Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Strategic Profession

2»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by zonzai

Thanks for the great replies everyone. 

There is a certain amount of strategy to the elementalist but it is a different sort than the GW1 elementalist (which I played a lot).  How you build your character isn't actually that important in the case of the GW2 elementalist (at least not for PvE).  Weapon choice is of course much more important than other classes due to only having one weapon.  But that's the kind of thing I want to avoid.  I want to have to micromanage what skills I take not, simply what weapons I take and when to use which skills, which is mostly what elementalist calls for.  Not that it isn't strategic and fun to do so.  It's just not enough for me.

Elementalist is definitely different from the first game, in that GW1 mostly focused around 1-2 elements at a time, and you worked off that. In this game you mostly synergize between all 4, and build to favore certain ones over others. However, that doesn't mean that utilities aren't super important. 

The elementalist (more than any other class, really) does have a lot of mostly useless utilities, however they also have some really useful / versatile ones. For example 'Glyph of Storms' is an insanely versatile skill. Depending on your attunement you can either make it an AoE blind, or an AoE chill, etc. Same deal w/ the pets, the attunement you're in when you summon the pets makes a big difference, and it's the difference between a more support heavy pet, a more tanky pet, and one that will help your dmg but die easily.

The class intricacies are there, u just gotta look for them. Most of the skill complexities of the first game actually did make it into GW2, but they aren't all as obvious.

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

While I respect your opinions on elementalists, I won't be playing one because it isn't right for me. I want to find a profession closer to GW1 where every single skill slot is cruicial.  I do not feel that the elementalist gives me that.  I will try the engineer and mesmer as they both sound more like what I am looking for.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I like the idea of the engineer but with no actual melee weapon equippable I lost interest before trying it.

I'm a melee guy I hate staying at ranged fighting and in gw2 all classes but engineer can melee. (Ok they have a wrench tool which is nothing special)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

I like the idea of the engineer but with no actual melee weapon equippable I lost interest before trying it.

I'm a melee guy I hate staying at ranged fighting and in gw2 all classes but engineer can melee. (Ok they have a wrench tool which is nothing special)

Engineer can actually be a pretty respectable melee with Tool Kit and Traits that support it.

• Originally posted by zonzai

Thanks for the great replies everyone. 

There is a certain amount of strategy to the elementalist but it is a different sort than the GW1 elementalist (which I played a lot).  How you build your character isn't actually that important in the case of the GW2 elementalist (at least not for PvE).  Weapon choice is of course much more important than other classes due to only having one weapon.  But that's the kind of thing I want to avoid.  I want to have to micromanage what skills I take not, simply what weapons I take and when to use which skills, which is mostly what elementalist calls for.  Not that it isn't strategic and fun to do so.  It's just not enough for me.

i'm not defending ele like it's mine as i play all 8 classes (all above 50, and 3 at 80), but this is what i was talking about when i say it's easy to play an ele, but hard to play a good ele. your entire build is key. timing of attunement swaps, weapon choice, ability use, utility builds/choices, elite, heal, runes, traits, combos, distance, etc. all have a huge part in what makes up a pro ele. your traits can make or break you, even in PvE.

sigil builds, glyph builds, conjured weapons, arcane, mix and match, etc. also with all the elements you have a huge choice in combos. i've often found that a good ele is the foundation of most of the pro 5 man groups i run with. they tend to set up group wide buffs with attunement swaps, and lay combo fields depending on the situation.

So anybody have any opinions on anything other than the elementalist?  Or is this thread all about elementalists now?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by zonzai

So anybody have any opinions on anything other than the elementalist?  Or is this thread all about elementalists now?

Elementalist and engineer allow for the most strategizing on the go simply due to the fact they have the opporunity to use so many different skills at any given time with the widest range of effects.  Stuns, roots, heals, knockbacks, DoTs...  easily the most strategic as far as ability utilization on the go.

Strategy as far as positioning and team play,  the guardian can change the flow of battle in terms of the kinds of strategy you employ throughout teamplay.  They can focus on healing or mitigating damage, as well as controlling the flow of enemies.

The ranger has a lot of good self started combos which doesn't necessarily require much strategy to use once you get the flow of it,  but positioning is key for maximum effect and DoT.

The mesmer requires some strategy if you are focusing on counterbalancing ranged characters, or melee characters,  but overall once you get a build of any kind together, they are mostly one-note and repetitive in just about every situation.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Stayonboard

Engineer definitely -  I can't play any other profs (which is both good and bad) :(

Yep, Engineer is a fantastic character.  Just got one to 30 and got Supply Crate, Combat Suit and Golem (temporary) pet which are fun.  I usually use Healing Turret and switch between Grenades, Elixir Gun and Flamethrower depending on my mood and if I'm in an Event.  Grenades are a hell of a good weapon which few Engineers use, at least from what I've seen.

Elementalists are also a strategic character class, and if anyone thinks it isn't they're too stupid to play one.  I like Mesmer, too.  Very survivable class if you keep on the move and keep your wits about you.

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Elementalists are also a strategic character class, and if anyone thinks it isn't they're too stupid to play one.

Well at least that's better than being too stupid to read a thread before posting in it.

Weapon swapping is not the same type of strategy as having 180 skills and choosing only eight.  It's a completely different type of strategy.  Strategy of play and strategy of build.  Strategy of play is fine, but the GW2 elementalist has almost zero strategy of build compared to the GW1 elementalist.  They are different things.  As I stated clearly, I want more strategy of build than the elementalist provides. 

Now, I have tried to be nice to everybody and I know I should have been more clear on that in my original post.  I will edit it.  But shut the **** up about the elementalist already.  You guys just keep repeating the person above you over and over again.  I get that you all love the elementalist and please don't let me stop you from being BFF with them but I don't want stragey of attunement swapping.  The elementalist isn't challenging enough for me and doesn't challenge me in the way that I want to be challenged.