Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Not Going F2P Anytime Soon"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-02-the-secret-world-post-mortem-no-its-not-going-free-to-play-any-time-soon

So you can stop saying "I'll play when its F2P".

If it interests you, buy it and play it, you won't regret it.

Good interview for other information too.

Comments

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Originally posted by Melieza

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-02-the-secret-world-post-mortem-no-its-not-going-free-to-play-any-time-soon

Wasn't Swtor saying the same thing? We know how that ended...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

There goes my hope at playing TSW....

On the topic I found this interesting:

"MMOs are hugely expensive, and of course Guild Wars 2 has sold a lot, and of course it's a big success. That game cost a lot of money and they're going to have to sell a lot of copies, especially without a subscription model. It is a dangerous path," Tornquist said. "It might be the right path for MMOs; as a consumer, as a player, I appreciate it. As a developer I'm with Joel in thinking that it is unfortunate for a lot of smaller companies or medium-sized companies."

First, they make it sound like TSW didn't cost much so they don't have to sell that much. Then its interesting that they acknowledge the threat that is GW2 the MMO and GW2 the business model.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Anytime soon is such a interesting phrase.  It sounds reassuring but doesn't really say anything.  They pretty much just said "We are not announcing a date for F2P today"

Originally posted by udon

Anytime soon is such a interesting phrase.  It sounds reassuring but doesn't really say anything.  They pretty much just said "We are not announcing a date for F2P today"

To be honest, as a fan of a the game if they say what they said today and a few months down the road they go f2p I would be hella pissed....so I expect them to though it out for a long time.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Or... wait longer than soon and then play it when it is F2P.

I actually prefer subscription models, but I think box costs are a far outdated premise. So when there is a subscription game I'm interested in I typically wait until it is in the free trial directly into a subscription mode to play it. If it doesn't make it that far then I just see it as me saving myself money.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Actually, if you read the article, they say they have plans up through May 2013, so that is what they mean by "anytime soon".  They'll do a review of things then and decide from there.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Stockholders and Subs will dictate there F2P model, my guess sooner then later.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Kuppa

There goes my hope at playing TSW.... On the topic I found this interesting:"MMOs are hugely expensive, and of course Guild Wars 2 has sold a lot, and of course it's a big success. That game cost a lot of money and they're going to have to sell a lot of copies, especially without a subscription model. It is a dangerous path," Tornquist said. "It might be the right path for MMOs; as a consumer, as a player, I appreciate it. As a developer I'm with Joel in thinking that it is unfortunate for a lot of smaller companies or medium-sized companies."First, they make it sound like TSW didn't cost much so they don't have to sell that much. Then its interesting that they acknowledge the threat that is GW2 the MMO and GW2 the business model. 

Ragnar sounds sad. Pretty stupid of them to include a cash shop + sub. Even if its just vanity. Sounds like their plan of having best of both worlds backfired and he feels sad. Lol
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

"MMOs are hugely expensive, and of course Guild Wars 2 has sold a lot, and of course it's a big success. That game cost a lot of money and they're going to have to sell a lot of copies, especially without a subscription model. It is a dangerous path," Tornquist said. "It might be the right path for MMOs; as a consumer, as a player, I appreciate it. As a developer I'm with Joel in thinking that it is unfortunate for a lot of smaller companies or medium-sized companies."

First, they make it sound like TSW didn't cost much so they don't have to sell that much. Then its interesting that they acknowledge the threat that is GW2 the MMO and GW2 the business model.

I read that quote simply as them saying smaller companies can't do a buy to play MMO model because they would go broke trying to keep it running.

I call B.S. on it only because GW2 is a F2P game that you buy not a B2P game so that model, as awful as I think it is, should be able to be done by smaller studios. A true B2P I could see being problematic for a small studio as keeping the servers running with no added income could be tricky. As soon as it is F2P with a box price it shouldn't be an issue as the store will keep the money coming in as you continue to operate.

The oddest thing is as a player and consumer I despise the GW2 model. It takes the F2P model, where you just jump into the game and then fund them by using the store and sticks a $60 access fee to get to the store. I think it is a step in the wrong direction for the consumer.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I read that quote simply as them saying smaller companies can't do a buy to play MMO model because they would go broke trying to keep it running.

I call B.S. on it only because GW2 is a F2P game that you buy not a B2P game so that model, as awful as I think it is, should be able to be done by smaller studios. A true B2P I could see being problematic for a small studio as keeping the servers running with no added income could be tricky. As soon as it is F2P with a box price it shouldn't be an issue as the store will keep the money coming in as you continue to operate.

The oddest thing is as a player and consumer I despise the GW2 model. It takes the F2P model, where you just jump into the game and then fund them by using the store and sticks a $60 access fee to get to the store. I think it is a step in the wrong direction for the consumer.

The Suits and bottom lines will decide, what brings in the most profit.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

I also don't believe that a small company can't do it. Anet did it, there first game was a B2P mmo. They sold enough to back GW2. So it can be done.

I love the model, its what we've been doing SINCE THE BEGGINNING OF GAMING! Just pay a base price and play the game, all this sub bs is what I can't stand.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

There goes my hope at playing TSW....   On the topic I found this interesting: "MMOs are hugely expensive, and of course Guild Wars 2 has sold a lot, and of course it's a big success. That game cost a lot of money and they're going to have to sell a lot of copies, especially without a subscription model. It is a dangerous path," Tornquist said. "It might be the right path for MMOs; as a consumer, as a player, I appreciate it. As a developer I'm with Joel in thinking that it is unfortunate for a lot of smaller companies or medium-sized companies." First, they make it sound like TSW didn't cost much so they don't have to sell that much. Then its interesting that they acknowledge the threat that is GW2 the MMO and GW2 the business model.  

I also don't believe that a small company can't do it. Anet did it, there first game was a B2P mmo. They sold enough to back GW2. So it can be done.

I love the model, its what we've been doing SINCE THE BEGGINNING OF GAMING! Just pay a base price and play the game, all this sub bs is what I can't stand.

Completely agree.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Actually, if you read the article, they say they have plans up through May 2013, so that is what they mean by "anytime soon".  They'll do a review of things then and decide from there.

But they never say those plans are incompatable with F2P.  Just because they have content plans to May 2013 doesn't mean they don't fit into F2P.  F2P games need content updates to.

Spring/Summer next year probably isn't to far off if you think about it.  It will take a bit to build the F2P business model, code the changes and run them though testing so 6-8 months doesn't sound off to me at all.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I think they are going to make mistake if they won't go F2P. They are already pre-prepared right?

I would love to try TSW as I enjoy good story, but I am not willing to pay subs for 2 MMOs and I am not going to choose F2P option in SWTOR (I am too attached to my 16 characters LOL). But I would use cash shop  for additional  content, mounts, appearance in TSW /shrug.

I think that many people would try TSW if it would have Freemium option similar to what SWTOR will be introducing in November. P2P games are starting to look like dinosaurs in era of hundreds of good F2P or B2P games. It's a dying model.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by vgamer

I have to agree with Vgamer here. While TSW tries to do something different, I feel it ultimately falls short. There are better games out there that are f2p, why waste $15 on this unless you really like it? Niche product at best imho

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

They did the same song and dance right up to the day before they announced F2P for AoC.

Interview means absolute squat.

Agree the rhetoric they used with AOC was very reassuring, right up until the point they announced it was going free to play.

Considering the fact Funcom might actually be moving out of the MMO market altogether 'anytime soon' from a company switching focus might just mean TSW will not have chance to go free to play.  This is a company that stated they are going to make smaller games without the development overheads.  In other words, they aren't making MMO's anymore.   Though as it's their primary source of income I imagine, they won't say too much until they have something new to sell.   For the moment they just need to milk as much money as possible from their current product line, possibly why for example Anarchy Online is heading for Steam and new incentives are to be introduced.  Probably the same reason TSW is 50% off at the moment.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

I have to agree with Vgamer here. While TSW tries to do something different, I feel it ultimately falls short. There are better games out there that are f2p, why waste $15 on this unless you really like it? Niche product at best imho

Exept Niche games are the best games. It's the games that try to please everyone that are crap. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Nope. They will have to start refunding / compensating people who bought a lifetime sub, if they go free 2 play within the first year!

So if they decide to go free 2 play, it won't be until after july 2013, when lifetime subsribers got their RoI.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Nope. They will have to start refunding / compensating people who bought a lifetime sub, if they go free 2 play within the first year!

So if they decide to go free 2 play, it won't be until after july 2013, when lifetime subsribers got their RoI.

Not necessarily, if they also have a sub model. Lifers will just be constant "VIP" people. Even STO offers lifetime subs now in F2P with added perks like playable Borg

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

I wouldn't be so sure they have to do anything when push comes to shove.  According to Funcom customer service they don't do refunds.   Also consumer rights which I have looked into, unless you live in Norway, are also moot.  You would probably have to take a legal action to get any entitled sort of refund or compensation. 

Though Funcom would probably get around things by giving you 'Funcom points' to spend on their Fashion World or Lego game :).  From stark urban horror to models and blocky people... oh the irony.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by fallenlords

I wouldn't be so sure they have to do anything when push comes to shove.  According to Funcom customer service they don't do refunds.   Also consumer rights which I have looked into, unless you live in Norway, are also moot.  You would probably have to take a legal action to get any entitled sort of refund or compensation. 

Though Funcom would probably get around things by giving you 'Funcom points' to spend on their Fashion World or Lego game :).  From stark urban horror to models and blocky people... oh the irony.

Try to read that Mr. fallenlords. Quite sums up your approaching to every single bit of this game.

http://pthppt.com/index.php/rants/10-gotcha

Hodor!

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Exept Niche games are the best games. It's the games that try to please everyone that are crap. 

The only thing "niche" about TSW is the setting.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

TSW didn´t interest me enough to buy it & pay a monthly fee....

...so i guess i´ll pass.

TY for the info though ;)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

And? it is still niche even though i disagree with you that setting is the only thing niche about the game. TSW difficulty is above your average themepark MMO where you roll mobs with eyes closed. That is also what puts off a lot of players because they can't just zip through zones.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

...and the approach of gameplay to classic adventures (see all the people who googled and rushed through the investigations)

...and the approach to intense and deep storytelling (see all the people who rushed through and wouldnt even know what the hell dungeons are about)

...and the significantly higer difficulty level compared to the mainstream hits like WoW or GW2 (see all the "blue mountain is so hard"-threads)

You cant catch millions today with these things, because computer games getting dumber and dumber today. Yay, we need more shooters and less talk!?! /facepalm

Hodor!