Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

half elf stats dont make sense

Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/races

okay thats just a minor detail, but that kinda doesnt make sense and its annoying me

human +2 const

elf +2 dexterity, +2 wisdom

half elf = breed mix of human and elf but has +2 const +2 charisma??? why not +2 wisdom or dexterity instead of the charisma... doesnt make sense

it just seems like you sacrifice lore and sense for the world for design choices that fit the game

Comments

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138

It's a mix of human and elf, the charisma bonus could be attributed for two main reasons:

The first one would be that the mixed breed could make a more attractive "human" amongst the general human community, being mixed with elf traits, their natural beauty can be slightly improved.

They are wanderlusty, and make for good adventuring company, hence they have more attractiveness.

I understand your point though and i agree, this is however how i would interpret the +2 to charisma.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    well he's right with one thing - dwarves are awesome!
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    I want to play as a halfman
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Its a bit silly, specially since in many cases 'charisma' isn't something usually a half race recieves, its often a more 'descriminated' mix so if anything a charisma penalty might be far more likely.
  • DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Its a bit silly, specially since in many cases 'charisma' isn't something usually a half race recieves, its often a more 'descriminated' mix so if anything a charisma penalty might be far more likely.

This is definately making more sense, the +2 charisma is rather a flimsy choosing for such a race, they should change that.

• PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

Well, speaking from DDO experience, half-elves are lucky to have a combination feat set which draws from both races.  This is incredibly useful for various kinds of spellcaster builds, rogues, and especially sorcerers whom also benefit from CHA.

On the topic of D&D lore, elves shun half-breeds so the above poster is correct in assuming the extra Charisma is due to exposure to Human society.  DUH!  ;P

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/races

okay thats just a minor detail, but that kinda doesnt make sense and its annoying me

human +2 const

elf +2 dexterity, +2 wisdom

half elf = breed mix of human and elf but has +2 const +2 charisma??? why not +2 wisdom or dexterity instead of the charisma... doesnt make sense

it just seems like you sacrifice lore and sense for the world for design choices that fit the game

Yep, Thats what Wizards of the Coast did and PWI is just following suit

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

You have to underestand that it's not only genetics which come into play here but social background as well. The half-elf is a race on it's own. Charisma isn't only good looks it comes from what the half-elf life is like. They love to travel and be around diverse groups of people they are natural leaders since they grow up not as outcasts but they are allways minotrity that has to fend for themselves.

Yeah they also fit the game design better in 4th edition erlier they had more of a roleplay value than anything else.

P.S. playing table top you can allways sway your natural bonuses with different background story if you make such effort no dungeon master will stop you from beeing half-elf with +2 to anything :P