Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game did you buy your first video card for?

Comments

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Voodoo 5 for the game Blade of Darkness. Man! that game was fun!
  • EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by grimal
    Wow.  I don't remember.  Maybe The Seventh Guest?

OMG The Seventh Guest!!!

On topic mine was for HL.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    EverQuest and it was the VooDoo Banshee 16mb
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I don't remember the specs or details now. But all I know was that I got into SWG beta and realized that my machine couldn't handle it. So I used my guest beta invite for my wife, bought two brand new computers for the both of us and we played the heck out of that game for years.

Earlier this year I bought us both new computers again so we could play SWTOR. We played the holy heck out of that game for 1 week, then less and less until it was just raid nights.... and then we cancelled our accounts.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

9600U for CoH.  I was briefly one of those 'top end' guys with the best card anyone was making (at the time).

Of course the 'best card anyone is making' often comes with a brand new but terribly flakey driver.

It had some serious heat problems too, fan insufficient to cool the gpu.  Half hour gaming = BSOD serious.  Plus assorted problems with double-sized card, required a bigger-than-normal power supply, couldn't sit near to a sound card...

$800 video cards are for guys who just can't bear to not have their equipment polished, I guess.  Personally, I haven't bothered with 'bleeding edge' since.  A year later the 9600U came on single-sized card/standard power reqs/driver that worked and 1/4 the price.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jeolmanjeolman Member UncommonPosts: 46

my first video card was an ATI  VGA, I bought it when I wanted to play Battle Chess, Before that all I had was an EGA card. Well  thats not actually true, I had a monochrome, CGA  and an EGA card before that. upgrading those was not for a game but happened when I switched from an XT , to a i286, and then to an i386. Shortly after upgrading to the i386 is when I went from 16 color EGA to VGA with a whoppimg 256 colors.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Anarchy Online. I played other MMO's but I always played them on my cousins computer. 
  • genryugenryu Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Not sure which videocard I bought, but it was for Everquest.
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I bought a Voodoo2 for FFVII.
  • Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Quake 2. I didn't actually buy it, my clan leader gave me original Voodoo (which happened after V2 came out). First one I did actually buy was Voodoo 3 PCI. Another guildie went to US and he got it for me for A$220. When they were officially released here in Oz, they had retail price of $399. One of the gaming sites joked they must have bought them over on a Learjet.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    My first computer with a graphics card that I bought was a Commodore 64, i didn't really buy it for a game, but i played games on it alot hehe.  Compared to today's cheapest graphics card it was insanely horrible lol.  It was good at the time though.  I wonder if it's worth anything today.  I still have it, and it probably still works :)
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Wasnt for any one particular game but it was a Matrox Millenium G200.

I wonder why Matrox dropped out of the gaming market, as that card was the shit back in the day.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

Everquest.

Bought a Voodoo accelerator with 12mb ram! Rest of the rig was pentium 150mmx and 32mb ram. Only had a 3.2gb hard drive and had to delete parts of windows to fit EQ on it lol.

SO many computer builds between then and now.....so very many.

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65
    the first time i bought new pc/new video card for is when AoC was about to be released :)  other then that i just bougth a new one when i felt that it was time.. 

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    SWG was my first.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

For guildwars 1, i was 13 and bought a nvidia geforce 6100 LE.

I remember thinking guild wars 1 was the prettiest game ever.

Boy things change.

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Dark Age of Camelot, back in 2002 because it was only guaranteed to work on about 10 tested video cards so I went out and bought one of them. (my current "Hercules" graphics card was not working on it)

OMG ME TOO HAHA, so epic i bought a TNT card 

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• DarkWaysDarkWays Member Posts: 31

DAoC first for time for making any changes to a computer. :-)

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

like many others have posted, it was a Voodoo, i'm pretty sure (although i keep seeing S3 ViRGE in my mind's eye)...

regardless, it was for MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat

cheers on the good topic :)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Voodoo for Quake 1 here....and all we had was transparent water surface textures....we loved it!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

First card was a Nvidia NV11 for Nox. I used to to play Ragnarok Online but ended up getting a Radeon 9250 for FF11 and WoW. I had to do A system rebuild well everything but the case for aion been using the same setup tell I ran into swtor and had to do another rebuild that didn't help. 

It was the NV11 in 2000 though the summer. 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Halo 3.

Yes I'm serious.

Had to get saved films to youtube somehow!

• MagnusAlanMagnusAlan Member UncommonPosts: 13
    VooDoo for EQ!
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Dark Age of Camelot. Worth it.

Then again for Oblivion. Not worth it. What an utter disappointment. What a piece of trash game. How could the company that made Morrowind screw up so badly?

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Quake 1, the first 3D hardware accelerated game. I bought a Monster 3D (voodoo 1 chip).

Ditto ;)

And i remember it as the most impressive hardware update i ever did , back then upgrading a vidéocard was like leaving stoneage =)