Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of rig do you need to run this game on max in WvW?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I have a rig with Intel i5 running around 3 Ghz and a GForce GTX 460 and in WvW I have to turn the settings down to medium-low not to have a slideshow in hectic battles. I have 6 GB ram so I dont think that is an issue...

So my question is, what kind of rig would I need to run this game on high in WvW? And please no super computers which costs a fortune, I am looking for something sensible.

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I used max settings yesterday on an intel i5 3750k, 3.4 GHZ 8MB1600mhz and using a nvdia 560ti without much problem. This is probably helped by the fact that the environment in WvW is rather plain.

BTW I'm of the opinion that all your core components (GPU, CPU, memory and MB) have to be good and not just your CPU and GPU.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    i7 2600K, 8 gb of RAM, HD 6870 2Gb. My video card probably bottlenecks me a bit, so I can't turn supersampling on, but other than that, it can handle WvW and other resource-heavy areas with no noticeable FPS drops. I turned high-res character textures off, though, because they only affect other players and NPCs, so the difference is barely noticeable.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Alright, so currently I am looking to buy a rig with i5 3570k - 3.4 Ghz, Ati HD 7850 and Corsair 8 GB 2x4 GB XMS3. I believe it should be able to run this in heavy WvW environment on High.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

As far as I know this game is still fairly CPU limited, even with the recent GPU optimization.  My rig, while not top the line, is pretty overkill for GW2 and thus I have very little problem running it with EVERY GFX option maxxed on 1920x1080 and still pull 45-60 FPS no matter what the situation.  Have you consider overclocking your CPU?

My Specs (well those that matter anyway)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel i5 2500k (OC 4.5Ghz, very stable)

16GB 1600 RAM

GPU: 2 x Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1GB (SLI)

GW2 installed on SSD

And for those that are interested the system runs fairly cool even at load.

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Arakazi

I used max settings yesterday on an intel i5 3750k, 3.4 GHZ 8MB1600mhz and using a nvdia 560ti without much problem. This is probably helped by the fact that the environment in WvW is rather plain.

BTW I'm of the opinion that all your core components (GPU, CPU, memory and MB) have to be good and not just your CPU and GPU.

If you are just walking around with no zergs or keep battles going on yeah. Otherwise that setup will not allow you to keep playable framerates at all.

My rig:

I5 2500K at 4.5ghz

16GB

GTX560ti @986mhz

120gb SSD

my PvE settings:

All high/max

*shadows high

*native rendering

50 - 100+fps

sPvP settings:

All high

*reflections /medium

*shadows medium

*native rendering

60-100+fps

(can be the same as my PvE settings no problem but in sPvP i prefer a bit higher fps)

WvWvW settings during a keep battle or any other big fight :

Basically everything low with a few exeptions for the sake of retaining some aesthetics.

i dont remember the fps since i havent done much of it

WvWvW when there are no big battles around :

Same as my PvE settings including fps.

No way you can run WvWvW in a big battle with the same settings as in PvE and FPS with a 3.4ghz clocked cpu and standard clock 560ti. The whole thing slows down to a crawl and becomes as slideshow basicaly, nothing playable at least.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is really your GFX card that cant handle max, the 460 is a few year old standard gamer card. Get a 680 instead and you will be able to run it fine, a 580 or 670 should work as well.

Heck, my 480 can do it even, but my buddies with 460 cant, not even the ones with really good CPUs and 16 gig ram.

No need to completely change the rig or anything, the rest of it is good enough. Good GFX card is sadly pretty expensive but they last longer. A SSD is the second addition I would buy if I where you, it will make loading times so much faster.

Clearing out all crap that starts with your computer also helps somewhat to improve performance and that is free. I recommend reinstalling windows from scratch every 2 years or so to take away all junk and keep the registry in good shape.

Of course MMOs gets more optimized with time so you will get better framerate as time goes as long as you udate your drivers now and then.

Originally posted by Loke666

It is really your GFX card that cant handle max, the 460 is a few year old standard gamer card. Get a 680 instead and you will be able to run it fine, a 580 or 670 should work as well.

Heck, my 480 can do it even, but my buddies with 460 cant, not even the ones with really good CPUs and 16 gig ram.

No need to completely change the rig or anything, the rest of it is good enough. Good GFX card is sadly pretty expensive but they last longer. A SSD is the second addition I would buy if I where you, it will make loading times so much faster.

Clearing out all crap that starts with your computer also helps somewhat to improve performance and that is free. I recommend reinstalling windows from scratch every 2 years or so to take away all junk and keep the registry in good shape.

Of course MMOs gets more optimized with time so you will get better framerate as time goes as long as you udate your drivers now and then.

If he keeps his CPU running at 3.4 ghz it is not going to help him that much in WvWvW.

Originally posted by Xten

If you are just walking around with no zergs or keep battles going on yeah. Otherwise that setup will not allow you to keep playable framerates at all.

My rig:

I5 2500K at 4.5ghz

16GB

GTX560ti @986mhz

120gb SSD

my PvE settings:

All high/max

*shadows high

*native rendering

50 - 100+fps

sPvP settings:

All high

*reflections /medium

*shadows medium

*native rendering

60-100+fps

(can be the same as my PvE settings no problem but in sPvP i prefer a bit higher fps)

Basically everything low with a few exeptions for the sake of retaining some aesthetics.

No way you can run WvWvW in a big battle with the same settings as in PvE and FPS with a 3.4ghz clocked cpu and standard clock 560ti. The whole thing slows down to a crawl and becomes as slideshow basicaly, nothing playable at least.

No... I have played in the zerg and seiges using this setup and it's fine. The only thing that I should of mentioned is that the 560ti I have is factory overclocked and I turn AA off. I get a smooth framerate throughout and I have no reason to lie about this.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

An i5 2500K or 3*70K CPU would be best, but people are having issues with the latest GPU's (like the Nvidia 680 and the ATI 6800 series). The new AMD FX Bulldozer is proving to be problematic and should be skipped and wait for the Piledriver to see how they turn out.

I'm using an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T overclocked to 3.8GHz, 4GB DDR2 ram, Geforce 560Ti and I don't have problems in WvW, granted the last patch lowered my min fps a little so it randomly dips below 30fps. :(

My rig:

I5 2500K at 4.5ghz

16GB

GTX560ti @986mhz

120gb SSD

my PvE settings:

All high/max

*shadows high

*native rendering

50 - 100+fps

sPvP settings:

All high

*reflections /medium

*shadows medium

*native rendering

60-100+fps

No... I have played in the zerg and seiges using this setup and it's fine. The only thing that I should of mentioned is that the 560ti I have is factory overclocked and I turn AA off. I get a smooth framerate throughout and I have no reason to lie about this.

My OC on my 560 is far above any factory OC out there. My CPU runs 1.1Ghz faster

I am curious.What sort of FPS do you consider smooth?

Small battles sure i retain 'smooth' framerates,relatively. But in full out wars nu uh nothing acceptible with everything on high/max and i dont have any performance issues otherwise.

I

My OC on my 560 is far above any factory OC out there. My CPU runs 1.1Ghz faster

I am curious.What sort of FPS do you consider smooth?

Small battles sure i retain 'smooth' framerates,relatively. But in full out wars nu uh nothing acceptible with everything on high/max and i dont have any performance issues otherwise.

I regard anything below 25fps as not really acceptable, and 60fps as the sweet spot and anything above that is kinda showing off. In WvW I hit between 30fps - 60fps which is fine by me. In another rig I have a 2.4ghz core2 with a 550ti which runs okayish in medium settings in WvW.