Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of SSD do you use?

reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I've started looking at getting a SSD for my laptop.  I'm looking for either 480GB or 512GB SSD.

Crucial M4 is 512GB for $400 and Monster Digital Daytona is 480GB for around $430 or so.

Crucial M4 claims it's read and write speed is 500MB/260MB

Monster Digital Daytona claims it's read and write speed is 550MB/515MB

I'm just wondering which is better.   If any of you using different ones, please feel free to give me some suggestions.

My budget is about $450 so anything from Samsong is out of the question. 

NOTE:  Please don't turn this thread into a "My SSD is better than you SSD" thread.  We all have our finacial limits and can only afford certain ones so we don't need to be harsh about other people's harddrives.   Thanks.

Comments

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I've gone thru 9 solid state drives since july of 2011. The best out of those was the corsair by far. Aside from my boot drive being solid state I've gone back to my 10k spindles for my main gamer.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

I use a 120 GB OCZ Agility in my desktop and a 60 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 in my laptop.  That answers the question of the thread title, but both are discontinued and not what you want to buy today.

A Crucial M4 is nice.  I've never heard of Monster Digital, but from the specs, it sounds like a SandForce controller.  The main thing that matters for performance is the SSD controller, and perhaps its firmware.

If you want a SandForce SSD, then you might as well get a cheaper one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226254

That's probably essentially the same thing as the Monster Digital one that you're looking at.

If you want a cheaper option, here's an OCZ Agility 4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227809

That uses essentially the same Marvell controller as the Crucial M4, but with different firmware.  The Crucial M4 has been around for a long time, so the firmware bugs are long since ironed out.  The OCZ Agility 4 has been on the market for a few months, and has had some major firmware changes in that time.  It's probably stable by now, but a riskier option.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I have an OCZ Vertex 4 256gb and a 128gb SSD's.  You can get either of them pretty cheap on Amazon (well within the budget you're asking).  I haven't had any issues with them to date.

I'd recommend not buying a large SSD.  Get a standard HD to store music and movies.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I've been using a 240g Corsair Force 3 SSD for 6 months now, no problems whatsoever and the speed is ridiculous.  It boot windows 7 in less than 5 secs.
  • DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

I use OCZ Agility 3 - 60 GB for my system. Cheap and good.

Normal HDD for other stuff.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    I have never heard of that monster brand, but I have 2 M4's and they have been working great for about a year now. Windows boots quickly, I have noticed a big improvement in games that require loading, etc.