Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

one thing i think "they lied"

13»

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by jackwu10

sorry i do not play gw1. no shame of hiding it. u cant expect every customer need to do all these research to play a game tbh. 

u like ur game, i respect u. but do i really have to know everything about this game from the beginning? 

maybe i am really wrong, maybe if i do play gw1 i will know why world works, and the reason they release the map with half of them blocked. 

this thread already went on wrong focual point. and i dont wanna fight about it. 

Yes you really do need to know from the beginning. If you did then you would understand why they are not hiding parts of the map. They are not lying to you.

No one is asking you to research, I know its asking a lot for todays consumer to know anything, but knowing that the world we play in was not invented for this game but carries over would tell you why the map is bigger than you can play. The FACT is the map and lands were established years ago, you cant just pretend they are not there when the lore of the game and the map are already well known to many besides you.

Very true and I think it's really just common sense aswell to be honest.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Let's be honest.  There are over 5200 solar systems in EVE.  I could spend decades in one single solar system, and not be able to say I've been everywhere within it.  All other game's just don't offer such a big playable area.

:P

Ok ok, go back to discussing how a map is somehow the developers lying.  If I were the OP I woulda brought up the Manifesto video, or town mini-games, but I guess a map showing what the world is shaped like is a lie too?  lol.

• EspionEspion Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

is the actual content that wasnt released but appears in map.

means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it.. 

design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked.

pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

And yet the total playable area is prolly twice the size of WoW and 10 times the size of Rift.

I am sorry but I don't see how that is possible. WoW has multiple expansions and their world is huge. I highly doubt that GW2 has more playable content / size at launch then WoW has right now.

Then you haven't seen the world. :) Sorry to inform you but the world is huge and it's not some top layer only, it has depth three layers of it in the open spaces and the nooks and crannies and all the little hidden caves underwater and above. It does have more open world content then WoW ever did both above and below water and it has dungeons ON TOP of those expansive places. If you went to see the cities alone you would know that the only city in gw2 that fits the size of the standard cities in both WoW and Rift is Rata Sum and the only reason why that is so small is due to the people there being tiny and their belief in making every geometric.

Borrow a friends pc who's playing it, walk around the Black Citadel, Divinity's Reach, and Hoelbrak. When the cities are that big, it shows you how much time and care went into the game.

I submit to you that the first release of GW2 has more content in it the WoW with 7 years of expansions on LAUNCH DAY, what do you seriously think will happen when they release expansions? hmmm? Big World. seriously. and just think. you actually get rewarded for exploration, not just some numbers on a achievement board. spssh.

You are out of your friggen mind.  I would agree about Rift, but you are way off about WoW.  GW2 doesn't compare to wow's max lvl content.  Which is what it is all about whether you agree or not.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Well they never lied, they just 'expand' on the truth and manipulate it in ways to better improve of the image of the game. Its not the first time, this happens a lot of times in games, GW2 just happened to do this ALOT.
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Espion

means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it.. 

design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked.

pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

And yet the total playable area is prolly twice the size of WoW and 10 times the size of Rift.

I am sorry but I don't see how that is possible. WoW has multiple expansions and their world is huge. I highly doubt that GW2 has more playable content / size at launch then WoW has right now.

Then you haven't seen the world. :) Sorry to inform you but the world is huge and it's not some top layer only, it has depth three layers of it in the open spaces and the nooks and crannies and all the little hidden caves underwater and above. It does have more open world content then WoW ever did both above and below water and it has dungeons ON TOP of those expansive places. If you went to see the cities alone you would know that the only city in gw2 that fits the size of the standard cities in both WoW and Rift is Rata Sum and the only reason why that is so small is due to the people there being tiny and their belief in making every geometric.

Borrow a friends pc who's playing it, walk around the Black Citadel, Divinity's Reach, and Hoelbrak. When the cities are that big, it shows you how much time and care went into the game.

I submit to you that the first release of GW2 has more content in it the WoW with 7 years of expansions on LAUNCH DAY, what do you seriously think will happen when they release expansions? hmmm? Big World. seriously. and just think. you actually get rewarded for exploration, not just some numbers on a achievement board. spssh.

You are out of your friggen mind.  I would agree about Rift, but you are way off about WoW.  GW2 doesn't compare to wow's max lvl content.  Which is what it is all about whether you agree or not.

What do you mean whether you agree or not? Are you trying to claim that your belief is the only valid one? How silly. Max level content is not the only part of a game. Saying what you said is just silly.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by smh_alot

This isn't entirely true. I mean, WoW is massively detailed too as a world, with a high content density, yet it managed to use a different world design architecture that allows seamless traveling between zones. From what I've seen, ArcheAge that has a huge and highly detailed world allows the same seamless traveling. It's just different design choices that each company made.

Well, to be fair, GW2 and WoW are nowhere near the same league in the graphics department. While I wished GW2 graphic engine was more modern than DX9, it still looks pretty good on a 26" or bigger monitor. WoW in comparison looked horrid in anything bigger than 15", and that was back in 2008. The decision for WoW's simplistic graphics and focus on animation is understandable, but undeniable. On the other hand, it is understandable that a game with no tax (aka subscription) for server maintenance will need a more lightweight system than one that demands a subscription per month.

Originally posted by korent1991

To be honest... I think waypoints behind every corner with instant teleportation ability makes the world feel smaller than it would with precious mounts since I get instantly wherever I want to be after my first visit there to unlock the WP.

Waypoint travel is expensive. It costs at least two durability deaths to travel from one point to the other. I wouldn't use it unless I needed to move from one end of a zone to another or to just move to an entirely different zone.

I'm not sure where that mythical massive content is. From my point of view, GW2 has about the same content in terms of time needed to conclude as, say TSW. Without changing gaming habits for either title I've managed to complete TSW PvE content in a bit less than two months. Now in GW2 during the first month of gameplay I have 100% map completion, a bit over half jumping puzzles solved, about halfway up crafting skills (don't usually enjoy crafting), collected over 500.000 karma, bought 3 PvP weapons worth about 1000 badges of honor in total and completed the dungeons without farming them. I reckon in two months I will have everything worthwhile completed.

Maybe it is a combination of years of mmorpg gaming, but even vanilla WoW content lasted much much longer than two months.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

if u look at picture below, one feels like half finished game, one feels complete. 

imageimage

I actually think the image on the right looks more like a finished game. 

Chill and stop getting upset over something extremely trivial.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by smh_alot

This isn't entirely true. I mean, WoW is massively detailed too as a world, with a high content density, yet it managed to use a different world design architecture that allows seamless traveling between zones. From what I've seen, ArcheAge that has a huge and highly detailed world allows the same seamless traveling. It's just different design choices that each company made.

Well, to be fair, GW2 and WoW are nowhere near the same league in the graphics department. While I wished GW2 graphic engine was more modern than DX9, it still looks pretty good on a 26" or bigger monitor. WoW in comparison looked horrid in anything bigger than 15", and that was back in 2008. The decision for WoW's simplistic graphics and focus on animation is understandable, but undeniable. On the other hand, it is understandable that a game with no tax (aka subscription) for server maintenance will need a more lightweight system than one that demands a subscription per month.

Some additions on this: at 2005, WoW's graphics weren't that bad at all or far behind other contemporary MMO's, and its object density, the number of various objects it needed to render was higher than most other MMO's in that time. Yet GW was zoned, EQ2 was zoned, but WoW was not. Additionally, what you're saying doesn't apply at all to ArcheAge, that has gorgeous, detailed graphics while still a seamless world.

I agree though that GW2's infrastructure is a more cost efficient and lightweight system in total server load bc of its system of zones, overflow etc.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I see your EQ2 and raise you a LOTRO. Another seamless game, very scalable engine up to the point of being DX11 (some features anyway) today, launched a bit after WoW. WoW looks the way it does because their developers want it to run on toasters, if possible. EQ2 cranked up to max settings was unplayble with the computer of it's time (partly due to poor original optimisation of course, but also partly because it was made with a view to the future).
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    there is a dead end road in Lions Arch that has some guys guarding a big gate. I bet that gate will be open before too long

I want to see the Tengu! Did you see the bridge and size of the wall on the other side?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Espion

what max level content? 1 zone and few raid dungeons? OH HOW MASSIVE!

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Only 1/3 or 1/4 is playable on the continent of Tyria. So expect alot of game updates before the expansion...or the expansion.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery
    there is a dead end road in Lions Arch that has some guys guarding a big gate. I bet that gate will be open before too long

I want to see the Tengu! Did you see the bridge and size of the wall on the other side?

THIS THIS. I want that Game Update now!

I expect a world event in that zone, a huge huge, maybe a full scale war and then you have access to that new zone.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

There's also a locked gate with 2 soldiers guarding them at the entrance to the Crystal Desert and they talk about how nobody is allowed to enter because you will never survive to return.

Then there's the tengu who locked them selves up in the "Dominion of Winds" to decide if they should forge alliance with other races of tyria and who their enemies are. What happened to them last time in Cantha certanly is a huge factor for this decision.

There's also mentioned in the books that the 4th dragon might rise. Which will be the 4th dragon that races of tyria will have to deal with? That might bring the tengu to help others save the continent?

OR, the Primordus might be the biggest reason why the Tengu would cry for help from the rest of the world since they have a big problem with the destroyers - and they are already on the surface (but only low population).

Tho then again, the quaggans are already on the surface more than they are under water. So Krait fled from the bubbles arising from the sea depths and they pushed the quaggans to the surface.

So that's 2 things, but there's still the crystal desert. I know nothing in particular about that besides that the kralkatorrik awakened there, so that might be the way we'll go to actually destroy him?

There's sitll the locked content above Jormag as well, where the "Eye of the North" was in GW1 and where we go for our HoM skins now.

Ofcourse, The Durmand Priory knows from ancient records that there are SIX dragons. Tho, there aren't any signs that they know anything about the Deep Sea Dragon or the 6th dragon besides the fact that they exist. (6th dragon - unknown, we know nothing about it, minions, powers, nothing)

This is something I found while snooping around... It's where it mentiones how races of tyria fought 6 Elder Dragons.

Highlight that part below if you want to read it. :)

“Mursaat, jotun, dwarves, seer, forgotten, the races that fought against the elder dragons and won as written in the tome of rubicon”

Really huge spoiler if you still didn't do your personal story.

When celebrating the defeat of the pathetic Zhaitan, there’s a women to the left of Destiny’s Edge. She says, “We’ve finished one fifth of our goal.” So they know of the Deep Sea Dragon.

There's also a hint for the 6 elder dragons at the Crucible of Eternity dungeon. The building has POIs at every corner and 1 of them is clearly dedicated to 1 Elder Dragon, it also has other 5 areas when 1 of them is Blue and it stands "under construction" and has a pool of water in the middle of it. It might be that he water dragon will be fully awoken soonish?

Atleast what we know is that we defeated only 1 elder dragon and we have 5 more to go. :D

BTW, for GW1 players.

spoiler

If you do the explorable Arah dungeon mode, you can find Ogden Stonehealer. He’s still alive and a part of the durmand. Also, he's a part of the lower lvl story line in norn personal story.You can find a POI at durmand priory where Ogden now lives.

-you've been warned.

conversation from npcs, Rurikton in the Reach. They're talking about us! :D

“Found any new scrolls?”
    “Yes! I found some rather remarkable scrolls about a group of adventurers some centuries ago.”
    “They escaped Ascalon right before the Searing, crossed the Kingdom of Kryta, joined and betrayed the White Mantle, and even faced a lich lord!”
    “Wow. Maybe someday, we’ll meet heroes like that.”

Who knows what they have up their sleeves for us :D

On topic. Here's the map of GW2 overlayed with GW1 cities as they were in GW1.

http://i.minus.com/i5ehlTmJSkaYv.jpg

As you can see, the whole map was there at GW1. Tho the surface wasn't the same since the water level was risen since the awakening of the elder dragons and much of this places can STILL BE FOUND in GW2 but they're mostly in ruins. As well, you can find graves of many heroes from GW1.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

lore and odds/ends

nice post :)

Originally posted by Nadia

lore and odds/ends

nice post :)

thanks! :)

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I'm sorry you're wearing blinders, but in Vanilla WoW, there were at least 6 different zones on the maps that where there, but not reachable because they were "blocked off" and  "missing".

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

1) Lying implies that they promised that content to begin with. They never did.

2) This game is set in a pre-existing world (created for GW1). In many areas they are using a lot of the same assets, though many are modified / updated w/ higher res textures / etc.

3) The game world GW2 has launched with is massive. Arguably on par with what WoW launched with, maybe even larger.

The game world already existed, and they carved out a manageable (yet incredibly large) chunk of that world to focus on for release. I really don't get what's with this new wave of 'they didn't give us enough of the world map!' complaints. It was made clear well before release that they weren't going to feature the full map. It was also highly speculated that these parts would be available in future updates & expansions. Just like how it was done w/ the first game.

Stop being so melodramatic.