Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else got hacked?

2»

Comments

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263
    Because authenticators are too mainstream. Anyway this is the first MMO that I see a bunch of people getting hacked in the first month of its release and I still think that Anet has some blame to bear, but fanboys will be fanboys.
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

So what's it gonna be OP? This is the first time something like this happens to you like you first stated? Or is it the second time, like you later stated.

See that's why you people don't get it. - I have a clean PC, superduper PW, never hand out account details to friends/guildmembers/neighbours/hot girls at clubs (what?), this is the first time something like this happens to me

And then it turns out, you are flat out lying. Maybe it's to comfort yourself for being sloppy with security, I don't know.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TrunksZ
    Because authenticators are too mainstream. Anyway this is the first MMO that I see a bunch of people getting hacked in the first month of its release and I still think that Anet has some blame to bear, but fanboys will be fanboys.

D3 is not a mmo but had similar issues w hacking during its launch month

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Originally posted by Boldyn

So what's it gonna be OP? This is the first time something like this happens to you like you first stated? Or is it the second time, like you later stated.

See that's why you people don't get it. - I have a clean PC, superduper PW, never hand out account details to friends/guildmembers/neighbours/hot girls at clubs (what?), this is the first time something like this happens to me

And then it turns out, you are flat out lying. Maybe it's to comfort yourself for being sloppy with security, I don't know.

Dude, when you write something out of frustration, your brain tends to confuse stuff. I got hacked 2 times. WoW, which was restored in 1-2 days. And now its GW2.

Yes I made a lot of gold in the first weeks and TP wasnt permanently down. Anet enabled it for a few hours and shut it down again, when they tested it. And once they opened it I was able to make money by crafting stuff, selling it and buying mats for low prices. Something that was possible in the early game. Now everyone is 80, maxed out his/her crafting, and is competing. I also exchanged my gold for gems, which was awesome at the beginning, because you were able to get up to 7-8 gems for 2 silver, now its 4-5 for 2 silver.

My twink is lvl49 and was fully equiped with rare stuff, which is now all gone too.

My password was a combination of 6 letters and 5 numbers, with the use of upper case. It wasn't that bad. But still, why cant they restore everything, like any other mmorpg company? Why cant they lock an account? Why is my case being handled by 6 ppl, and why do I have to submit some of the information _TWICE_? Shit, they wanted to know my GW1 CDKEY. I bought GW1 back in 2006, but they still asked for the damn GW1 key, after 1.5 or 2 weeks of processing.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

There actually is an IP check in place together with an e-mail authentification system. Of course only for people that take the 1-2 minutes of time to confirm their e-mail address. The amount of gold spam has greatly decreased over the past weeks. Only remains the hoping that they will effectively tackle the botting issue too instead of just babbling about it.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Gaoxin
    News Flash!Got my account back!  1. Not a single item was restored.2. All Chars are still on some US server. (My chars were transfered from GER to US)3. I had 40G, 3 weeks ago b4 I got hacked, now I have: 1G!4. All my gems that I exchanged for gold are gone too. Lost: ~4800 gems, thats around 60 euros.5. All my twinks are completly naked.
    Some of this doesn't make sense.

40g after a couple week launch? How'd you manage that? Oh I know, you BOUGHT from gold sellers... yeah that'll get your account hacked.

And lol "twinks", there aren't twinks in this game.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Dude, when you write something out of frustration, your brain tends to confuse stuff. I got hacked 2 times. WoW, which was restored in 1-2 days. And now its GW2.

Yes I made a lot of gold in the first weeks and TP wasnt permanently down. Anet enabled it for a few hours and shut it down again, when they tested it. And once they opened it I was able to make money by crafting stuff, selling it and buying mats for low prices. Something that was possible in the early game. Now everyone is 80, maxed out his/her crafting, and is competing. I also exchanged my gold for gems, which was awesome at the beginning, because you were able to get up to 7-8 gems for 2 silver, now its 4-5 for 2 silver.

My twink is lvl49 and was fully equiped with rare stuff, which is now all gone too.

My password was a combination of 6 letters and 5 numbers, with the use of upper case. It wasn't that bad. But still, why cant they restore everything, like any other mmorpg company? Why cant they lock an account? Why is my case being handled by 6 ppl, and why do I have to submit some of the information _TWICE_? Shit, they wanted to know my GW1 CDKEY. I bought GW1 back in 2006, but they still asked for the damn GW1 key, after 1.5 or 2 weeks of processing.

Like which companies? Truth is, most companies dont, very few do. I can only think of like 2 that will do so under normal circumstances. In most cases of people getting hacked its due to their own problems (lack of security, buying gold, etc) and its not worth it for most companies to spend the time & resources / pay the staff to bother with restoring peoples accounts.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Like which companies? Truth is, most companies dont, very few do. I can only think of like 2 that will do so under normal circumstances. In most cases of people getting hacked its due to their own problems (lack of security, buying gold, etc) and its not worth it for most companies to spend the time & resources / pay the staff to bother with restoring peoples accounts.

this is a pathetic opinion for pathetic companies.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by TrunksZ

It wasn't the first I have seen. Rift in the first 3 weeks had so many accounts hacked also. Do people remember that?

Also, WoW had them in the first several months also.

Please stop saying Fanboi's - it is obvious to anyone that popular games will be targets. I think A,Net does need to step up it's game on this but I also think people need to take responsibility and make sure you have very complex passwords. It is a complex problem and there are no really good ways to deal with it - if they put mega security, people will complain - not enough security, people will complain.

I have been lucky so far, although I did get one fishing email about my password - I realized before the hacking came out that it was a fishing email (the source and headers told me that on the email). So I went to the official site, changed my password, etc. Then it turned out that GW2online forum was hacked. Since I ha ve a login there I figured that is where they got my email from.

Sorry to the OP - at least you still have your characters - I know many in Rift actually had their characters erased. It seems to me the OP really spent the first week or two of the game playing 8-12 hours a day and also bought gems - I have not yet and don't think I will.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

at least 6 companies support character restores

Blizzard, SOE, Turbine, Trion, Funcom, Mythic/EA and probably many more

even ANET has said its important to them

we don’t have the capacity to reinstate characters right now. This is something we take really seriously, we are gathering the data, and we’ll be able to offer this service in the future.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.