can give you with an MMORPG is a great return on investment - if you like the MMORPG you're playing ofc, that is. If not, then I'd consider the loss of time and hours a bigger one than that 15-18 dollars, but that's me.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong.

How do you figure?  A movie is as expensive as a Month of MMO play.  It might be shallow to you..but its not wrong.

You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation.

Were not..nobody makes them play MMOs. So they pay like the rest of us ( on sub games) or they dont play.  Their situation is irrelevant.

Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in.

Thats your opinion. I happen to disagree.

And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

Ok, I dont necessarily disagree with you on this bit.  Im pretty sure all games will eventuallly be FTP with CS

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

I'm not telling other people how to spend their money. I'm telling how I see it from my point of view, a position of wealth that I think most people on this site have too. Which is why I wonder how people can be that fussy about such amounts of money, but whether they want to spend it on MMO's or not is their choice. But even as a college kid, I didn't pay much heed to the 15 dollars it took me to play EQ, I had far bulkier money losses to other things incl entertainment to worry about.

Like said, the amount of hours of fun and entertainment that 15 dollars can give you with an MMORPG is a great return on investment - if you like the MMORPG you're playing ofc, that is. If not, then I'd consider the loss of time and hours a bigger one than that 15-18 dollars, but that's me.

I don't know were you are from but college in the US can be VERY expensive. Last thing you want to do is spend your money on a sub if you can't afford tuition.

But, this is really besides the point. When I look at wether or not a game is worth purchasing for me I don't compare it to how must does a movie cost or going bowling cost me. I compare it to other video games. Like I said mmos have been heavily overpriced in the past and right now with F2P and B2P paying a sub just doesn't make ANY sense to me.

Originally posted by apocoluster

I think the "Its really not that expensive, especially compared to other entertainment activites" argument is really shallow and just plain wrong.

How do you figure?  A movie is as expensive as a Month of MMO play.  It might be shallow to you..but its not wrong.

You can't really tell other people how to spend there money and you don't really know there situation.

Were not..nobody makes them play MMOs. So they pay like the rest of us ( on sub games) or they dont play.  Their situation is irrelevant.

Besides that compared to the gaming market mmos have been horribley overprised and the mmo gamers have just taken it in.

Thats your opinion. I happen to disagree.

And even now with so many F2P options and B2P might make a stay in mmos the price for a sub just doesn't make sense for me to pay in the context of the gaming market.

Ok, I dont necessarily disagree with you on this bit.  Im pretty sure all games will eventuallly be FTP with CS

My first argument is pertaining to expecting others to use their money like you do. Saying that he is "dumbfounded" that they don't spend money like he does its what I disagree with.

Not sure how you disagree with paying is a sub is more expensive than a flat price video game. Which is what he have been doing forever. The amount of content and/or entertainment value in many cases does not warrant a sub compared to flat price games. Especially now that mmos are changing their business models.

I don't know were you are from but college in the US can be VERY expensive. Last thing you want to do is spend your money on a sub if you can't afford tuition.But, this is really besides the point. When I look at wether or not a game is worth purchasing for me I don't compare it to how must does a movie cost or going bowling cost me. I compare it to other video games. Like I said mmos have been heavily overpriced in the past and right now with F2P and B2P paying a sub just doesn't make ANY sense to me.

? Come on... 15 dollars? For many hours, evenings and weekends of entertainment?

But sure, it can be a principle thing for some, I get that. If I see an MMO with a higher sub fee than others, I'd be principally against it too, and if it'd grate enough then I'd take this into my considering playing the game or not. Same with competition: if there are singleplayer games, multiplayer games or F2P MMO's that I like to play as much as a P2P MMO, then they're likelier to be chosen than a P2P MMO. But if I'm really interested and like to play an MMORPG, that 15-20 dollars won't be something I'd be hindered by. Like said, there are other activities and entertainment that are often more cost effective to lessen them. Anyway, that's how I see it. I think I've said all I can say about it, to each their own choices and money handling.

Not sure how you disagree with paying is a sub is more expensive than a flat price video game. Which is what he have been doing forever. The amount of content and/or entertainment value in many cases does not warrant a sub compared to flat price games. Especially now that mmos are changing their business models.

Wrong. I look much broader: what fun and entertainment provides an MMORPG me, a cinema visit, a restaurant, a couple of beers in a bar, a club, a singleplayer game, etc etc, how many hours of what kind of fun? If the entertainment in quality and number of hours that a certain singleplayer game can give is less than a particular MMORPG, then that singleplayer game loses for me, simple as that. If you have a different way of measuring the cost effectiveness and ROI on your entertainment money, well, good for you. Me, I find this bigger picture looking something that fits for me. Money as well as entertainment is all relative in the end, and part of a bigger whole.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Yes, IMO. Funcom has done something that no other game has since FFXI - catch my attention fully. I was 3 hours into the trial and decided to buy the game then and have no regrets. I plan on buying the lifetime sub next pay. 

The character advancement is the main selling point for me. I like how each weapon has there own special perks, something that FFXIV tried to do and didn't do right IMO. I'm training Hammer/Shotgun and I already have a nice AoE build set up that lets me take on groups of mobs. Nothing beats dodging attacks, positioning the mobs just right in the cone my build is centered around and laying off some combos. 

I like most everything else about it too. The setting, the quests that make you take notice of your surroundings and investigate, the graphics, the music/sounds, the story, the limit to 7 active skills and passives, the fact you can look how you want without gimping yourself, train every skill on one character eventually, and the community interaction from the devs.

It's not without it's downfalls as with any game, though. Character creation is poor and a majority of the choices aren't interesting (though clothing/gear choices are plenty). Crafting is unique, but has no real use at endgame besides gadgets and animas outside of upgrading Talismans/Weapons while progressing. 

But as long as Funcom pumps out the content once a month (this one looks to be really good - they're adding the games first raid and a theatre where players can put on there own show, complete with judging by other players to determine time limit and the Halloween event) they'll have my sub for awhile to come.